- vt. ＆ vi. 给予,赠送,授予 cause a person to have, receive; hand over to sb without payment or exchange
- vt. 供给,提供 provide or supply
- vt. 交给,托付 cause sb to have; ask sb to look after
- vt. 作出(某一动作),发出(声音等) perform or carry out (an action)
- vt. 举办,表演 cause (a performance, amusement , or public event) to take place
- vt. 付出,出售 pay in order to buy
- vt. 产生,引起 produce
- vi. (物体)塌下,折断 bend or stretch under pressure
- vi. 让步 give up
the elasticity of something that can be stretched and returns to its original length
cause to have, in the abstract sense or physical sense;
"She gave him a black eye"
"The draft gave me a cold"
be the cause or source of;
"He gave me a lot of trouble"
"Our meeting afforded much interesting information"
transfer possession of something concrete or abstract to somebody;
"I gave her my money"
"can you give me lessons?"
"She gave the children lots of love and tender loving care"
convey or reveal information;
"Give one's name"
convey, as of a compliment, regards, attention, etc.; bestow;
"Don't pay him any mind"
"give the orders"
"Give him my best regards"
organize or be responsible for;
"hold a reception"
"have, throw, or make a party"
"give a course"
convey or communicate; of a smile, a look, a physical gesture;
"Throw a glance"
"She gave me a dirty look"
give as a present; make a gift of;
"What will you give her for her birthday?"
cause to happen or be responsible for;
"His two singles gave the team the victory"
"give thought to"
"give priority to"
"pay attention to"
give or supply;
"The cow brings in 5 liters of milk"
"This year's crop yielded 1,000 bushels of corn"
"The estate renders some revenue for the family"
transmit (knowledge or skills);
"give a secret to the Russians"
"leave your name and address here"
"impart a new skill to the students"
"The trompe l'oeil-illusion establishes depth"
leave with; give temporarily;
"Can I give you my keys while I go in the pool?"
"Can I give you the children for the weekend?"
emit or utter;
"Give a gulp"
"give a yelp"
endure the loss of;
"He gave his life for his children"
"I gave two sons to the war"
place into the hands or custody of;
"hand me the spoon, please"
"Turn the files over to me, please"
"He turned over the prisoner to his lawyers"
give entirely to a specific person, activity, or cause;
"She committed herself to the work of God"
"give one's talents to a good cause"
"consecrate your life to the church"
give (as medicine);
"I gave him the drug"
give or convey physically;
"She gave him First Aid"
"I gave him a punch in the nose"
bestow, especially officially;
"grant a degree"
"give a divorce"
"This bill grants us new rights"
move in order to make room for someone for something;
"The park gave way to a supermarket"
"`Move over,' he told the crowd"
give food to;
"Feed the starving children in India"
"don't give the child this tough meat"
contribute to some cause;
"I gave at the office"
break down, literally or metaphorically;
"The wall collapsed"
"The business collapsed"
"The dam broke"
"The roof collapsed"
"The wall gave in"
"The roof finally gave under the weight of the ice"
estimate the duration or outcome of something;
"He gave the patient three months to live"
"I gave him a very good chance at success"
execute and deliver;
deliver in exchange or recompense;
"I'll give you three books for four CDs"
afford access to;
"the door opens to the patio"
"The French doors give onto a terrace"
present to view;
"He gave the sign to start"
perform for an audience;
"Pollini is giving another concert in New York"
be flexible under stress of physical force;
"This material doesn't give"
"He gave the first of many toasts at the birthday party"
accord by verdict;
"give a decision for the plaintiff"
manifest or show;
"This student gives promise of real creativity"
"The office gave evidence of tampering"
offer in good faith;
"He gave her his word"
submit for consideration, judgment, or use;
"give one's opinion"
"give an excuse"
guide or direct, as by behavior of persuasion;
"You gave me to think that you agreed with me"
allow to have or take;
"I give you two minutes to respond"
inflict as a punishment;
"She gave the boy a good spanking"
"The judge gave me 10 years"
consent to engage in sexual intercourse with a man;
"She gave herself to many men"
proffer (a body part);
"She gave her hand to her little sister"
- Would you please give me a piece of paper?
- He give me a box in which to keep the toy.
- He gives generously to the poor.
- I'm giving all my friends books for Christmas.
- He gave a bunch of flowers to his girlfriend.
- He is willing to stand in and give ten yuan to the funds.
- Can you give me any information on this matter?
- The sun gives us warmth and light.
- The bass was to give a concert in the park.
- I'm giving a dinner party next Friday evening; would you like to come?
- The branch began to give under his weight.
