- vt. 打击；压倒；使感动；淹没；打败
- vt. 覆盖,淹没 cover completely and usually suddenly
- vt. 打败,压倒 defeat or make powerless (usually a group of people) by much greater force of numbers
- vt. 使不知所措 make (sb) completely helpless, usually suddenly
overcome, as with emotions or perceptual stimuli
charge someone with too many tasks
cover completely or make imperceptible;
"I was drowned in work"
"The noise drowned out her speech"
overcome by superior force
- No difficulty can overwhelm us.
- If I cannot overwhelm with my quality, I will overwhelm with my quantity.
- Your kindness quite overwhelmed me.
- The village was overwhelmed when the floods came.
- Europe's golfers completely overwhelmed the Americans.
- A great wave overwhelmed the boat.
- Their mission was to seize the bridges and overwhelm the garrison.
- That accident overwhelmed his career.
- Invading armies overwhelmed the town.
- Sorrow overwhelmed the family.
- His kindness overwhelmed us.
- The enemy were overwhelmed by superior forces.
- He was overwhelmed by the death of his father.
- overwhelm by (v.+prep.)
以…压倒… defeat or make powerless by sth
overwhelm sb by sth
Don't just win the match; overwhelm your opponents by about 20 goals to nil.
- overwhelm with (v.+prep.)
由于…使某人对…不知所措 make sb completely helpless for sth
They were overwhelmed by an avalanche.出自：Climber
She was suddenly overwhelmed by an immense breaking sea.出自：Journal of Navigation
- overwhelm的基本意思是“覆盖”“淹没”“泛滥”,其主语常指水; 引申则可表示“压倒”“击败”,这时其主语常是人群。 overwhelm 还可表示某人“…之极”“非常激动”“使不知所措”。
- overcome 战胜
- crush 压碎
- overpower 压倒
- engulf 吞没
- surprise 惊奇
- devastate 毁坏
- flabbergast 使大吃一惊
- beat 打
- rout 彻底溃败
- astonish 使惊讶
- startle （使）吃惊
- overthrow 推翻
- defeat 挫败
- annihilate 消灭
- surmount 克服
- conquer 征服
- astound 使惊骇
- amaze 使吃惊
- vanquish 征服
- bewilder 使迷惑
- dumbfound 使 ... 惊呆
- deluge 大洪水
- overtake 赶上
- stun 使震惊
- oppress 使烦恼
- shower 淋浴
- swamp 沼泽
- upset 心烦的
- transport 运输
- sweep over 环视四周
- submerge 使浸没
- flood out 背井离乡
- overmaster 压倒
- whelm 用 ... 覆盖
- drown 淹死