- vt. 送,寄; 派遣 cause sb/sth to go or be taken without going oneself
- vt. 用无线电波发送 transmit (a signal, etc.) by radio waves
- vt. 使…猛然或迅速移动 cause (sth) to move sharply or quickly, often by force
- vt. 使…变得 cause (sb) become or enter a specified state
- vi. 发出信息 send a message
- vt. 〈书〉使…兴奋,使激动 excite sb; thrill
- vt. 施与,赐给 give or provide
cause to go somewhere;
"The explosion sent the car flying in the air"
"She sent her children to camp"
"He directed all his energies into his dissertation"
to cause or order to be taken, directed, or transmitted to another place;
"He had sent the dispatches downtown to the proper people and had slept"
cause to be directed or transmitted to another place;
"send me your latest results"
"I'll mail you the paper when it's written"
assign to a station
"The spy sent the classified information off to Russia"
cause to be admitted; of persons to an institution;
"After the second episode, she had to be committed"
"he was committed to prison"
broadcast over the airwaves, as in radio or television;
"We cannot air this X-rated song"
- You are now ready to send messages.
- Radio Beijing sends the news all over the world.
- I'll send someone to show you around.
- The music of this song sent her carefree and joyous.
- The flowers send forth special fragrance.
- We will send the goods by railroad.
- I think we need to send out for the missing lamb.
- I want to send away for some books I need.
- The radio operator was still sending when the ship went down.
- He sent to warn me.
- She sent to inquire after you.
- She sent to say that she was safe and well.
- I couldn't come myself, so I sent my friend.
- The allies agreed to send reinforcements.
- I sent a letter of apology.
- He sent word that he wouldn't be coming.
- He sent word that he would come to see me.
- That gorgeous girl sent him.
- Ah, his playing really sends me!
- Somebody ought to be sent at once.
- Heaven send that we'll arrive safely!
- God send that it may not be so!
- My sister sent me a parcel.
- Mother sent her a big parcel of clothes and food.
- Send me a note whenever you want me.
- I sent the teacher a letter.
- He'll send home fifteen dollars next week.
- Just before I left Beijing,I sent them a telegram.
- Did they send me any message by you?
- He'll send us word if he needs help.
- Please send me word as soon as possible.
- Send them my best wishes when you see them.
- God send us peace!
- He sent books to me from Beijing.
- He sent a letter to John.
- They have sent some pictures to me.
- We have sent a telegram to him.
- I sent word to Inbry to go and look after you.
- I'd like you to cast your eyes over this letter before I send it to the school to see if it's satisfactory.
- The pain sent the dog mad.
- This noise is sending me crazy.
- The music seems to send them crazy.
- Whenever he moved, the wound sent pains along his arm.
- The news of his mother's death sent him almost out of his mind.
- The teacher sent the unruly pupils out of the room.
- The child was tired, so I sent him to bed.
- We decided to send a veteran surgeon to help them.
- She sent her daughter to buy some milk.
- Would you like us to send a car to pick you up?
- I'll have to send my passport to be renewed.
- He had sent his shoes there to be mended.
- The boy was sent to buy the milk.
- The rain sent everyone scurrying for shelter.
- The fire sent everyone running out of the building.
- They killed 45 puppet troops and sent the rest fleeing panic-stricken.
- The heavy blow sent the enemy spinning to the ground.
- She bumped against the table and sent the crockery crashing to the ground.
- The explosion sent glass flying everywhere.
- The report of the rifles sent the birds flying round the place.
- The blow sent him sprawling in the mud.
- The victory sent our spirits rising.
- She tried to interfere, but I sent her packing!
- We were fed up with his nonsense and sent him packing.
- If anyone comes begging at my door. I soon send him packing.
- When I found he was trying to make a fool of me,I sent him packing.
- send across( v.+prep. )
(使某人、物)横过,横穿 (cause sb/sth to) pass or move across sth
send sb/sth across sth
I wish you hadn't sent Bill across the Post Office on his own; that road is dangerous for a small child.
During the war, our relatives in America sent food parcels across the ocean, for which we were most grateful.
- send after( v.+prep. )
派人寻找 send sb to search for
send after sb
Have you sent after him?
Nobody told him to leave. Send after him and bring him back.
I've sent after him and hope he'll get the message.
我已派人去找他,希望他会得到这个信。send sb/sth after sb
He had left without his umbrella, so I sent one of the boys after him.
The doctor went in such haste that he forgot his clinical thermometer and we had to send it after him.
