- 甚至,即使 which is more than might be expected
- 更加,愈加 still, yet
- vt. 使平; 使相等 make even; make level or equal
- 平的,平坦的 level, smooth, flat
- 均匀的; 有规律的; 稳定的 unchanging in quality; regular; steady
- 相等的,均衡的 equal, equally balanced or matched
- 双数的,偶数的 divisible by two with no remainder
- the latter part of the day (the period of decreasing daylight from late afternoon until nightfall);
"he enjoyed the evening light across the lake"
- divisible by two
- equal in degree or extent or amount; or equally matched or balanced;
"even amounts of butter and sugar"
"on even terms"
"it was a fifty-fifty (or even) split"
"had a fifty-fifty (or even) chance"
"an even fight"
- being level or straight or regular and without variation as e.g. in shape or texture; or being in the same plane or at the same height as something else (i.e. even with);
"an even application of varnish"
"an even floor"
"the road was not very even"
"the picture is even with the window"
- symmetrically arranged;
"a regular polygon"
- occurring at fixed intervals;
"a regular beat"
"the even rhythm of his breathing"
- of the score in a contest;
"the score is tied"
- used as an intensive especially to indicate something unexpected;
"even an idiot knows that"
"declined even to consider the idea"
"I don't have even a dollar!"
- in spite of; notwithstanding;
"even when he is sick, he works"
"even with his head start she caught up with him"
- to a greater degree or extent; used with comparisons;
"looked sick and felt even worse"
"an even (or still) more interesting problem"
"still another problem must be solved"
"a yet sadder tale"
- to the full extent;
"loyal even unto death"
- make level or straight;
"level the ground"
- become even or more even;
"even out the surface"
- make even or more even
- A billiard-table must be perfectly even.
- He spoke lightly in even tones.
- Cars with license plates ending in even numbers must go in this way.
- He has an even chance of success.
- He didn't even have the decency to show me the way.
- Even the best of men ignored that simple rule.
- Even as he spoke, she entered.
- He even more likes to drink wine and not to like beer.
- It was even as he said: the jewel was gone.
- The path ran steeply up the hill and then evened out.
I met him in town but he didn't even acknowledge me.
He never even bothered to acknowledge her presence.
You can touch a hibernating animal, or even pull its tail, without causing it to move or wake up.
He had not even bought himself a new suit since coming to Beijing.
Even a child can answer it.
He didn't answer even my letter.
The farmers grew too little to feed even their own families.
He is ready, even eager, to help you.
He looked depressed, even suicidal.
She taught him to read and even to sing two or three little ballads, accompanying him on her old piano.
He came back a real hero even in the eyes of those who had not cared for him before.
They were driven to work even when they were ill.
Thieves are afraid of being overheard even when they are talking in a whisper.
Ade never fetches out his best dishes even when guests arrive.
I still don't believe in ghosts even after my experience at the Rose Inn.
You seem even more beautiful than usual today.
I dare say this will exercise an even wider influence than we expected.
The wind blew even harder yesterday than it did on Sunday.
We hope we can cooperate even more closely in the future.
On learning that her eldest son had laid down his life on the battlefield, the mother not only did her best to dam up her sorrows, but went in for her work even more energetically than ever before.
I can't even remember the name of that old friend of mine.
We haven't had any rain yet this year not even a light drizzle.
We must even this path—it's so rough.
They evened the steep road.
The bulldozers are evening the hill top.
He evened the soil with a spade.
They have evened the lawn with a roller.
She evened the edges by trimming them.
Smith's goal evened the score.
In the end we arrived at the even ground at the top of the mountain.
His even breathing showed that he had gotten over his excitement.
This wine cellar stays at an even temperature all year round.
He cut the bread into even slices.
2,4,6,8,10 are even numbers.2,4,6,8,10
The pages on the left side of a book have even numbers.
Thirteen is not divisible by any even number.13
It took a week of investigation to get an even reasonably accurate account of the accident.
She is an even tempered wife.
Her teeth were white and even.
I'd say the two players are prettily even.
The child's pulse is now even.
Mr. Johnson has a lot of debts, but in a few years he will get even.
The two horses were even in the race.
The two boxers were even in strength and skill.
The picture is even with the window.
The water was even with the rim of the basin.
He won the first game and I won the second, so now I'm even with him.
He cut the bushes even with the fence.
He tried to keep his voice even.
