- 增进， （逐渐）增长，增强，加强
- vt. & vi. 修建,建造 make or construct sth by putting parts or material together
- vt. & vi. 开发,创建 develop sth; establish
- [C][U]体形,结构 shape and size (of the human body)
constitution of the human body
alternative names for the body of a human being;
"Leonardo studied the human body"
"he has a strong physique"
"the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"
make by combining materials and parts;
"this little pig made his house out of straw"
"Some eccentric constructed an electric brassiere warmer"
form or accumulate steadily;
"Resistance to the manager's plan built up quickly"
"Pressure is building up at the Indian-Pakistani border"
build or establish something abstract;
"build a reputation"
improve the cleansing action of;
order, supervise, or finance the construction of;
"The government is building new schools in this state"
give form to, according to a plan;
"build a modern nation"
"build a million-dollar business"
be engaged in building;
"These architects build in interesting and new styles"
found or ground;
"build a defense on nothing but the accused person's reputation"
bolster or strengthen;
"We worked up courage"
"build up confidence"
"ramp up security in the airports"
develop and grow;
"Suspense was building right from the beginning of the opera"
- That house is built of bricks.
- They planed to build a new laboratory.
- It is not an easy task to build a business.
- We should study hard to build a better future for ourselves.
- His analysis build up their confidence.
- We must build up a reserve fund to meet emergencies.
- She really did not have the build for a ballerina.
- That girl is of proportional build and is beautiful.
- I would rather not build if I can find a suitable house.
- You can trust his word; he's been building for more than 20 years.
- The house is building.
- The wind began to build and the sleet to blow about.
- The pressure for the President's resignation will build.
- As the crisis built, a political aide acknowledged that Carter's image was suffering.
- They are building a house.
- Carpenters build houses and birds build nests.
- I built a house last year.
- In trying to build a house by himself, he had bitten off more than he could chew.
- They are building a house of four bedrooms.
- The workers began to build another railway last month.
- Reading builds the mind.
- Hard work builds character.
- They have built their economies at the expense of the other nations of the world.
- Lifting weights will build arm and shoulder muscles.
- In this way they helped us build our confidence in victory.
- Lots of roads and bridges were built.
- The house was built five years ago.
- Mr. Green is building me a garage.
- The government has built us workers so many houses.
- He built me a model ship out of wood.
- We shall build the children a playground this fall.
- He built a school for the blind.
- They built a new library for us.
- We built our house very nice looking.
- The bird built their nest very smart.
- The television was built flush into the wall.
- It was built solid as a ship.
- We are of the same build.
- That young man has a very nice build.
- The lady has a nice build, but she isn't beautiful.
- The new schoolmaster has some build!
- She was in her early thirties, with a lean, athletic build.
- With our build, it will be most appropriate for us to be turners.
- His build is too small for playing football.
- An elephant has heavy build.
- These vessels are of European build.
- The house is of Italian build.
- build in1 (v.+adv.)
建造成(房间等的)一部分,使成为一部分 make (sth) a fixed part of usually a room; make (sth) a part of sth else
build sth ⇔ in
Ask the carpenter to build in some cupboards.
It will not be difficult to build wardrobes in if you want them.
The wardrobe in the front bedroom has been built in.
The difficulties seem to be built in.
The open fields are now entirely built in.
- build in2 (v.+prep.)
建在… build at
build sth in sth
The cottage had been built in the shelter of trees.
- build into (v.+prep.)
将(某物或某人)变成(他物或另一种人)change (sth or sb) into (sth else or a kind of person)
build sth into sth
He took some nails and bits of wood, and built them into a rough cupboard.
He has built these scraps of metal into a very strange-looking sculpture.
These cupboards are built into the walls.
The difficulties are built into the work.
The rate of pay was built into her contract.
报酬写在她的合同书上。build sb/sth into sb/sth
He has built his boys into men.
School has made the boy into a coward.
Can you make this dress into a skirt?
If we buy the disused church, we could make it into an attractive home.
- build of (v.+prep.)
用(某种材料)建造(某物) make (sth) from (a certain material)
build sth of sth
Some birds build nests of twigs.
Before bricks were invented, people built their houses of wood.
They built the house of bricks.
Houses in England are mostly built of brick or stone.
- build on1 (v.+adv.)
在原有的建筑物上增建 make (sth) as an additional building
build sth ⇔ on
They planned to build on a shed.
They built on a little room beside the house for the old lady.
We can build on an extension later if you want one.
The hospital is bigger now— they built a new wing on in 1977.
The annex has been built on to the main building.
- build on2〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
依赖,一心指望 depend on; trust in (sth)
build on〔upon〕 sth
He drew the conclusion by building on his own investigation.
他根据自己的调查研究作出结论。build sth on〔upon〕 sth
We built the house on our own land.