- This rope has too much give in it.
- There is no give in a stone floor.
- It's more blessed to give than to receive.
- He gives freely to the poor.
- Most people give to some charity at Christmas.
- He gives generously.
- This chair gives comfortably.
- The branch began to give under his weight.
- The hook suddenly gave and a hundred and fifty empty bottles tumbled onto the floor.
- The leather will give when you have been wearing the shoes a few weeks.
- This surface will give if you sit on it.
- This army never gives.
- He wasn't the cleverest member of the committee, but he always gave of his best—a hard worker with sincere intentions.
- The door will give under the slightest pressure.
- She gave a correct answer.
- Cows give milk.
- This mine gives coal.
- Land gives crops.
- The most careful research on these lines has given no result.
- This book gives few details.
- The letter gave surprising news.
- In the book he gave a profound analysis of the political struggle inside the party.
- Many people have given their lives in the cause of truth.
- She gave a long sigh.
- She gave a glance at the portrait of her mother.
- She gave a sudden shout of surprise.
- The lamp gave a very bad light.
- He gave fifty pounds for the painting.
- My clock gives the right time.
- He gives lessons in music.
- A foreign guest is giving a lecture in English this afternoon.
- They gave their lives for their country.
- The following evening a party was given for him by his parents.
- I would give the world to have my health restored.
- She gave the whole afternoon to babysitting.
- He would have given anything to be friends with Rose.
- I would give anything to know what happened.
- I gave him a watch on his birthday.
- He gave me a handsome present.
- They gave him the first prize.
- I should like to give him a chance.
- The teachers will give him extra help.
- I can give you anything but that.
- Animals give us meat, milk, wool and leather.
- The sun gives the earth light and warmth.
- Give me five minutes and I'll come up with a solution to the problem.
- You should give him another ten minutes, or he will not finish his work.
- My leg gives me much pain.
- He forgot to give the date.
- The judge gave the thief two years' imprisonment.
- You've given me your cold.
- My daughter gives me much pleasure.
- The news gave us great joy.
- When I first met him, he gave me the impression of being proud.
- I hope my son will not give you much trouble.
- He gave the garden a good watering.
- Just before the frost, we gave the land a good watering.
- The farmhands gave the landlord a sound beating.
- She gave him a pound for his help.
- I was given a book.
- Children in large families are often given responsibilities when they are very young.
- Please give my regards to your mother.
- Give your whole mind to the question.
- Give an eye to the fire while I'm out, won't you?
- One boy can give measles to a whole school.
- She gives all her time to her family.
- These tickets were given to us free of charge.
- They gave the number as 72.
- He gave it as his opinion that all men are alike.
- They gave me to make up my mind in a week.
- They gave me to understand they would wait for me, but they left without me.
- I'll give him to understand that ordinary links must be subordinated to the key points, and the parts to the whole.
- He gave me to understand that this work was done by him.
- They were also given the opportunity to do some operations.
- I was given to understand that he was ill.
- The work must be done with the given time.
- Do the exercises given below.
- Given health, the thing can be done.
- Given a few more months, the whole situation will become still better.
- Given the same treatment again, he is sure to get well.
- Given the opportunity she might well have become an outstanding artist.
- Given determination and perseverance, it can be realized step by step.
- Given normal weather, they will raise the output by another ten percent.
- give and take
互让,互相迁就; 平等交换 make mutual concessions; exchange on an even basis
- give away (v.+adv.)
(在婚礼仪式中)将新娘交给新郎 in a marriage ceremony, present the bride ritually to the bridegroom
give sth ⇔ away
She decided to give these old clothes away .
We have invited a famous former student to give away the prizes.
He only gave away a small part of his fortune.
他只捐赠了小部分家产。give sth ⇔ away to sb/sth
He gave away most of his fortune to the poor.
He gave away a lot of clothes to the people of the flooded area.
They gave away a large sum of money to the people of a poverty-stricken area.
他们向贫困地区人民捐赠了一大笔钱。give sb/sth ⇔ away
He didn't want to give his comrades away.
Don't give away the ending of the story.
He was arrested for having given away state secrets.
He was given away by one of his accomplices.
他被一个同伙出卖了。give sth ⇔ away
You've given away a good chance of success.
你失去了一次获取成功的良机。give sb ⇔ away
Mr. Jackson gave away his daughter.
- give back (v.+adv.)
后退 stand back
give sb/sth ⇔ back
It isn't mine; I must give it back to the owner.
I hope that the holiday will give back my good spirits.
Living here has given me back my health.
He asked for, but never was given back, his Olympic Prizes.
Give back there, the express is due.
