- vt. ＆ vi. 给予,赠送,授予 cause a person to have, receive; hand over to sb without payment or exchange
- vt. 供给,提供 provide or supply
- vt. 交给,托付 cause sb to have; ask sb to look after
- vt. 作出(某一动作),发出(声音等) perform or carry out (an action)
- vt. 举办,表演 cause (a performance, amusement , or public event) to take place
- vt. 付出,出售 pay in order to buy
- vt. 产生,引起 produce
- vi. (物体)塌下,折断 bend or stretch under pressure
- vi. 让步 give up
- the elasticity of something that can be stretched and returns to its original length
- cause to have, in the abstract sense or physical sense;
"She gave him a black eye"
"The draft gave me a cold"
- be the cause or source of;
"He gave me a lot of trouble"
"Our meeting afforded much interesting information"
- transfer possession of something concrete or abstract to somebody;
"I gave her my money"
"can you give me lessons?"
"She gave the children lots of love and tender loving care"
- convey or reveal information;
"Give one's name"
- convey, as of a compliment, regards, attention, etc.; bestow;
"Don't pay him any mind"
"give the orders"
"Give him my best regards"
- organize or be responsible for;
"hold a reception"
"have, throw, or make a party"
"give a course"
- convey or communicate; of a smile, a look, a physical gesture;
"Throw a glance"
"She gave me a dirty look"
- give as a present; make a gift of;
"What will you give her for her birthday?"
- cause to happen or be responsible for;
"His two singles gave the team the victory"
"give thought to"
"give priority to"
"pay attention to"
- give or supply;
"The cow brings in 5 liters of milk"
"This year's crop yielded 1,000 bushels of corn"
"The estate renders some revenue for the family"
- transmit (knowledge or skills);
"give a secret to the Russians"
"leave your name and address here"
"impart a new skill to the students"
- bring about;
"The trompe l'oeil-illusion establishes depth"
- leave with; give temporarily;
"Can I give you my keys while I go in the pool?"
"Can I give you the children for the weekend?"
- emit or utter;
"Give a gulp"
"give a yelp"
- endure the loss of;
"He gave his life for his children"
"I gave two sons to the war"
- place into the hands or custody of;
"hand me the spoon, please"
"Turn the files over to me, please"
"He turned over the prisoner to his lawyers"
- give entirely to a specific person, activity, or cause;
"She committed herself to the work of God"
"give one's talents to a good cause"
"consecrate your life to the church"
- give (as medicine);
"I gave him the drug"
- give or convey physically;
"She gave him First Aid"
"I gave him a punch in the nose"
- bestow, especially officially;
"grant a degree"
"give a divorce"
"This bill grants us new rights"
- move in order to make room for someone for something;
"The park gave way to a supermarket"
"`Move over,' he told the crowd"
- give food to;
"Feed the starving children in India"
"don't give the child this tough meat"
- contribute to some cause;
"I gave at the office"
- break down, literally or metaphorically;
"The wall collapsed"
"The business collapsed"
"The dam broke"
"The roof collapsed"
"The wall gave in"
"The roof finally gave under the weight of the ice"
- estimate the duration or outcome of something;
"He gave the patient three months to live"
"I gave him a very good chance at success"
- execute and deliver;
- deliver in exchange or recompense;
"I'll give you three books for four CDs"
- afford access to;
"the door opens to the patio"
"The French doors give onto a terrace"
- present to view;
"He gave the sign to start"
- perform for an audience;
"Pollini is giving another concert in New York"
- be flexible under stress of physical force;
"This material doesn't give"
"He gave the first of many toasts at the birthday party"
- accord by verdict;
"give a decision for the plaintiff"
- manifest or show;
"This student gives promise of real creativity"
"The office gave evidence of tampering"
- offer in good faith;
"He gave her his word"
- submit for consideration, judgment, or use;
"give one's opinion"
"give an excuse"
- guide or direct, as by behavior of persuasion;
"You gave me to think that you agreed with me"
- allow to have or take;
"I give you two minutes to respond"
- inflict as a punishment;
"She gave the boy a good spanking"
"The judge gave me 10 years"
- consent to engage in sexual intercourse with a man;
"She gave herself to many men"
- proffer (a body part);
"She gave her hand to her little sister"
- Would you please give me a piece of paper?
