- vt. 打算,希望 wish for; have a desire for
- vt. & vi. 想,要,需要 require; be in need of; lack
- vt. 应该 ought
- [U] 缺乏,不足 lack or insufficiency of sth
- [C] 需要的东西,想往的东西 thing desired
a state of extreme poverty
the state of needing something that is absent or unavailable;
"there is a serious lack of insight into the problem"
"water is the critical deficiency in desert regions"
"for want of a nail the shoe was lost"
anything that is necessary but lacking;
"he had sufficient means to meet his simple needs"
"I tried to supply his wants"
a specific feeling of desire;
"he got his wish"
"he was above all wishing and desire"
feel or have a desire for; want strongly;
"I want to go home now"
"I want my own room"
have need of;
"This piano wants the attention of a competent tuner"
hunt or look for; want for a particular reason;
"Your former neighbor is wanted by the FBI"
"Uncle Sam wants you"
wish or demand the presence of;
"I want you here at noon!"
be without, lack; be deficient in;
"want the strength to go on living"
"flood victims wanting food and shelter"
- I want large ones, not small ones.
- He wants me to go with him.
- What they talked about is what we want to know.
- He is wanted by the police.
- The plants died from want of water.
- Their health had suffered from years of want.
- Thus a computer is soon viewed as a need rather than a want.
- You shall never want while I have any money left.
- A few pages of this book are wanting.
- The brackets want an extra screw.
- Children want plenty of sleep.
- We wanted money badly to buy the machines we needed.
- That sort of work wants a lot of patience.
- But the big monopoly capitalists do not want peace.
- What style do you want? —The usual uniform style.
- She wants a holiday.
- He said he wanted a few words with me.
- That sort of thing wants some doing.
- The picture wants something of perfection.
- He is wanted by the police.
- I've long wanted to come to your country.
- I have accepted this, not wanting to disappoint them.
- You can study any subject you want to.
- You're the very person I've been wanting to meet.
- The children are always wanting to see you.
- They may be wanting to know when you leave for home.
- He wanted to have an operation.
- You want to be careful while doing the experiment.
- They had wanted to help you,but couldn't get here in time.
- It wants to be done with great care.
- The boxes want to be numbered.
- I want to〔should〕 speak to you so badly all these days.
- Were you wanting to see me?
- Your hair wants cutting.
- This curtain wants washing.
- Your coat wants brushing.
- His pipe wants cleaning.
- The sheets for your bed will want airing,I suppose.
- Our house wants doing up.
- I want that people should appreciate what I say.
- He wanted that I should pay him next Monday.
- I want the letter ready by tomorrow.
- I want it back right now.
- Are you sure you want me back?
- Don't forget,I want my ladder back the moment you have finished with it!
- That child wants a nurse to look after him.
- The manager wants you to think it over.
- She wants Mary to go with her.
- My classmates want me to work for the wall newspaper.
- He wants you to see him in his office tomorrow.
- Don't you want someone to go along with you?
- I don't want that sort of thing to keep happening.
- I do not want you answering the question.
- Of course he wouldn't want others interfering in his affairs.
- I wanted it answered how the picture was drawn.
- I don't want the child left alone.
- He wants his sprained ankle carefully treated.
- We don't want anything said about this.
- He did not want anything crossed out.
- I want these shoes resoled.
- China wanted the boundary properly negotiated.
- This child wants you out of the room.
- The teacher wants you in the classroom.
- You're wanted on the phone.
- You're wanted at the director's office.
- She is a wanted woman.
- That man is a little wanting.
- Your work shows great want of judgement.
- Your work shows want of care.
- For want of a nail the wheel came off.
- For want of anything better to do, he continued to read.
- He failed for want of help.
- I fell sick for want of exercise.
- The houses were falling to pieces for want of care and a little paint.
- The boys were suffering from want of food.
- She felt ill from want of air, so I opened the window.
- The children are unhappy from want of love.
- He's always in want of money.
