- [C][U]开始 first part
- [C][U]源,根源 source; origin
the event consisting of the start of something;
"the beginning of the war"
the time at which something is supposed to begin;
"they got an early start"
"she knew from the get-go that he was the man for her"
the first part or section of something;
"`It was a dark and stormy night' is a hackneyed beginning for a story"
the place where something begins, where it springs into being;
"the Italian beginning of the Renaissance"
"Jupiter was the origin of the radiation"
"Pittsburgh is the source of the Ohio River"
"communism's Russian root"
the act of starting something;
"he was responsible for the beginning of negotiations"
serving to begin;
"the beginning canto of the poem"
"the first verse"
- The trees are just beginning to leaf.
- He was biased against the plan from the beginning.
- The knowledge of sin is the beginning of salvation.
- We have already made a good beginning.
- English democracy had its beginning in the Magna Charta.
- He presented a new concept of the beginning of the universe.
- Fr.Sergio Ticozzi has recently finished his manuscript on the biographies of PIME fathers in Hong Kong from the very beginning of the mission.
- Stylistically, this image has undergone constant changes in China, beginning with a formative phase mainly relying on the stylistic influence from India.
- That’s why, in this beginning stage of my new habit, I've been focusing on pleasure.
- I have some problem about efficiency in my beginning term.
- School teaching, however good, can only make a beginning and create a desire for further advance.
- He had been taken to see several of the bosses, with the result that one had promised him a job the beginning of the next week.
- That was the beginning of my troubles.
- I missed the beginning of the film.
- You have the beginnings of a double chin.
- But it was only a small beginning.
- Start at the beginning and play the piece again.
- The beginning of the trip was dull.
- A good beginning makes a good ending.
- It is a good beginning.
- You've made a good beginning.
- When studying a foreign language, it is important to make a good beginning.
- It was an excellent beginning of the story.
- The idea of the airplane had its beginning with study of the flight of birds.
- Did democracy have its beginnings in Athens?
- Many big businesses start from small beginnings.
- This industry had its beginning in 1864.
- at the beginning
起初 in the beginning
- at the beginning of
在…初 when sth begins
- beginning of the end
预示结果的先兆 first clear sign of the final (and usually unfavourable) outcome
- from beginning to end
从头至尾 from start to its end
- from the beginning
从一开始 as soon as sth occurs
- in the beginning
在开始时 at the time of beginning
- auspicious beginning 吉祥的开端
- every beginning 每一个开端
- excellent beginning 极好的开端
- favourable beginning 良好的开端
- good beginning 良好的开端
- hopeful beginning 有希望的开端
- little beginning 微不足道的开端
- modest beginning 平淡无奇的开端
- promising beginning 大有希望的开端
- successful beginning 成功的开端
- suitable beginning 适当的开端
- unpromising beginning 毫无希望的开端
- unrecorded beginning 没有记载的开端
Thou o Lorde..art from the begynnynge.出自：Bible (Coverdale): Habakkuk
If you miss, you must penalize yourself, go back to the beginning, and start again.出自： B. Spock
The vexed question of whether it is possible..for time to have a beginning or ending has been debated by philosophers for over two thousand years.出自： P. Davies
- beginning指时间或时期的开始时,通常用作不可数名词,前面有时用介词,有时不用; 指事情的开始或开端时,通常用作可数名词,常用复数beginnings,前面可用介词in。
- beginning可构成介词短语(如in the beginning)或短语介词(如at the beginning of),前者一般用于时间,而后者则既可用于时间,又可用于空间。
from the beginning意为“从开始便……”。
He was opposed to the plan from the beginning.
at the beginning意为“起初”。
He was opposed to the plan at the beginning.
at the beginning和in the beginning用法一致，前者用得更多些，但说世界的开端时要用in。
In the beginning there were no living creatures.
- at the beginning, from the beginning, in the beginning
- 1.at the beginning是“起初…”,后来可能有变化; from the beginning是“从一开头便…”,并不是“后来才…”。例如:
- I opposed the plan at the beginning.我起初反对这个计划(也许后来不反对了)。
- I opposed the plan from the beginning.我一开始就反对这个计划(并不是后来才反对的)。
- 2.at the beginning和in the beginning没有太大的区别, in the beginning现在用得较少。但说“世界之初”时必须用in; 而在begin at the beginning这一短语里的at不可以改为in。例如:
- She disliked the new house at〔in〕 the beginning.她起初不喜欢这栋新房子。
- They begin at the beginning.他们从头开始。
- In the beginning there was no air.世界之初没有空气。
误 I have read the book from the beginning to the end.
正 I have read the book from beginning to end.
析 from beginning to end是固定习语,表示“从头至尾”, beginning和end之前不能加冠词。