- He give me a box in which to keep the toy.
- He gives generously to the poor.
- I'm giving all my friends books for Christmas.
- He gave a bunch of flowers to his girlfriend.
- He is willing to stand in and give ten yuan to the funds.
- Can you give me any information on this matter?
- The sun gives us warmth and light.
- The bass was to give a concert in the park.
- I'm giving a dinner party next Friday evening; would you like to come?
- The branch began to give under his weight.
- There is no give in a stone floor.
It's more blessed to give than to receive.
He gives freely to the poor.
Most people give to some charity at Christmas.
He gives generously.
This chair gives comfortably.
The branch began to give under his weight.
The hook suddenly gave and a hundred and fifty empty bottles tumbled onto the floor.
The leather will give when you have been wearing the shoes a few weeks.
This surface will give if you sit on it.
This army never gives.
He wasn't the cleverest member of the committee, but he always gave of his best—a hard worker with sincere intentions.
The door will give under the slightest pressure.
She gave a correct answer.
Cows give milk.
This mine gives coal.
Land gives crops.
The most careful research on these lines has given no result.
This book gives few details.
The letter gave surprising news.
In the book he gave a profound analysis of the political struggle inside the party.
Many people have given their lives in the cause of truth.
She gave a long sigh.
She gave a glance at the portrait of her mother.
She gave a sudden shout of surprise.
The lamp gave a very bad light.
He gave fifty pounds for the painting.
My clock gives the right time.
He gives lessons in music.
A foreign guest is giving a lecture in English this afternoon.
They gave their lives for their country.
The following evening a party was given for him by his parents.
I would give the world to have my health restored.
She gave the whole afternoon to babysitting.
He would have given anything to be friends with Rose.
I would give anything to know what happened.
I gave him a watch on his birthday.
He gave me a handsome present.
They gave him the first prize.
I should like to give him a chance.
The teachers will give him extra help.
I can give you anything but that.
Animals give us meat, milk, wool and leather.
The sun gives the earth light and warmth.
Give me five minutes and I'll come up with a solution to the problem.
You should give him another ten minutes, or he will not finish his work.
My leg gives me much pain.
He forgot to give the date.
The judge gave the thief two years' imprisonment.
You've given me your cold.
My daughter gives me much pleasure.
The news gave us great joy.
When I first met him, he gave me the impression of being proud.
I hope my son will not give you much trouble.
He gave the garden a good watering.
Just before the frost, we gave the land a good watering.
The farmhands gave the landlord a sound beating.
She gave him a pound for his help.
I was given a book.
Children in large families are often given responsibilities when they are very young.
Please give my regards to your mother.
Give your whole mind to the question.
Give an eye to the fire while I'm out, won't you?
One boy can give measles to a whole school.
She gives all her time to her family.
These tickets were given to us free of charge.
They gave the number as 72.
He gave it as his opinion that all men are alike.
They gave me to make up my mind in a week.
They gave me to understand they would wait for me, but they left without me.
I'll give him to understand that ordinary links must be subordinated to the key points, and the parts to the whole.
He gave me to understand that this work was done by him.
They were also given the opportunity to do some operations.
I was given to understand that he was ill.
The work must be done with the given time.
Do the exercises given below.
Given health, the thing can be done.
Given a few more months, the whole situation will become still better.
Given the same treatment again, he is sure to get well.
Given the opportunity she might well have become an outstanding artist.
Given determination and perseverance, it can be realized step by step.
Given normal weather, they will raise the output by another ten percent.
- give and take
互让,互相迁就; 平等交换 make mutual concessions; exchange on an even basis
Faculty members will have to give and take in creating new courses and revising old ones. 开设新课程或修订旧课程时,教师们应该互相迁让。
- 互让,互相迁就; 平等交换 make mutual concessions; exchange on an even basis
- give away (v.+adv.)