The soldier around the door gave back to let the general through.
- give forth (v.+adv.)
发出,发表 send forth; emit; issue
give forth sth
On summer evenings the flowers gave forth an almost intoxicating scent.
She gave forth the same view at the meeting.
- give in (v.+adv.)
交; 上交; 递交; 呈送 give sth to a person who is authorized to receive it; hand in
He will soon give in because he cannot win the game.
One shouldn't give in while he or she stands and sees.
The demonstrators were compelled to give in to the police.
As neither management nor labor would give in, the union organized a strike.
The argument went on for hours as neither side would give in.
因为双方都不肯让步,争论持续了几个小时。give sth ⇔ in
All papers should be given in before 12 o'clock.12
- give it to (v.+pron.+prep.)
惩罚; 揍; 责备 punish; beat or scold
give it to sb
I gave it to him hot.
I'll give it to you when I catch you.
Ann's mother gave it to her for being late.
- give off (v.+adv.)
发出; 放出; 散发出; 放射出 send out, or emit (especially a liquid, gas, or smell)
When nitric acid is poured on copper, a brown vapour gives off.
将硝酸倒在铜上,会散发出一种棕色的蒸气。give sth ⇔ off
The liquid gave off a strong smell.
The market was full of salted fish, giving off the worst smell.
The chimney gives off a lot of harmful gases.
The fire that broke out in the plant during the night was still seen giving off a lot of smoke the next morning.
- give or take
或多或少; 左右 more or less; plus or minus
- give out (v.+adv.)
停止起作用 cause to stop function; fail
give sth ⇔ out
The English teacher gave out the examination papers at 7:50.
A young woman standing at the door gave out leaflets to all those who entered the hall.
Over a thousand copies of the pamphlet have now been given out.
现在已分发了一千多本小册子。give sth ⇔ out
The minister gave out the wrong number of the rooms.
The news of the event was given out over the radio.
关于这个事件的消息通过广播发表了。give out that-clause
The announcer gave out that the 3:30 train to Manchester would start from Platform 4.
It was given out that the strikers had decided to return to work, and place their dispute in the hands of their union.
He plans to stay there until his money gives out.
When we were only a few miles from our destination the petrol gave out.
It was feared that food supplies would give out before the besieged town could be relieved.
We had hardly started from home when the engine gave out.
Ever since I sprained my ankle I have been unable to walk very far, as I never know when it will give out.
- give over (v.+adv.)
交付; 交出 hand over
I hope the rain will soon give over.
我希望雨不久就能停。give sth ⇔ over
It's about time you gave over that kind of conduct.
你该停止做那种事了。give over v-ing
I have given over trying to convince him.
我已经不再试图说服他了。give sth/sb ⇔ over to sb
He gave over charge of his office to his successor today.
We gave him over to the police.
- give up (v.+adv.)
泄露 reveal or disclose
I can't answer that puzzle; I give up.
I give up, tell me the end of the story.
我猜不出,把结局告诉我吧。give sth ⇔ up
He has given up the idea.
She gave up her job to look after her sick mother.
It was puzzling that when presented with a chance to study in Paris for a year,Jane should have given it up.
Bad habits are not easily given up.
恶习难改。give up v-ing
Have you given up drinking whisky before breakfast?
I advised him to give up smoking altogether.
我劝他把烟彻底戒掉。give sb/oneself/sth ⇔ up
We had to give up the castle to the enemy.
If you catch the escaped prisoner, will you give him up to the police?
After hiding in the woods for weeks, the criminal gave himself up.
该罪犯在森林里躲了几个星期以后自首了。give sb ⇔ up
His pulse was so weak that the doctor gave him up as dead.
When Mary didn't come by nine o'clock, we gave her up.
I had already given John up, when suddenly he walked in.
我以为约翰不会来了,他却突然走了进来。give sth ⇔ up
The criminal has given up the names of his accomplices.
