- 结束，终了，完毕，告终， 终止，终结，停止
- 修养，优雅， 文雅
- vt. & vi. 结束,完成 bring to an end; complete
- [S][U]结束,完成,最后阶段 the end or last part
- [S][U]完成的或完美的状态 state of being finished or perfect
- a decorative texture or appearance of a surface (or the substance that gives it that appearance);
"the boat had a metallic finish"
"he applied a coat of a clear finish"
"when the finish is too thin it is difficult to apply evenly"
- the temporal end; the concluding time;
"the stopping point of each round was signaled by a bell"
"the market was up at the finish"
"they were playing better at the close of the season"
- a highly developed state of perfection; having a flawless or impeccable quality;
"they performed with great polish"
"I admired the exquisite refinement of his prose"
"almost an inspiration which gives to all work that finish which is almost art"
- the place designated as the end (as of a race or journey);
"a crowd assembled at the finish"
"he was nearly exhausted as their destination came into view"
- designated event that concludes a contest (especially a race);
"excitement grew as the finish neared"
"my horse was several lengths behind at the finish"
"the winner is the team with the most points at the finish"
- the downfall of someone (as of persons on one side of a conflict);
"booze will be the finish of him"
"it was a fight to the finish"
- event whose occurrence ends something;
"his death marked the ending of an era"
"when these final episodes are broadcast it will be the finish of the show"
- (wine tasting) the taste of a wine on the back of the tongue (as it is swallowed);
"the wine has a nutty flavor and a pleasant finish"
- the act of finishing;
"his best finish in a major tournament was third"
"the speaker's finishing was greeted with applause"
- come or bring to a finish or an end;
"He finished the dishes"
"She completed the requirements for her Master's Degree"
"The fastest runner finished the race in just over 2 hours; others finished in over 4 hours"
- finally be or do something;
"He ended up marrying his high school sweetheart"
"he wound up being unemployed and living at home again"
- have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical;
"the bronchioles terminate in a capillary bed"
"Your rights stop where you infringe upon the rights of other"
"My property ends by the bushes"
"The symphony ends in a pianissimo"
- provide with a finish;
"The carpenter finished the table beautifully"
"this shirt is not finished properly"
- finish eating all the food on one's plate or on the table;
"She polished off the remaining potatoes"
- cause to finish a relationship with somebody;
"That finished me with Mary"
- When do you finish your college course?
- She should finish with him he treats her very badly.
- I've finished with gambling it's a waste of money.
- That fever nearly finished him off.
- I'll finish off this dress in a few minutes; I'm just giving it the last finishing touches.
- Please put the saucepan away if you've finished with it.
- He was in at the finish and witnessed the excitement of the fans.
- You can come with us tonight if you want to be in at the finish.
- I want to see the job through to the finish.
- That's a smooth finish on furniture.
The new hotel's finished, but it's not yet furnished.
They start work early and finish late every day.
I can't come till I have finished.
Term finishes next week.
He didn't finish in time.
The performance has not finished yet.
The war hasn't finished yet.
The task finished.
He finished a famous scholar.
She finished the best student in her class.
That long climb almost finished me.
That shock almost finished her.
My answer finished him.
“Must I finish my composition in class?”“ No, you needn't.You may finish it after class.”
You will never finish that job unless you forget everything else and get down to it.
If the rain holds off for a few days more, they can finish the planting.
If you had not interfered,I should have finished my work by now.
The boy finished the cake just in a few bits.
What shall we have to finish the meal with?
They finished the bottle of beer between them.
When she finished the mending, she paired up the socks.
We decided to finish our plan more carefully.
The ground-work will soon be finished.
Once the winter ploughing is finished, it will be time to consider this question.
Everything is finished between us.
Hang on—I'm nearly finished.
They have finished laying the light transport railway.
Place the book back where you found it when you have finished reading.
As soon as he finished reading the letter, he flew into a rage and tore it into pieces.
There was a deadly silence after she finished speaking.
Do you think you can finish reading the novel within the week?
These are finished products.
Finished labours are pleasant.
He is putting the finishing stroke to the portrait.
The meeting was a fiasco from start to finish.
The two men fought to the finish.
At ten-thirty the dinner finally dragged to a finish.
He gives the last finish to the table.
A cigarette burned the finish on the table.
Her manners lack social finish.
His singing lacks finish.
- finish in (v.+prep.)
末端是… have (sth) at its end
The road finished in a narrow path. 这条公路的尽头是一狭窄的小径。
以…告终 come to an end in (a state)
The marriage finished in failure. 这桩婚姻以失败而告终。
The meeting finished in disorder. 会议在一片混乱中结束。
- 末端是… have (sth) at its end
- finish off (v.+adv.)
