- vt. & vi. 说; 讲 speak
- vt. 说明,表明,宣称 express sth in words; show; give an opinion
- vt. 比方说,假定说 suppose; suggest
- [S] 决定权,发言权 power or right of (sharing in) acting or deciding
the chance to speak;
"let him have his say"
express in words;
"He said that he wanted to marry her"
"tell me what is bothering you"
"state your opinion"
"state your name"
report or maintain;
"He alleged that he was the victim of a crime"
"He said it was too late to intervene in the war"
"The registrar says that I owe the school money"
express a supposition;
"Let us say that he did not tell the truth"
"Let's say you had a lot of money--what would you do?"
have or contain a certain wording or form;
"The passage reads as follows"
"What does the law say?"
give instructions to or direct somebody to do something with authority;
"I said to him to go home"
"She ordered him to do the shopping"
"The mother told the child to get dressed"
speak, pronounce, or utter in a certain way;
"She pronounces French words in a funny way"
"I cannot say `zip wire'"
"Can the child sound out this complicated word?"
communicate or express nonverbally;
"What does this painting say?"
"Did his face say anything about how he felt?"
"She said `Hello' to everyone in the office"
state as one's opinion or judgement; declare;
"I say let's forget this whole business"
recite or repeat a fixed text;
"She said her `Hail Mary'"
"The clock says noon"
- He said hello to me with a smile.
- She said that she liked singing.
- He will of course say yes to my proposal.
- Be quiet, I've something to say to you.
- Why don't you make it another time, say Friday?
- You may learn to play the violin in, say, three year.
- The clock says three o'clock.
- We are considering giving them greater say in such matters.
- We had no say in the decision to sell the company
- Don't interrupt her, let her have her say.
- I shall have my own say in the matter.
- It is hard to say.
- You may well say so.
- Easier said than done.
- Don't ask me what I think of him because I cannot say.
- He glared angrily at her but did not say a word.
- Enid could not say one tender word.
- Have you said your words yet?
- Please open your mouth and say “ah”.
- Say all you know and say it without reserve.
- The actors said their lines perfectly.
- I stood up to say my repetition.
- The boy was saying his lessons.
- My watch says ten to four.
- The fact that she gave the money back says a lot about her honesty.
- Have you said your prayers?
- The radio says heavy rain in the afternoon.
- This poem can be both said and sung.
- She says to meet me at the station.
- The guidebook says to turn left.
- Please say which course to take.
- I will say how to use this word.
- He said that he had never been to Shanghai.
- He said that he'd like to see you.
- He said that his friend's name was Sam.
- He says that he really can't afford to wait another day.
- I would say that the bookcase contains about 1000 books.
- They say that it is a fine film.
- People said that we could reach it in a day's march.
- The letter says that he will come next week.
- She was smiling but her eyes said that she was unhappy.
- The forecast says that there's going to be a storm this afternoon.
- These tracks say that a rabbit has passed by here.
- Let's say your plan fails; then what do we do?
- Well, say it were true, what then?
- Let's say that you are right.
- He says that he can't afford to buy it.
- Everyone was saying what a handsome couple they made.
- Say what you have seen.
- She said what a splendid boy he was.
- He said what was in his mind, that is, gave his opinion.
- She did not say what he expected her to do.
- Nobody could say when the war would end.
- Say which you will have.
- It is said that he has gone to Beijing.
- It is said that they cancelled the order for 300 trucks.
- It was said that he was a very good doctor.
- The shepherd said,“No,I didn't hang my sheep,I hanged a wolf in sheep's clothing.”
- “Please hurry,” she said.
- “Do you think it will rain?”“I should say so/not.”
- So he says.
- Any one, let's say Smith, could do it.
- Let's take a walk, say, in the park.
- There were, say,20 people there.
- He will probably come here in, say, five minutes.
- Would you take an offer of, say 500 pounds for your car?
- We are considering giving them greater say in such matters.
- Everyone had a say in making the decision.
- People want a much greater say in how the country should be governed.
- The workpeople had no say in how their factory was run.
- He wanted to paint the room green but his wife had already chosen pink and he had no say in the matter.
- She had no say in the choice of a husband; her parents had all the say.
- not to say
近乎; 甚至可以说 and almost; or perhaps even
- say about( v.+prep. )
发表对…的看法 comment on; give one's opinion about
say sth about sth/v-ing
Please say something about my new dictionary.
