- adj. 缺席的；不在的；缺乏的
- vt. 使缺席
- 缺席的,不在的 not present; not in a place because of illness, etc.
- 没有的，缺乏的 not existing; lacking; not present in sth
- 心不在焉的; 走神的 showing that you are not really looking at or thinking about what is happening around you
- vt. 缺席,不参加,不在 not go to or be in a place where you are expected to be
not being in a specified place
"the thumb is absent"
"her appetite was lacking"
lost in thought; showing preoccupation;
"an absent stare"
"an absentminded professor"
"the scatty glancing quality of a hyperactive but unfocused intelligence"
go away or leave;
"He absented himself"
- Professor Li is absent, I will take the lesson in the place of him.
- Many students were absent, notably the monitor.
- You should not be absent from class.
- Before such experiments, humans thought language skills were absent from the animal kingdom.
- Why did you absent yourself from school yesterday?
- After the party he telephoned his absent friends.
- The absent party is always to blame.
- He had an absent look on his face.
- He listened with an absent air and kept glancing at the door.
- He is a reckless driver and often drives in an absent way.
- When I spoke to him, he looked at me in an absent way and didn't answer.
- Three members of the class are absent today.
- It would be less embarrassing to have a bath while Phillip was absent.
- In the Manx type of cat, the tail is absent.
- In that province a conventional political system was absent.
- His look had grown absent, as if he were calling up memories.
- She was absent, preoccupied.
- He was absent at roll call.
- I want permission to be absent for a week.
- At times he would be absent for a couple of days.
- She was absent for no more than ten minutes.
- He's been absent from work all week.
- I'll be absent from home in the afternoon.
- Several students are absent from school today.
- Who is absent from the meeting?
- She was absent from work〔school〕 with a cold.
- I was absent from the meeting with leave.
- He was absent from his work without leave.
- Any sign of remorse was completely absent from her face.
- The secretary is absent from mind today.
- Calcium is absent from his diet.
- Love was totally absent from my childhood.
- Parental affection is absent from these children's lives.
- Revenge is absent from his mind.
- Something which is still absent from your work is any reference to class.
- He is absent in Beijing.
- Snow is absent in some countries.
- This idiom is absent in that dictionary.
- He is absent on business.
- How many of them are absent without permission?
- The absent are never without fault, nor the present without excuse.
- Many absented this afternoon, appearing neither in person nor proxy.
- Saying “ Would you please excuse me for a minute”, he absented himself.
- The student absented himself without notice.
- He absented himself from the picnic.
- He had absented himself from the office for the day.
- He absented himself from the meeting without good reason.
- The club attempted to induce its members to absent themselves from the bar.
- absent at roll call 点名时不在
- absent for an indefinite period 无限期缺席
- absent from someplace 不在某地
- absent from a meeting 未出席会议
- absent from home 不在家
- absent from one's native place 背井离乡
- absent from school 缺课
- absent from work 缺勤
- absent in one's mind 心不在焉
- absent in someplace 在某地,而不在说话人所在地
- absent on a tour 外出旅行
- absent without leave 擅自缺席,擅离职守
- absent without reason 无故缺席
Absent officers were summoned.出自： James Mill
If he absents himself from her side.出自： D. Runyon
- 指某人不在某地用absent from，如absent from Shanghai意为“不在上海”，而说某人absent in Shanghai时，则是指“在上海”；
涉及到不会动的东西时，absent in ...意为“不在……里”或“在……里没有”，可参考absence， 但是有特例。
Prejudice is absent from his mind.
- be absent from, be absent in
- 这两个短语在接表示地点的名词时,含意不同：be absent from的意思是“不在…(地方)”; be absent in的意思是“在某地,而不在说话人所在地”。试比较：
- He was absent from London.
- He was absent in London.
- ☆ 14世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自中世纪法语的absent；最初源自拉丁语的absentem，意为离开的原因。
- vague v.
- cause to be not present
- fail to attend
- keep away
- not appear
- play truant
- stay away
- absently adv. 心不在焉地; 出神地‖ absentee n. 缺席者‖absenteeism n. (经常无故)旷工; 旷课