结束(某事)do the last part finish off
There are still a few jobs to finish off so we cannot be released for the time being.还有几项工作需要完成,所以我们暂且还不能松劲。finish sth ⇔ off
We finished off the work by noon.到中午我们的活就干完了。
I must finish off this sewing while light is good.趁光线还好,我得完成这针线活。
During the debate, the second debater in the positive party failed to finish off his statement within the time limit.在辩论会上,正方第二辩手没能在限定的时间内结束陈述。
I finally said we must finish off the war in Italy immediately.最后我说道我们必须马上结束在意大利的战争。用于 be ～ed 结构
His thesis is being finished off.他的论文快写完了。
〈非正〉杀死; 毁掉 kill; destroy sth finish sb ⇔ off
〔说明〕 finish off作此解时常不用于进行体。
In less than half an hour we finished off the two enemy companies.不到30分钟,我们就打垮了两个连的敌人。
That year pneumonia nearly finished off him.那一年,他几乎得肺炎死去。
The high fever nearly finished him off.那次高烧几乎使他送了命。
Her illness last year nearly finished her off.去年的那场病几乎要了她的命。
It was not the operation, but the fever that followed, which finished him off.不是手术,而是手术后的发烧使他死亡的。
吃光(某物); 耗尽(某物) eat or drink the last part; finish up sth finish sth ⇔ off
We finished off everything on the table.我们把桌上的饭菜统统吃光了。
Let's finish off the wine!干杯!
Whenever my cat finishes off her food, she will lick her lips.我的猫咪一旦吃得盆干碗净,就舔嘴抹舌的。
Old Smith came round for a chat and finished off the remains of my whisky.老史密斯过来和我聊天,把我剩下的威士忌也喝光了。
The pests finished off all the leaves of a pine tree.害虫把一棵松树的叶子全吃光了。用于 be ～ed 结构
Dishes served in restaurant are seldom finished off.饭馆里吃的饭菜常有剩余。
- 结束(某事)do the last part finish off
- finish up (v.+adv.)
〈非正〉结束,告终 end with finish up
You can finish up now.现在你可以结束了。
They will be going on a honeymoon tour, starting in Huangshan and finishing up in Xiamen.他们打算蜜月旅行,启程于黄山,结束于厦门。
I hope you won't finish up in jail.希望你不要以入狱而告终。finish up v-ing
He never dreamed that he would finish up owning such a lot of property.他做梦也想不到最终他会拥有这么多的财产。finish sth ⇔ up
I'll be back as soon as I finish up my business.我一办完事就回来。
They finished up a can of paint.他们用完了一罐油漆。
喝光 eat or drink all finish sth ⇔ up
I finished up all the food in the house.我吃光了屋里所有的食品。
We finished up everything there was on the table.我们把桌上的东西全吃完了。
He finished up the remains of the mutton for dinner.他把晚饭吃剩的羊肉全吃光了。
The hungry baby finished up all her mother's breast milk and still expected more.这个饥饿的婴儿喝干了妈妈的奶水后还想喝。
Do finish up the wine!Let's dance!把酒喝干!我们跳舞!用于 be ～ed 结构
Everything on the lunch table was finished up soon by the hungry children.桌上的午餐被饥饿的孩子们一扫而光。
- 〈非正〉结束,告终 end with finish up
- finish up with (v.+adv.+prep.)
以…告终 end up with (sth) finish up with sth
The rally finished up with the singing of the Internationale.大会最后以高唱《国际歌》结束。
- 以…告终 end up with (sth) finish up with sth
- finish with (v.+prep.)
〈非正〉用完,完成 complete; have no more use for
I'll borrow the scissors if you've finished with them. 如果你不再用剪子,我想借用一下。
When you finish with something you have borrowed, return it in time. 用完人家的东西要及时送还。
Please return the book to me when you finish with it. 这本书你读完时请还给我。
Please return it to me when you have finished with it. 你用完之后请立即还给我。
The famous professor finished with his academic life and went in to politics. 那位著名的教授弃教从政。
Tomorrow we shall have finished with this business once for all. 明天我们就能一劳永逸地把这事结束。
◇ 用于 be ～ed 结构
As soon as a melody is finished with, the composer writes another.It seems that he has been addicted to it. 每写完一首曲子,这位作曲家就接着写另一首,好像写上了瘾似的。
断绝关系,绝交 have nothing further to do with
I have finished with him. 我和他绝交了。
I've finished with Mary after the way she's treated me. 在玛丽那样对待我之后,我就与她绝交了。
They didn't finish with each other after divorce. 他们离婚后还有来往。
May I go if you have finished with me? 如果您问完了,我可以走了吗?