- send ahead( v.+adv. )
预先送出; 事先捎信 send (sb/sth) in advance; send a message in advance of one
Don't worry about a bed for tonight; I've sent ahead to the hotel to ask them to keep a room for us.
不要担心今晚的住宿问题,我已事先与旅馆联系,请他们给我们留个房间。send sth ⇔ ahead
It's best to send the heavy cases ahead so that they'll already be there when we arrive.
- send along (v.+prep.)
派遣,发送 cause sb/sth to move a place or towards one
send sb/sth ⇔ along
We'll send John along to collect the fees.
I'll send the book along to you in a few days.
- send away( v.+adv. )
遣走,解雇 discharge or fire
send sb ⇔ away
I have sent him away to that village.
She sent her son away for the summer vacation in the countryside.
I soon sent the salesman away, as I wasn't interested in what he was selling.
I think it's best to send the boy away to school, he's getting no proper education here.
The boss sent little Tom away.
We had to send the girl away for stealing the silver.
Edison's teacher thought that he wasn't clever, so he sent him away from school.
News spread round the school that the teacher had been sent away on account of bad behaviour.
- send away for( v.+adv.+prep. )
函索,函购,订购 request sth or order (goods) to be sent by post
send away for sth
He wants to send away for some books.
We had to send away to the factory for spare parts.
Do you remember where to send away for the replacements?
We sent away for some sample bottles of a new brand of beer a few days ago, but they haven't arrived yet.
She sent away for a set of bed linen she saw advertised in a magazine.
When we lived in the country, we had to send away for many things we needed.
- send back( v.+adv. )
send sb/sth ⇔ back (to sb/sth)
They sent the manuscript back without comment.
Send him back to his father; he is too young to be a sailor.
We'll send them back to you tomorrow.
Will you send the book back to me when you've finished reading it?
This coat is too short in one sleeve. Send it back to the shop.
The satellite sent back signals as well as pictures to the earth.
His letter was sent back.
- send down( v.+adv. )
把…开除出学校; 勒令…停学 expel or suspend from a university
send sth ⇔ down
Perhaps that will send her temperature down.
The rain last night has sent the temperature down three degrees.
The increase in supply has sent the price of coffee down.
This good crop should send the price of apples down.
The special machine is for sending the dirty plates down to the kitchen.
这种专门的机器用来把脏盘子送到下面的厨房去。send sb down
The university authorities sent the student down for the rest of the term.
He has been sent down for riotous behaviour.
He was sent down for ten years for armed robbery.
- send down for( v.+adv.+prep. )
从上向下地要求 request, as from above to below
send down for sth
She sent down for more glue.
He sent down for more paint.
The head office has sent down for stationery.
Please send down for my shoes from the bedroom.
I'll send down to the kitchen for some more coffee.
- send for( v.+prep. )
申请; 订购 send a request or order for sth
send for sb/sth
They sent for the doctor.
One of our water pipes has burst. We must send for the plumber.
I was sent for and I went to the headmaster's room.
The police were sent for immediately the disturbance began.
She was very ill, and her son was sent for.
她病得很厉害,就把她儿子叫过来了。send sb for sth
Mother sent my brother for the luggage.
Have you sent anyone for new books?
你派人去拿新书了吗?send for sth
You can send for these seeds at a very cheap price.
We haven't any more of this in stock, but we'll send for one with pleasure.
A dozen were sent for, but only ten were received.
- send forth( v.+adv. )
发出,放出; 长出 produce
send forth sth
The flower sends forth fragrance.
The sun sends forth light and heat.
The trees send forth many new leaves.
As spring approaches, the trees begin to send forth tender buds.
The parcel must be sent forth at once.
- send in( v.+adv. )
提交或发送 submit or dispatch
send sb/sth ⇔ in
He sent in his resignation.
Have they sent in the accounts?
He sent in his card and was admitted.
Have you sent your article in to the magazine yet?
The correspondent sent in his messages regularly.
Have you sent in your application?
He sent in his application immediately.
I shan't bother to send in the manuscript; it's sure to be rejected.
He sent in three drawings for the competition.
The coach sent two players in.
All reports must be sent in by the end of the week.
Applications must be sent in by June 5.
Soldiers were sent in to quell the riots.
Entries have been sent in from all over the country.
- send in for( v.+adv.+prep. )
选派〔选送〕…参加 offer sb/sth for (competition)
send in for sth
The painters sent in for more paint.
漆工让里面再送些油漆。send sb/sth in for sth
The examination is very difficult,I don't send my students in for it until they're fully prepared.
Why don't you send your composition in for the competition?