Can't you say anything about the meal?
Did your parents have much to say about your being so late home last night?
Not too much can be said about the value of early rising.
- say after( v.+prep. )
跟着…说〔读〕 repeat sth after sb
say after sb
“Say after me.”the teacher said.
- say against( v.+prep. )
(说…)以反对 object sth by saying sth
say sth against sth
What did the police say against your story?
Mother is sure to have something to say against your desire to leave home.
- say for( v.+prep. )
为…讲话〔辩护〕say sth in favor of sth; offer as an excuse or as sth in defence
say sth for sb/sth/oneself
Don't you have one good word to say for her?
You were driving at ninety miles an hour. Have anything to say for yourself?
There is much to be said for both sides of this question.
- say of( v.+prep. )
对…有某种说法,就…谈看法 give one's opinion about sth
say of sb/sth that-clause
People say of her that she uses black magic.
It is said of him that he beats his wife.
It is often said of our island that it is like a jewel set in the sea.
- say on( v.+adv. )
〈非正〉接着说 continue to speak
Say on, we're still listening.
- say out( v.+adv. )
say sth ⇔ out
Say your piece out and pay attention to our feelings.
- say over( v.+adv. )
背诵 repeat from memory
say sth ⇔ over
Do you say your prayers over every night?
He practised saying his speech over until he was letter-perfect.
- say to( v.+prep. )
是否同意做某事 agree or not to do sth
say sth to sb
What did you say to your mother?
I want to say something to you in private.
我想私下对你说一些事。say to sb that-clause
He said to his mother that he would do it by himself.
他对他的母亲说他将自己独立做那件事。say sth to sth/v-ing
What do you say to that picture?
What do you say to going for a walk?
- say to oneself
暗想 think oneself
- to say nothing of
更不必说 without even considering; not to mention
- to say the least (of it)
至少可以说 without any exaggeration
- have〔say〕 one's say
有〔利用〕机会发表意见 have〔use〕 the chance to say sth, especially express one's opinion in a determined way
- say a few words 讲几句话
- say all one knows 知无不言
- say grace 做祷告
- say hello 问好
- say one's lesson 背课文
- say one's prayers 背祷告文
- say poetry 背诗
- say rain 预报有雨
- say sorry 说对不起
- say actually 明确地说
- say aloud 大声地说
- say apologetically 抱歉地说
- say approximately 大概地说
- say brusquely 鲁莽地说
- say confidently 满怀信心地说
- say coolly 冷冷地说
- say definitely 明确地说
- say deliberately 故意说
- say distinctly 清楚地说
- say emphatically 强调说
- say exactly 准确地表明
- say felicitously 贴切地表明
- say flatly 断言
- say frankly 坦率地说
- say happily 高兴地说
- say hoarsely 声音嘶哑地说
- say humbly 谦卑地说
- say impressively 说得明白
- say ironically 讽刺地说
- say openly 公开地说
- say peevishly 气恼地说
- say peremptorily 专断地说
- say perfectly 熟练地背诵
- say positively 明确地说
- say reproachfully 责备地说
- say safely 有把握地说
- say sardonically 挖苦地说
- say soothingly 安慰地说
- say stoutly 坚定地说
- say succinctly 扼要地说
- say sweepingly 一概而论地说
- say tactfully 婉转地说
- say truthfully 如实地说
- say unthinkingly 未经思考地说
- say on 接着说
- say out 说出来
- say over 背诵
- say about 谈论…
- say after 跟着…说
- say against 说…的坏话
- say before 在…面前说
- say for 替…说话
- say of 就…谈看法
- say to 对…说
- allow say 保留发言权
- finish say 把话讲完
- have all the say 有决定一切的权力
- have no say 没有决定权
- say out one's say 畅所欲言,无所不谈
- final say 最后的决定权
- bigger say 更多的发言权
- equal say 平等的发言权
- little say 很少的发言权
- major say 主要的决定权
- much greater say 更多的发言权
- real say 真正的发言权
The GLC have total say in who appears..in London.出自：Sounds
