- vt. & vi. 说话,谈话,交谈 say things with sb
- vt. 谈论,讨论,商谈 speak about; discuss
- vi. 表达思想 express thoughts as if by speech
- [S]交谈,谈话,聊天 a conversation
- [C]演说,讲话 an informal speech or lecture
- [U]空话,废话 empty of meaningless speech
- [S]热门话题 a subject much talked about by everyone in a particular place
an exchange of ideas via conversation;
"let's have more work and less talk around here"
discussion; (`talk about' is a less formal alternative for `discussion of');
"his poetry contains much talk about love and anger"
the act of giving a talk to an audience;
"I attended an interesting talk on local history"
a speech that is open to the public;
"he attended a lecture on telecommunications"
idle gossip or rumor;
"there has been talk about you lately"
exchange thoughts; talk with;
"We often talk business"
"Actions talk louder than words"
express in speech;
"She talks a lot of nonsense"
"This depressed patient does not verbalize"
"the baby talks already"
"the prisoner won't speak"
"they speak a strange dialect"
"If you don't oblige me, I'll talk!"
"The former employee spilled all the details"
divulge confidential information or secrets;
"Be careful--his secretary talks"
deliver a lecture or talk;
"She will talk at Rutgers next week"
"Did you ever lecture at Harvard?"
- I wish to talk with you in private.
- We need to hold another meeting next week to talk about some technical problems.
- In the hall a woman was talking on diet and health.
- He went on to talk about the world situation at present.
- He talked his father into lending him the car.
- I had a long talk with her that night.
- The talks between the two premiers will be held next month.
- The officers held a long talk about the price control and pay rise.
- She delivered a talk on philosophy to the society.
- In politics there is too much talk and not enough action.
- They were talking with each other.
- They talked loudly.
- Talk much, and err much.
- They were all talking at once.
- He could have come to the office if he wanted to talk.
- Human beings can talk; animals can't.
- Some parrots can talk.
- People who cannot speak or hear can talk by using sign language.
- Many deaf-mutes began to talk after acupuncture treatment.
- We must stop meeting like this—people are beginning to talk!
- Don't park your car outside my house; you know how people talk!
- The police persuaded the suspect to talk.
- He likes to talk big as though he was an important person.
- You can't believe more than half of what he says; he always likes to talk big.
- She talked quite sensible.
- Please talk sense.
- You're talking nonsense!
- Don't talk nonsense! I refuse to listen.
- He would never do such a thing. You're talking rubbish! Rubbish!
- The man doesn't talk reason.
- I talk Chinese.
- They kept on talking philosophy throughout the night.
- The instructor never talks personalities.
- The day's news is being talked.
- They talk themselves ill.
- He talked me to death.
- His talk was so diffuse that I missed his point.
- The dean has arranged with me about a talk in the evening.
- He hospitably asked me to step in and have a talk.
- It will afford us great pleasure to have a business talk with you.
- I have a very sharp recollection of my last talk with him two years ago.
- There was a delay before the car came to collect us so we made small talk in the meantime.
- He used so many technical terms in his talk that the audience could not make head or tail of it.
- I went to his talk with great interest, but to my disappointment, nothing very new came forth.
- I blushed at my friend's bad manners and loud talk.
- Did you hear the president's talk last night?
- I shall have to read up on this subject if I am to give a talk about it.
- They often give talks, advising children to acquire hygienic habits.
- I blamed George for the failure of the talks.
- Peace talks have broken down in the Middle East.
- Matters have been brought to a head in the peace talks; tomorrow they will either succeed or fail.
- The two governments had talks about their common troubles.
- Her behaviour causes a lot of talk among the neighbours.
- There's a lot of talk about you in the village.
- There is too much talk and not enough work being done.
- His threats are just talk.Don't worry!
- The manager strongly condemned empty talk instead of hard work.
- talk about( v.+prep. )
(在口语里常用来表示惊讶、羡慕、憎恶等感情色彩) (used to express surprise, admire, hate, etc.)
- talk back( v.+adv. )
顶嘴 answer in a rude way; answer back
Don't talk back!
Ruth was disciplined at school for talking back to the teacher.