送掉; 赠予; 颁发 give sth free of charge; give sb a present or prize of sth give sth ⇔ away
She decided to give these old clothes away .她决定把这些旧衣服送给别人。
We have invited a famous former student to give away the prizes.我们邀请了一位知名校友来颁发奖品。
He only gave away a small part of his fortune.他只捐赠了小部分家产。give sth ⇔ away to sb/sth
He gave away most of his fortune to the poor.他把他大部分财产都送给了穷人。
He gave away a lot of clothes to the people of the flooded area.他向水灾地区的人民捐了许多衣物。
They gave away a large sum of money to the people of a poverty-stricken area.他们向贫困地区人民捐赠了一大笔钱。
泄露; 告发 tell a secret; inform against sb give sb/sth ⇔ away
He didn't want to give his comrades away.他不愿背弃他的同志们。
Don't give away the ending of the story.别把故事结尾说出来。
He was arrested for having given away state secrets.他因泄漏国家机密而被捕。用于 be ～ed 结构
He was given away by one of his accomplices.他被一个同伙出卖了。
失去; 丧失; 抛弃 lose or waste sth carelessly give sth ⇔ away
You've given away a good chance of success.你失去了一次获取成功的良机。
(在婚礼仪式中)将新娘交给新郎 in a marriage ceremony, present the bride ritually to the bridegroom give sb ⇔ away
Mr. Jackson gave away his daughter.杰克逊先生将女儿交给新郎。
- 送掉; 赠予; 颁发 give sth free of charge; give sb a present or prize of sth give sth ⇔ away
- give back (v.+adv.)
归还; 恢复 return or repay sth to its owner; give sth again to sb give sb/sth ⇔ back
It isn't mine; I must give it back to the owner.这不是我的,我得把它归还原主。
I hope that the holiday will give back my good spirits.我希望假日能使我的心情好转。
Living here has given me back my health.在这里居住使我恢复了健康。用于 be ～ed 结构
He asked for, but never was given back, his Olympic Prizes.他要求发还给他奥林匹克奖牌,但最终也未能要回。
后退 stand back give back
Give back there, the express is due.往后退,快车就要进站了。
The soldier around the door gave back to let the general through.门前的士兵纷纷闪开让将军通过。
- 归还; 恢复 return or repay sth to its owner; give sth again to sb give sb/sth ⇔ back
- give forth (v.+adv.)
发出,发表 send forth; emit; issue give forth sth
On summer evenings the flowers gave forth an almost intoxicating scent.夏日的傍晚,鲜花散发出醉人的芳香。
She gave forth the same view at the meeting.她在会上发表了同样的观点。
- 发出,发表 send forth; emit; issue give forth sth
- give in (v.+adv.)
屈服; 投降; 让步 yield; surrender give in
He will soon give in because he cannot win the game.因为他赢不了这场比赛,所以他很快会认输的。
One shouldn't give in while he or she stands and sees.只要一息尚存,就不应投降。
The demonstrators were compelled to give in to the police.示威者被迫向警察投降。
As neither management nor labor would give in, the union organized a strike.由于劳资双方互不让步,工会组织了一次罢工。
The argument went on for hours as neither side would give in.因为双方都不肯让步,争论持续了几个小时。
交; 上交; 递交; 呈送 give sth to a person who is authorized to receive it; hand in give sth ⇔ in 用于 be ～ed 结构
All papers should be given in before 12 o'clock.12点以前必须交论文。
- 屈服; 投降; 让步 yield; surrender give in
- give it to (v.+pron.+prep.)
惩罚; 揍; 责备 punish; beat or scold give it to sb
I gave it to him hot.我痛骂他一顿。
I'll give it to you when I catch you.等我抓住你我会揍你。
Ann's mother gave it to her for being late.安的母亲责备她迟到了。
- 惩罚; 揍; 责备 punish; beat or scold give it to sb
- give off (v.+adv.)
