- vt. & vi. 讲; 谈 say in words; talk
- vt. & vi. 演说; 演讲 make a speech
express in speech;
"She talks a lot of nonsense"
"This depressed patient does not verbalize"
exchange thoughts; talk with;
"We often talk business"
"Actions talk louder than words"
"the baby talks already"
"the prisoner won't speak"
"they speak a strange dialect"
give a speech to;
"The chairman addressed the board of trustees"
make a characteristic or natural sound;
"The drums spoke"
- Does anyone speak English here?
- I'm quite capable of speaking for myself, thank you!
- The patient is too weak to speak.
- He will speak on the air this evening.
- The orator tried to speak,but the crowd simply laughed him down.
- Please speak to the subject under discussion.
- It is the first time that I speak in public.
- The child hasn't learnt to speak yet.
- Children speak before they read.
- Is it very difficult to train the dumb to learn to speak?
- He is due to speak this evening.
- She was so frightened that she could not speak.
- Who's speaking?—This is Peter speaking.
- He spoke in front of a large audience.
- Who's going to speak at the meeting next Friday?
- The President will speak tonight on television.
- The big guns spoke thunderously.
- The portrait speaks.
- Facts speak louder than words.
- How many languages do you speak?
- He speaks English very fluently.
- She speaks a little French.
- It's extraordinary that the American girl Jane speaks Chinese so fluently.
- None of them can speak Spanish.
- He feels comfortable with those who speak the Shanghai dialect.
- She speaks several languages.
- He spoke only a few words.
- He spoke a falsehood.
- He always speaks the truth.
- He spoke words of praise.
- In this passage the writer is speaking his own convictions.
- One little fact may speak volumes.
- When we asked the students what they thought of the new plan, they spoke their minds freely.
- This poem speaks his optimism.
- She spoke what was in her heart.
- Is English spoken here?
- speak about (v.+prep.)
提到… mention or talk openly about sth/sb
speak about sb/sth
We don't speak about that unfortunate period in our family history.
Nice people don't speak about such unpleasant matters.
- speak for (v.+prep.)
不言而喻 need no further explanation〔说明〕 speak for作此解时通常不用于进行体。
- speak of (v.+prep.)
谈到,讲到 talk about; mention in speaking
speak of sth
She spoke of the government's plans for the unemployed.
I have never spoken of these things to anyone before.
In his lecture, he spoke of the increasing use of computers.
It is nothing to speak of.
Whom have you been speaking of?
That is the museum that I spoke of just now.
The lecturer spoke of many things relating to chemistry.
We defy death,not to speak of hardships and difficulties.
- speak out (v.+adv.)
大胆讲; 毫无保留地说出 speak boldly, freely, and plainly
We've been silent for too long, it's time to speak out.
Speak out—don't be afraid.
I was determined to speak out.
我决心直言不讳。speak out against sth
I am going to speak out against the committee's decision.
I expect you to speak out against tyranny when the time comes.
He spoke out against the plan because he thought it was too costly.
- speak to (v.+prep.)
责备〔提醒,请求〕 speak severely to; admonish; ask sb to do sth
speak to sb/sth
Did you speak to him in English?
Could you come and speak to our Literary Society?
She was afraid to be seen speaking to me.
Few noble persons ever spoke to those of humble origins but to give an order.
贵人们除了发号施令以外很少跟出身卑贱的人说话。speak sth to sb
He has spoken his mind to me.
I am angry and I want a chance to speak my mind to the director.
我很气愤,我想找机会向主任坦率地谈谈自己的想法。speak to sb/sth
He did not speak to the subject.
We must speak to the topic under discussion.
He spoke to the question.
I can speak to his veracity.
He did not speak to the point.
他的话不中肯。speak to sb
He was late again today; it's time you spoke to that boy.
I'll speak to him about his rudeness at the meeting.
The manager spoke to John about his slackness in work.
- speak up (v.+adv.)
大声讲 speak more loudly
The teacher asked the shy little girl to speak up.
Would you please speak up, as we can't hear you?
His talk is interesting but I do wish he'd speak up.
