- 离开,向别处,在别处 not here; from this or that place; to or at another place
- 离,远离 to or at a distance
- 消失…掉; 完 to an end; none, so that there is less; so as to be gone or used up
- 一直…下去; 继续 all the time
not present; having left;
"he's away right now"
"you must not allow a stranger into the house when your mother is away"
used of an opponent's ground;
"an away game"
(of a baseball pitch) on the far side of home plate from the batter;
"the pitch was away (or wide)"
"an outside pitch"
from a particular thing or place or position (`forth' is obsolete);
"ran away from the lion"
"wanted to get away from there"
"sent the children away to boarding school"
"the teacher waved the children away from the dead animal"
"went off to school"
"they drove off"
"go forth and preach"
from one's possession;
"he gave out money to the poor"
"gave away the tickets"
out of the way (especially away from one's thoughts);
"brush the objections aside"
"pushed all doubts away"
out of existence;
"the music faded away"
"tried to explain away the affair of the letter"
"idled the hours away"
"her fingernails were worn away"
at a distance in space or time;
"the boat was 5 miles off (or away)"
"the party is still 2 weeks off (or away)"
"away back in the 18th century"
indicating continuing action; continuously or steadily;
"he worked away at the project for more than a year"
"the child kept hammering away as if his life depended on it"
so as to be removed or gotten rid of;
"cleared the mess away"
"the rotted wood had to be cut away"
freely or at will;
in or into a proper place (especially for storage or safekeeping);
"put the toys away"
"her jewels are locked away in a safe"
"filed the letter away"
in a different direction;
"turn away one's face"
in reserve; not for immediate use;
"started setting aside money to buy a car"
"put something by for her old age"
"has a nest egg tucked away for a rainy day"
- He lives 3 miles away from here.
- I hope to get away early in the morning.
- He lives in retirement, away from everyone.
- I tried to keep the child away from the pool.
- Far away in the distance, a train whistled.
- We stand on the top of the dam, casting our eyes far away.
- The baby is sleeping away quietly.
- I found him working away in his office.
- She looked away as peach flooded her cheeks.
- The radiance of the sunset died away.
- The sound fainted away in the distance.
- The neighbors are away.
- The city is miles away.
- The count is three and two with two away in the seventh.
- They lost all their away matches.
- We lost two games in the away game.
- Go away!
- Some birds flew away.
- Brooks got angry and away he went.
- People began to move away.
- He jumped off the police van and ran away.
- He rode away at full speed.
- They filed away for the north.
- He swam away from the ship.
- If the chicken is properly cooked, the meat will come away from the bones very easily.
- He hurried away in the opposite direction.
- He sneaked away into the crowd coming out of the stadium.
- I pulled the rotten wood and it came away without difficulty.
- Cage has run away with her music teacher.
- He stayed a long time but went away at last.
- They went away shopping.
- She rushed away to see the procession.
- I just live a few doors away.
- Keep away from the transformer.
- He always keeps some distance away from her.
- She was ill and stayed away from school for a few days.
- The teacher told John to stay away from the members of the youth gangs.
- The football team is playing away this weekend.
- The sounds of their footsteps died away.
- The noise gradually faded away.
- The water has boiled away.
- When the spring came, the snow began to melt away.
- He passed away at eighty.
- The morning slipped away quickly.
- His illness will soon pass away.
- The rubber soles have almost worn away.
- I tried to remove the grease spots from the wall but they wouldn't wash away.
- He made away with himself.
- She worked away at her job.
- He sawed away at the thick branch till at last it was cut through.
- Mr. Smith worked away in his garden.
- They worked away until dark.
- She was laughing away all morning.
- He was grumbling away all afternoon.
- The old man dug away in his garden.
- He is still hammering away.It is driving me mad.
- They talked away in the park until it was quite dark.
- He has been working away without a rest ever since breakfast.
- The soldiers fired away until they had no ammunition left.
- She took no notice of the soup in the pot and let it boil away.
- The river was eating away at the banks.
- He is still away.
- My brother was away.He wouldn't be home from his new job for an hour.
- The boy hasn't been away from home before.
- The editor-in-chief is away from the town.
- She is away in the countryside.
- My wife is away on business.
- She had been away on a long trip.
- How long will he be away?
- The manager is away for a few weeks.
- We must try to be away by 7 o'clock.
- I told her that I was going to be away a long time.
- Soon, he was away in his new 16-meter boat,Gipsy Moth.
- I must be away.
- I would have come to see you if I hadn't been away visiting the exhibition.
- Selection Day is only 10 days away.
- He said that the sun is 92 million miles away.
- The bridge is three miles away.
- The station is about 11 miles away from here.
