- 【律】使无效，宣告无效 ，作废
- （使）困惑， 阻挠，难住，挫折
- vt. 击败,战胜 overcome
- vt. 使挫败,使落空 win a victory over; stop (hopes, aims, etc.) from becoming reality
- [U]战胜,挫败 the act of defeating
- [U][C]战败,失败 the act of state of being defeated
- an unsuccessful ending to a struggle or contest;
"it was a narrow defeat"
"the army's only defeat"
"they suffered a convincing licking"
- the feeling that accompanies an experience of being thwarted in attaining your goals
- win a victory over;
"You must overcome all difficulties"
"defeat your enemies"
"He overcame his shyness"
"He overcame his infirmity"
"Her anger got the better of her and she blew up"
- thwart the passage of;
"kill a motion"
"he shot down the student's proposal"
- This defeat was a powerful blow to the enemy.
- The news of army's defeat cast a gloom over the town.
- They are still wailing over their defeat.
- It was a sound strategy to defeat the enemy.
- The naval captain defeated Napoleon in the battle of Trafalgar in 1805, and stopped him from invading England.
- I believe nothing can defeat you.
- The test completely defeated me.
I defeated John at chess yesterday.
Roosevelt defeated Hoover for the presidency.
Before long he rebuilt a strong army and defeated the enemy.
Our football team defeated theirs this time.
The Americans defeated the British in 1781.
A British fleet defeated the French at Trafalgar.
I never believed that any meal could defeat me, but on that day I met my Waterloo.
I've tried to solve the problem, but it defeats me!
This kind of problems always defeats me.
I've tried to understand your idea, but I'm afraid it defeated me.
Why you stay indoor on a beautiful day like this defeats me!
A dishonest man sometimes defeats his own ends.
It was lack of money, not of efforts, that defeated their plan.
We must at any cost defeat them.
They acknowledged having been defeated.
He couldn't hide his disappointment when he knew that he was defeated.
When he was defeated, he came down to earth.
It is universally acknowledged that he was defeated.
They were defeated in the battle.
The enemy was defeated in a decisive battle.
Team A was defeated by Team B at the last football match.A
He has been soundly defeated at chess.
The motion was defeated by 261 votes against 211.
This defeat lessens our chances of winning the championship.
Our baseball team has never yet suffered a defeat.
He always seems cheerful even in defeat.
He acknowledged his defeat.
When the results of the vote were announced the Prime Minister acknowledged defeat.
The premature general strike would invite total defeat.
Their first action ended in defeat.
Such an action would have smelt, to her, of defeat.
They suffered another defeat.
In the American Civil War, the South's lack of industrial development was decisive to its defeat, long before a single shot was fired.
We had two defeats this year.
A succession of military defeats weakened the aggressor.
After several defeats, the team is now doing well again.
They inflicted a crushing defeat on the enemy.