发出; 放出; 散发出; 放射出 send out, or emit (especially a liquid, gas, or smell) give off
When nitric acid is poured on copper, a brown vapour gives off.将硝酸倒在铜上,会散发出一种棕色的蒸气。give sth ⇔ off
The liquid gave off a strong smell.这液体散发出一种强烈的气味。
The market was full of salted fish, giving off the worst smell.市场上到处是腌鱼,散发出最难闻的味道。
The chimney gives off a lot of harmful gases.烟囱放出大量的有害气体。
The fire that broke out in the plant during the night was still seen giving off a lot of smoke the next morning.那家工厂头天夜里着的火,第二天早晨还在冒烟。
- 发出; 放出; 散发出; 放射出 send out, or emit (especially a liquid, gas, or smell) give off
- give or take
或多或少; 左右 more or less; plus or minus
It will take an hour, give or take a few minutes. 需要一小时左右。
Three thousand people came, give or take a few hundred. 来了大约3000人。
- 或多或少; 左右 more or less; plus or minus
- give out (v.+adv.)
分发; 散发 distribute; hand out give sth ⇔ out
The English teacher gave out the examination papers at 7:50.英语教师七点五十分发考卷。
A young woman standing at the door gave out leaflets to all those who entered the hall.站在门旁的一个年轻的妇女向所有进入大厅的人散发传单。用于 be ～ed 结构
Over a thousand copies of the pamphlet have now been given out.现在已分发了一千多本小册子。
公布; 宣布 make known; announce give sth ⇔ out
The minister gave out the wrong number of the rooms.部长把房间的号码通知错了。用于 be ～ed 结构
The news of the event was given out over the radio.关于这个事件的消息通过广播发表了。give out that-clause
The announcer gave out that the 3:30 train to Manchester would start from Platform 4.播音员通知:三点三十分开往曼彻斯特的火车将从4号站台发车。用于 be ～ed 结构
It was given out that the strikers had decided to return to work, and place their dispute in the hands of their union.据宣布:罢工者已决定复工,并决定将其争端交予他们的工会。
耗尽; 用完 become exhausted; be used up; run out give out
He plans to stay there until his money gives out.他计划在那里呆到钱花完为止。
When we were only a few miles from our destination the petrol gave out.当我们离目的地只有几英里的路程时,汽油用完了。
It was feared that food supplies would give out before the besieged town could be relieved.人们担心食品储备在被围的城镇解围以前就会耗尽。
停止起作用 cause to stop function; fail give out
We had hardly started from home when the engine gave out.我们刚刚离开家,发动机就失灵了。
Ever since I sprained my ankle I have been unable to walk very far, as I never know when it will give out.我自从扭伤了足踝,就走不了很远,真不知道它什么时候便会动弹不得。
- 分发; 散发 distribute; hand out give sth ⇔ out
- give over (v.+adv.)
停止; 中止; 放弃 stop; abandon give over
I hope the rain will soon give over.我希望雨不久就能停。give sth ⇔ over
It's about time you gave over that kind of conduct.你该停止做那种事了。give over v-ing
I have given over trying to convince him.我已经不再试图说服他了。
交付; 交出 hand over give sth/sb ⇔ over to sb
He gave over charge of his office to his successor today.他今天向继任者交接了工作。
We gave him over to the police.我们把他交给了警察。
- 停止; 中止; 放弃 stop; abandon give over
- give up (v.+adv.)
放弃; 认输; 猜不出 stop doing or having sth; stop trying to guess a joke or mystery give up
I can't answer that puzzle; I give up.我猜不出这个谜语,我认输了。
I give up, tell me the end of the story.我猜不出,把结局告诉我吧。give sth ⇔ up
He has given up the idea.他已经放弃了这个念头。
She gave up her job to look after her sick mother.她放弃了工作以照顾她生病的母亲。
It was puzzling that when presented with a chance to study in Paris for a year,Jane should have given it up.当简得到去巴黎学习一年的良机时,她竟然放弃了,这事真让人费解。用于 be ～ed 结构
Bad habits are not easily given up.恶习难改。give up v-ing
Have you given up drinking whisky before breakfast?你在早餐以前已不喝威士忌酒了吗?
