- [C] [U] 储备品,供应物 a supply of sth for use
- [U] [C] (商店的)现货,存货 (a supply of) goods for sale, especially in a shop
- [C] 公债; 股份; 股票 money lent to a government or company, on which interest is paid
- [U] 原汤,汤料 a liquid made by boiling meat, bones, etc., and used in cooking
- [U] 家系,家世,血统 person's line of ancestry
- vt. & vi. 供应; 贮存 supply or equip with; keep in stock
- the capital raised by a corporation through the issue of shares entitling holders to an ownership interest (equity);
"he owns a controlling share of the company's stock"
- the merchandise that a shop has on hand;
"they carried a vast inventory of hardware"
"they stopped selling in exact sizes in order to reduce inventory"
- the handle of a handgun or the butt end of a rifle or shotgun or part of the support of a machine gun or artillery gun;
"the rifle had been fitted with a special stock"
- a certificate documenting the shareholder's ownership in the corporation;
"the value of his stocks doubled during the past year"
- a supply of something available for future use;
"he brought back a large store of Cuban cigars"
- the descendants of one individual;
"his entire lineage has been warriors"
- a special variety of domesticated animals within a species;
"he experimented on a particular breed of white rats"
"he created a new strain of sheep"
- liquid in which meat and vegetables are simmered; used as a basis for e.g. soups or sauces;
"she made gravy with a base of beef stock"
- the reputation and popularity a person has;
"his stock was so high he could have been elected mayor"
- persistent thickened stem of a herbaceous perennial plant
- a plant or stem onto which a graft is made; especially a plant grown specifically to provide the root part of grafted plants
- any of several Old World plants cultivated for their brightly colored flowers
- any of various ornamental flowering plants of the genus Malcolmia
- lumber used in the construction of something;
"they will cut round stock to 1-inch diameter"
- the handle end of some implements or tools;
"he grabbed the cue by the stock"
- an ornamental white cravat
- any animals kept for use or profit
- repeated too often; overfamiliar through overuse;
"his remarks were trite and commonplace"
"a stock answer"
"repeating threadbare jokes"
"parroting some timeworn axiom"
"the trite metaphor `hard as nails'"
"a stock answer"
- regularly and widely used or sold;
"a standard size"
"a stock item"
- have on hand;
"Do you carry kerosene heaters?"
- equip with a stock;
"stock a rifle"
- supply with fish;
"stock a lake"
- supply with livestock;
"stock a farm"
- amass so as to keep for future use or sale or for a particular occasion or use;
"let's stock coffee as long as prices are low"
- provide or furnish with a stock of something;
"stock the larder with meat"
- put forth and grow sprouts or shoots;
"the plant sprouted early this year"
- We have a large stock of tinned fruit.
- The grocer's has plenty varieties of goods in stock.
- We need to replenish our stocks of coal.
- Branches grow from the stock of the tree.
- They eyed every change in the stock market.
- Prices on the stock exchange advanced two points.
- The company hold a majority of the stock.
- Some of the farmer's stock won prizes at the state fair.
- He is a foreign teacher of Irish stock.
- The English language derives mainly from the Germanic stock.
- Season with salt and strain the broth. This is now your prawn stock.
- His stock as an actor rises every time he wins another award.
- We must stock up with food for the holiday.
- We must stock up coal for the winter.
- We stock all types of fur coats.
- The company stocks a shop with goods.
- She's tired of her husband's stock jokes.
- Jeans is one of our stock items.
Stocks of coal are running low.
This store keeps a large stock of toys.
He bought a lot of government stock.
She invested most of her savings in stocks and shares.
He descended from Jewish stock.
They've stocked their grain in the barn.
The library didn't stock zoology textbooks.
- in〔out of〕 stock
(商店等中)有〔无〕现货的available〔not available〕 (in a shop, etc.)
The store had children's shoes in stock. 这家商店童鞋有现货。
The blue skirts are out of stock. 这种蓝衬衫已脱销。
- (商店等中)有〔无〕现货的available〔not available〕 (in a shop, etc.)
