- =begin 开始
- =big evil grin 咧嘴坏笑
- vt. & vi. 乞讨,乞求 ask (sb) for money, food (etc.)
- vt. & vi. 请求,恳求 ask earnestly or with deep feeling
call upon in supplication; entreat;
"I beg you to stop!"
make a solicitation or entreaty for something; request urgently or persistently;
"Henry IV solicited the Pope for a divorce"
"My neighbor keeps soliciting money for different charities"
ask to obtain free;
"beg money and food"
dodge, avoid answering, or take for granted;
"beg the question"
"beg the point in the discussion"
- She begs them not to punish her son severely.
- The boys hailed passing cars to beg a ride.
- He knew he had hurt her and begged her to forgive him.
- He lives by begging.
- He was too lazy to work and too proud to beg.
- His old mother was forced to beg.
- John was too lazy to work and too proud to beg.
- He begged along the street.
- Braving the biting wind, she went out to beg from door to door.
- Rather than get money in such a dishonest way, he would beg in the street.
- The old man was so poor that he had to beg in the street.
- He begged and begged until I said yes.
- Be quiet,I beg you.
- I begged his assistance.
- She begged her mother's forgiveness.
- They begged a lift in our car.
- He begged a meal.
- He begged his bread professionally.
- He was so poor that he had to beg his bread.
- A man of many trades begs his bread on Sundays.
- He begged money in the streets.
- He begged to be excused.
- He begged to be allowed to go home.
- I beg to be excused from the party.
- The child begged to go with mother.
- I beg to differ.
- I beg to suggest a different plan.
- I beg to inform you that your father is seriously ill.
- I beg to inform you that I have arrived at school safe and sound.
- I begged that he would stay.
- The children begged that they might come with us.
- He begged that I might help him.
- He begs that he may not be interrupted.
- I beg that they may not trouble us so much.
- I beg that you will honor me with your further orders.
- I beg that neither of you will say anything more.
- I beg that he leave.
- I begged that he assist me.
- I beg that he lend me a hand in carrying out this mission.
- The boy begged,“I want to go to school, father!”
- He held on to one of the men and begged:“Take me along, too.”
- I begged them to speak a word for him.
- They begged us not to punish him.
- She begged me not to do that again.
- She begged him to listen to her.
- I beg you to kindly reconsider my request.
- I beg you to do me a favour.
- I begged him to stay longer.
- Every day he begs me to take several books home with me.
- They begged him to rest, but he insisted on staying up to nurse the child.
- Mary begged her mother not to work too hard.
- The mother begged the boys not to make so much noise.
- She begged Donald to help her find Henchard.
- The economists repeatedly begged the government to introduce market economy mechanism into that country.
- I beg leave to disagree.
- I beg leave to address the Council.
- I agree to your objective, but I beg leave to ask how you are going to accomplish it.
- Every day they went to the road nearby and stood there begging.
- beg, steal or borrow
无论如何弄到 obtain by any means
beg, steal or borrow sth
I needed a special spanner and I couldn't beg, steal or borrow one anywhere.
This book is so well worth reading that it should be begged, stolen or borrowed rather than missed.
- beg for( v.+prep. )
恳求,乞求 make an urgent request for (action)
beg for sth
In those years they were forced to beg for a living.
I had to beg for my food at the age of seven.7
He went to his neighbour to beg for some milk to feed the motherless baby.
The old woman went from house to house, begging for bread.
那位老太太挨家挨户地讨饭。beg sb for sth
He begged us for money.
The tramp begged me for money.
The poor girl begged the passers-by for money.
May I beg you for a subscription?
They went from house to house, begging the people for bread.
他们挨家挨户地向人们讨饭。beg for sth
After the song ended, all clapped and begged for another.
He will never beg for his life.
He went to his relatives to beg for help.
The wounded soldier begged for mercy.
All the bandits knelt down and begged for mercy.
They begged for mercy for the sake of saving their own skin.
Her eyes are begging for an answer.