I advised him to give up smoking altogether.我劝他把烟彻底戒掉。
交出; 自首 yield sth/sb to sb give sb/oneself/sth ⇔ up
We had to give up the castle to the enemy.我们只得把城堡拱手相让交给了敌人。
If you catch the escaped prisoner, will you give him up to the police?假如你抓到了那个逃犯,你会把他交给警方吗?
After hiding in the woods for weeks, the criminal gave himself up.该罪犯在森林里躲了几个星期以后自首了。
宣布无法医治; 对…不抱希望 lose hope for; despair of give sb ⇔ up
His pulse was so weak that the doctor gave him up as dead.他的脉搏非常弱,医生认为他没希望了。
When Mary didn't come by nine o'clock, we gave her up.玛丽九点还未到,我们认为她不会来了。
I had already given John up, when suddenly he walked in.我以为约翰不会来了,他却突然走了进来。
泄露 reveal or disclose give sth ⇔ up
The criminal has given up the names of his accomplices.罪犯已经供出了同案犯的姓名。
- 放弃; 认输; 猜不出 stop doing or having sth; stop trying to guess a joke or mystery give up
- give a cough 咳嗽一声
- give a cry 叫喊一声
- give a dinner 设宴
- give a garden party 开游园会
- give a good account of oneself 表现优异〔英勇〕
- give a jump 跳了一下
- give a kick 踢一脚
- give a lecture 开演讲会
- give a look 看一看
- give a loud laugh 大笑一声
- give a play 上演一剧
- give a ring 打了一个电话
- give a shout 叫一声
- give a start 大吃一惊
- give a try 试一试
- give cause 给予…理由
- give chase 追赶
- give thanks 作感恩祈祷
- give the gun 加速
- give voice 引吭高歌
- give way 退后,失效,屈服,为…所代替
- give sb a hand 援助; 赞许
- give sb a piece of one's mind 责难,责骂
- give sb the cold shoulder 待人冷淡
- give sb the gate 解雇,放弃
- give sb the slip 溜走
- give the city a new look 使这个城市面目一新
- give abundantly 丰富地供给
- give charitably 宽厚地供给
- give conscientiously 诚心诚意地提供
- give discreetly 谨慎地提供
- give exclusively 孤傲地表演
- give freely 慷慨捐助
- give generously 慷慨解囊
- give grudgingly 吝惜地提供
- give intentionally 故意地提供
- give magnificently 宏伟地表演
- give willingly 乐意给予
- give around 让步
- give away 放弃,泄露,分配,贡献
- give away a secret 泄露秘密
- give a friend away 出卖朋友
- give away one's comrades 出卖同志
- give oneself away 暴露自己,露马脚
- give away to sb 向某人让步
- give back 归还,恢复,反射,报复
- give sb back an angry look 回瞪某人一眼
- give sb back his health 使某人恢复健康
- give sth back to sb 把某物归还给某人
- give in 屈服,交上,被…所取代,瓦解,失态,(驾车时)礼让
- give in to sb 对某人让步,迁就某人
- give off (释)放出,发出(气味等)
- give off heat 发热
- give off light 发光
- give off smoke 冒出烟
- give out 布置,分发(书,文件等),用尽,发表,发布(新闻),发出(光,热等),交出(票)
- give out a sweet smell 吐出芬芳
- give out assignment 布置作业
- give out the examination papers 分发试卷
- give out the news 宣布消息
- give over 放弃,递交,致力于,把精力花在…上
- give over a mode of life 放弃一种生活方式
- give over a package to sb's keeping 把包裹交某人保管
- give oneself over to drinking 纵酒
- give up 中止,屈服,引渡,放出
- give oneself up to 投降,自首,专心致志(于)
- give oneself up to the police 向警察局投案自首
- give up a secret 泄露秘密
- give up all hope 放弃一切希望
- give up halfway 半途而废
- give up job 辞去工作
- give up life 献出生命
- give up one's arms 缴械
- give up school 辍学
- give up seat to sb 把座位让给某人
- give up smoking 戒烟
- give sb sth as a present 给某人某物作为礼物
- give cause for 是…的原因,引起
- give money for sth 花钱买某物