- on the stocks
在建造中,在准备中being constructed or prepared
Before he finished one novel, he had another on the stocks. 他一本小说尚未完稿,已在进行另一本小说的写作了。
- 在建造中,在准备中being constructed or prepared
- take stock (of)
- 盘点存货examine and make a list of all the goodsThe shop takes stock every week on Friday mornings.这家商店每星期五早晨盘点存货。
检查,评估review, assess and form an opinionIt is time for taking stock and planning for the future.是作出评估和规划未来的时候了。
He took stock of the stranger. 他仔细打量着那个陌生人。
- stock up (v.+adv.)
采办货物或用品 obtain a supply of goods stock up
People started to stock up when a shortage of food was reported.食品短缺报道后,人们开始贮备食品。stock up on〔with〕 sth
Father has stock up on wine and food for the New Year party.父亲已为新年晚会准备好了酒和食物。
You had better stock up with sugar because they say there is going to be shortage.你最好购进一些食糖,因为他们说马上就要没有货了。stock sth ⇔ up 用于 be ～ed 结构
All the toyshops are now well stocked up for Christmas.所有的玩具店现已备好了圣诞节的货物。
- 采办货物或用品 obtain a supply of goods stock up
- stock with (v.+prep.)
供应; 贮存 supply a shop〔a body〕 of water with goods/fish stock sth with sth/v-ing
He stocked his shop with tinned goods.他为自己的商店贮备罐头食品。
The city council have suggested stocking the lake with fish to provide food and fun for the citizens.市政府建议在湖里养鱼供市民食用和娱乐。用于 be ～ed 结构
Our camp is well stocked with everything we need for a short stay.我们的野营地备有我们短期居住所需要的一切东西。
His toolbox was always stocked with a quantity of cheap brass screws.他的工具箱里总是备存着大量的廉价黄铜螺丝钉。
- 供应; 贮存 supply a shop〔a body〕 of water with goods/fish stock sth with sth/v-ing
- in〔out of〕 stock 有〔缺〕货
- fall in stocks 股票的跌价
- of good stock 名门世家
- off the stocks (船)下水的,(作品)已完成的
- on the stocks 在建造中,在准备中
- stock with 供应,贮存
In the case of strongly marked races..there is..strong evidence that all are descended from a single wild stock.出自：C. Darwin
One of Swegen's..sons might well become the stock of a new dynasty.出自：E. A. Freeman
When a stock or tribe..took possession of a district.出自：W. W. Fowler
American Jews of East European immigrant stock.出自：N. Podhoretz
He..began methodically stocking his cigar-case from a bundle.出自：J. Galsworthy
Its..reading room is well stocked with the latest newspapers.出自：N. Chomsky
Ornamental fishponds..stocked with..carp.出自：W. Boyd
Stocking her mind with an unorthodox jumble of ideas.出自：fig.
- share作为集合名词，在美式英语中的解释为“股份”的意思，与英式英语中的share意思相近，但是不等同。两个企业有两stocks，表示每一“股”时应该用share或者share of stock来表述，一个企业的全体shares是股份（stock）；
- take stock of 解释为“估量”，“清查”；take stock in 解释为“信任”或“购买股票”；
out of stock有两种意思：一是“缺货”的意思，另外一种是“没有存货”的意思。
When I ordered a copy of the DVD， the seller said it happened to be out of stock.
When I ordered a copy of the DVD, the seller said he happened to be out of stock.
- stock后接副词up表示“采办货物或用品”; 后接介词with表示“配备”。
- 表示“储备”时英国人常用stock up with; 而美国人常用stock up on。
- stock还可用作形容词,作“常备的”“常用的,陈腐的”解。例如:The weather is a stock subject of conversation.天气是聊天的习惯话题。Toothpaste is stock merchandise in a drugstore.牙膏是杂货店里的常备商品。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的stcoc，意为树桩，柱子，树干；最初源自古日耳曼语的stukkaz，意为树干。
- stock:stock n. 树干, 库存, 股票, 股份, 托盘, 祖先, 血统, 原料adj. 股票的, 普通的, 常备的, 存货的, 繁殖用的vt. 装把手于, 进货, 备有, 放牧vi. 出新芽, 采购习…