- speak English 讲英语
- speak four languages 讲四种语言
- speak one's mind 坦白直言
- speak one's piece 说想说的话
- speak the same language 有共同语言
- speak the truth 讲实话
- speak accurately 准确地说
- speak admirably 说得很好
- speak aloud 大声地说
- speak agreeably 说得很中听
- speak amorously 一往情深地说
- speak approvingly 赞成地说
- speak articulately 说得清楚
- speak badly 讲得不好
- speak bitterly 沉痛地说
- speak bluntly 直截了当地说
- speak boldly 大胆地讲出来
- speak briefly 扼要地说
- speak broadly 一般地说
- speak brokenly 断断续续地说
- speak candidly 坦白地说
- speak cautiously 谨慎地说
- speak circuitously 拐弯抹角地说
- speak civilly 彬彬有礼地说
- speak comparatively 相对说来
- speak decisively 很坚定地说
- speak disrespectfully 毫不尊敬地说
- speak distinctly 讲清楚
- speak falsely 错误地说
- speak feelingly 富有感情地说
- speak firmly 坚定地说
- speak fluently 流利地说
- speak frankly 坦率地说
- speak freely 无拘无束地说
- speak generally 总体上说来
- speak glibly 伶牙俐齿地说
- speak harshly 严厉地说
- speak highly 赞扬地说
- speak incoherently 说话语无伦次
- speak idiomatically 用地道的语言说
- speak intelligibly 说得清楚明白
- speak interestingly 说话风趣
- speak ironically 讽刺地说
- speak legally 从法律上来说
- speak lightly 轻蔑地说
- speak naturally 自然地说
- speak nervously 紧张不安地说
- speak objectively 客观地说
- speak passionately 热情地说
- speak philosophically 从哲学上来说
- speak plainly 明白地说
- speak practically 实际上说
- speak properly 确切地说
- speak quickly 说得很快
- speak roughly 粗鲁地说
- speak slightingly 轻蔑地说
- speak softly 温和地说话
- speak technically 从技术上来说
- speak truthfully 诚实地说
- speak unkindly 不友好地说
- speak vulgarly 说话粗鲁
- speak warmly 亲切地说
- speak aside 旁白
- speak down to sb 以上司口吻对某人说话
- speak out 大声讲,毫无顾虑地说出
- speak out against these abuses 发言反对这些弊病
- speak out one's mind 说出心里话
- speak out one's thought 把想法说出来
- speak up 说大声点,把…说出来
- speak about 谈起
- speak about politics 谈论政治
- speak against 对(某事)提意见
- speak at a large gathering 在一次大型集会上演讲
- speak by the book 说话确切
- speak for 作为…的代言人
- speak for itself 不言而喻
- speak for oneself 为自己辩护,发表个人意见
- speak for sb to the director 代表…向主任进言
- speak for tea 要求喝茶
- speak for the accused 为被告辩护
- speak from 凭…说
- speak from experience 根据经验说话
- speak from memory 凭记忆讲
- speak from notes 照提纲讲
- speak from the heart 凭良心说
- speak in 用…交谈
- speak in English 用英语讲话
- speak of 谈及…
- speak ill of 说…坏话
- speak well of 说…好话
- speak of the old days on the campus 谈起昔日的校园生活
- speak of the writer's childhood 谈及这个作家的童年
- speak on a subject 谈论某个问题
- speak on the topic 讲这个题目
- speak over the radio 做广播讲话
- speak through an interpreter 通过译员讲话
- speak to 针对…说话,与…谈话
- speak to brick wall 对牛弹琴
- speak to nobody 对谁也不讲
- speak to oneself 自言自语
- speak to the crowd 对人群说话
- speak to the subject 说到主题
- speak under one's breath 低声讲话
- speak with effect 说话算数
- speak with effort 讲话很吃力
- speak with sb in private 私下和…谈话
- speak with tears in one's eyes 眼泪汪汪地说
It was fair the speak of the place that happening early in April.出自： L. G. Gibbon
The one who spoke had a broad Lancashire accent.出自： J. Wain
