- n. 东西；原料；材料
- n. 素质；本质；废物；无用的想法；废话，蠢话
- vt. 塞满；填满
- <美口>【篮球】塞篮，扣篮(＝stuff shot)
- [U] 材料,东西 matter; material
- vt. 以…填进,填满,塞满 fill tightly with
the tangible substance that goes into the makeup of a physical object;
"coal is a hard black material"
"wheat is the stuff they use to make bread"
miscellaneous unspecified objects;
"the trunk was full of stuff"
informal terms for personal possessions;
"did you take all your clobber?"
"don't give me that stuff"
unspecified qualities required to do or be something;
"the stuff of heros"
"you don't have the stuff to be a United States Marine"
information in some unspecified form;
"it was stuff I had heard before"
"there's good stuff in that book"
a critically important or characteristic component;
"suspense is the very stuff of narrative"
cram into a cavity;
"The child stuffed candy into his pockets"
press or force;
"Stuff money into an envelope"
"She thrust the letter into his hand"
"My nose is all stuffed"
"Her arteries are blocked"
overeat or eat immodestly; make a pig of oneself;
"She stuffed herself at the dinner"
"The kids binged on ice cream"
treat with grease, fill, and prepare for mounting;
"stuff a bearskin"
fill tightly with a material;
"stuff a pillow with feathers"
fill with a stuffing while cooking;
"Have you stuffed the turkey yet?"
- Get rid of that stuff in the garage.
- I've got quite a lot of stuff to read.
- We must as well buy our own stuff.
- Some parts nowadays are made of plastic or similar stuff.
- The young man has good stuff in him.
- If I go to a sale,I'll end up buying a lot of stuff I do not need.
- He stuffed the suitcase with his clothes.
- The cupboard was stuffed with old fishing tackle.
- They have stuffed the hole up.
- What is this stuff?
- We must as well buy our own stuff.
- She stuffed her clothes in and then tried to close the lid.
- Why should you stuff yourself?
- You can stuff the job,I don't care it.
- Don't believe him; he's stuffing you.
- I'm stuffed.
- The little boy was stuffed.
- and stuff
等等and so on; etc.
- stuff down (v.+prep.)
强使某人记住、相信或接受某种令人不快或违背意愿的事情 force sb to remember, believe, or accept sth unpleasant or against his will用于be ～ed结构
- stuff into (v.+prep.)
塞入; 迫使…吃 pack sth such as material or things tightly in sth; force food on sb
stuff sth into sb/sth
I simply can't stuff any more clothes into this case.
Please don't stuff worthless food into my children,I'd like to control what they eat.
- stuff it
忍受不愉快的事 put up with sth unpleasant
- stuff up (v.+adv.)
堵上 block sth; be filled, as with a cold
stuff sth ⇔ up
She stuffed her ears up with cotton-wool.
You stuff the hole in the window up with newspaper until the man can put some new glass in.
My nose is uncomfortably stuffed up.
I have got a bad cold and my nose is all stuffed up.
- stuff with (v.+prep.)
灌输某种思想 give sb ideas about sth
stuff sth with sth
You could stuff the chair with this torn material.
For Christmas, we stuff the chicken with a mixture of bread and flavourings.
The cupboard was stuffed with old fishing tackle.
Every case he had was already stuffed with clothes.
他所有的箱子都塞满了衣服。stuff oneself with sth
She sat stuffing herself with biscuits.
她坐在那里吃饼干。stuff sb/sth with sth
Don't stuff him with silly ideas.
The pedlar was stuffing the boy with lies.
His article is stuffed with cliche.
His head is stuffed with silly romantic ideas.
- classify stuff 把材料分类
- bad stuff 劣质货
- stuff of… 的内容
The sumptuous wealth of stuffsslong dresses, velvet hangings.出自： J. Updike
A number of people stuffed together..in small huts.出自： J. Langhorne
- stuff, material, matter, substance
- 1.matter泛指构成客观物体或宇宙的所有物质。在物理学上指由很少的几种基本粒子构成的物质; 在哲学上则指与mind(意识)相对的物质。例如:
- Matter occupies space.物质占据空间。
- 2.stuff, material和substance都可指构成或制作某物的材料或零件, material特指人造制品的制作原料, substance则指某种可使某物具有某种特性的特殊物质。例如:
- Hope is the stuff that dreams are made of.希望正是构成理想的材料。
- The tips of matches are covered with chemical substance.火柴头上包着一层化学物质。
- He is now collecting material for a biography of Du Fu.他正在为写作杜甫传记而收集资料。
- He was told to move his stuff out of the room.人家叫他把他的东西搬出房间去。
- stuff, cram, pack, ram, tamp
- 这组词的共同意思是“打包”。其区别在于:pack指捆好或包好某物以便贮藏或运输,引申可指许多人或物挤满或填满某一空间; cram含有“乱七八糟地用力塞进”的意思,而不考虑是否容易或方便地取出; ram强调不仅塞满而且压紧; stuff专指用填充材料或垫料来填满或塞满,暗示把某物塞得胀鼓鼓的; tamp原指用黏土或别的材料填满装有炸药的钻孔,引申指用连续的撞击把某物捣碎或把某物的上方、下方及四周压紧以起支撑作用。例如:
- The audience packed the hall.听众挤满了大厅。
- The box was crammed with letters.信箱里塞满了信件。
- I rammed down the earth round the newly planted bush.我把刚种的小树丛周围的泥土压结实了。
- You stuff the hole in the window up with newspaper until the man can put some new glass in.工人来装新玻璃前你可以用点纸先把窗上的洞堵上。
- He tamped down the tobacco in the pipe.他把烟斗中的烟丝压实。
- stuffing n. 填充物,填料;食物中的填料,馅‖stuffy adj. 空气不好的,通风不好的,闷的;(观点、举止)陈腐的,呆板的,拘谨的