- give one's life for the country 为国捐躯
- give one's answers in English 用英语回答
- give one's daughter in marriage 嫁女儿
- give into 通向(大街等)
- give of one's best 尽自己最大的努力
- give on to the street (窗)正对着大街
- give onto 朝向,面对,开向,通向
- give to 给予,赠给,交付,委托
- give colour to 使…生色
- give oneself to 专心致力于,沾染上
- give place to 让位于
- give tongue to one's doubts about 说出对…有怀疑
- give way to 让位于,对…让步,给…让路,向…妥协
- give wide berth to 避免
If the weather stays fine we should have a fair surface with some give in it.出自：Times
It was a one-way thing, this concern for one's children; all give and no take.出自：P. Angadi
He's terribly conservative in things that matter. He has absolutely no give about them at all.出自：New Yorker
The little brown pennies he gave sparingly for alms.出自：J. Steinbeck
- give是常用动词,词义丰富,用法复杂,构词能力强; 其基本的词义是“给”。give作及物动词时可接名词或代词作宾语,也可接双宾语,其间接宾语有时可转换为介词to的宾语,还可接动词不定式或以“as+ n. ”充当补足语的复合宾语。
- give接双宾语时,间接宾语是人,双宾语的句型可以转变为跟to短语的句型,但当间接宾语是物时,则间接宾语在前,直接宾语在后的位置是固定的,不可以转换。give接双宾语时的被动结构可把间接宾语变为主语; 也可把直接宾语变为主语。但人们通常对人(或动物)比对物更感兴趣,所以用人作主语比较多。
- give的过去分词常用作定语,多前置,构成过去分词短语时则一般后置。过去分词短语作状语时表示完成或被动的意义,作“假定; 容许; 如果有…”解。
- 习语give it me主要用在英国, give it to me则多用在美国,是正式用法。
让我们把教室打扫一下。误：Let's give a thorough cleaning to the classroom.正：Let's give the classroom a thorough cleaning.
- give over, give up
二者都可作“放弃”解,都可以接名词或动名词。但give up的语气要比give over强烈得多。试比较:
- We have already given up all hope of the high-pitched song of “detente”.
- 我们对于“缓和”的高调早以不抱什么 希望了。(表达的决心坚定不移)
- Harry has given over his attempt this time but he may renew it at another time.
- 这一次哈里放弃尝试,说不定另一次他 可能又继续干起来。(表达的决心不那 么坚决)
- give one's hand, give one a hand
give one's hand意为“结婚”, give one a hand意为“帮助”。试比较:
- Mary chose to give her hand to John.
- The youth gave me a hand when I was lifting my baggage.
- give up, abandon, desert, forsake, leave, quit
1.abandon的宾语可以是对其负有权利和义务的人(朋友、妻室儿女等)、物或事物(计划、希望、意见、职业等),例如:He abandoned medicine for literature.他弃医从文。desert的宾语主要是职责或应尽的义务; forsake的宾语可以是某种宗教信仰或爱好等,也可以是某人曾经一度爱慕或依恋过的人或物。例如:She forsook her worldly possessions to devote herself to the church.她抛弃所有而献身教会。2.leave为普通用语,表示一般的“离开”,与off搭配时表示“放弃”,例如:It's time you left off that childish habit of thought.你该放弃那种孩子似的思维习惯了。abandon强调不负责任,丢弃不顾,永远和完全放弃,例如:I would never abandon any friends.我永远不会遗弃我的朋友。desert强调背信弃义,违背允诺、誓言或逃避责任,为法律或道德所不容; forsake强调断绝感情上的依恋,含有并不违背法律和道德规范的意味; quit表示突然地、仓促地放弃; give up包含有abandon, quit或leave的意思。3.在原因或动机上, abandon, leave, give up可以是主动的、自愿的,也可以是被迫的、勉强的; quit则是主动的、自愿的,例如:I'd had enough, so I quit.我受够了,所以我辞职不干了。
- give one's regards to, ask after, say hello to
这三个短语的意思是“问候”。其区别在于:ask after指向某人问起(另一人的)健康状况或福利、兴盛等情况,但所问候的人并不想知道详细情况,只表示一般的关心而已,例如：He asked after your health.他向你问候。say hello to与give one's regard to的意思和用法基本相同,后面都接被问候的对象,有时,这种问候是礼节性的说法,例如：Say hello to your parents for me, please.请代我问候你父母。Please give my kind regards to your brother.请代我向令兄问候。
- give, offer
- He gave me some tickets.