It annoys me the way the children talk back to you like that.
- talk down( v.+adv. )
大声说话盖住(某人),不给(某人)说话机会 silence sb by talking louder and longer
talk down to sb
Harry is quite good in meetings but he must learn not to talk down to people.
It's always unwise for a lecturer to talk down to his audience.
讲演者用高人一等的口气同听众讲话是不明智的。talk sb ⇔ down
Richard is good at talking his opponent down.
The children were excited and they talked down their teacher from time to time.
- talk into( v.+prep. )
说服(某人)做某事; (把…)说成… persuade sb to do sth; say sth into sth
talk sb/sth into sth/v-ing
We finally talked him into agreement.
The salesclerk talked the customer into buying the new suit.
She talked her husband into having a holiday in France.
He is a man who talks black into white, right into wrong.
I was talked into doing it.
- talk nineteen to the dozen
讲得太快 talk fast
- talk of( v.+prep. )
谈到; 谈论 have a conversation about sb/sth/doing sth
talk of sb/sth/v-ing
Talk of the devil, and he will appear.
Talking of an aeroplanes, have you ever had a ride in it?
She talked gaily of art and literature and music.
We talked of his plans for the future.
What did they talk of?
We were just talking of the most exciting books that we had read recently.
Bernard Shaw talks again of writing a play for us.
They talk of building a new library there.
At one stage my friend talked of throwing up his job in advertising, but nothing much came of it.
He is talking of going to college.
She talked of writing a one-act play.
- talk off( v.+adv. )
说得天花乱坠; 说得烦死人 speak at great length
talk sb's head/ear off
You can talk my head off, but you can't change wrong into right.
All I wanted was a chance to read my book, but my seatmate talked my ear off.
- talk on( v.+prep. )
谈及 have a conversation about sb/sth
talk on sth
For the rest of the journey she talked on art, letters and other themes.
- talk out of( v.+adv.+prep. )
劝服(某人)不做某事 persuade sb not to do sth
talk sb out of v-ing
He talked his wife out of buying the new car.
His parents talked him out of getting married soon.
- talk over( v.+adv. )
说服某人改变意见 persuade sb not to do sth
talk sb/sth ⇔ over
I have talked him over.
They must have a great deal in common to talk over.
Talk it over with your wife and give me your answer tomorrow.
The matter was talked over at the last meeting.
这事上次会议上讨论过。talk sb over
In the end I was able to talk the other committee members over, and they agreed to vote in favour of the plan.
- talk round1( v.+adv. )
说服 persuade sb to agree to do sth
talk sb round
At first he didn't want to come but I talked him round.
I was against going to China, but Mary eventually managed to talk me round.
- talk round2( v.+prep. )
转弯抹角地说〔谈〕 avoid speaking directly about (a subject)
talk round sth
Get down to the brass tacks, and quit talking round the subject.
We don't like talking round things without coming to an decision.
- talk to( v.+prep. )
- talk up( v.+adv. )
坦白说话 say what you want or think; say what sb may not like
talk sth ⇔ up
We have been talking up the game.
If you do not talk down to a child, it will surely talk up to you.