- give a cough 咳嗽一声
- give a cry 叫喊一声
- give a dinner 设宴
- give a garden party 开游园会
- give a good account of oneself 表现优异〔英勇〕
- give a jump 跳了一下
- give a kick 踢一脚
- give a lecture 开演讲会
- give a look 看一看
- give a loud laugh 大笑一声
- give a play 上演一剧
- give a ring 打了一个电话
- give a shout 叫一声
- give a start 大吃一惊
- give a try 试一试
- give cause 给予…理由
- give chase 追赶
- give thanks 作感恩祈祷
- give the gun 加速
- give voice 引吭高歌
- give way 退后,失效,屈服,为…所代替
- give sb a hand 援助; 赞许
- give sb a piece of one's mind 责难,责骂
- give sb the cold shoulder 待人冷淡
- give sb the gate 解雇,放弃
- give sb the slip 溜走
- give the city a new look 使这个城市面目一新
- give abundantly 丰富地供给
- give charitably 宽厚地供给
- give conscientiously 诚心诚意地提供
- give discreetly 谨慎地提供
- give exclusively 孤傲地表演
- give freely 慷慨捐助
- give generously 慷慨解囊
- give grudgingly 吝惜地提供
- give intentionally 故意地提供
- give magnificently 宏伟地表演
- give willingly 乐意给予
- give around 让步
- give away 放弃,泄露,分配,贡献
- give away a secret 泄露秘密
- give a friend away 出卖朋友
- give away one's comrades 出卖同志
- give oneself away 暴露自己,露马脚
- give away to sb 向某人让步
- give back 归还,恢复,反射,报复
- give sb back an angry look 回瞪某人一眼
- give sb back his health 使某人恢复健康
- give sth back to sb 把某物归还给某人
- give in 屈服,交上,被…所取代,瓦解,失态,(驾车时)礼让
- give in to sb 对某人让步,迁就某人
- give off (释)放出,发出(气味等)
- give off heat 发热
- give off light 发光
- give off smoke 冒出烟
- give out 布置,分发(书,文件等),用尽,发表,发布(新闻),发出(光,热等),交出(票)
- give out a sweet smell 吐出芬芳
- give out assignment 布置作业
- give out the examination papers 分发试卷
- give out the news 宣布消息
- give over 放弃,递交,致力于,把精力花在…上
- give over a mode of life 放弃一种生活方式
- give over a package to sb's keeping 把包裹交某人保管
- give oneself over to drinking 纵酒
- give up 中止,屈服,引渡,放出
- give oneself up to 投降,自首,专心致志(于)
- give oneself up to the police 向警察局投案自首
- give up a secret 泄露秘密
- give up all hope 放弃一切希望
- give up halfway 半途而废
- give up job 辞去工作
- give up life 献出生命
- give up one's arms 缴械
- give up school 辍学
- give up seat to sb 把座位让给某人
- give up smoking 戒烟
- give sb sth as a present 给某人某物作为礼物
- give cause for 是…的原因,引起
- give money for sth 花钱买某物
- give one's life for the country 为国捐躯
- give one's answers in English 用英语回答
- give one's daughter in marriage 嫁女儿
- give into 通向(大街等)
- give of one's best 尽自己最大的努力
- give on to the street (窗)正对着大街
- give onto 朝向,面对,开向,通向
- give to 给予,赠给,交付,委托
- give colour to 使…生色
- give oneself to 专心致力于,沾染上
- give place to 让位于
- give tongue to one's doubts about 说出对…有怀疑
- give way to 让位于,对…让步,给…让路,向…妥协
- give wide berth to 避免
If the weather stays fine we should have a fair surface with some give in it.出自：Times
It was a one-way thing, this concern for one's children; all give and no take.出自： P. Angadi
He's terribly conservative in things that matter. He has absolutely no give about them at all.出自：New Yorker
The little brown pennies he gave sparingly for alms.出自： J. Steinbeck
- give是常用动词,词义丰富,用法复杂,构词能力强; 其基本的词义是“给”。give作及物动词时可接名词或代词作宾语,也可接双宾语,其间接宾语有时可转换为介词to的宾语,还可接动词不定式或以“as+ n. ”充当补足语的复合宾语。
- give接双宾语时,间接宾语是人,双宾语的句型可以转变为跟to短语的句型,但当间接宾语是物时,则间接宾语在前,直接宾语在后的位置是固定的,不可以转换。give接双宾语时的被动结构可把间接宾语变为主语; 也可把直接宾语变为主语。但人们通常对人(或动物)比对物更感兴趣,所以用人作主语比较多。
- give的过去分词常用作定语,多前置,构成过去分词短语时则一般后置。过去分词短语作状语时表示完成或被动的意义,作“假定; 容许; 如果有…”解。
- 习语give it me主要用在英国, give it to me则多用在美国,是正式用法。
- give over, give up
- 二者都可作“放弃”解,都可以接名词或动名词。但give up的语气要比give over强烈得多。试比较:
- We have already given up all hope of the high-pitched song of “detente”.
- 我们对于“缓和”的高调早以不抱什么 希望了。(表达的决心坚定不移)
- Harry has given over his attempt this time but he may renew it at another time.
- 这一次哈里放弃尝试,说不定另一次他 可能又继续干起来。(表达的决心不那 么坚决)
- give one's hand, give one a hand
- give one's hand意为“结婚”, give one a hand意为“帮助”。试比较:
- Mary chose to give her hand to John.