- send into (v.+prep.)
使…进入某状态 cause sb into a state
send sb/sth into sth
The news sent them into a panic.
Habart's school report sent Father into a terrible temper.
- send off( v.+adv. )
派往; 运出 ask sb to; transport sth out
send sb off
The whole family went to the station to send them off.
That combat hero was warmly sent off by a large crowd.
那位战斗英雄受到一大群人的热烈欢送。send sb off to-v
Mary complained about getting up early in the morning to send her husband off to work.
玛丽抱怨早晨得早起送丈夫去上班。send sth ⇔ off
Have you sent that letter off yet?There's something I want to add to it.
We will send the goods off early tomorrow morning.
I should advise you to send the goods off early.
Please see that these parcels are sent off at once.
Light and heat are sent off, together with heavy smoke, and soon only black charcoal is left.
光和热伴随着浓烟一起发出来了,不久就只剩下黑色的木炭了。send sb/sth ⇔ off
His teacher sent him off to the principal's office.
Please send the goods off today.
Troops were being sent off to the front.
- send on1( v.+adv. )
使继续下去 cause to go on
send sth ⇔ on
I'll send on any letters that come for you.
Would you kindly send on the enclosed letter to Gamelin.
Shall we send your letters on or keep them till you get back?
I asked my wife to send all my letters on while I was away from home.
She didn't want to carry her heavy cases, so she sent them on ahead of her.
When he moved he left instructions for his letters to be sent on to his new address.
他搬家时曾关照过把他的信转到他的新地址。send sb/sth ⇔ on
They sent him on although he was ill.
They sent the traveller on to the next village.
As some urgent business detained him, he had to send his secretary on to the meeting.
You should never have sent on so inexperienced a player.
- send on2( v.+prep. )
派…参加(某事) cause (sb) to take part in (an activity), often elsewhere
send sb/sth on sb/sth
The company is sending me on a management course.
The government has sent a delegation on friendly visits to some countries in Europe.
They were sent on a reconnaissance mission to Zhengzhou.
- send out( v.+adv. )
散布; 派遣 circulate; dispatch
send sth ⇔ out
They sent out invitations to many people.
This lamp sends out a powerful beam.
The stove sent out a nice heat.
A source of light sends out many rays in all directions.
The rose sends out strong fragrance.
This flower seems to send out fragrance only during the night.
That radio transmitter sends signals out constantly.
The fire sent out a lot of smoke but little damage was caused.
This hole in the cave wall sends out a strange noise when the wind blows in a certain direction.
A flip of the switch sent water gushing out.
The goods were sent out from the warehouse yesterday.
For a time their products could not be sent out.
有一段时间他们的产品运不出来。send sth ⇔ out
The trees send out new shoots in the spring.
春天树都长出新枝。send sb/sth ⇔ out
The company is sending out leaflets to all its contacts.
Then we sent out five mobile sentries.
They were sent out as our representatives.
他们是作为我们的代表被派出去的。send sb/sth ⇔ out to-v
They sent him out to get the newspaper.
他们派他去取报纸。send sb/sth ⇔ out v-ing
The team sent some people out hunting and they bagged a wild boar.
- send out for( v.+adv.+prep. )
派人出去取 send sb to obtain sth from somewhere else
send out for sth
The workmen in the building sent out for some sandwiches.
We stayed in our hotel room and sent out for food.
我们留在旅店客房内,派人出去买些吃的。send sb out for sth
She sent her son out for a paper.
- send over (v.+adv.)
派遣,发送 cause sb/sth to move to a different place
send sb/sth ⇔ over
They sent him over to the police.
He's not here,I just sent him over to your place.
We'll send the new books over to you next week.
- send round (v.+adv.)
把…发送过去; 请〔派〕…过去〔过来〕 cause sth to be passed among different people; cause sb to move to a different place
I'll send round tomorrow to receive it.
Send round to the grocer's for a tin of biscuits.
叫人到食品店去买一听饼干。send sb/sth ⇔ round
When the visitors arrive at your office, would you send them round?
When are they sending the goods round?
Have you sent round the notice about the Christmas party yet?
A notice is being sent round to all members.
一张通知在全体成员中传阅。send sb/sth ⇔ round to-v
I'll send my boy round to collect the book.
We'll send someone round to repair your TV.
- send up1( v.+adv. )
使显得可笑; 讽刺; 挖苦 make fun of ( usually a person or style)
send sth ⇔ up
A rise in temperature will send up the pressure inside the casing.
The people on the island are sending up smoke signals.
The unusually severe winter in the south is sure to send up the price of oranges.