- talk with( v.+prep. )
- idle talk
闲聊,闲扯 gossip〔useless〕 conversation
- the talk of the town〔street〕
街谈巷议的话题 sth that everybody is discussing
- talk Billingsgate 用粗话骂人
- talk buckle 谈及婚姻,谈及婚嫁
- talk business 谈生意经,讲正经事
- talk Greek 用别人不懂的字眼谈话
- talk Hebrew 胡说八道
- talk horse 吹牛,说大话
- talk muggins 说瞎话,胡扯
- talk sense 说得有道理
- talk shop 说行话,说本行话
- talk show 名人专访
- talk the day's news 谈论当天的新闻
- talk turkey 一本正经地谈,言归正传
- talk aloud 大声地说
- talk early 早早地说
- talk together 商量
- talk accurately 准确地说
- talk actually 明确地说
- talk admirably 说得很好
- talk agreeably 说得很中听
- talk amorously 一往情深地说
- talk apologetically 抱歉地说
- talk approximately 大概地说
- talk articulately 说得清楚
- talk badly 讲得不好
- talk bitterly 沉痛地说
- talk bluntly 直截了当地说
- talk boldly 大胆地讲出来
- talk briefly 扼要地说
- talk broadly 一般地说
- talk brokenly 断断续续地说
- talk brusquely 鲁莽地说
- talk candidly 坦白地说
- talk cautiously 谨慎地说
- talk circuitously 拐弯抹角地说
- talk civilly 彬彬有礼地说
- talk comparatively 相对说来
- talk confidently 满怀信心地说
- talk coolly 冷冷地说
- talk decisively 很肯定地说
- talk definitely 明确地说
- talk deliberately 故意说
- talk disrespectfully 毫无尊敬地说
- talk distinctly 清楚地说
- talk emphatically 强调说
- talk exactly 准确地表明
- talk falsely 错误地说
- talk feelingly 富有感情地说
- talk felicitously 贴切地表明
- talk firmly 坚定地说
- talk flatly 断言
- talk fluently 流利地说
- talk frankly 坦率地说
- talk freely 无拘束地谈话
- talk friendly 友好地谈话
- talk generally 总体上说来
- talk glibly 伶牙俐齿地说
- talk happily 高兴地说
- talk harshly 严厉地说
- talk highly 赞扬地说
- talk hoarsely 声音嘶哑地说
- talk humbly 谦卑地说
- talk impressively 说得给人留下深刻印象
- talk incoherently 说话语无伦次
- talk individually 个别交谈
- talk intelligibly 说得清楚明白
- talk interestingly 说话风趣
- talk ironically 讽刺地说
- talk legally 从法律上来说
- talk lightly 轻蔑地说
- talk loudly 大声讲话
- talk naturally 自然地说
- talk nervously 紧张不安地说
- talk objectively 客观地说
- talk openly 公开地说
- talk passionately 热情地说
- talk peevishly 气恼地说
- talk peremptorily 专断地说
- talk perfectly 熟练地背诵
- talk philosophically 从哲学上来说
- talk plainly 明白地说
- talk positively 明确地说
- talk practically 实际上说
- talk properly 确切地说
- talk quickly 说得很快
- talk reproachfully 责备地说
- talk roughly 粗鲁地说
- talk safely 有把握地说
- talk sardonically 挖苦地说
- talk slightingly 轻蔑地说
- talk softly 温和地说话
- talk soothingly 安慰地说
- talk stoutly 坚定地说
- talk succinctly 扼要地说
- talk sweepingly 一概而论地说
- talk tactfully 婉转地说
- talk technically 从技术上来说
- talk truthfully 如实地说
- talk unkindly 不友好地说
- talk unthinkingly 未经思考地说
- talk vulgarly 说话粗鲁
- talk widely 广泛论述
- talk back 回嘴,反驳
- talk down 驳倒
- talk out 把话都讲完
- talk over a matter 讨论一件事情
- talk over the plan 讨论这计划
- talk round 说服
- talk up 大声讲,大胆地讲
- talk about the elections 谈论有关选举的事