William found her very weak and unable to speak distinctly.出自： G. Battiscombe
No one spoke except about the weather.出自：Encounter
He must speak to this woman.出自： P. Fitzgerald
- speak well〔ill〕 for, speak well〔ill〕 of
- 1.speak well〔ill〕 for的意思是“证〔说〕明…好〔坏〕”; 而speak well〔ill〕 of的意思是“说…好〔坏〕话”。例如:
- His generous gift speaks well for his willingness to help others.他慷慨的赠品说明了他助人的诚意。
- I have never spoken ill of him.我从未说过他的坏话。
- 2.speak well〔ill〕 for的主语可用事态名词作主语,也可用无人称代词it作主语; 而speak well〔ill〕 of只能以人作主语。
- 3.speak of中间可用副词highly或favourable; 而speak for不可。例如:
- I'd like to meet his daughter, everyone speaks very highly of her.我很想见见他的女儿,人人都称赞她。
- speak to, speak with
- speak to强调一个人对另一个人讲话,有主动讲与被动听的意味; 而speak with则着重“相互交谈”的意味。例如:
- I wish to speak to you in private.我希望私下和你谈谈。
- I spoke with them for an hour.我和他们谈了一个小时。
- 另一方面英式英语中常用speak to,而美式英语中常用speak with。
- speak to, talk to, tell off
- speak to是指某人做错了事,因此说说他,是温和地责备,轻微地申斥,含有规劝的意味; talk to的意思是“训斥”“劝诫”; tell off表示述说某人的坏行为。例如:
- I'll see that he is spoken to about it.关于那件事我想我得找人和他谈谈。
- I'll talk to him.我会训斥他的。
- That fellow needs to be told off.那个家伙该挨一顿骂。
- not to speak of, not to say
- She speaks Greek, not to speak of English.
- She speaks Greek, not to say English.
- speak, chat, converse, talk
- speak含义较广,较正式,可指连贯、系统地发言、讲话,也可指支离破碎地交谈,还可指自言自语; converse常指在谈话中交换意见或想法,且表示在几个人之间的交谈; chat往往指以友好的态度,谈一些不重要的事情; talk强调“交谈”多半是指数人之间的交谈,包括严肃的讨论,也表示轻松的闲聊。例如:
- The two friends sat in a corner and chatted about the weather.那两位朋友坐在一个旮旯里谈论天气。
- I can converse with anyone about anything.我可以和任何人谈论任何事情。
- He is talking to a friend.他在和一个朋友交谈。
- speak, declaim, deliver, lecture
- speak一般指在公共场合讲话; declaim有慷慨激昂地演说、朗诵或以言辞攻击某人或某种观点的含义; deliver指讲道、陈述意见或讲授一门功课; lecture可指就某一专题演讲或强调教导性的演说。例如:
- She was declaiming against the waste of the taxpayers' money.她慷慨陈词,猛烈抨击对纳税人金钱的浪费。
- He is delivering a speech.他正在作演讲。
- I wish you'd stop lecturing me.我希望你不要再教训我。
- speak, say, talk, tell
- say指“说出”,着重指说出具体的内容,一般用作及物动词,后面的宾语是所说的话; speak指“说话,发言”,着重开口说话的动作,一般用作不及物动词,其宾语通常是表示某种语言名称的词; talk指“讲话,谈论”,意思与speak相近,在一些情况下可以通用,通常talk用作不及物动词; tell指“告诉”,是直接给对方讲或以间接的方式转诉某事,在多数情况下, tell的后面通常接双宾语,在少数情况下可用简单宾语。试体会下面这几个词的用法和含义:He had talked for a long time, but he spoke so fast that we couldn't catch what he said.他讲了很长时间,但他说得太快了,我们没听清他讲了些什么。
- Mr. Green was invited to speak〔talk〕 to us on Greek philosophy.格林先生应邀给我们讲希腊哲学。
- He told me the news.他告诉了我这个消息。
- He told me that he was coming.他告诉我说他就来。
- Do you speak English?
- Can you speak English?
- He speaks English.
- He speaks in English.
- He is speaking to her.
- He is speaking at her.
- She didn't speak of the matter.
- She didn't speak about the matter.
- Let's practise speaking English.
- Let's practise spoken English.
误 He didn't speak where he lived.
正 He didn't say where he lived.
误 He says English well.
正 He speaks English well.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的specan，意为说话。