- 小的,少的 not large in size, degree, number, value, etc.
- [A] 年幼的,幼小的 young
- [A] 小规模的,小范围的 not doing things on a large scale
- 不重要的,微不足道的,微小的 unimportant; trivial; slight
- [A] 小气的,心胸狭窄的 having a mean and petty attitude
- the slender part of the back
- a garment size for a small person
- limited or below average in number or quantity or magnitude or extent;
"a little dining room"
"a little house"
"a small car"
"a little (or small) group"
- limited in size or scope;
"a small business"
"a newspaper with a modest circulation"
"a pocket-size country"
- (of children and animals) young, immature;
"what a big little boy you are"
- slight or limited; especially in degree or intensity or scope;
"a series of death struggles with small time in between"
- low or inferior in station or quality;
"a humble cottage"
"a lowly parish priest"
"a modest man of the people"
"e.e.cummings's poetry is written all in minuscule letters"
- (of a voice) faint;
"a little voice"
"a still small voice"
- have fine or very small constituent particles;
"a small misty rain"
- not large but sufficient in size or amount;
"a modest salary"
"helped in my own small way"
- made to seem smaller or less (especially in worth);
"her comments made me feel small"
- on a small scale;
- This coat is too small for me.
- I need to buy a small transistor radio.
- The penalty clause was hidden in the small print.
- She was born in Dominica in the Caribbean and came to Britain as a small child.
- I can't get by on such a small salary.
- His words had a small part in her decision making.
- He played a small part in the play.
- It's such a small point that it's hardly worth talking about.
- Many black slaves were flogged to death for quite a small fault.
- He writes so small I can't read it.
- He came in，and spoke small to his hatchet men.
- He felt a sharp pain in the small of his back.
The small room is thick with audience.
People in far northern countries sometimes form small houses out of bricks of ice.
The story took place in a faraway small village.
The pupils were formed into four small groups.
The sturdy footbridge would easily support the weight of a small truck.
The small pocket dictionary was expanded into a full-sized one.
In sampling, we choose a small number of items which we think are typical of the whole and examine the sample.
The bad weather is responsible for the small attendance.
There was only a small number of people there.
A ragged shout went up from the small crowd.
Would a small child know about it?
I lived in the countryside when I was small.
A mouse is a small animal.
You should not be so fearful of those small flying insects. They are not harmful.
My father was a small shopkeeper.
He is a small businessman.
Only a small man would behave so badly.
He is a man of no small curiosity.
Don't bother him with that small matter.
There are times when even the smallest mistake will make him lose his rag.
There are only small differences between the two translations.
They took their seats at the small round table.
His father is a weak small spare old man.
He runs a small retail shop.
A snail is a small plant-eating creature with a soft body.
My influence over her is small, so she won't do as I say.
Our income has got smaller, so we must be realistic and give up our car.
He is small but sturdy.
Her features are small and regular.
This hat is too small for me.
The boy is small for his age.
The pitch is too small to play football on.
The hat is too small to serve.
It is small of her to wish for payment.
He criticized her in front of her colleagues and made her face very small.
- a small fortune
许多钱 a lot of money
The car cost me a small fortune. 这辆车花了我很多钱。
He has spent a small fortune on improving his property. 他花了一大笔钱来改善他的房产。
- 许多钱 a lot of money
- (be) grateful〔thankful〕 for small mercies
庆幸已很糟糕的情况并未更糟 relieved that a bad situation is not worse
It may be cold but it's not raining—let's be thankful for small mercies. 尽管天气很冷,但没有下雨——该知足了。
I suppose we ought to be thankful for small mercies.A 2％ increase in the money we receive may be less than the rate of inflation, but it's better than having our grant cut altogether. 我们庆幸自己还有小小的好处。我们得到的钱增加了2％,也许这少于通货膨胀率,但那比补助金全部削减要好多了。
- 庆幸已很糟糕的情况并未更糟 relieved that a bad situation is not worse
- great and small
贫富强弱,贵贱高低等 rich and poor, powerful and weak, etc.
Everyone, great and small, is affected by these changes. 所有的人,无论高低贵贱都受这些变革的影响。
- 贫富强弱,贵贱高低等 rich and poor, powerful and weak, etc.
- in a small way
小规模 on a small scale
He's in business in a small way. 他做的是小本生意。
She collects antiques in a small way. 她收集了少许古玩。
He's got himself into trouble in a small way. 他惹了点小麻烦。
She is a picture-framer in a small way. 她小规模地制作画框。
- 小规模 on a small scale
- it's a small world
世界可真小 one is likely to meet, or hear about, one knows however distantly wherever one goes
We went to Scotland for the weekend and found that our former neighbours were staying in the same hotel—it's a small world! 我们去苏格兰度周末,发现我们以前的邻居也住在我们住的那家旅馆——真是太巧了。
- 世界可真小 one is likely to meet, or hear about, one knows however distantly wherever one goes
- look〔feel〕 small
感到羞愧 be humiliated
You made me look so small, correcting me in front of everybody. 你当众纠正我的错误,使得我很难为情。
He criticized her in front of her colleagues and made her feel very small. 他当着她同事的面批评了她,使她感到非常丢脸。
- 感到羞愧 be humiliated
- small beer
重要性或价值不大的人或事物 person or thing of no great importance or value
He thinks he's wonderful, but he's really rather small beer. 他自命不凡认为他是个令人惊奇人物,实际上是个平庸之辈。
That grant was pretty small beer, we shall need a lot more money. 这点补助金是杯水车薪,我们需要的钱远比这些多。
I've got 60 shares in the company, but that's small beer compared with my father's thousands. 我在该公司有60股,但与我父亲的数千股相比就微不足道了。
- 重要性或价值不大的人或事物 person or thing of no great importance or value
- small fry〔potatoes〕
(被认为)不重要的人或事物 people or thing thought to be unimportant
I'm just a small fry in this company. 我只是这家公司的一个小人物。
The boss always sees important visitors immediately, but small fry are often kept waiting. 老板总是即时会见重要人物,常常让小人物等候着。
These little local firms are mere small fry compared with huge international companies. 跟庞大的跨国公司相比,这些当地的小公司都不过是些小店铺而已。
I can do nothing,I'm small potatoes here. 我没办法,在这儿我只是个小卒子。
Against these increases, the cuts in the spending looked like very small potatoes. 跟这些增长相比,支出的削减似乎微不足道。
- (被认为)不重要的人或事物 people or thing thought to be unimportant
- small talk
闲谈,聊天 light conversation on unimportant or non-serious subjects
He mingled freely with other delegates, trying to make small talk and little jokes. 他无拘无束地和其他代表混在一起,试图跟他们随便聊聊,开开玩笑。
- 闲谈,聊天 light conversation on unimportant or non-serious subjects
- small wonder
不太出奇 it is hardly surprising
Small wonder that he was tired! 难怪他这么累!