- The youth gave me a hand when I was lifting my baggage.
- give up, abandon, desert, forsake, leave, quit
- He abandoned medicine for literature.他弃医从文。
- desert的宾语主要是职责或应尽的义务; forsake的宾语可以是某种宗教信仰或爱好等,也可以是某人曾经一度爱慕或依恋过的人或物。例如:
- She forsook her worldly possessions to devote herself to the church.她抛弃所有而献身教会。
- It's time you left off that childish habit of thought.你该放弃那种孩子似的思维习惯了。
- I would never abandon any friends.我永远不会遗弃我的朋友。
- desert强调背信弃义,违背允诺、誓言或逃避责任,为法律或道德所不容; forsake强调断绝感情上的依恋,含有并不违背法律和道德规范的意味; quit表示突然地、仓促地放弃; give up包含有abandon, quit或leave的意思。
- 3.在原因或动机上, abandon, leave, give up可以是主动的、自愿的,也可以是被迫的、勉强的; quit则是主动的、自愿的,例如:
- I'd had enough, so I quit.我受够了,所以我辞职不干了。
- give one's regards to, ask after, say hello to
- 这三个短语的意思是“问候”。其区别在于:ask after指向某人问起(另一人的)健康状况或福利、兴盛等情况,但所问候的人并不想知道详细情况,只表示一般的关心而已,例如：
- He asked after your health.他向你问候。
- say hello to与give one's regard to的意思和用法基本相同,后面都接被问候的对象,有时,这种问候是礼节性的说法,例如：
- Say hello to your parents for me, please.请代我问候你父母。
- Please give my kind regards to your brother.请代我向令兄问候。
- give, offer
- give所指的“给”,对方一般是接受; offer所指的“给”,对方可能接受,也可能拒绝。试比较:
- He gave me some tickets.
- He offered me some tickets, which I re- fused politely.
- give, send
- give一般指亲手给; 而send则指寄送或派人送。试比较:
- He gave me some pictures of Guilin.
- He sent me some pictures of Guilin.
- give, award, confer, grant, present
- When Mr. Brown left the firm, the director presented a gold watch to him.布朗先生离开这家公司时,董事长送给他一只金表。
- They have been granted permission to pull down the old theatre.他们已获准拆除这座旧戏院。
- She's been awarded a scholarship to study at Oxford University.她获得了去牛津大学念书的奖学金。
- An honorary degree was conferred on him by the university.这所大学授予他荣誉学位。
- give, afford
- I should like to give him a chance.
- It afforded me an opportunity.
- give, afford, provide, supply
- 1.afford指为一定的目的而“给”“提供”所需要的东西; give指无需偿还地把金钱、物品、时间、麻烦等有形或无形的东西“送给”“授予”“供给”某人; provide主要指为某人、某物或某事“提供”“供应”某物品,尤指生活必需品; supply指用物“供给”“供应”或“提供”给国家、群众、工厂、城市、市场等,以部队为对象时,往往只供给生活必需品,而不指武器。例如:
- Some trees afford resin. 有些树产树脂。
- I should like to give him a chance.我想给他一个机会。
- Now we supply power to nine-tenths of the city's homes.现在我们向这个城市十分之九的家庭提供电力。
- 2.afford后面可跟不定式或动名词,还常用在can, could, be able to后面表示“担负得起”某事物的费用、损失、后果等,以及“抽得出”时间、人力,其后可接双宾语,意思是“向某人提供某物”; provide后面可接for, with和against等介词; supply后可接介词to。例如:
- Our garden affords us fresh vegetables.我们的园子为我们提供新鲜蔬菜。
- More and more vegetables and fruit are supplied to the army.越来越多的蔬菜和水果供应部队。
- The programme aims to provide self-sufficiency for local needs.这项计划旨在使当地需要得以自足。
- You will be given a chance to do the work.
- A chance to do the work will be given you.
- A chance to do the work will be given to you.
- He gave twenty yuan for the dictionary.
- He gave the dictionary for twenty yuan .
误 He has given me the present for a month.
正 It is a month since he gave me the present.
误 He gave his life to serve the people.
正 He gave his life to serving the people.
析 表示“将毕生献给…”,可说give one's life to...,其中to是介词,不是动词不定式的符号,后面应该跟名词性短语。你把钱给谁了?
误 Who(m) did you give the money?
正 Who(m) did you give the money to?
正 To who(m) did you give the money?
析 当give的间接宾语为who(m)时,只能用give sth to sb 结构。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的giefan，意为给予，授予。