- vi. 道歉；赔罪
- vi. & vt. 道歉,谢罪 say one is sorry, as for fault or for causing pain
acknowledge faults or shortcomings or failing;
"I apologized for being late"
"He apologized for the many typoes"
defend, explain, clear away, or make excuses for by reasoning;
"rationalize the child's seemingly crazy behavior"
"he rationalized his lack of success"
- He apologizes to her for not going to her party.
- I apologize if I hurt your feelings.
- You must apologize to him for your fault.
- Did he apologize?
- You forgot to apologize.
- You needn't apologize,Mr. Johnson.
- If I have made any mistakes,I'm ready to apologize.
- The least you can do is to apologize.
- I must apologize that if I offended you I didn't mean to.
- “Sorry I haven't called you yet,”Tom apologized .
- apologize for (v.+prep.)
为…道歉,替…道歉 say that one is sorry about (sth or doing sth)
apologize for sb/sth
Mrs. Moss apologized for her husband.
He apologized for his mistake.
他为自己的错误而道歉。apologize for v-ing
I apologized for stepping on her toes.
He apologized for having kept us waiting for hours.
I must apologize for not answering your letter in time.
- apologize to (v.+prep.)
向某人道歉 say that one is sorry to (sb)
apologize to sb
You must apologize to your sister.
你必须向你姐姐道歉。apologize to sb for sth/v-ing/wh-clause
He apologized to her for the delay in replying to a letter.
She apologized to her teacher for coming to school late.
You must apologize to her for having kept her waiting.
He apologized to her for stepping on her foot.
I felt constrained to apologize to you for what I had said.
I can justly apologize for my self that Necessity has no law.出自： Henry More
His friends bore him to the gate and..his host..returned to apologize.出自： E. Waugh
The head waiter, admitting his fault, apologized profusely for the oversight.出自： S. Naipaul
- apologize通常用作不及物动词,表示“向某人道歉”,接to sb; 表示“因某事道歉”,接for sth; 表示“因某事向某人道歉”,则接to sb for sth。
误 I'll apologize him later.
正 I'll apologize to him later.
析 apologize是不及物动词。表示“向某人道歉”要用apologize to sb 的形式,而不能在apologize后直接跟sb。那小孩因打破了我的眼镜而道歉。
误 The child apologized to me at breaking my glasses.
正 The child apologized to me for breaking my glasses.我因弄错了这件事而向你道歉。
误 I apologized to you to be mistaken about it.
正 I apologized to you for my being mistaken about it.服务员为自己的无礼向顾客道歉。
误 The waiter apologized to the customer in being so rude.
正 The waiter apologized to the customer for being so rude.
- ☆ 1590左右进入英语，直接源自希腊语的apologos；最初源自中古法语的apologie，意为因过错而说话。