- I'm in want of a good dictionary.
- The house is in want of repair.
- You should try to reduce your wants.
- That supplies a want that has been felt for a long time.
- Families were suffering from want.
- At that time, the labouring people were always reduced to want.
- What a terrible thing it must be to live in want!
- want for (v.+prep.)
通缉wish to seize sb to punish him for (a crime)
want for sth
Her little girl never wants for anything; she has everything she could possibly need.
What do you want for more money for?You're earning good pay as it is!
你为何还要更多的钱?你现在的工资就不少了!want sb/sth for sb/sth
I want you for my wife, will you marry me?
What do you want more money for?
Two men are wanted for special duties.
需要两人去执行特殊的任务。want sb for sth
Doesn't he look like that man who's wanted for the jewel robbery?
It's better to be wanted for murder than not to be wanted at all.
- want in1 (v.+adv.)
〈俚〉希望被接受desire to be accepted
The visitor wants in.
Open the door, will you?The cat wants in.
把门打开好吗?猫要进来。want sb ⇔ in
Mother wants the doctor in, but I don't think it's as serious as that.
I talked with him about our plan, and he wanted in.
- want in2 (v.+prep.)
缺少lack sth necessary such as a quality
want in sth
His book, while truthful, is wanting in excitement.
- want off (v.+adv.)
想要下车wish to leave a vehicle
I must ring the bell; I want off at the next stop.
- want out (v.+adv.)
〈非正〉希望解脱出来wish to be freed from sth unpleasantI thought you were happy, it was such a shock when you said you wanted out.我还以为你很幸福,你说要摆脱婚姻的羁绊这使我大为震惊。
- want up (v.+adv.)
想要起床wish to get out of bed
The boy must be feeling better, he's been wanting up all day.
- want a holiday 希望休假
- want a lot of patience 需要很大的耐心
- want mending 需要补一补
- want nourishment 需要营养
- want some doing 花些工夫
- want water 需要水
- want absolutely 绝对想要
- want ardently 热烈地希望
- want badly 严重缺乏
- want casually 偶尔打算
- want considerably 相当需要
- want consistently 一致希望
- want conspicuously 明显地需要
- want deeply 深深地需要
- want eagerly 急切希望
- want earnestly 殷切希望
- want eminently 高度希望
- want entirely 完全想要
- want excessively 过多需要
- want exclusively 完全想要
- want extremely 非常想要
- want fairly 相当需要
- want fully 充分需要
- want genuinely 真正地需要
- want heartily 衷心地希望
- want honestly 诚恳地希望
- want inevitably 不可避免地需要
- want insistently 引人注意地希望
- want intensely 热情地希望
- want logically 情理之中地需要
- want ludicrously 荒唐可笑地需要
- want luxuriously 奢侈地需要
- want materially 物质上需要
- want momentarily 顷刻之间想要
- want noiselessly 悄悄地想要
- want nominally 名义上想要
- want particularly 特别地打算
- want passionately 强烈地希望
- want prematurely 过早地需要
- want probably 可能需要
- want quaintly 离奇地打算
- want righteously 理所当然地想要
- want sadly 严重地需要
- want satirically 讽刺性地需要
- want severely 严重需要
- want sincerely 诚恳地希望
- want solely 唯一想要
- want spontaneously 自发的需要
- want steadily 稳定的需要
- want strongly 强烈地希望
- want substantially 实实在在地需要
- want superficially 表面上想要