- talk about the problem 谈论问题
- talk about the work 谈论工作
- talk against others 说别人的坏话
- talk at length 详细阐述
- talk for an hour 谈一小时
- talk sb into buying a new car 说服某人买一辆新车
- talk of one's trip 谈论旅行见闻
- talk of the matter 谈到那件事
- talk on a topic 谈论某一话题
- talk on politics 讨论政治
- talk over the phone 在电话里谈话
- talk through an interpreter 通过一位译员交谈
- talk to oneself 自言自语
- talk to some foreign sailors 同外国海员谈话
- become the talk 成为话题
- break off the talk 中断会谈
- carry out talks 谈话,进行会谈
- cease a talk 停止谈话
- compose a talk 使讨论静下来
- continue a talk 继续谈话,继续会谈
- deliver talk 讲演
- end a talk 结束报告,结束演讲
- finish one's talk 讲完,结束报告,结束演讲
- give a talk 作一次报告
- have a talk 听交谈
- hear a talk 听报告
- hold a talk 进行交谈
- hush talk 使讨论静下来
- listen to a talk 听报告,听演讲
- make talk 闲谈,无话找话谈(以消磨时间)
- muzzle talk 使谈话静下来
- overhear sb's talk 偷听某人的谈话
- silence talk 使谈话静下来
- start a talk 开始讲话,开始作报告
- stifle talk 使谈话静下来
- all talks 空话连篇
- big talk 说大话,吹牛皮
- boasting talk 说大话,吹牛皮
- careless talk 漫不经心的谈话
- casual talk 随便谈谈
- double talk 含糊不清的骗人话
- earnest talk 诚挚的会谈
- empty talk 空谈
- fast talk 花言巧语
- formal talk 正式谈话,正式会谈
- frank talk 坦率的谈话
- free talk 随便的谈话,自由谈话
- friendly talk 友好的交谈
- good talk 好报告,好演讲
- heart-to-heart talk 开诚布公的谈话,谈心
- interesting talk 有趣的报告
- large talk 夸张之词
- long talk 长谈
- loose talk 信口胡说
- much talk 许多传说
- plain talk 坦白的谈话
- poor talk 糟糕的报告
- preparatory talk 预备性会谈
- private talk 私下交谈
- public talk 公开谈话
- short talk 短时间的交谈,短的报告
- small talk 聊天
- straight talk 坦率的谈话
- sweet talk 甜言蜜语
- baby talk 儿语
- broadcast talk 广播讲话
- business talk 谈生意
- peace talk 和谈
- radio talk 广播讲话
- sales talk 推销商品的讲话,商品宣传
- shop talk 行话
- table talk 席间闲聊,餐桌漫谈
There was always talk and debate, a..scandal to discuss.出自： L. Uris
No advanced civilization without conversation: talk was not only enjoyable, it was liberating.出自： J. Gross
He felt that he could talk to her, tell her anything.出自： D. Barnes
I've always wanted to have the chance to talk with you.出自： C. P. Snow
You understand, it was the liquor talking, if I said anything to wound you.出自： fig.
- talk的基本意思是“说话,谈话; 谈论”,指通过说话交换意见、思想、消息等。引申可作“表达思想,提供信息”“说出内情”“说闲话”解。
- talk有时也可用作系动词,接big, sensible, silly, wild, funny等形容词作表语。
- talk可用于说话中讲某种语言,相当于speak。talk作“谈论”解时,其宾语通常不是指人的词,而常用business, philosophy, politics等作宾语,表示一个整个的题材。
- talk后接介词about表示“谈论某事或某人”; 后接介词of表示“谈及,谈到”“说到要做某事”; 后接副词over表示“讨论,商量”或“聊天,闲谈”; 后接介词to表示“对…谈话”; 后接介词with表示“和…谈话”。
- talk business, talk shop
- 这两个短语意思不同:talk business是“讲正经事”的意思; 而talk shop作“讲行话”解。试比较:
- They have a habit of talking shop.
- We are willing to listen if you are going to talk business.
