- [C]叶子 one of the parts of a plant, growing from a stem or branch or directly from the root
- [C]页 sheet of paper
- [C]金属薄片,金箔 metal, especially gold or silver, in the form of very thin sheets
- [C]折面或活面 hinged flap or detachable section used to extend a table-top
- the main organ of photosynthesis and transpiration in higher plants
- a sheet of any written or printed material (especially in a manuscript or book)
- hinged or detachable flat section (as of a table or door)
- look through a book or other written material;
"He thumbed through the report"
"She leafed through the volume"
- turn over pages;
"leaf through a book"
"leaf a manuscript"
- produce leaves, of plants
- I saw him take a leaf out of the book.
- The falling leaf spiralled to the ground.
- Not a leaf nor an insect stirred.
- This plant has green leaves throughout the year.
- The trees are just beginning to leaf.
Leaves fell off.
The leaves turn brown in autumn.
It was autumn and the leaves were yellow.
I took away the leaves in the gutters.
The wind became furious, tearing leaves off trees, carrying great volumes of dust before it.
They live in a frail shelter of leaves.
Several leaves had been torn out of the novel.
Slowly, she turned the leaves of the beautiful old book.
They needed three gold leaves.
We put two extra leaves in the table for the dinner.
Pull out both leaves of the table.
- come into〔be〕 in leaf
长叶子,生满叶的,绿叶满枝的 grow leaves;being covered with leaves
I love this time of year when all the trees are coming into leaves. 我喜欢一年中的这个时候,所有的树木都在长叶子。
The trees will soon be in leaf. 树木不久都要绿叶满枝了。
- 长叶子,生满叶的,绿叶满枝的 grow leaves;being covered with leaves
- take a leaf from〔out of〕 sb's book
以某人为榜样 copy sb;act or behave in a similar way to sb
You should take a leaf out of your brother's book and study more. 你应该学你哥哥的榜样,多学点知识。
If you want to buy a house, you should take a leaf out of my book and start saving money. 如果你想买房子,你就应该学学我的样子,开始攒钱。
- 以某人为榜样 copy sb;act or behave in a similar way to sb
- turn over a new leaf
掀开新的一页,重新开始,改过自新 begin a new course of improved behaviour, habits, etc.
He promised to turn over a new leaf and study harder. 他保证重新开始,更加努力地学习。
I've decided to turn over a new leaf and do lots of exercise from now on. 我已决定重新开始,从现在起多锻炼。
He decided to turn over a new leaf. He would live simply and regain the respect of his family. 他决定改过自新,艰苦朴素,重新得到家人的尊敬。
- 掀开新的一页,重新开始,改过自新 begin a new course of improved behaviour, habits, etc.
- blow off the leaf 把树叶吹落
- burst into leaf 长叶
- come into leaf 吐出新叶
- drop leaf 落叶
- lose leaf 落叶
- pick leaf 摘叶
- sweep up dead leaves 扫掉枯叶
- take a leaf from sb's book 仿效某人
- turn a new leaf 翻开新的一页,揭开新篇章
- turn over a new leaf 洗心革面,重新开始
- brown leaf 褐色的叶子
- dancing leaf 舞动的叶子
- dead leaf 枯死的叶子
- dry leaf 干枯的叶子
- fallen leaf 落叶
- green leaf 绿叶
- red leaf 红叶
- yellow leaf 黄叶
- young leaf 嫩叶
I was shaking like an aspen leaf.出自：A. A. Milne
The stacked-up, wet beech leaves slowly turning to compost.出自：V. S. Naipaul
One tattered old magazine, the sort of thing you leaf through at the dentist.出自：D. Lessing
- come into leaf和in leaf中的leaf都用单数形式。
- leaf偶尔也可用作动词,与together连用,表示“匆匆阅读”。例如:Waiting to see the doctor,Jim was too nervous to read properly, so he just leafed through some old magazines that were kept in the waiting room.吉姆在等医生看病时,紧张得无法看书,所以只是翻翻放在候诊室的几本旧杂志。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的laef，意为植物的叶子，书页。
- foliature <罕>=foliage
- over在 ... 的上方...
- turn over滚动
- leaf:英语单词 LEAF 相关解释及应用 n.1. 叶子【C】The trees are thick with leaves.这些树生长着浓密的树叶。2. (书籍等的)一张,一页【C】He tore a…