The heavy demand for beef sent the price up.
That piece of cake will send your weight up.
We have sent your name up to the Head Office, and you should hear about the job within a week.
He cleans the chimney by sending up a big brush.
They are sending the goods up from the shop.
Yet another spaceship has been sent up recently.
While the main party of climbers remained at base camp, two men were sent up to the top of the mountain.
These dishes are sent up to the restaurant from a kitchen on a lower floor.
这些菜从楼下的厨房送上餐厅。send sth ⇔ up
An enemy bomb has sent up the oil stores.
The enemy's ammunition was sent up in flames.
敌人的军火库被炸起火了。send sb up
I'm the one who sent him up.
Did you know that Milton was sent up for 20 years?
The murderer was sent up for life imprisonment.
那个杀人犯被判处无期徒刑。send sb/sth ⇔ up
At the end of the session, the students wrote a play in which they sent up their teachers.
He sent up the way his father walked and made everyone laugh.
The comic skit sent up the foolishness of young men in love.
- send up2( v.+prep. )
使沿…上升,上行 cause (sb/sth) to move up sth
send sb/sth up sth
When the doctor arrives, send him upstairs, will you?
He cleans the chimney by sending a big brush up it.
Two men were sent up the mountain while the main party of climbers remained at base camp.
- send a letter 寄信
- send a message 捎信
- send goods 发货
- send mails 发邮件
- send sb a gift 送…一件礼物
- send sb a postcard 给…寄一张明信片
- send sb the manuscript 将手稿寄给…
- send abroad 派出国
- send ahead 选派,派在前头
- send early 早些发出
- send sb forward 送某人前去
- send equitably 公平地派送
- send expressly 快速地派
- send immediately 立即发出
- send incessantly 不断地派出
- send precipitately 仓促地发出
- send about 把…打发走
- send along 派遣,发送
- send the goods along 把这批货物发出去
- send away 赶走,逐出,解雇
- send away boats to the rescue 派船前去救援
- send away one's servant 解雇佣人
- send back 送回,退还
- send down 勒令…停学,开除,使(温度〔价格〕)下降,把…向下发送
- send down shoes 把鞋拿下来
- send sb's temperature down 使某人的体温下降
- send forth 生出,发出,送出,派遣
- send forth branches 树长出枝叶
- send forth leaves 长叶子
- send in 呈报,送来,递送
- send in a bottle of wine 送一瓶葡萄酒来
- send in dinner 送来饭菜
- send the man in 叫那人进来
- send off 寄出,送别,逐出
- send off the parcel 寄出包裹
- send on 预送,转送
- send out 转送,发出,长出
- send out a number of letters 发出许多信
- send out light and heat 发出光和热
- send over 播出,运过去,发送,派遣
- send over to England 派(送)到英国去
- send over to the police 送交警方
- send round 使传阅,派送
- send up 使上涨,发射,提出,检举
- send up a rocket 发射火箭
- send up a satellite 发射卫星
- send up a trial balloon 发送探测气球
- send sb about his business 把某人解雇
- send as 派作为…
- send by 以…方式寄出
- send by mail 邮寄
- send by water 用船送
- send for 派人去拿某物〔请(某人)来〕
- send for the doctor 请医生来
- send sb for some beer 打发某人去买啤酒
- send into 使插入,补入
- send sb into the game 在比赛中派上某人
- send on 送…去参加
- send sb on a field trip 送某人去参加野外考察
- send sb on a mission 派某人执行任务
- send...to 把…送到…去
- send sb to bed 打发某人睡觉
- send sb to camp 送某人到野营地
He was sent as consul to the Orient.出自：Century Magazine
I sent the butler to New York with a letter to Wolfsheim.出自： Scott Fitzgerald
Frank was sent over to England..to stay with his relatives.出自： P. Fitzgerald
- send的基本意思是“派; 打发”,指通过某人或某种手段把东西送给某人或送到某目的地。也可作“用无线电波发送”“使…猛然或迅速移动”“发出信息”等解。
- 用于比喻, send还可作“使…兴奋,使激动”“施与,赐给”解。
- send接介词after表示“派人寻找”; 接副词away表示“遣走”“解雇”; 接副词down表示“使下降”; 接副词off表示“送别”“运送”或“差遣”; 接副词out表示“发出”“长出”; 接副词up表示“发射; 使上升”。send word的意思是“(请人)带口信,口头通知”。
Thank you for sending the flowers.
I shall send the book to him tomorrow.
I shall take the book to him tomorrow.