- talk, chat, converse, speak
- speak含义较广,较正式,可指连贯、系统地发言、讲话,也可指支离破碎地交谈,还可指自言自语; converse常指在谈话中交换意见或想法,且表示在几个人之间的交谈; chat往往指以友好的态度,谈一些不重要的事情; talk强调“交谈”多半是指数人之间的交谈,包括严肃的讨论,也表示轻松的闲聊。例如:
- The two friends sat in a corner and chatted about the weather.那两位朋友坐在一个旮旯里谈论天气。
- I can converse with anyone about anything.我可以和任何人谈论任何事情。
- He is talking to a friend.他在和一个朋友交谈。
- talk over, discuss
- 两者都有“讨论”的意思。其区别在于:discuss强调气氛通常是融洽的,目的是“达成共识”; talk over强调详尽透彻的过程。例如:
- We discussed holding the sports meet next week.我们讨论了下周开运动会的问题。
- I want to talk this over with you.这件事我要和你商量一下。
- talk, say, speak, tell
- say指“说出”,着重指说出具体的内容,一般用作及物动词,后面的宾语是所说的话; speak指“说话,发言”,着重开口说话的动作,一般用作不及物动词,其宾语通常是表示某种语言名称的词; talk指“讲话,谈论”,意思与speak相近,在一些情况下可以通用,通常talk用作不及物动词; tell指“告诉”,是直接给对方讲或以间接的方式转诉某事,在多数情况下, tell的后面通常接双宾语,在少数情况下可用简单宾语。试体会下面这几个词的用法和含义:He had talked for a long time, but he spoke so fast that we couldn't catch what he said.他讲了很长时间,但他说得太快了,我们没听清他讲了些什么。
- Mr. Green was invited to speak〔talk〕 to us on Greek philosophy.格林先生应邀给我们讲希腊哲学。
- He told me the news.他告诉了我这个消息。
- He told me that he was coming.他告诉我说他就来。
- talk to, speak to, tell off
- speak to是指某人做错了事,因此说说他,是温和地责备,轻微地申斥,含有规劝的意味; talk to的意思是“训斥”“劝诫”; tell off表示述说某人的坏行为。例如:
- I'll see that he is spoken to about it.关于那件事我想我得找人和他谈谈。
- I'll talk to him.我会训斥他的。
- That fellow needs to be told off.那个家伙该挨一顿骂。
- He talked things over with his wife.
- He and his wife talked things over.
- I won't talk a word.
- I won't speak a word.
- I won't say a word.
- talk, address, lecture, oration, report, speech
- 1.在这组词中, address, speech, talk, oration四个词是同义词, lecture和report的词义与其他四个词的词义差异较大。
- Professor Black will give us a lecture on English literature tomorrow afternoon.布莱克教授明天下午将给我们做关于英国文学的演讲。
- His mother gave him a lecture for getting up late.他妈妈因为他睡懒觉而训斥了他一顿。
- The manager had just given the company's annual report.经理刚做了公司的年度报告。
- 2.address, speech, talk, oration四个词的共同含义是“当众讲话”。其区别是：
- ①speech和talk是普通用语, address和oration是正式用语。
- ②address和oration用于正式隆重的场合,经过充分准备,听众较多,篇幅较长。这两者中, oration比address更正式,更隆重,人更多,篇幅更长。例如：
- The minister's address will be broadcast at 8 o'clock.部长的讲话将于8时广播。
- Lincoln's Gettysburg Address was an oration.林肯的盖茨堡讲演是一篇雄辩有力的演说辞。
- ③speech和talk的区别是：speech多用于正式场合,也可用于非正式场合; 而talk多用于非正式场合,也可用于正式场合。speech一般是经过准备的也可不经过准备; 而talk一般是不经过准备的。speech的措辞一般是庄重的; 而talk是较为随便的,讲话方式也较自由,甚至也可以是对话。例如：
- Please tell us what you think in a few simple words, we don't want a speech.请用简短的话说明你的意思,不要演说。
- We enjoy freedom of speech.我们有言论自由。
- We had a long talk about it.关于此事,我们作了一次长谈。
- He gave us a very interesting talk on Yugoslavia.他给我们作了一场饶有兴趣的关于南斯拉夫的报告。
- His speech was sent to the newspaper in advance.他的讲话稿事先就送报社去了。
- Her speech is informal and filled with colloquialisms.她的讲话常是非正式的,很口语化。
- talk, dialogue
- talk指通过谈话交换意见、思想、消息等,也可指在较随便的场合所作的内容广泛的“讲话”,往往具有亲切、诚挚、坦率的特点; dialogue指“对话”,较为正式,尤指对话体的作品或戏剧中的对白和小说中的对话,近年也可指意见分歧的双方的交换意见。例如:
- The novel is written in dialogue.这本小说是用对话体写的。
- More dialogues between world leaders is needed.世界各国领导人之间需要多交换意见。
误 He talked that he would visit Beijing this summer.
正 He talked of visiting Beijing this summer.
析 talk后不可接从句作宾语,但可接“of+ v -ing”的形式。
- ☆ 13世纪初期进入英语，直接源自中古英语的talken，意为讲话，谈话。
- keep quiet 保持安静...
- talkative adj. 健谈的；多嘴的；喜欢说话的