她的眼睛在恳求回答。beg sb for sth
The wounded soldier begged his enemy for mercy.
He begged us for alms.
The prisoner begged the judge for mercy.
- beg from( v. + prep. )
向…乞求,乞讨 ask humbly (for a gift) from (sb)
beg from sb
The beggar begged from the rich but they refused.
那叫花子向富人们乞讨,但遭到了拒绝。beg sth from sb
May I beg a cigarette from you?
James lived on without begging alms from others.
He begged a few pence from us.
From whom did you beg this money?
- beg of( v. + prep. )
〈正〉恳求,请求 ask (sb) politely
beg of sb to-v
I beg of you to keep quiet.
I beg of you not to run any risk.
I begged of him to stay.
I beg of you to keep still.
I beg of you not to mention her name again .
I beg of you not to reveal the secret.
He begged of me to help him.
May I beg of you to offer some constructive suggestions about my thesis?
I beg of you to kindly reconsider my request.
我恳求你费心重新考虑一下我的请求。beg sth of sb
May I beg some time of you?
He came to beg money of me.
He urgently begged a favour of me.
Down, therefore, and beg mercy of the Duke.
- beg off( v.+adv. )
恳求免除(责任、责罚等) (cause to) be excused (responsibility, punishment, etc.)
Mother told Tom to sweep away the dead leaves in the yard, but he tried to beg off.
Jane has just begged off, can you take her place in the team?
He promised to come and help but later begged off.
Half past four is an awkward time for me to attend a meeting, as I don't finish work until five, but I will try and beg off for half an hour.
要我四点半去开会很尴尬,因为我要五点才下班,但我打算想办法请半小时假。beg sb/sth ⇔ off
His mistake would have got him severely punished if they had not begged him off.
Considering his ill health, they begged him off.
Harry was running a fever, so we went to the office to beg him off from sentry duty that evening.
I'll have to beg Jane off, she's sick again.
He begged a week off.
- go begging
可以买得到 be able to buy
- I beg your pardon
- beg a dime 讨一角钱硬币
- beg a favour 恳求帮助
- beg a meal 讨一顿饭
- beg clothes 乞讨衣服
- beg forgiveness 恳求宽恕
- beg leave 请求准假
- beg mercy 恳求宽恕
- beg one's bread 乞食
- beg pardon 对不起,请再说一遍
- beg appealingly 令人心动地恳求
- beg earnestly 诚挚地请求
- beg humbly 低声下气地乞求
- beg importunately 急切地恳求
- beg impudently 厚颜无耻地乞求
- beg kindly 善意恳求
- beg piteously 可怜地乞讨
- beg politely 彬彬有礼地恳求
- beg professionally 以乞讨为生
- beg repeatedly 再三请求
- beg shamelessly 无耻地乞求
- beg solicitously 善意恳求
- beg urgently 急切地恳求
- beg off (使)获得赦免,(使)得到原谅,请假
- beg off for an hour 请一小时假
- beg off from doing sth 对不能做某事请求原谅
- beg off from taking part in a discussion 要求不参加讨论
- beg sb off 为某人说情,辞退某人
- beg for 乞讨,乞求,恳求
- beg for a living 靠乞讨维持生活
- beg for a peace 求和
- beg for alms 乞求施舍
- beg for food 请求施予食物
- beg for mercy 乞求宽恕
- beg for money 请求施予钱财
- beg for peace 乞求和平
- beg for quarter 请求饶命
- beg for shelter 请求避难
- beg for the moon 痴心妄想
- beg for water 讨水
- beg from 向(某人)乞求,乞讨
- beg from one's neighbours 向邻居乞讨
- beg from passers-by 向过路人乞讨
- beg of 请求,恳求
Father's ruin was approaching, that we should all soon beg our bread in the streets.出自： C. S. Lewis
I went to the house and begged a glass of milk and a slice of bread and butter.出自： S. Beckett
- beg后不可用于“beg+sb+sth”句型。表物宾语可用介词for引出; 表人宾语则可用介词of引出。
- beg和beg for意为“请求”时，比ask和ask for语气要重。用boon，favour，leave，pardon，forgiveness和permission等词和施舍物时，多与beg搭配；
- 可以存在She begged him to...，She begged of him to...或She begged that...等表达方式；
- beg (leave) to state，beg (leave) to acknowledge，beg (leave) to inform等词都是较为礼貌的用法，一般作为商业信函中的客套语，在普通信函中尽量少用；
I begged a favour of/from my friend.