I shall give the book to him tomorrow.
send for sb表示“托人去做什么”。
I shall send for him to the office.
I shall send for him from the office.
I sent it to him a week ago.
- send sb to-v, send sb v-ing
- I send,I am sending
- I send here with the catalogues.
- I am sending here with the catalogues.
- send for, go for
- 这两者所表达的意义不同:send for指派人或送信去请要请的人,也可用于遣人来取某物件; 而go for表示自己去取、去买、去请。例如:
- Please keep the suitcase until I send for it.
- 请把这只手提箱保存一下,等我派人 来取。
- Mother has gone for some medicine.
- send, take
- 两者均可表示“送”。其区别在于:send多指派人去送,而自己不去; 而take多指自己亲自去送。试比较:
- I will send the dictionary to him this after- noon.
- I'll take the dictionary to him myself this afternoon.
- send, route, transmit
- 这三个词均可表示“送出”。其区别在于:send指通过命令、指导、武力、设备或内在能力把某人或某物送到另一个地方; route指按事先定好的路线投送某物,暗示一个接一个地投送; 而transmit表示将某物从一处传送到另一处,强调传送的方式,常指电波信号或信息的传送。例如:
- The packer was told to send off the two crates at once. 打包工被通知说这两个板条箱要立刻送出。
- He heard the call transmitted through Montreal.他接听从蒙特利尔转来的电话。
- The power which an engine develops is routed to the wheels.引擎产生的动力传递到车轮。
- send, forward, remit
- 1.宾语为信或电报时,可用send和remit,但后者还有“转送”“转交”的意思; 宾语为汇款时可用send和forward; 宾语为货物时可用forward和remit。例如:
- Applications should be forwarded through the Authority.申请书应通过工程处转交。
- He remits home every month.他每月汇款回家。
- I had no time to waste talking to him so I sent him packing.我没有时间和他说废话,所以就把他打发走了。
- send, give
- give一般指亲手给; 而send则指寄送或派人送。试比较:
- He gave me some pictures of Guilin.
- He sent me some pictures of Guilin.
- send, deliver, dispatch, mail, ship
- The goods will be delivered at noon tomorrow.明天中午交货。
- The farmers guarantee the quantity and quality of the vegetables that are delivered.农民们保证交售蔬菜的质量和数量。
- A messenger was dispatched to take the news to the soldiers at the front.一名通讯员被派去给前线士兵送消息。
- The allies agreed to dispatch reinforcements.同盟国同意派遣增援部队。
- Let's all go to the airport to send him off.我们都到机场给他送行。
- If any letters come after you've left,I'll send them on.如果你离开后,有信来了,我会转寄去的。
- Have you sent round the notice about the Christmas party yet?关于圣诞节晚会的通告,你是否已送出传阅?
- Some fruit doesn't ship well.有些水果不便运送。
- The goods were shipped last week.货物已于上周装船运走。
- They sent me to the doctor.
- They sent me for the doctor.
误 I'll send the book to your house myself this evening.
正 I'll bring the book to your house myself this evening.
误 I've sent the letter to her for twenty days.
正 I sent the letter to her twenty days ago.
正 It is twenty days since I sent the letter to her.
误 I sent my application in a good time.
正 I sent in my application in a good time.
析 表示“呈递”,应该说send in,而 send 只表示“送,寄”。我去度假时会寄给你明信片的。
误 I will send a postcard for you while I am away on holiday.
正 I will send a postcard to you while I am away on holiday.
正 I will send you a postcard while I am away on holiday.
析 send表示“寄(信件、包裹等)”或“发(电报)”时为及物动词。当 send 接双宾语时,其间接宾语可用介词to引出,表示“寄给某人或某处”,不用介词 for。爆炸使得东西到处乱飞。
误 The explosion sent things to fly everywhere.
正 The explosion sent things flying everywhere.
误 He asked to send to work in the countryside.
正 He asked to be sent to work in the countryside.
误 The trees send off new shoots in (the) spring.
正 The trees send out new shoots in (the) spring.
析 send out意为“发出(光,热),长出新芽〔枝〕”,而send off 意为“送行”。她母亲希望通过送她去芭蕾舞学校来矫正她笨拙的动作。
误 Her mother hopes to correct her clumsy movements by sending her for ballet school.
正 Her mother hopes to correct her clumsy movements by sending her to ballet school.
析 send sb to a place表示“送某人去某处”, to表示方向,引出地点名词,而for往往表示目的,一般不跟地点名词。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的sendan；最初源自古日耳曼语的sandijanan，意为发送，扔。