- [U]尊重,敬重 great respect, often publicly expressed
- [U]名誉,信用,荣誉 high standards of character or reputation
- [S]被引以为荣的人物 a person who brings respect
- [S]荣幸 a kind act that is not forced
- vt. 尊敬 respect greatly; give honour
- vt. 承兑,执行 keep an agreement often by making a payment
the state of being honored
a tangible symbol signifying approval or distinction;
"an award for bravery"
the quality of being honorable and having a good name;
"a man of honor"
a woman's virtue or chastity
bestow honor or rewards upon;
"Today we honor our soldiers"
"The scout was rewarded for courageous action"
show respect towards;
"honor your parents!"
accept as pay;
"we honor checks and drafts"
- He has the best claim to the honour.
- His action profaned the honour of his country.
- I also have the desire to take the light-welterweight title, and it's a big honour to be in another fight which the fans want to see.
- You do us a great honour by attending.
- We esteem it an honour to be invited.
- Children should honour their father and mother.
- Nevertheless, my name will be remembered, and men will honour me.
- You must honour him who will honour you.
- We demand that they honour this agreement .
- The strong powers must honour their commitments to smaller nations.
- The bank will not always honour your debts.
- Fifty heads of state attended the Queen's coronation to do her honour.
- They remove their hats to honour the flag.
- He said that he did not steal the book and that his personal honour had been attacked.
- One must show honour to one's parents.
- He declined the honour that was offered him.
- The visiting president was received with full honours.
- It's your honour, partner.
- He received many honours from many cities, colleges, and societies.
- He is an honour to his country.
- It has been a great honour your coming to visit me.
- It's an honour to meet you.
- May I have the honour to do so?
- I am ignorant whom I have the honour to address.
- We are bound in honour to help the flood victims.
- They said they would fight to save the honour of their country.
- The commercial honour of the firm is beyond suspicion.
- We request the honour of your company at dinner.
- I am indebted for the honour of your assistance.
- He had the honour of being a delegate to that international conference.
- They feel deeply the honour of belonging to the Senate.
- He honours the scientist.
- If you honour somebody, you respect his good fame and look up to him.
- We demand that they honour this contract.
- They honoured his signature.
- The bank has refused to honour his cheque.
- He has not enough money to honour his cheques.
- We had honoured Mr. Stevens as our President.
- We honour him as a genius.
- She was honoured as a community leader.
- He is honoured as a model worker.
- debt of honour
信用借款 debt that has no legal obligation
- do the honours
尽地主之谊; 招待宾客 act as host
- honours are even
力量均等 each side has achieved equal success
- honour bound
在道义上有责任 having a moral obligation
- in honour of
为了向…表示敬意; 为纪念… as a sign of esteem
- point of honour
名誉攸关的问题 matter of principle
- there's no honour among thieves
盗亦无道,浪子无义 dishonest people cannot trust each other
- win honour for
因…赢得了荣誉 gain the fame for sth
- honour by (v.+prep.)
通过…遵守 keep an agreement often by
- honour with (v.+prep.)
授予(某人)以… reward sb with sth
honour sb with sth
The government honoured him with a medal.
The king honoured him with a knighthood.
Today the Queen honoured us with her presence.
I hope to be honoured with further orders.
In my office only I was honoured with an invitation.
The moon astronauts were honoured with titles for their great merits by the nation.
- I〔We〕 am〔are〕 honoured to-v/that-clause
为…感到荣幸 feel great honour for sth or doing sth
I〔We〕 am〔are〕 honoured to-v
I feel honoured to join in this work.
I feel honoured to serve you.
I feel very honoured to have been asked to address this meeting.
I am honoured to be asked to speak.
我应邀发言,不胜荣幸。I〔We〕 am〔are〕 honoured that-clause
We're deeply honoured that you should agree to join us.
We are most honoured that you have taken time to meet with us.
