- vt. & vi. (使)充满,(使)装满,填满 make sth full; occupy all of the space in sth
- vt. 满足 meet the needs or demands of
- vt. 任职 hold a position and do the necessary work
- vt. 配药 make up the medicine
- [C]填满…的量 enough to fill sth
- [U]充分,足够 enough; plenty
a quantity sufficient to satisfy;
"he ate his fill of potatoes"
"she had heard her fill of gossip"
any material that fills a space or container;
"there was not enough fill for the trench"
make full, also in a metaphorical sense;
"fill a container"
"fill the child with pride"
"The pool slowly filled with water"
"The theater filled up slowly"
occupy the whole of;
"The liquid fills the container"
assume, as of positions or roles;
"She took the job as director of development"
"he occupies the position of manager"
"the young prince will soon occupy the throne"
fill or meet a want or need
appoint someone to (a position or a job)
eat until one is sated;
"He filled up on turkey"
fill to satisfaction;
"I am sated"
plug with a substance;
"fill a cavity"
- Please fill the cup with water.
- Smoke filled the room.
- Life just gives you time and space, it's up to you to fill it.
- He is competent enough to fill that position.
- No more tea,thank you,I've had my fill.
- The hall soon filled.
- The cistern is empty but soon fills again.
- People filled the room.
- Laughter filled the room.
- Joy of victory filled the hearts of the fighters.
- Lucy is the best person to fill this secretary vacancy.
- He filled the chair of Chinese literature at the university.
- This young man fills the office satisfactorily.
- This should fill your requirements nicely.
- These products will fill the urgent need of the consumers.
- Her main job was filling the doctor's prescriptions.
- The reservoir was completely filled.
- His departure left a gap in the Haes' family that would never be filled.
- His place will not be easily filled.
- Please fill me a glass of wine.
- Please fill this glass for me.
- You've filled the bath too full.
- His friends shot old Darnell through and through—filled him full of bullets, and ended him.
- Would you like a fill of my tobacco?
- She cried her fill.
- She let us gaze out fill.
- When she had laughed her fill, she told him he was too late.
- After enjoying their fill of food, they strolled back to their village.
- fill away (v.+adv.)
顺风行驶 catch the wind by setting the yards or trimming the sails
Then a wind arose, and the little sailing boat filled away.
Each vessel filled away, and kept in its course.
The fleet began to fill away on a northerly course.
- fill in (v.+adv.)
填补 act as a replacement for
fill sth ⇔ in
The workmen dug a hole, mended the pipe, and then filled the hole in again.
They were busy filling in a depression in the road to facilitate transportation.
He helped us to fill in a big gap in our knowledge.
The ruts must be filled in so that traffic can pass.
车轮压出的辙迹必须填平,以便行人和车辆通行。fill sth ⇔ in
Many people find it difficult to fill in a form.
You are expected to fill in your name to cash a cheque.
You got the date wrong when you were filling in the cheque.
It took me only five minutes to fill in the questionnaire.
A blank space left so that the date could be filled in.
留有空白,以便填写日期。fill in the time
Sam, if you don't work, how can you fill in the time?
山姆,你如果不上班怎么打发日子呢?fill sb ⇔ in on sth
Please fill me in on your future plan.
Please fill me in on what happened at the meeting.
He always fills us in on what his programme is.
Please fill me in on what's been happening while I've been away.
John has gone to Paris.I have to fill in.
I don't know what to do,I'm just filling in while the regular girl is away.
我不知道做什么才好,我只是临时顶替那个做这项工作的姑娘。fill in for sb
I can't go to the meeting, will you fill in for me?
Cage is ill.Can you fill in for her tonight?
His medical skill is so superb that he can hardly be filled in for in an emergency.
The harbour gradually filled in.
港口渐渐淤塞了。fill sth ⇔ in
He fills in a sketch with shadow.
His research results helped filling in our knowledge.
- fill out (v.+adv.)
充实; 增补 enlarge
fill sth ⇔ out
She'll soon become a Party member, she's filled out a membership application.
The sails filled out and the boat floated away .
The underweight child has begun to fill out after regular exercises.
It's strange she didn't fill out much after pregnancy.
Her cheeks began to fill out after she'd been in the convalescent hospital for a couple of months.
在疗养院养了两个月以后,她的脸渐渐变圆了。fill sth ⇔ out
Better health had filled her face out a little.
她身体好转健康,脸蛋发胖。fill sth ⇔ out
They say they'll publish your paper if you can just fill it out a little.
The manuscript might be usable if the author could fill it out a little.
Tom has been asked to fill out the last part of his book to balance the first part.
- fill up (v.+adv.)
(使)充满 make or become completely full
The theatre began to fill up just before the performance.
Following the heavy rain, the storage tanks were filling up again.
We'd better call at the garage to fill up, we're nearly out of petrol.
汽油快用光了,我们最好在加油站停车加油。fill sth ⇔ up
Brooks said to the garage attendant:“Fill it up!”
The report of the accident filled up a column of that paper.
We'll have to fill up the page with photographs.
The swimming pool is filled up with mud.
The canal was filled up with boats on account of a vessel being aground and blocking the way.
I can't see you till tomorrow, the rest of the day is filled up.
- fill with (v.+prep.)