- The park is one kilometer away from here.
- The post office is five minutes' walk away.
- We discovered too that the conference will start at 5:00 p.m. Washington time or five hours away.
- Don't turn me away.I've got something to say to you.
- The police drove the crowd away.
- They ordered the guard away.
- She impatiently waved him away and went on with her work.
- The doctor was called away a moment ago.
- He has been summoned away for some job.
- I had never liked the speaker much, but soon I found myself carried away by his eloquence.
- The surgeon cut away his tumour with expert skill.
- When you boiled the cabbage, strain away the water through a colander.
- I'll clear these dishes away; then we'll be able to work at the table.
- Who has taken my dictionary away?
- Please clear your papers away so I can serve dinner.
- The boy threw a few old books away.
- Why don't you throw it away?
- He gives his hopes away.
- They rolled the barrel away.
- She gave the answer away accidentally.
- The barking of the dog frightened the children away.
- Mountain torrents washed everything away.
- The fire has burned away the paint on the wood.
- Your explanation will clear away their misunderstanding.
- He took his basketball away from me.
- They carried away from the palace 100 cases of paintings and other works of art.
- The medicine should be kept away from children.
- He gave all his books away to his friends.
- The firemen rushed the wounded men away to the hospital.
- He sent his son away to school in Japan.
- away there
在那儿 over there
- far and away
最最,远远,…得多 by far
- far away
遥远,久远 to or at a very long distance
- right〔straight〕 away
立刻,马上 immediately; at once; without delay
- attract away 吸引走
- back away 为了让出地方而后退,由于害怕而后退; 不愿考虑
- bang away 不断射击
- bargain away 不停地讨价还价; 将(某物)廉价出售,交换出去; 轻易放弃
- batter away 接连不断地打〔砸〕
- be away 离开,不在
- blast away 炸掉〔炸毁〕某物
- blaze away 继续燃烧
- blink away 眨眼以除去
- blow away (使)吹掉
- boil away 煮干
- bound away 跳跃着离开
- break away 突然离开; 突然挣脱; 与…决裂; 从…退出; 改掉; 放弃
- bring away 带着…离开
- bundle away (使)匆匆离去
- burn away 不断地燃烧
- call away 叫走,叫到别处; 转移(某人的注意力等)
- carry away 拿走,带走,搬走; 使激动,使着迷
- chase away 赶走,驱逐
- chat away 闲谈
- chew away 继续吃; 咬坏
- chip away 拆掉,削掉,铲除; 凿〔敲〕下碎片
- chop away 砍倒
- civilize away 教育使其改掉
- clean away 除去
- come away 离开
- consume away 毁掉,毁灭
- crawl away 爬开
- cut away 切,剪; 去掉; 切成,剪成; 迅速离开
- dance away 用跳舞驱除; 蹦跳着跑开
- dart away 飞奔而逃
- dash away 匆忙离开; 匆忙抹去…
- die away (尤指声音、光、风)逐渐消失,停止; 昏厥
- dig away 连续挖; 挖开,挖松,挖走
- dissolve away 消失; 消散
- drag away 将…拉走; 将…硬拖走
- drain away (使)流走〔去〕; (使)吸引走
- draw away (使)离开,移开; (在竞争中)领先于他人〔物〕
- dream away 在梦幻〔胡思乱想〕中虚度光阴
- drink away 连续地喝酒; 饮酒消愁
- drive away 驱车离开; 把…驱开,赶走
- drop away 陡峭; 减少,下降
- eat away 连续不断地吃; 侵蚀,腐蚀,锈蚀; 咬坏,蛀坏
- edge away 悄悄离开(尤指侧着身子); 慢慢启航
- explain away 为…辩解〔搪塞〕
- face away 把脸转到一边
- fade away 消失; 衰弱
- faint away 昏过去; 消失
- fall away 离开; 消瘦
- file away 存档(备查); 锉掉
- fill away 顺风行驶
- fine away (使)更好; (使)渐渐消失
- fire away 连续射击; 〈非正〉开始; 热烈地谈; 发问
- flap away (使)移动
- flee away 逃离