My father built his business on years of hard work.
His argument is built upon facts.
Their confidence will be built upon this success.
他们将在这一成功的基础上建立起信心。build on〔upon〕 sth
Don't build upon his promises.
All of us built upon his idea.
我们都指望他的主意。build sth on〔upon〕 sth
Quite a lot of actors have built their careers on his plays.
Don't build your hopes on the chairman's promises.
Some nations built their hopes for peace on the talks between big nations.
The company built its hope upon the government's new policy.
We should not build too many hopes upon their assistance.
- build out (v.+adv.)
增建(一座建筑物的另一部分) add (another part of a building)
build sth ⇔ out
After raising the money, the hospital was able to build out a whole new section.
- build over (v.+adv.)
在(某个地方)盖满建筑物 cover (a place) with buildings
build sth ⇔ over
The fields where I played as a child have been built over.
The farmland has been built over.
- build up (v.+adv.)
宣扬,夸赞,吹捧(某人或某物) praise (sb/sth)
The pressure on the enemy is building up.
Traffic is building up along the road to the coast.
通往海边路上的车辆不断增加。build sth ⇔ up
The US is continually building up its armed forces.
They built the wall up.
You must build up your strength after your illness.
They are building up their military forces.
He has built up a good business.
He has built up a good business over the years from a small beginning.
We must build up a reserve fund to meet emergencies.
To learn a language well you must build up a useful vocabulary.
Many a large and big business has been built up from small ones.
很多大企业都是从小规模发展起来的。build sth ⇔ up
The school has been built up since last year.
从去年开始,这个学校盖满了房子。build sb/sth ⇔ up
The movie company spent much money building up its new picture.
Don't build me up too much; I'm not really that talented.
He's building me up too much— I may disappoint him.
Their products were built up everywhere.
- build a bookcase 做一个书橱
- build a bridge 建桥
- build a chemical plant 建起化工厂
- build a dam 修筑水坝
- build a machine 制造机器
- build a model of ship 做轮船模型
- build a nest (鸟)筑巢
- build a railway 筑铁路
- build a tunnel 修隧道
- build an air-raid shelter 修建防空洞
- build an atom bomb 制造原子弹
- build boat 造船
- build car 制造汽车
- build castle 建城堡
- build huts 搭茅屋
- build military installations 修建军事设施
- build plane 制造飞机
- build ship 制造轮船
- build tents 安下帐篷
- build water conservancy works 修建水利工程
- build a new home 建立新家园,开创新的活动基地
- build a new life 开创新生活
- build a policy 确立一种方针
- build a system 建立制度
- build an administrative center 设立管理中心
- build an enterprise 创办企业
- build good relation with sb 和某人搞好关系
- build good will 使产生好意
- build modern industries 建立现代化工业
- build one's confidence in victory 树立胜利的信心
- build relationship 建立关系
- build the family 创立家业
- build expressly 快速地建造
- build healthily 体格健壮
- build irrevocably 不可改变地形成
- build variously 不同地建造
- build in 建造成房间等的一部分,使成为(…的)一部分
- build on 在原有的建筑物上增建
- build out 增建,建立在…基础上,依赖,指望
- build over 盖满
- build round 四周盖满了房屋
- build up 建立,增进,振兴,改进,积累,扩大
- build after 根据…建成
- build for 适合于…
- build from 根据…而建
- build into 把…建设成,使成为…不可分割的一部分
- build of 用…建造
- build upon 以…为基础
- heavy build 体形粗壮
- large build 身材魁梧
- modern build 摩登结构
- nice build 体形不错
- same build 体形一样
- slight build 体形精瘦
- slim build 修长的身材
The difference in the build of ships now and heretofore.出自： S. Pepys
A tall man, rather the build of Bernard Shaw.出自： M. Muggeridge
- build, construct, erect, establish, found, set up
- build是本组词中最常用者,指一般的“建造,建立”,可以表示具体的、特殊的以及比喻的和抽象的意义; construct强调“复杂性”,不强调花费的劳动(特别是体力劳动),而侧重动脑筋解决建造过程中的问题,即“构思”;erect强调“高度”,即竖立起来;establish表示稳固、持久地建立起具体或抽象的事物;found着重在建立之前打下基础;set up着重起点。例如:
- The house was built of wood.这栋房子是用木头盖起来的。
- They are planning to construct an office building.他们正在计划建一栋办公楼。
- A skyscraper has been erected.一栋摩天大楼拔地而起。
- My father established this firm forty years ago.我的父亲40年前建立了这家公司。
- The house was founded on solid rock.这幢房子建在坚硬的岩石之上。
- When was this company set up?这家公司是什么时候成立的?
- build a library
- build up a library
- ☆ 1660左右进入英语，直接源自古英语的byldan，意为建造房子。