- vt. & vi. 超过 come or catch up with
- vt. & vi. 突然来到 reach suddenly and unexpectedly
catch up with and possibly overtake;
"The Rolls Royce caught us near the exit ramp"
"The sports car passed all the trucks"
overcome, as with emotions or perceptual stimuli
- The car pulled out to overtake the lorry.
- I had to walk very fast to overtake you.
- It's dangerous to overtake on a bend.
- For no man knows what misfortunes may overtake you.
- He felt a wild jealousy overtake him.
- A mistake in staking can overtake you like an earthquake.
- It's dangerous to overtake at a corner.
- Never attempt to overtake on the crest of a hill.
- I was riding my bicycle along the road when a car overtook me.
- No one could overtake him.
- I had to walk very fast to overtake him.
- The police car overtook the lorry.
- Exports have already overtaken last year's figure.
- Some changes have overtaken our university recently.
- A storm overtook the little boat.
- She was overtaken by fear.
- We have been overtaken by events.
- The city was overtaken by storms for continuous days.
Meeting or overtaking other couples.出自： E. Bowen
He swung out sharply to overtake.出自： R. Hill
Old ladies on bicycles were prone to overtake me on hills.出自： J. Raban
Western Europe overtook North America as the world's largest car market.出自：Japan Times
- overtake的基本含义是“超过”,指原本处于落后的一方逐渐与领先者缩小距离并实现超越,最终领先; 也可指在没有准备的情况下某事突然发生,即“突然来到”。
- pass 通过
- overhaul 翻修
- reach 到达
- hit 打（击）
- engulf 吞没
- strike 罢工
- run by 时间逝去, 跑过...
- sweep over 环视四周
- go beyond 超过, 胜过
- leave behind 留下
- outdo 超过
- surpass 超越
- assail 使苦恼，纠缠...
- overwhelm 打击
- catch 赶上
- befall 发生
- outdistance 远远超过
- happen 发生
- chase 追捕
- catch up with 赶上
- upon 在 ... 上
- conquer 征服
- gain upon 逼近(超过
- run down 撞倒
- come upon 偶遇
- come 来
- with 用
- run 跑
- up 向上
- by 靠近
- down 向下
- gain 获得
- overpower 压倒
- whelm 用 ... 覆盖
- overcome 战胜