- fling away 扔掉,丢弃; 错过(机会等); 荒废,浪费(某物)
- flow away 流逝
- flush away 冲掉
- fly away 离开,飞离
- fog away 开始射击
- fold away 折叠起来收藏
- fool away 浪费
- frighten away 吓跑,吓走
- gamble away 赌下去; 赌博输掉钱
- get away 离开,脱身; 逃掉
- give away 赠送; 赠予; 颁发; 泄露; 告发
- go away 离开; 私奔
- grab away 抢过某物
- grind away 把…碾成粉末; 磨损,用坏…
- haul away 拖走; 用力拉
- hide away 隐藏
- howl away 连续嚎叫
- huddle away 挤在一起
- hurl away 用力地把(某物)扔出去; 浪费掉(某物)
- hurry away 匆匆离去
- idle away 虚度时光; 空转
- jump away 跳开
- keep away (使)不接近; (使)缺席
- kick away 连续踢; 踢倒; 踢开
- kiss away 不停地吻; 吻掉; 由于放荡而挥霍掉
- knock away 连续敲击; 打掉,敲掉
- laugh away 连续地笑; 一笑置之; 以笑来驱除〔消除〕
- lay away 储蓄,贮存; 埋葬
- leak away 漏出; 逐渐失去
- linger away 虚度(时间)
- loaf away 虚度
- lock away 把…锁起来
- look away 不再看(某人或某物)
- lounge away 虚度
- lower away 放艘下小船,降下帆篷
- make away 逃跑
- melt away 融化; 逐渐消失
- motion away 示意…离开
- move away 离开
- mutter away 喃喃而语,咕哝地抱怨
- pass away (时间等)消磨掉,过去; 去世; 终止; 停止
- pine away 消瘦; 憔悴
- pipe away 不断地吹奏
- post away 把…派往它处
- promise away 答应送掉
- pull away (尤指车辆)开始移动
- push away 继续推; 推开
- put away 收起来,放好
- refine away 取去
- remain away 缺席
- ride away 骑马〔坐车〕离去
- roll away 消散
- run away 逃跑,走掉; 逃脱
- sail away 坐船离开
- saw away 不断地锯; 锯去
- scrape away 用利物刮,擦掉
- scratch away 抓,刮
- send away 遣走,解雇
- shift away 搬走
- shine away 连续照耀; 向一旁照
- shoot away 连续射击; 打掉,打落; 打光,射完; 迅速逃离
- sigh away 连声悲叹
- sign away 签字让出〔放弃〕
- sing away 连续唱; 通过歌唱消除掉
- skim away 把…撇去; 掠过; 轻轻滑开
- sleep away 继续睡,连续睡; 以睡觉度过(时间); 以睡眠摆脱(烦恼)
- smooth away 消除,弄平
- square away 整理好,处理好
- stand away 站开
- stay away 离开,缺席
- steal away 偷偷离去; 偷走(某物)
- stop away 停在远处不过来
- store away 储存某物,收起某物; 把…记在心里
- strip away 掉表面的薄覆盖物; 〈非正〉揭开(伪装)
- sweep away 扫除,刮走,冲走; 清除
- swim away 游走
- take away 拿开,拿走; 把…带走; 使离开; 使停止; 转移; 减去; 剥夺; 夺取; 抢夺
- talk away 不断地谈
- tear away 勉强使离开; 硬行拉走
- throw away 扔掉; 浪费; 错过
- thrust away 把…推开
- turn away 转过脸去; 拒绝(某人)进入
- walk away 走开
- wash away 冲走,清洗; 消除
- waste away 变得衰弱〔消瘦〕
- wave away 挥手示意…离开
- wear away 磨损,磨掉,侵蚀; 消逝; 衰退
- weather away 风化,因风吹雨打而褪色
- weep away 不停地哭泣
- whip away 突然,猛地移开
- wipe away 擦掉,清除
- wish away 继续表达个人的愿望; 希望…离开〔消失〕
- work away 不断地工作
- write away 写信(索要); 连续写作
Come away, come away, death; And in sad cypress let me be laid.出自：Twelfth Night , Shakespeare
And now come awa' to your bed.出自： R. L. Stevenson
- 除用于动词之后组成短语动词的情况之外, away在句中主要用作状语、表语或补语。偶尔也可用作定语,这时必须前置而不可后置。
He came to China away back in 1950.
This specimen is away below the average.
- away, off
- 这两个词的共同意思是“离开”,在blaze, brush, clear, crawl, file, go, make, ride, roll, run, rush, send, set, start, swim, walk, wave等动词之后可换用,意思上没有多大差别。其区别是：
- 1.在含义上：away表示“距离”(distance), off表示“分开”(separation)。away强调“不在本地”(not here), off强调到“另一地方”(from one point to another)。试比较以下两句：
- He ran away ten minutes ago.
- Where did he run off to?—To his neigh- bour's.
- 他跑到哪儿去了?——跑到邻居那里 去了。
- make away〔off〕 with
- 偷走; 挥霍掉
- make away with
- Put away the coat.
- Take off the coat.
- Keep off the grass.匆踏草地!
- Cage is away in Beijing.
- Cage is away from Beijing.
- Cage is away for Beijing.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的aweg，意为从此地始。