- vt. 为 ... 报复； 报仇
- vt. 报(某事)之仇; 向(某人)报仇 (formal)to punish or hurt sb in return for sth bad or wrong that they have done to you, your family or friends
take revenge for a perceived wrong;
"He wants to avenge the murder of his brother"
- How was he to avenge the one without outraging the other?
- Avenge the slain forefather by vanquishing Major Duke.
- He swore by Jupiter to avenge his father's death.
- He will avenge the people on their oppressor.
- I will avenge you.
- “Rest in peace, comrades,” she murmured.“We'll avenge you!”
- “It'll be years before you're big enough. We'll avenge your mother for you.”
- I shall avenge my brother:the man who killed him shall die.
- He avenged his sister.
- She avenged her husband.
- I have avenged my ancestors.
- He wanted to avenge himself for his sufferings.
- He promised to avenge his father's murder
- He avenged the wrong that had been done to his sister.
- She avenged her father's murder.
- I will avenge the death of my brother.
- Who would avenge her death?
- They avenged his death by burning the village.
- He avenged the insult by refusing to give money to the scheme.
- The settlers avenged the burning of the fort by destroying an Indian village.
- I will avenge you on the enemy.
- “Now I avenge myself upon those who have eaten up my substance and would destroy my home!” cried the hero.
- He swears that he will avenge himself on you sooner or later.
- He avenged himself on his enemies.
- He swore to avenge himself on the mafia.
- They began to avenge themselves on their neighbours for the years of suppression.
- Hamlet wanted to avenge himself on〔upon〕 Claudius.
- She was determined to avenge herself on the man who had betrayed her.
- At the end of the play,Hamlet avenged his father's death upon the murderer.
- She avenged her mother's death upon the Nazi soldiers.
- The Indians avenged the burning of their village on〔upon〕 the settlers.
- She will be avenged on him for an insult sooner or later.
- He was avenged on the murderer of his brother.
- He was amply avenged on an enemy for an injury.
When wilt thou be auenged of my aduersaries?出自：Bible (Coverdale): Psalms
Avenge, O Lord, thy slaughtered saints.出自： Milton
Private grudges were avenged.出自： W. N. Massey
Edwy had the power to avenge himself upon Dunstan.出自： W. F. Hook
Those who offend us are generally punished..but we so frequently miss the satisfaction of knowing that we are avenged.出自： A. Trollope
Why Hamlet..did not avenge upon his hated uncle his father's death.出自： L. Trilling
The ferocity and guile with which Absalom had avenged the rape of his sister.出自： D. Jacobson
- avenge的基本意思是“为(受害、受辱、含冤等)进行报复”,是及物动词,其宾语为所受害或受辱之事,可为名词或动名词。报复的对象可由on 或upon引出。
- avenge还可接oneself或用被动语态,意为“报仇; 复仇”。
- avenge, revenge
- 1.avenge和revenge都可用于为自己所受的伤害而报仇, avenge还可指为别人所受的伤害而报仇。
- 2.revenge多出于利己的动机,而非出于利他的动机; avenge多出于正义的动机,是高尚的用语。
- revenge 报仇
- retaliate 报复
- punish 惩罚
- get even 报复
- hit back 回击
- get back at 报复
- redress 赔偿
- requite 报答
- repay 偿还
- wreak vengeance [法] 报仇
- pay back 偿还
- vengeance 报复
- pay 支付
- even 平坦的
- take 拿
- get 得到
- wreak 发泄
- back 后面
- avenger n. 报仇者‖avengement n. 报仇; 复仇