- defeat aggressors 打败侵略者
- defeat drought 战胜干旱
- defeat English team 击败英格兰队
- defeat one's opponents 击败对手
- defeat these arguments 驳倒这些论据
- defeat absolutely 完全击败
- defeat badly 惨败
- defeat completely 彻底失败
- defeat decisively 彻底击败
- defeat finally 最终被击败
- defeat gloriously 虽败犹荣
- defeat logically 情理之中地击败
- defeat subsequently 接着被击败
- defeat successively 接连被击败
- defeat thoroughly 彻底击败
- defeat totally 彻底击败
- defeat utterly 完全击败
- defeat sb at football 在足球比赛中击败某人
- defeat by 以…战胜
- defeat by three goals to one 以三比一的比分战胜
- defeat in a match 在比赛中战胜
- defeat in badminton 在羽毛球赛中打输了
- defeat in one's design 计划落空
- defeat in one's purpose 未达到目的
- defeat in one's scheme 阴谋破产
- defeat sb of an inheritance 剥夺某人的继承权
- defeat sb of ultimate 由于坏脾气使某人不能取得胜利
- defeat through having no reinforcements 由于无援军而被打败
- acknowledge defeat 承认失败
- admit defeat 承认失败
- bring defeat 遭到失败
- court defeat 自讨失败
- inflict defeat 击败
- invite defeat 招致失败,自取灭亡
- know no defeat 不屈不挠,不服输
- meet defeat 面临失败
- suffer defeat 遭受失败
- sustain defeat 遭到失败,遭受挫折
- complete defeat 彻底失败
- crushing defeat 一败涂地
- decisive defeat 决定性的失败
- disheartening defeat 令人沮丧的失败
- expensive defeat 付出高昂代价的失败
- heavy defeat 大败
- humiliating defeat 可耻的失败
- ignominious defeat 可耻的失败
- inevitable defeat 必然的失败,不可避免的失败
- inglorious defeat 不光彩的失败
- insignificant defeat 小小的失败〔挫折〕
- irretrievable defeat 无法挽救的失败
- resounding defeat 彻底的失败
- serious defeat 严重的失败
- severe defeat 惨败
- shameful defeat 可耻的失败
- successive defeat 接连的失败
- terrible defeat 严重受挫
- total defeat 完全失败
- unexpected defeat 未预料到的失败,出乎意外的失败
- utter defeat 完全失败
The defeat of the Armada.出自：J. R. Green
It was check mate, match, and defeat from the opening move.出自：J. Heller
His unkindness may defeat my life.出自：Othello,Shakespeare
- defeat既作类名词，也可作抽象名词，如a defeat（一次挫败）和in defeat（挫败）；
- defeat后接不同的介词时，表示不同意思。例如his defeat of the enemy表示“他打败敌人”，his defeat by the enemy表示“他被敌人打败”，而his defeat表示“他被别人打败”。
- defeat用作名词的基本意思是表示“战胜”的行为。从胜方角度看可表示“战胜”; 从败方角度看可表示“战败”。具体译法根据上下文特别是谓语动词而定。
- defeat表示“失败”时,是不可数名词; 表示“失败的事例”时,是可数名词。
- defeat, conquer, overcome, win
这组词都可表示“获胜”“打败”。其区别是：win表示“获胜”“赢得”,指在竞赛或战斗中击败对方,宾语一般是战役或胜利等; conquer表示“征服”,此词应用范围很广,既可指靠武力或精神道德方面的力量使对方屈服,又可指在排除障碍和阻力后取得胜利,该词强调的不仅是击败对方,而且还包括使对方就范; defeat应用范围也很广,但不像conquer那样含有彻底击败或征服的意思,而是强调暂时的胜利; overcome的意思是“克服”“战胜”,既可用于战斗或任何竞赛,又可用于感情、习惯等方面,强调压倒或胜过。例如:There has been a tremendous international effort to conquer cancer.全世界已作出了巨大努力来征服癌症。They acknowledged having been defeated.他们承认被打败了。We have the courage to overcome difficulties.我们有战胜困难的勇气。
- defeat of, defeat by
defeat of表示主动意义的战胜, of表示动宾关系; defeat by表示被动意义的战胜, by引出行动主体。试比较:
- That was regarded as an Iranian defeat of Iraq.
- That was regarded as an Iranian defeat by Iraq.
- conquer overcome overthrow defeat beat subdue
误 Who defeated the battle?
正 Who won the battle?
析 在英语中win所带的宾语常为game, match, battle之类的词,而defeat后接的宾语则为sb 或像team, school之类的参赛者或单位,表示“击败某人”“打败了某个参赛单位”。
- ☆ 直接源自中古英语的defeten；最初源自古法语的desiaft，意为使做不成。
- defeat:defeat n. 击败, 战胜, 失败vt. 击败, 战胜, 使失败, 挫折v. 击败 英英解释:名词defeat:1. an unsuccessful ending to a struggle o…