- [U][C]缺席; 不在 the fact of sb being away from a place where they are usually expected to be; the occasion or period of time when sb is away
- [C]不存在; 缺乏 the fact of sb/sth not existing or not being available; non-existence; lack
- the state of being absent;
"he was surprised by the absence of any explanation"
- failure to be present
- the time interval during which something or somebody is away;
"he visited during my absence"
- the occurrence of an abrupt, transient loss or impairment of consciousness (which is not subsequently remembered), sometimes with light twitching, fluttering eyelids, etc.; common in petit mal epilepsy
- His long absence raised fears about his safety.
- We are in the absence of experience.
- The absence of color in that drawing make it dull.
Absence increased as a result of the spread of the disease.
Absence diminished as the new regulations are enforced.
Absence and distance make the overseas Chinese heart increasingly fond of their homeland.
His frequent and prolonged absences were making his wife suspicious.
Her husband's absence increased the weight on her shoulders.
He didn't notice your absence.
He made up a story to explain his absence.
Nobody could explain his absence.
I was much disappointed at his absence.
His illness accounts for his absence.
He went to the dean to ask for a two-day leave of absence.
He has got leave of absence for a week.
It is not John's intention to take advantage of her absence.
We are concerned about your child's frequent absences.
After a long absence, he has returned to doing TV work.
You were conspicuous by your absence yesterday.
Behave yourself during my absence.
Please act for me during my absence.
They remained in their seats during my absence.
Please look after my office during my absence at home.
Caroline will be in charge of the office during my absence.
A new manager was appointed during your absence.
A stranger brought you this letter during your absence.
We did not receive any news during his long absence.
She returned from a day's absence.
A good many of the degrees were conferred in absence.
I am on leave of absence.
Many families today were conscious of absences.
The apparent cause of his absence was a bad cold.
He explained his silence by his absence at the battlefront.
It happened during his absence for business in London.
Ade's constant absences from work made his boss very angry.
His long illness and consequent absence from school delayed his progress of study.
His absences from work caused trouble.
His several absences from class worried his teacher.
They discovered that absence from each other left a painful void.
There were 140 absences from school today.
Only then had I found his absence from London.
He's noted for his frequent absences from work.
Absence of mind may have bad results.
Absence of sunlight caused the plants to die.
The absence of sunlight made it difficult to take good pictures.
The absence of electricity made matters worse.
The teacher marked the absence of the students.
He noticed the absence of illustrations in that dictionary.
He shows an absence of initiative.
She took a year's leave of absence from her job.
He returns to the England team after a long absence from international football.
He was desperately eager to be back after more than a week's absence from school.
You have a lame excuse for your absence from classes yesterday.
He could not account for his absence from classes.
She has had repeated absences from work this year.
We noticed his frequent absence from the job.
Owing to his absences from work, they will deduct his bonus from his pay.
He returned home after an absence of two years.
She seemed pale from the absence of all cosmetics.
She told the story with a complete absence of any humor.
The police are worried about the absence of proof in case of any other explanation.
Absolute liberty is absence of restraint.
A major problem is the absence of water.
Darkness is the absence of light.
- in sb's absence
当某人不在时while sb is not there
They made the decision in my absence. 我不在的时候,他们做了决定。
He acted as Chairman in my absence. 在我离开期间,他代行主席职务。
Has your business been attended to by her in your absence? 你不在的时候,事务一直由她处理吗?