- achieve honour 获得荣誉
- add honour to 为…增添荣誉
- attain honour 获得荣誉
- award an honour to sb 授予某人荣誉
- bestow on sb an honour 授予某人荣誉
- bring honour 带来荣誉
- confer an honour upon sb 授予某人荣誉
- deem an honour 感到荣幸
- do honour to 向…表示敬意,给…带来荣誉
- do the honours 尽主人之谊
- esteem an honour 感到荣幸
- feel honour 感到荣幸
- gain honour 获得荣誉
- give honour to sb 向某人致敬
- give a reception honour 举行招待会
- give sb the honour 给予某人荣誉
- give sb the honour of 给予某人…的荣誉
- grudge sb's honours 嫉妒某人的荣誉
- guard the honour 维护荣誉
- have the honour to inform 荣幸地通知
- hold a reception honour 举行招待会
- leave honours to 把荣誉归于…
- lose one's honour 失去荣誉,丢面子
- make one's honours to sb 向某人致敬
- pay honour to 向…表示敬意
- play honour to sb 向某人致敬
- pledge one's honour 用自己的名誉担保
- put sb on his honour 使某人保证
- request the honour of sb's presence〔attendance〕 敬请某人光临
- save one's honour 保全体面,保全名誉
- sell one's honour 出卖荣誉,不顾面子
- show honour to sb 向某人表示敬意
- stake one's honour on sth 把自己的名誉押在某事上
- tarnish one's honours 玷污名誉
- win honour 获得荣誉,赢得荣誉
- win honour for 为…争光
- win honour for one's motherland 为祖国争光
- win honour in battles 屡建战功
- win sb the honour 为某人争荣誉
- win sb the honour of 为某人争得…的荣誉
- academic honour 学术上的荣誉
- commercial honour 商业道德
- deserved honour 受之无愧的荣誉
- dubious honour 可疑的荣誉
- empty honour 空名,徒有虚名
- funeral honour 葬礼
- great honour 极大的荣誉,殊荣
- high honour 崇高的荣誉,殊荣
- military honour 战功,战绩
- personal honour 个人名誉
- professional honour 职业道德,职业信誉
- signal honour 巨大的荣誉
- special honour 特殊信誉〔荣誉〕
- the last honours 葬礼
- business honour 商业道德〔信誉〕
- honour roll 光荣榜
- regard it as an honour 引以为荣
- for the honour of 为了…的信用,(为)照顾
- hold sb in honour 尊敬某人
- in honour of 为纪念,为庆祝,向…表示敬意
- in honour on 为纪念,为庆祝,向…表示敬意
- a guard of honour 仪仗队
- a sense of honour 荣誉感
- affair of honour 决斗
- an affair of honour 有关声誉之事
- debt of honour 信用欠款,赌债
- on〔upon〕 one's honour 以名誉担保
- graduate with honours 以优异成绩毕业
- receive sb with honour 款待某人
- honour a bill 承认并如期支付账单
- honour one's cheque 承兑支票
- honour one's father and mother 尊敬父母
- honour one's signature 承认某人的签名
- honour the advanced worker 尊敬先进工作者
- honour the agreement 根据协议
- honour the community leader 尊敬社团领导人
- honour the contract 重合同
- honour the draft 承兑汇票
- honour the flag 向国旗致敬
- honour the old man 尊敬老人
- honour the president 尊敬主席
- honour Professor Gao 向高教授表示敬意
- honour the Queen 向女王表示敬意
- honour the teachers 尊敬师长
- honour the visitors 尊敬访问者
- honour the woman 尊敬妇女
- honour deeply 深深地感到荣幸
- honour dramatically 出人意料地荣幸
- honour exceedingly 不胜荣幸
- honour genuinely 真正地荣幸
- honour greatly 非常荣幸
- honour groundlessly 毫无根据地荣幸
- honour heartily 由衷地感到荣幸
- honour highly 甚感荣幸
- honour inconceivably 难以置信地荣幸
- honour inexpressibly 无法形容地荣幸
- honour intensely 极度地荣幸
- honour keenly 深表荣幸
- honour memorably 值得回忆地荣幸
- honour particularly 尤其荣幸
- honour spontaneously 自然感觉地荣幸
- honour unexpectedly 意外地荣幸
Your majesty does my house more honour than I fear my household can bear.出自： R. Bolt