- break even
不盈不亏 show neither profit nor loss
We need to take ￡5200 each performance just to break even. 我们每场演出需收入5200英镑才够本。
- 不盈不亏 show neither profit nor loss
- even as
正当…的时候 just at the same moment as
Even as she was going out, the telephone rang. 正当她要外出时,电话铃响了。
Even as the sun was shining brightly, it began to rain. 就在阳光灿烂的时候,下起雨来了。
- 正当…的时候 just at the same moment as
- even if〔though〕
即使,纵然 no matter if
Even if we could afford it, we wouldn't go abroad for our holidays. 即使我们有能力,我们也不去外国度假。
He is determined to stick out the race even if he finishes last. 他下定决心即使跑最后一名,也要坚持跑完。
I will help him finish his work even though I have to stay up all night. 即使要干通宵,我也要帮他把工作做完。
She would not say a word even though the enemy threatened to burn her. 尽管敌人威胁要烧死她,但她依然只字未说。
Bob always enjoys sailing, even though the weather is cloudy. 鲍勃总是很喜欢航行,即使空中乌云密布。
- 即使,纵然 no matter if
- even so
虽然如此,即使如此 in spite of what has happened
It was raining, but even so we had to go out. 天在下雨,尽管这样我们也不得不外出。
There will probably be many people after the job but even so I'd still apply for it if I were you. 也许会有许多人想得到这份工作,但即便如此,如果我是你的话,我仍然会申请的。
The new method is not perfect; even so, it's much better than the old one. 新的方法并不完美,但即使如此,它比老的方法要好得多。
It has many omissions, even so, it is quite a useful reference book. 这本书有许多遗漏之处,尽管如此,尚不失为一本有用的参考书。
- 虽然如此,即使如此 in spite of what has happened
- even then
尽管那样 though that is true
Difficulties were increasing.Even then we did not lose heart. 尽管困难在增加,但我们毫不灰心。
- 尽管那样 though that is true
- even between( v.+prep. )
在…之间均等 be equal between two things even between sb/sth
Odds have evened between the champions.争夺冠军的两名选手得胜的机会均等。
Odds have evened between the contestants for the championship.锦标赛参加者之间分数拉平了。
- 在…之间均等 be equal between two things even between sb/sth
- even off〔out〕 (v.+adv.)
- 〔说明〕 even off〔out〕通常不用于被动结构。
变平 become level even off〔out〕
The ground evens out on the other side of the mountain.山的那边,地变得平坦了。even sth ⇔ off〔out〕
He raked the soil to even it out.他把土耙平。
The workers are busy evening out the surface of the road with a roller.工人们忙着用压路机压平路面。
(使)平稳; (使)均衡 become equal even off〔out〕
I'll pay this time, you pay next; it's evened off in the long run.这次我来付,下次你来付,最后还是大家平摊嘛。
Prices should even out when the crops are gathered.庄稼收获时,物价应该稳定下来。even sth ⇔ off〔out〕
We must even off the differences between social classes.我们一定要消灭社会各阶级之间的差别。
The reservoir can even out the flow of the river by controlling floods in rainy seasons and releasing water in dry periods.水库通过雨季蓄洪和在旱季泄洪来调节河流的流量。
If Jane would do some of Mary's typing, that would even the work out.如果简愿意分担玛丽的一些打字任务,她们两人的工作就一样多了。用于 be ～ed 结构
It is much better if payments can be evened out on a monthly basis.如果能按月付款那就更好了。
- even up (v.+adv.)
(使)相等 make sth more equal even sth ⇔ up
You've paid for the meal,I'll pay for the taxi to even things up.你已付了饭钱,我将付出租车费,这样就扯平了。
Ten years had evened up their position.经过十年岁月,他们的地位已经相当。
If you two sit at the other table, that should even up our groups.如果你们俩坐另一张桌子,我们两组人数就相等了。
A little more weight on this side will even up the balance.这边再加重一点,两边就平衡了。
John did better in the maths exam than Jim and that evened up their marks.这次数学考试约翰的分数比吉姆高,他们的得分就拉平了。
The visitors evened up the score with an unexpected goal two minutes before half-time.在上半场结束前两分钟,客队意外地进了一个球,把比分拉平。
This payment should even up our account.这次付款可以把我们的账还了。
- (使)相等 make sth more equal even sth ⇔ up
- even up on( v.+adv.+prep. )
〈美·非正〉回报 return a favour to sb even up on sb
We can even up on Bill and Alice by look-ing after their children next week.我们下周可以给比尔和艾丽斯照看孩子来回报他们。
- 〈美·非正〉回报 return a favour to sb even up on sb
- an even chance
可能性相等 an equally balanced probability
I'd say he has an even chance of winning the match. 我认为他赢这场比赛有一半的机会。
- 可能性相等 an equally balanced probability
- be (get) even with
向某人报复 have〔get〕 one's revenge on sb
Bill swore he'd get even with his brother, who'd played a dirty trick on him. 比尔上了哥哥的当,发誓要报复。
He cheated me, but I'll get even with him one day. 他骗了我,有朝一日我会报复他的。
- 向某人报复 have〔get〕 one's revenge on sb
- on an even keel
(生活等)稳定 maintaining steady undisturbed progress (in life)
It took him a long time to get back on an even keel after his wife died. 妻子死后很久,他的情绪才稳定下来。
- (生活等)稳定 maintaining steady undisturbed progress (in life)
- even off edges 磨平边缘
- even out the differences 消除差别
- even out the soil 把土铲平
- even up 结清账目,使相等,使平衡
- even up accounts 结清账目
- even up the groups 使每组人数相等
- even country 平坦的原野
- even exchange 公平交易
- even grain 均匀纹理
- even life 单调的生活
- even surface 平滑的表面
- even temper 沉静的性情
- even temperature 稳定的温度
- even weight 相等的重量
Bring it to my house this even.出自：R. Kipling
The even rhythm of the breathing.出自：T. H. Huxley
Every tale was told in the even, passionless voice of the native-born.出自：R. Kipling
Would ye even a beast to a man?出自：C. Reade
Let your love even with my life decay.出自：Sonnets,Shakespeare
The souls even while you speak Have slipped out of our bond.出自：Yeats
He made his prayer (Even as you and I!).出自：R. Kipling
I looked back at Flora..and even as I looked I saw that she was starting to cry.出自：I. Murdoch
He's even rude to the police.