到(某日期)为止 come to an end on (a certain date)
Please send your accounts for the period finishing with 10 October. 请把截止到10月10号的账目送来。
〈非正〉停止惩罚 stop punishing (sb)
You will be sorry by the time I've finished with you! 等我惩罚完了你,你会感到懊悔的!
- 〈非正〉用完,完成 complete; have no more use for
- at the finish
结束时,终点 at the end
The competitors were close together at the finish. 比赛者几乎同时到达终点。
- 结束时,终点 at the end
- be in at the finish
结束时在场 be present at the end of sth
Having put all this work into the plan,I want to be in at the finish. 既然是我把这工作列入计划,我希望结束时在场。
- 结束时在场 be present at the end of sth
- fight to a/the finish
战斗到底 fight to the end
They are determined to fight to the finish. 他们决心战斗到底。
This battle is our last chance, we must fight to a finish. 这场战斗是我们最后的机会,我们必须战斗到底。
- 战斗到底 fight to the end
- finish a bottle of wine 喝完一瓶葡萄酒
- finish one's investigation 完成某人的调查研究
- finish one's life in loneliness 孤独中结束一生
- finish one's sandwich 吃完某人的三明治
- finish one's work 完成某人的工作
- finish school 毕业
- finish the milk 喝完牛奶
- finish the tenth grade 读完十年级
- finish the top of the class 在班上考第一名
- finish beautifully 完美地结束
- finish completely 完全结束
- finish hurriedly 匆匆结束
- finish partly 部分结束
- finish slowly 慢慢地结束
- finish off 结束,完成,吃光,杀死,毁掉
- finish off with one's work 结束工作
- finish up 完成
- finish between 两人一起完成
- finish by 以…结束
- finish in 以…结束
- finish with 完成,结束,与…断绝关系
- finish with a song 以一首歌作为结束
- finish with school 完成学业
To look upon death..as the finish of your sorrows!出自：A. M. Johnson
They were pieces in a game that still had to be played to a grim finish.出自：L. W. Meynell
When Jordan Baker had finished telling all this.出自：Scott Fitzgerald
The colonel finished the last war as a brigadier.出自：E. Waugh
- finish后接off表示“做完”或“杀死”; 后接up表示“吃光”或“做完”; 后接with时表示“用完…”或“断绝与…的关系”。
- be finished 有时是被动语态,有时是系表结构(尤用于人称结构)。例如:His homework has not been finished yet.他的作业尚未做完。(被动语态)At last I was finished on time, too.我也终于按时完工了。(系表结构)
- finish, finish up
finish和finish up意思差不多。其区别是：1.finish up的语气较强,含“最终结束”“彻底结束”的意味。例如:If I don't finish this work tonight,I'll surely finish it up tomorrow.如果今晚我完不成这项工作,明天肯定会完成的。2.在接动名词时, finish v -ing的意思是“结束做某事”; finish up v -ing意思是“以某事的方式结束”。例如:Could I borrow that novel when you've finished reading it?你读完那本小说后可以借给我吗?Every time she tried to argue with her husband, she finished up shaking with anger. 每次她与丈夫争吵,总是以她气得发抖而告终。
- finish, accomplish, complete, conclude, end
这组词都有“结束”“完成”的意思。它们之间的区别是:conclude是比较正式的用语,常指达成协议,作出决定后正式“结束”,如正式的会议、事物等的结束。也有达到逻辑上的结论的含义。因此常用来表示结束一篇著作、一篇演说或议论; accomplish指坚持不懈地努力完成某项计划或达到预期的目的; complete强调把未完成的东西或事情完成,有通过弥补某种欠缺使之成为完整之意; end指“停止”“结束”某一进程,但不强调是否已经圆满完成。常用来指旅行、讲演、争论、战争等结束或终止; finish强调完成自己所计划要干的或所规定的事情或动作,并含有最后加以润色,使之完美的意味。
- Have you finished the newspaper?
- Have you finished with the newspaper?
- I have finished the composition.
- complete finish end close conclude terminate accomplish
误 I have finished the book for a week.
正 I finished the book a week ago.
正 It is a week since I finished the book.
误 Could I borrow that book when you've finished to read it?
正 Could I borrow that book when you've finished reading it?
正 Could I borrow that book when you've finished it?
- ☆ 14世纪进英入语，直接源自古法语的finiss，意为结束；最初源自拉丁语的finire，意为限制，末尾，结束。
- finish:finish n. 完成, 结束, 磨光, 末道漆, 完美vt. 完成, 结束, 用完, 毁掉, 使完美vi. 结束, 终结, 停止, 终止 英英解释:名词finish:1. a decorative…