Don't speak ill of a person in his absence. 不要在背后说人坏话。
Speak no ill of him in his absence. 不要背地里讲他的坏话。
Mark will be in charge in Steve's absence. 史蒂夫不在期间将由马克负责。
A gentleman called in your absence, sir. 先生,你不在时,有位男士来访。
In your parents' absence I am responsible for your welfare. 你父母不在的时候,由我照顾你。
- 当某人不在时while sb is not there
- in the absence of
缺乏,不存在 the fact of sb/sth not existing or not being available; a lack of sth
In the absence of definite evidence the prisoner was set free. 因缺乏确凿证据,囚犯被释放了。
In the absence of exact data, these discussions are bootless. 由于缺乏确切的资料,这些讨论是徒劳的。
In the absence of any further evidence the police were unable to solve the murder. 由于缺乏进一步的证据,警方无法侦破那起谋杀案。
The case was dismissed in the absence of any definite proof. 此案因缺乏确凿证据而不予受理。
In the absence of any other explanation, we decided the wind had blown the door open. 因为没有别的解释,所以我们断定门是被风吹开的。
In the absence of any contrary agreement, the firm accepts full liability. 因为不存在任何相反的协议,该公司承担全部责任。
The owner refused to accept his money in the absence of identification. 由于不能作出鉴定,物主拒绝领取款项。
In the absence of anybody more experienced,I took command. 由于找不到其他更有经验的人,只好由我来指挥。
In the absence of the manager,Mr. Green is in charge. 经理不在时,一切由格林先生负责。
In the absence of any more suitable candidates, we decided to offer the job to Mr. Conway. 由于缺乏更适合的人选,我们决定让康韦先生来做这项工作。
- 缺乏,不存在 the fact of sb/sth not existing or not being available; a lack of sth
- absence of mind心不在焉
- absence without leave旷职(无故缺席)...
- absence of nose鼻缺失
- absence of uterus子宫缺失
- absence test[计] 缺席测试, ...
- absence debtor失踪债务人
- Congenital absence先天性缺失
- code absence缺码, 无码
- absence rate缺勤率
- absence of uvula悬雍垂缺失
- absence of penis阴茎缺失
- absence of restrictions无约束
- absence of urethra尿道缺失
- deadlock absence死锁消除
- leave of absence休假
- in the absence of在 ... 不在场的...
- conspicuous by one's absence因缺席而引人注目...
- in sb's absence在某人不在时, 在某...
I was..sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence.出自：B. Behan
Her absences..were spent in mysterious ploys of her own.出自：B. Pym
- absence from意为“不在……地方”，而absence in 则意为“在……地方”，如absence from Shanghai意为“不在上海”，absence in Shanghai则意为“在上海”，同时还有“不在它处而在上海”之意；
- 涉及不会动的的东西时，absence in ...意为“不在……里”或“在……里没有”，如the absence of this word in that dictionary 意为“这词不在那字典里”，惯用in而不是from。
- absence的基本意思是某人“缺席; 离开; 不在场”,通常指该在而“不在”。指“不在”或“缺席”这一事实时是不可数名词; 指“不在场的次数或时间”时是可数名词,有复数形式。引申可表示某人、某物或某事“缺乏”或者“不存在”,即不具有应具备或想要的东西。
- absence 接介词 from表示“离开某地,不在某地”; 接介词 at 或 in表示“不在某地而在他处”; 接介词of表示某人、某物或者某事物“缺乏”或者“不存在”。而in absence意为“在缺乏或不存在的情况下”; in sb's absence意为“当某人不在时,在某人离开时”; in the absence of则意为“在缺少…时”。
- absence, lack, shortage, want
这组词都有“缺乏”的意思。其区别是：1.从内容上说:absence指在某一特定的场合应具备或想要的某一事物或事实; lack指应具备或需要的东西; shortage指按规定应具备或需要的数量; want则指缺少必不可少的东西,尤指为一整体的完美所必须具备的东西。2.从程度上说:absence指根本就不存在; lack指完全没有或不够充足; shortage指部分短缺或开始减少; want则指缺少。3.从用法上说:absence, lack和want都是不可数名词,间或可加不定冠词; 而shortage可用作不可数名词,也可用作可数名词。
- in sb's absence
- during sb's absence
- in the absence of a chairman
- in the absence of the chairman
- ☆ 14世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的absecne，意为离开；最初源自拉丁语的absens，意为不在场，离开。
- nonappearance not being present defect deficiency lack nonexistence privation scarcity shortage unavailability want
- absence:absence n. 不在, 缺席, 缺乏, 没有习惯用语A-makes the heart fonder. [谚]眼不见, 心更念; 别久情深。conspicuous by one's absenc…