You've been eating far too much—small wonder you're getting fat! 你一直吃得太多了,难怪你越来越胖!
It's small wonder you got tanned, staying out in the sun all that time. 你老是暴露在太阳底下,难怪晒得那么黑。
- 不太出奇 it is hardly surprising
- the small hours
午夜刚过的一段时间 period of time soon after midnight
He came rolling home from the party in the small hours. 他参加了宴会后到凌晨时分才摇摇晃晃到家。
I lay awake through the wee small hours, waiting for the signal. 我躺到后半夜没睡,等候信号。
You shouldn't keep your friends up talking till the small hours. 你不该使你的朋友不睡觉一直谈到凌晨。
- 午夜刚过的一段时间 period of time soon after midnight
- the small print
法律文件、契约等中常用小号字体印刷的部分 the parts of a legal document, contract, etc. which are often printed in a small type and contain important details that are easy to overlook
The penalty clause was hidden in the small print. 惩罚条款印在不起眼的小号字体部分。
Make sure you read all the small print before signing. 一定要先看清小号字体印刷部分再签字。
It says in the small print that we're responsible for all repairs. 合约中的附属细则规定一切修理工作须由我们负责。
- 法律文件、契约等中常用小号字体印刷的部分 the parts of a legal document, contract, etc. which are often printed in a small type and contain important details that are easy to overlook
- the still small voice
良心的呼唤,是非感 a person's sense of right and wrong
A still small voice inside me told me that what I was planning to do was wrong. 良心告诉我,我打算做的事是不对的。
Towards the end of the meeting people became very angry, and the still small voice of reason was completely lost in the general excitement. 会议临近结束时,人们极度愤怒,在群情激奋的情况下,完全丧失了冷静和理智。
- 良心的呼唤,是非感 a person's sense of right and wrong
- small animal 小动物
- small arms 轻武器
- small audience 少数听众
- small beer 微不足道的人〔东西〕
- small businesses 小公司
- small change 零钱,小额硬币
- small children 幼儿
- small company 小公司
- small enterprise 小企业
- small farmer 小农场主
- small fault 小错
- small fortune 一大笔钱
- small hours 凌晨时分
- small house 小房子
- small inconvenience 没造成什么不便
- small intestine 小肠
- small job 低微的工作
- small man 矮人
- small matter 小事
- small mistake 小小的错误
- small number 数量小
- small part 一个小角色
- small room 一间小屋
- small screen 小银幕
- small shopkeeper 小店主
- small smile 微笑
- small talk 闲聊
- small town 小镇
- small trader 小商人
Like an hour-glass, exceedingly small in the waist.出自：T. Moore
- small可指体积、程度、数量、价值、力量、重要性等的“小的,少的”; 也可指“幼小的,年幼的”,在句中用作定语。
- small表示“小规模的,小范围的”“小气的,心胸狭窄的”,通常用作定语; 表示“些微的,几乎没有的”,与不可数名词连用,通常用作定语。
- 当small作为特征形容词和表示形状、年龄、新旧等其他特征形容词一起修饰名词时, small应位于表示“新旧”的形容词之后,而位于表示“形状”“年龄”的形容词之前。当small和描绘性形容词、表示颜色的形容词、表类属的形容词,名词或动名词性形容词一起修饰名词时,特征形容词一般位于描绘形容词后,其他形容词之前。
- small有时还可用作副词,表示“成为小块”“很小”。例如:He writes so small that I can't read it.他写的字太小,我无法看清。Don't draw the picture too small.别把图画得太小。
- small还可用作名词,表示“物体较小的部分”,常用作单数形式; 用作复数时,表示“小件衣物(尤指内衣裤)”。例如:the small of the back背部最窄处
- small, little, tiny
这组词的共同意思是“小”。其区别是：little和small在修饰物时,前者着重数量不多、少; 后者侧重于程度和尺寸的大小。little和small用来修饰人时,前者侧重于因年龄小而使身形娇小,后者则侧重于指比一般人身材矮小,含有比较的意味。另外, little还含有一种small所没有的感情色彩,往往含有“小得可爱”“小得可怜”等意思。tiny比little和small更强调小,含有“微不足道”的意思。例如:There is little gasoline left in the tank.油箱里没有多少汽油了。The boy is small for his age.这男孩身材小得同年龄不相称。He lived in a tiny cottage all by himself.他一人住在一间很小的茅屋里。