- <美><俚><贬>女人 ，婆娘，娘儿们
- 宽的,阔的; 广的 large in size from one side to the other; wide
- 宽宏的,胸怀开阔的 tolerant; liberal
- [A]清楚的,明显的 clear; obvious
- [A]大概的,不详细的 general; not detailed
- slang term for a woman;
"a broad is a woman who can throw a mean punch"
- having great (or a certain) extent from one side to the other;
"a wide necktie"
"three feet wide"
"a river two miles broad"
"a broad river"
- broad in scope or content;
"across-the-board pay increases"
"an all-embracing definition"
"blanket sanctions against human-rights violators"
"an invention with broad applications"
"a panoptic study of Soviet nationality"
"granted him wide powers"
- not detailed or specific;
"a broad rule"
"the broad outlines of the plan"
"felt an unspecific dread"
- lacking subtlety; obvious;
"gave us a broad hint that it was time to leave"
- being at a peak or culminating point;
- very large in expanse or scope;
"a broad lawn"
"the wide plains"
"a spacious view"
- (of speech) heavily and noticeably regional;
"a broad southern accent"
- showing or characterized by broad-mindedness;
"a broad political stance"
"generous and broad sympathies"
"a liberal newspaper"
"tolerant of his opponent's opinions"
- The broad steps in front of the mansion made it look very dignified.
- The Minister gave a broad hint that she intends to raise taxes.
- The kidnapping occurred in broad daylight.
- He is broad-minded.
What a broad boulevard!
The banana tree has broad leaves.
The broad motorway has six traffic lanes.
There are broad pastures in the mountains.
The broad lines on the map correspond to the roads.
The children are running up and down the broad road.
They crossed the broad plains of the West in covered wagons.
The broad masses of the people are behind you.
The theory was not received〔accepted〕 as truth by the broad masses of people.
The broad masses of the people of the world want friendship with China.
Our teacher is a man of broad experience.
He has a broad mind in these matters.
He has a broad mind.
He is a man of broad views.
We all agree with his broad ideas.
She gave me a broad hint.
Broad hints were aired that the paper should be closed down.
He made a broad statement.
The negotiators reached broad agreement on the main issues.
I have a broad general idea of your plan: now give me the details.
He stated his view in broad outline.
It's a river 50 meters broad.
There is a desk one metre broad in the office.
The street is forty metres broad or so here.
The river grows broader as it nears the sea.
Her style wasn't broad enough.
The two brothers are much alike, but the elder is broader in the face.
Jack was a young giant, broad of back, full of vigour.
- broad daylight
大白天; 光天化日 the full light of day
The thief broke into the house in broad daylight. 窃贼竟在大白天闯入屋里行窃。
We expect to see bats in the evening, not in the broad daylight. 我们盼望在晚上见到蝙蝠,而不是在白天。
He opened his eyes and found it was broad daylight. 他睁开眼发现天已经亮了。
The robbery occurred in broad daylight in a crowded street. 在拥挤的街道上,光天化日之下竟发生了抢劫。
They robbed the bank in broad daylight. 他们光天化日之下抢劫银行。
- 大白天; 光天化日 the full light of day
- broad in the beam
(人)腰肥臀大 (of a person) rather fat round the hips
She is getting very broad in the beam; she must try to lose some weight. 她现在变的腰肥臀大了,必须设法减轻体重。
- (人)腰肥臀大 (of a person) rather fat round the hips
- It's as broad as it's long
横竖都一样; 不分高低 do not matter which of two things or courses of action one chooses, because neither is clearly better than the other
It's cheaper by bus, but the train is a lot quicker, so it's as broad as it's long. 乘公共汽车便宜,但坐火车快得多,所以各有优点。
It is as broad as it is long whether we go by train or by bus. 我们坐电车去还是坐公共汽车去都一样。
It's as broad as it's long whether we go today or tomorrow. 我们今天去还是明天去,毫无区别。
- 横竖都一样; 不分高低 do not matter which of two things or courses of action one chooses, because neither is clearly better than the other
- broad difference 明显的差异
- broad distinction 大概的区别
- broad fact 明显的事实
- broad gauge 宽轨
- broad generalization 概括
- broad highway 宽阔的马路
- broad hint 明显的暗示
- broad jump 跳远
- broad lands 广阔的陆地
- broad leaf 阔叶
- broad man 心襟开阔的人
- broad masses 广大群众
- broad mind 宽宏大量
- broad nonsense 一派胡言
- broad ocean 辽阔的海洋
- broad opinions 宽大为怀的意见
- broad outline 提要
- broad outlook 开阔的眼界
- broad prairies 辽阔的草原
- broad sense 广义
- broad shoulder 宽肩膀
- broad smile 开朗的笑容
- broad sword 大刀
- broad views 广泛的意见
A Leaf no broader than a Three-pence.出自：Evelyn
A bed..so broad that it could have easily held several guests.出自：C. Day
Shoulders too broad for feminine grace.出自：D. Murphy
Being in bed, but broad awake.出自：J. Wesley
- broad还可用作副词,与broadly的差别是:broad主要用来修饰形容词awake,而broadly则作“一般地”“广泛地”解,可以广泛使用。例如:I was broad awake last night.昨夜我通宵没有合眼。Broadly speaking, we live at a time when the magnificent plan of the four modernizations is being carried out successfully.总的说来,我们正生活在四个现代化的宏伟规划正在胜利完成的时代。
- broad, wide
这两个形容词的共同意思是“宽阔,广阔”。其区别是：1.用于具体意义表示“宽”时,没有绝对区别,可以相互代替,但broad侧重于面积的广阔,尤指比一般的面积广大; wide强调从一边到另一边的距离远。如:broad street和wide street都指“宽阔的街”,但broad street强调街面的宽大(车辆可以自由往来); wide street强调街两边的距离远(穿行不便)。又如:broad river强调河面的广阔(水天一色); wide river强调两岸的距离远(渡河时费力)。2.表示人的肩背和胸宽时,都只能用broad,不可用wide; 而表示人的眼和嘴大时可用wide,不可用broad。例如:
- ［误］ He has wide shoulders.
- ［正］ He has broad shoulders.
- broad discussion 畅所欲言的自由讨论
- wide discussion 项目繁多的广泛讨论
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的rabd，意为宽阔的，平的。
- broad:broad adj. 宽的, 阔的, 广泛的, 明朗的, 露骨的, 显著的, 主要的adv. 宽阔地n. 宽阔部分习惯用语It's as broad as it is long. 半斤八两; 彼此相同…