He can't even write his own name.
Even you try again, you may not succeed.
Even I have not heard of her for a year.
I have not even heard of her for a year.
I have not heard of her even for a year.
Even so,she will do well not to be over-nervous.
- not even表示一种反面的意外事情,指连最低级限度的情况或最小的事物都不存在。
- 在下面的用法中, even可作“甚至可以说”解。例如:He is willing, even eager, to do it.他很乐意,甚至可以说迫不及待地想做这件事。
In the coldest day he will go skiing.即使在最冷的日子,他仍要去滑雪。It was cold yesterday, but it's even colder today.昨天冷,今天更冷了。
- even有时可插在动词不定式符号to和动词原形中间,即所谓分裂不定式。例如:It is too heavy for me to even lift.它很重,我都掀不动它。
- even out的意思是“(使)平稳〔衡〕,压平”; even up的意思是“拉平,使相抵,使相等,使平衡”; even up on sb 的意思是“向某人报答”。
- even在句中可用作定语,表语或补语。其比较级和最高级有evener, evenest和more even, most even两种形式。
- even as, even when
- even if, even though
这两个短语都可作“即使,纵使”解,用来引导让步状语从句,一般可以换用。其细微差别是:1.even if多用于口语中,而even though多用于书面语中。例如:
2.even if引导的让步从句,所说的是一种假设兼让步; 而even though引导的让步从句所指的则是事实兼让步。试比较:
- Even if you don't like wine, try a glass of this.
- They will stand by you even though you don't succeed.
- Even if he loves her, he can't marry her.
- Even though he loves her, he can't marry her.
- Even I am not disturbed by Joe's threats.
- I am not even disturbed by Joe's threats.
- I am not disturbed even by Joe's threats.
- Even I have not heard of him for two years.
- I have not even heard of him for two years.
- I have not heard of him even for two years.
误 Even he comes in person,I won't lend him my car.
正 Even if〔though〕 he comes in person,I won't lend him my car.
析 作“即使”解时, even常与if〔though〕连用,引导让步状语从句。
误 Even although he couldn't swim, he jumped straight into the water.
正 Even though he couldn't swim, he jumped straight into the water.
误 Of all the racing cars, the No. 2 is running even fastest.
正 Of all the racing cars, the No. 2 is running fastest by far.
误 Even if that's true, but it doesn't make any difference.
正 Even if that's true, it doesn't make any difference.
析 even if引导状语从句时,不可受汉语影响而赘用连词but。
误 His sister broke all her toys. She even has broken her bike.
正 His sister broke all her toys. She has even broken her bike.
误 He's rude to everybody. He even is rude to his father.
正 He's rude to everybody. He's even rude to his father.
误 Her breathing even told us that she was fast asleep.
正 Her even breathing told us that she was fast asleep.
错句：she got very angry;even she told me to get out of the house.
纠正：she got very angry;she even told me to get out of the house.
错句：even i was about to leave,they arrived.
纠正：even as i was about to leave,they arrived.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的eefn；最初源自古日耳曼语的ebnaz，意为平的，相等的。
- even:even adj. 平的, 平滑的, 偶数的, 一致的, 平静的, 恰好的, 平均的, 连贯的adv. [加强语气]甚至(...也), 连...都, 即使, 恰好, 正当vt. 使平坦, 使相等vi.…