- He offered me some tickets, which I re- fused politely.
- give, send
- He gave me some pictures of Guilin.
- He sent me some pictures of Guilin.
- give, award, confer, grant, present
这组词都有“给予”的意思。其区别是：give是最普通用语。present较正式,指以一定的形式或程序赠给,并暗示所给的物有一定的价值。例如:When Mr. Brown left the firm, the director presented a gold watch to him.布朗先生离开这家公司时,董事长送给他一只金表。grant指依照对方的希望或要求给予,有权者以正式手续给予。例如:They have been granted permission to pull down the old theatre.他们已获准拆除这座旧戏院。award指有充分理由给予奖赏。例如:She's been awarded a scholarship to study at Oxford University.她获得了去牛津大学念书的奖学金。confer指地位较高者把名誉或地位授予较低者。例如:An honorary degree was conferred on him by the university.这所大学授予他荣誉学位。
- give, afford
- I should like to give him a chance.
- It afforded me an opportunity.
- give, afford, provide, supply
这四个词都有“给”“供给”“提供”的意思。其区别是：1.afford指为一定的目的而“给”“提供”所需要的东西; give指无需偿还地把金钱、物品、时间、麻烦等有形或无形的东西“送给”“授予”“供给”某人; provide主要指为某人、某物或某事“提供”“供应”某物品,尤指生活必需品; supply指用物“供给”“供应”或“提供”给国家、群众、工厂、城市、市场等,以部队为对象时,往往只供给生活必需品,而不指武器。例如:Some trees afford resin. 有些树产树脂。I should like to give him a chance.我想给他一个机会。Now we supply power to nine-tenths of the city's homes.现在我们向这个城市十分之九的家庭提供电力。2.afford后面可跟不定式或动名词,还常用在can, could, be able to后面表示“担负得起”某事物的费用、损失、后果等,以及“抽得出”时间、人力,其后可接双宾语,意思是“向某人提供某物”; provide后面可接for, with和against等介词; supply后可接介词to。例如:Our garden affords us fresh vegetables.我们的园子为我们提供新鲜蔬菜。More and more vegetables and fruit are supplied to the army.越来越多的蔬菜和水果供应部队。The programme aims to provide self-sufficiency for local needs.这项计划旨在使当地需要得以自足。
- You will be given a chance to do the work.
- A chance to do the work will be given you.
- A chance to do the work will be given to you.
- He gave twenty yuan for the dictionary.
- He gave the dictionary for twenty yuan .
误 He has given me the present for a month.
正 It is a month since he gave me the present.
误 He gave his life to serve the people.
正 He gave his life to serving the people.
析 表示“将毕生献给…”,可说give one's life to...,其中to是介词,不是动词不定式的符号,后面应该跟名词性短语。
误 Who(m) did you give the money?
正 Who(m) did you give the money to?
正 To who(m) did you give the money?
析 当give的间接宾语为who(m)时,只能用give sth to sb 结构。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的gieafn，意为给予，授予。
- GIVE:Giveaway (soccer; a turnover)免费的样品(足球,营业额)
- GIVE:Grid Ionospheric Vertical Error网格电离层垂直的错误
- GIVE:Global Initiative to Advance Entrepreneurship全球推进创业
- give:give n. 弹性, 可弯性vt. 给, 授予, 供给, 献出, 让步, 引起, 发表, 捐助vi. 捐赠, 让步习惯用语What gives? [口]发生什么事?出现什么情况?give about…