- want tentatively 暂时性地想要
- want thoroughly 彻底需要
- want unaccountably 莫名其妙地想要
- want universally 普遍想要
- want unquestionably 毫无疑问地希望
- want urgently 急切需要
- want back 期望回来
- want in 想要进入
- want off 想要下车
- want out 想要出去
- want up 想要起床
- emergency want 紧急需求
The Highlands..are still more impracticable, from the want of road and bridges.出自：Country Walking
He..does not want resolution, but it is mixed with too much obstinacy.出自： L. Namier
- want可用一般时表示将来,一般不与be going to连用。
- 在口语中,可用want to代替should。
- for want of和from (the) want of在句中均可用作原因状语,但前者多用于主语指人的句子,说明理由; 而后者多用于主语指事物的句子,说明原因。
- want, desire, hope, wish
- 1.desire和hope多指可以达到的事; wish通常用于难以实现或达到的事, wish也可表示祈愿。
- 2.desire, wish和hope后均可接从句或不定式作宾语; wish和desire后接that从句一般用虚拟语气; desire和wish后可接复合宾语; hope用作不及物动词时常接of, for引起的短语。
- want, lack, be deficient in
- 1.lack指完全没有或有而不足,所缺之物可好可坏,在用法上, lack 后面不能接动名词。
- She is wanting in common sense.她缺乏常识。
- You shall never want while I have any money left.只要我有余钱,就不会叫你缺少什么。
- 3.be deficient in则是具体或明确地指出、说明在某方面缺少或不足。例如:
- This food is deficient in iron.这种食物缺乏铁。
- Nothing was deficient in this project.这项工程什么都不缺。
- want, need
- need表示因缺少而需要某物或需要做某事,尤其强调这种需要的迫切性; want表示从一般需要的意向到强烈、迫切的要求以及各种程度不同的愿望。
- want for, lack for
- 这两个短语都可表示“缺乏必要的或想要的东西”,意义相近,常可互换,只是前者表示“客观缺乏什么”,而后者则进一步表明“主观上想要”,且lack for的意味比want for的意味弱。例如:
- As he is very rich he lacks for nothing.他很富有,什么也不缺。
- We should not want for food.我们不会缺少食物。
- want, absence, lack, shortage
- 1.从内容上说:absence指在某一特定的场合应具备或想要的某一事物或事实; lack指应具备或需要的东西; shortage指按规定应具备或需要的数量; want则指缺少必不可少的东西,尤指为一整体的完美所必须具备的东西。
- 2.从程度上说:absence指根本就不存在; lack指完全没有或不够充足; shortage指部分短缺或开始减少; want则指缺少。
- 3.从用法上说:absence, lack和want都是不可数名词,间或可加不定冠词; 而shortage可用作不可数名词,也可用作可数名词。
误 He offered me some cakes, saying,“Do you want?They're hot from the oven.”
正 He offered me some cakes, saying,“Do you want any?They're hot from the oven.”
析 表示“某人想要某物”时, want为及物动词,其后须接宾语。这件衣服需要清洗。
误 This coat wants to wash.
正 This coat wants washing.
正 This coat wants to be washed.
析 表示“某物需要处理”时,可用主动形式的动名词(want+ v -ing)形式,在意义上也可用被动形式的动词不定式(want+to- v )。我想听听你的意见。
误 I was wanting your opinion.
正 I want your opinion.
误 She has never wanted of money.
正 She has never wanted for money.
析 表示“(不)缺乏什么东西”,一般可说(not) want for sth,介词用for,不用of。她想嫁给一个富商。
误 She wanted marrying a rich merchant.
正 She wanted to marry a rich merchant.
析 表示“某人想做某事”时, want是及物动词,接动词不定式短语作宾语,而不能用动名词作want的宾语。
误 The child has a long list of want.
正 The child has a long list of wants.
误 To visit your country is my long-felt wants.
正 To visit your country is my long-felt want.
误 Many people live for want.
正 Many people live in want.
析 表示“生活困难”“穷困”可以说in want,其中介词in不可改为for。由于缺少汽油,我们的车一点用处也没有。
误 Our car was useless in want of petrol.
正 Our car was useless for want of petrol.
析 表示“由于缺乏”“因为缺乏”可以用for want of〔through want of,from want of〕,而in want of是“需要”的意思。
- ☆ 1200年左右进入英语，直接源自古北欧语的vanta，意为缺乏，想要；最初源自原始日耳曼语的wanen。