- beg sth, beg for sth
- He begged (for) money.他讨钱。这两种结构含义上有些差别,不加介词表示一个完成的动作,加介词只表示有这种目的。另外, beg your pardon是不可加介词的。
- beg for, beg of
- beg for常接sth,表示“讨某物”; beg of接sb,表示“求某人”。
- beg from sb, beg of sb
- 这两个短语都表示“向…乞讨”,在表示“乞讨钱〔物〕”时可通用,只是from强调“出处”; of强调“所有”。例如:
- I would be ashamed to beg from my neigh- bours.
- I would be ashamed to beg of my neigh- bours.
- beg, entreat, implore
- 这三个词都含有“请求”的意思,并都含有浓厚的感情色彩。其区别在于:beg比较常用,但主要表示“恳求”“一再要求”, entreat含有企图说服对方或用热烈的请求软化反对意见的意思, implore表示非常迫切,焦急或苦痛的“要求”,常有“乞怜”的意味。例如:
- Again and again I have entreated Mrs. Prayor to say what she thinks of him, but she still evades returning a direct answer.我再三请求普瑞尔太太谈谈她对他的看法,但是她还是避开了正面回答我的问题。
- I implore you to go now.我恳请你现在就走。
- beg, ask, demand, order, request, require
- 1.从语气上看, beg最弱,有“恳求”的意味,如ask后仍达不到愿望,就要进一步beg了。例如：
- He begged me to excuse him.他乞求我原谅他。
- Visitors are requested not to touch the exhibits.请观众不要抚摸展品。
- The boy asked timidly if he might see the book.那男孩怯生生地问能否看一下这本书。
- He asked curtly for a cup of water.他粗声粗气地要一杯水喝。
- This plan requires secrecy.这计划要求保密。
- The guard demanded his business.警卫查问他来干什么。
- If you make any more noise,I shall order you out of the classroom.你如果再叫,我就命令你从教室里出去。
- 2.从目的上看,这组词都表示要求对方满足自己的某种愿望, ask希望对方能给予肯定的答复,而request则对能否得到肯定的答复把握不大。例如：
- The meeting will take place at 8 o'clock. Your presence is requested.会议将于8时召开,敬请光临。
- 3.从根据上说, demand一般指客观上必要,缺此不可,多来自权威方面。例如：
- The work demands care and patience.这工作需要细心和耐心。
- His health requires that he go to bed earlier.他的健康状况要求他早睡。
- 4.从感情色彩上看, beg含有浓厚的感情色彩,表示“一再要求”。例如：
- The boy begged his mother not to punish him.那孩子要求他妈妈不要惩罚他。
- The father demanded knowledge of what had occurred during his absence from home.父亲要求说明他不在家时究竟发生了什么事。
- This requires great attention in our work.这一点我们在工作中要特别注意。
- 5.从使用场合看, ask使用范围最广; order则多限于军队中或医生对病人。例如：
- The officer ordered that the men should fire the guns.长官命令士兵开火。
误 She came to beg a favour from me.
正 She came to beg a favour of me.
析 当beg的宾语是非物质的东西时,应该说beg sth of sb,表示“向某人恳求某事”, favour是非物质的东西,所以用of。对不起,我的意见恰好和你的相反。
误 I beg differing with you entirely.
正 I beg to differ with you entirely.
析 在需要搭用非谓语动词时, beg要搭用动词不定式(短语),不搭用动名词(短语)。
- ☆ 直接源自古法语的begard，意为乞丐。