Family honour could be rebuilt: father's debts could be paid off.出自： M. Ignatieff
Till I have honoured you with some graver labour.出自：Venus Adonis , Shakespeare
- honour作“荣誉; 光荣”解也可作可数名词,可指人,也可指事。
- honour是英国的拼法,美国的拼法是honor。它的基本意思是“尊敬”,多指公开对对方的人格、地位、行为或能力表示敬意、尊重,引申可表示“使增光”“给…以荣誉”“给…授勋(或颁奖等)”“执行(协议、合同等)”等; 用在商业上则指“承兑”,指承认并如期支付支票或其他的票据等。
- I〔We〕 am〔are〕 honoured在客套语中,多用来表示说话人对某件事的态度,其后可接动词不定式或从句。
- in one's honour, on one's honour
- 两者意思并不相同:in one's honour的意思是“为了祝贺某人”,而on one's honour的意思则是“以人格担保”。例如:
- The Chinese residents of San Francisco gave a party in our honour.旧金山的华侨为我们举行了欢迎宴会。
- He was on his honour not to tell the secret.他以名誉担保不把这个秘密告诉别人。
- honour, award, prize
- 1.award指对于优异成绩或卓越贡献经评定后正式授予的奖励; prize指确认某人在竞赛中所获得的优异成绩并给予特殊的奖励,也含有优胜者几经拼搏、胜利来之不易的意思; honour可指正式授予的精神奖励,也可指个人在公开场合下对某人所表达的高度评价与尊敬。例如:
- The new library has won an architectural award.新图书馆赢得了建筑奖。
- He finished only a yard behind the winner of the race but he had to be content with the second prize.比赛到达终点时,他虽仅以一码之差输给了第一名,但获得了二等奖他也应心满意足了。
- She brought honour to her family.她给家庭带来了荣誉。
- 2.award, prize既可指精神上的奖励,也可指物质上的奖励; honour只指精神奖励。例如:
- The Golden Rooster Award is given out once a year.每年授予一次金鸡奖。
- Her book gained several literary prizes.她写的书获得好几种文学奖。
- Such a man is honour to his country.这种人是国家的光荣。
- honour, fame, reputation
- 1.reputation强调在人们心目中的印象,即公众评价,一般译为“名誉”; fame强调本身品质的高尚、能力高超、业绩非凡,一般译为“(较高的)知名度”; honour强调因本身的忠心、诚实和优良品质而获得的好名声、荣誉。例如:
- His fame spread all over the country.他名扬全国。
- Edison is a man of world-wide reputation.爱迪生是一个举世闻名的人。
- He has received many honours for his research into cancer.他因在癌症方面的研究工作而得到了许多荣誉。
- 2.fame用于人; reputation和honour可用于人,也可用于事物。例如:
- She didn't pursue fame.她不追求名声。
- This store has an excellent reputation for fair dealing.这家商店因买卖公道而享有极高的声誉。
- 3.fame和reputation可用于好名声,也可用于坏名声; honour一般只用于好的“荣誉”。例如:
- She is a woman of ill fame.她是个名声不好的女人。
- A few years after his graduation from a university the man acquired the reputation of being a philosopher.这个人从大学毕业后不久就获得了哲学家的名声。
- The winning of the Nobel Prize is one of the highest honours an author can achieve.获得诺贝尔奖金是一个作家能够获得的最高荣誉之一。
- honour, deference, homage, reverence
- 这组词的共同意思是“敬意”。其区别在于:honour指承认对方的人格、地位、行为或能力,从而表示敬意; deference指对长辈或应予以尊敬的人表示敬意和礼貌,并尊重其意愿与要求; homage除具有honour之意外,还表示更大的赞许和敬意; reverence指深刻的尊敬与爱心。
- honour, adore, esteem, regard, respect
- 这几个词都有“尊敬,尊重”的意思。其区别在于:respect指对人的意见,行为,品德及才华等的尊重; esteem和regard比respect庄重,程度也更进一步,指十分尊重,并含有爱戴的意思; honour指公开表示尊重; adore在口语中还有非常喜欢的意思,作“敬爱,崇拜,爱慕”解。例如:
- He was such a selfless man; everybody respected him. 他是这样一个大公无私的人,人人都尊敬他。
- The old teacher was much loved and esteemed.这位老教师很受大家的爱戴。
- I have always regarded him highly.我一直很尊重他。
- He adores a famous scientist.他崇拜一位著名的科学家。
- Flowers are placed before his grave to honour his memory.人们在他墓前放上鲜花以表示对他的敬意。
- ☆ 1200年左右进入英语，直接源自古法语的honor；最初源自拉丁语的honor，意为荣誉，敬意，光荣。
- trust v.