He says his say and then shuts up.出自： A. Burgess
If you give people a chance to have their say, ideas will come.出自：City Limits
Then said they vnto him, Say now, Shibboleth: and he said Sibboleth.出自：Bible (AV): Judges
I don't want people to see you together; it makes them say things.出自： A. H. Rice
Sit down, everyone...Who says steak-and-kidney pie?出自： H. G. Wells
I have said no word to him that was not strictly true.出自： J. Conrad
'Merchant of this city,' the tombstone said.出自： V. Woolf
'Fred,' she said, 'it was not as simple as that'.出自： E. Bowen
- say还可以作“比方说,假定说”解,是let's say的省略说法,用作插入语。
- say引出直接引语时,如果主句是放在引语之前,主句中的主语不管是名词或是代词,主谓均不倒装; 如果主句是放在引语之后或是插在引语之中,主语是代词时,主谓也不倒装,主语是名词时,主谓常可倒装。
- “It is/was said that...”结构的意思是“据说”。
- have a say意为“有发言权”; have the say意为“有决定权”; have said one's say意为“利用机会表达自己的意见”。
- not to say, to say nothing of, to say the least (of it)
- 这三个短语的意义和用法均不同:not to say作“虽不能说”解,它表示在所谈及的两个方面,后者的程度虽然大于前者,但前者的程度已非常大,几乎接近后者的程度,从而使前者得到强调,该短语连接的两个成分不能随意调换位置; to say nothing of意为“更不用说”,它表示在所谈及的两个东西中前者的重要性大于后者,其语义特点在于通过肯定前者的意义来突出后者,表示赞扬、不满、惋惜等感情; to say the least (of it)作“至少可以说”解,它后面的of it常省略,其中it是指前面所提及的事情。
- say, speak, talk, tell
- say指“说出”,着重指说出具体的内容,一般用作及物动词,后面的宾语是所说的话; speak指“说话,发言”,着重开口说话的动作,一般用作不及物动词,其宾语通常是表示某种语言名称的词; talk指“讲话,谈论”,意思与speak相近,在一些情况下可以通用,通常talk用作不及物动词; tell指“告诉”,是直接给对方讲或以间接的方式转诉某事,在多数情况下, tell的后面通常接双宾语,在少数情况下可用简单宾语。试体会下面这几个词的用法和含义:He had talked for a long time, but he spoke so fast that we couldn't catch what he said.他讲了很长时间,但他说得太快了,我们没听清他讲了些什么。
- Mr. Green was invited to speak〔talk〕 to us on Greek philosophy.格林先生应邀给我们讲希腊哲学。
- He told me the news.他告诉了我这个消息。
- He told me that he was coming.他告诉我说他就来。
- say hello to, ask after, give one's regards to
- 这三个短语的意思是“问候”。其区别在于:ask after指向某人问起(另一人的)健康状况或福利、兴盛等情况,但所问候的人并不想知道详细情况,只表示一般的关心而已,例如：
- He asked after your health.他向你问候。
- say hello to与give one's regard to的意思和用法基本相同,后面都接被问候的对象,有时,这种问候是礼节性的说法,例如：
- Say hello to your parents for me, please.请代我问候你父母。
- Please give my kind regards to your brother.请代我向令兄问候。
- not to say, not to mention
- I don't know English, not to mention French.
- It is warm today, not to say hot.
- not to say, not to speak of
- She speaks Greek, not to speak of English.
- She speaks Greek, not to say English.
- It is said in the papers that there will be a change in the foreign policy of that country.
- It says in the papers that there will be a change in the foreign policy of that country.
- The papers say that there will be a change in the foreign policy of that country.
- 据报道那个国家的外交政策会有所改 变。
- What do you say to a game of chess?
- What say you to a game of chess?
- “Is my answer wrong?”the boy said to himself.
- “Is my answer wrong?”the boy talked to himself.
- “我的答案错了吗?”那男孩自言自语 地说。
- Let him say, right here.
- Let him have his say, right here.
误 He thought that I said a lie.
正 He thought that I told a lie.
析 表达“说谎”往往用tell a lie〔tell lies〕,而不能说say a lie。“别碰它。”那个小男孩说。
误 “Don't touch it.”the small boy said.
正 “Don't touch it.”said the small boy.
误 Needless to speak, he is one of the leading scholars in this field.
正 Needless to say, he is one of the leading scholars in this field.
析 needless to say是习惯用法,意为“不用说”,这里say不可以用speak代替。都说他是个好孩子。
误 People say him to be a good boy.
正 He is said to be a good boy.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的secgan，意为说，讲。