使满怀(某种情感等) fill (sb) with (sth such as a feeling)
fill with sth
The sails filled with wind.
The lake is filling with the heavy rain.
The sky filled with stars.
The valley filled with stretchers.Local women hurried over to carry the wounded.
山谷里摆满了担架,当地妇女赶忙去运送伤员。fill sth with sb/sth
They filled the hole with rubbish.
Please fill the bottle with water.
Fill the tyres with air.
The box was filled with gifts.
The old well was filled with poisonous gas.
The hall was at once filled with joy.
大厅里顿时一片欢腾。fill sb with sth
The sound of that music fills me with memories.
This thought filled me with pleasure.
The sight of him filled her with happiness.
The birth of my grandchild filled me with joy.
She seemed to be suddenly filled with anger.
He was filled with pity for the poor girl.
- one's fill
能忍受的限度 as much as one can bear
- fill a bowl 盛满一碗
- fill a cheque 开支票
- fill a diplomatic post 担任外交职务
- fill a form 填表格
- fill a hollow tooth 补牙
- fill a vacancy 填补空缺
- fill one's pipe 烟斗里装满了烟
- fill sb's place 代替
- fill the bill 满足需要
- fill the blanks 填空
- fill the cup 杯子倒满
- fill the hall 挤满大厅
- fill the hole 把洞填平
- fill the office 就职
- fill the sails 风把帆吹得鼓鼓的
- fill the tank 把油箱注满
- fill adequately 很满
- fill capably 称职
- fill completely 填平
- fill easily 容易填满
- fill evidently 明显满意
- fill expertly 擅长配药
- fill gradually 逐渐充满
- fill nicely 十分满意
- fill partially 部分填塞
- fill properly 相当称职
- fill quickly 很快充满
- fill rapidly 很快充满
- fill satisfactorily 心满意足
- fill tremendously 填得太满了
- fill away 向前航行,乘风前进
- fill in 填满,填充,填写,把…插入
- fill in for a teacher 替某人代课
- fill out 使膨胀,使丰满,使变圆,使充实,填充
- fill out the order form 填订货单
- fill up 灌满(水),斟满(酒)
- fill up time 消磨时间
- fill hatred for 使某人充满对…的仇恨
- fill sympathy for 使某人充满对…的同情
- fill the tube for a bath 给浴盆注满水洗澡
- fill with 用…充满,使…充满,往…(里)灌
- fill one's guest with a good meal 用好饭菜招待宾客
- fill sb with admiration for 使某人充满对…的赞美
- fill a room with furniture 房间里堆满了家具
- fill sb with love for... 使某人充满对…的热爱
- fill a hole with sand 用沙填洞
- fill a cup with tea 茶杯里沏满了茶
- be filled with a sense of... 怀着某种意识
- be filled with anger 充满愤怒
- be filled with anxiety 充满焦虑
- be filled with confidence 满怀信心
- be filled with determination 满怀决心
- be filled with doubt 充满怀疑
- be filled with enthusiasm 满怀热情
- be filled with feeling of 满怀某种感情
- be filled with gratitude 满怀感激之情
- be filled with hesitation 充满犹豫
- be filled with hope 满怀希望
- be filled with indignation 充满义愤
- be filled with people 挤满人
- be filled with soldiers in a truck 卡车里满载士兵
- be filled with tears (眼里)充满泪水
- cry one's fill 哭个够
- drink one's fill 喝个够
- eat one's fill of honey 蜂蜜吃个够
- laugh one's fill 笑个够
- weep one's fill 哭个痛快
Away, my goats, away: for you have browz'd your fill.出自： Dryden
She had had her fill of the cloisters and the hovering nuns, kindly as most of them were.出自： fig.
She filled the kettle and placed it on the stove.出自： J. L. Waten
The..brutality..filled him with a despairing desire to escape.出自： J. Conrad
- fill可作不及物动词,也可作及物动词。用作不及物动词时,主动形式常含有被动意义; 用作及物动词时,可接名词或代词作宾语,也可接双宾语,其间接宾语可转化为介词for的宾语。还可接以形容词充当补足语的复合宾语。
- fill用作可数名词的意思是“填满…的量”,常与of连用,用于具体名词; fill用作不可数名词可表示抽象意义“充分,足够”,一般用于正式文体中。
- 一般来说，fill常与介词with连用，表示“把东西放满在……里”，如fill the cup with wine（用酒装满杯子）。要注意fill不表示“把东西放满在……上”，如fill the table with books（把桌子堆满书）这中表达方式是错误的；
He filled five engagements that day.
He filled me a glass of beer.
fill in/up/out都可用来表示“填写（表格）”，而fill单用，或者是fill in/up/out都可用来表示“填写（在空白处）”。
Please fill in your name and address.
Please fill these blanks.
- The jar filled with water.
- The jar was filled with water.
- The jar was full of water.
- Tears filled her eyes.
- Her eyes filled with tears.
- Her eyes were filled with tears.
- fill sth in 把…填平 fill ... into ... 将…装进…里面 fill...with... 将…装满…
误 The driver filled gasoline into the tank.
正 The driver filled the tank with gasoline.
析 表示“用…装满…”,应该说fill sth with sth,其中fill的宾语应该是某种容器, with的宾语是填充物。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的fyllan，意为填充。