- vt. & vi. 停止,中断 cease moving; break off
- vt. 塞住,堵塞 fill or close sth by plugging or obstructing; block sth
- vt. 阻止,阻挠 prevent sb from doing sth or sth from happening
- vt. & vi. 逗留,停留,歇宿 stay; stop one's journey
- [C] 停止,中止; 停留,逗留 act of stopping or state of being stopped
- [C] 停车站 place where a bus, train, etc. stops regularly
- [C] 标点符号,句号 punctuation, especially a full stop
the event of something ending;
"it came to a stop at the bottom of the hill"
the act of stopping something;
"the third baseman made some remarkable stops"
"his stoppage of the flow resulted in a flood"
a brief stay in the course of a journey;
"they made a stopover to visit their friends"
the state of inactivity following an interruption;
"the negotiations were in arrest"
"held them in check"
"during the halt he got some lunch"
"the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"
"he spent the entire stop in his seat"
a spot where something halts or pauses;
"his next stop is Atlanta"
a consonant produced by stopping the flow of air at some point and suddenly releasing it;
"his stop consonants are too aspirated"
a punctuation mark (.) placed at the end of a declarative sentence to indicate a full stop or after abbreviations;
"in England they call a period a stop"
(music) a knob on an organ that is pulled to change the sound quality from the organ pipes;
"the organist pulled out all the stops"
a mechanical device in a camera that controls size of aperture of the lens;
"the new cameras adjust the diaphragm automatically"
a restraint that checks the motion of something;
"he used a book as a stop to hold the door open"
an obstruction in a pipe or tube;
"we had to call a plumber to clear out the blockage in the drainpipe"
come to a halt, stop moving;
"the car stopped"
"She stopped in front of a store window"
put an end to a state or an activity;
"Quit teasing your little brother"
stop from happening or developing;
"Block his election"
"Halt the process"
interrupt a trip;
"we stopped at Aunt Mary's house"
"they stopped for three days in Florence"
cause to stop;
"stop a car"
"stop the thief"
"stop the project"
"break off the negotiations"
hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of;
"Arrest the downward trend"
"Check the growth of communism in South East Asia"
"Contain the rebel movement"
"Turn back the tide of communism"
seize on its way;
"The fighter plane was ordered to intercept an aircraft that had entered the country's airspace"
have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical;
"the bronchioles terminate in a capillary bed"
"Your rights stop where you infringe upon the rights of other"
"My property ends by the bushes"
"The symphony ends in a pianissimo"
render unsuitable for passage;
"block the way"
"barricade the streets"
"stop the busy road"
stop and wait, as if awaiting further instructions or developments;
"Hold on a moment!"
- The train stopped at the station.
- His heart has stopped.
- They would stop the rich from robbing the poor.
- I only just managed to stop myself from shouting at him.
- They stopped to talk when they met on the street.
- I am going to stop over at New York City.
- They put a stop to the evils.
- The red light is a warning sign for stop.
- They had a stop for a few days in New York.
- She is likely to be waiting us at the bus stop.
- Has the rain stopped yet?
- What's the time?My watch has stopped.
- His heart has stopped.
- He began to speak but suddenly stopped.
- We will work for an hour and then stop.
- Are you stopping to tea?I'm not stopping.
- They stopped for three days in Chicago.
- I'm feeling a little tired; I think I'll stop here a few minutes more.
- He stopped to take a breath.
- We stopped to have a little rest.
- The bus stopped to put down passengers.
- He stopped to talk with his friends.
- She stopped to lean against a weeping willow.
- He stopped and saw what effect his words had produced.
- He was running so fast that he couldn't stop himself.
- He told the driver to stop the jeep.
- We'll never stop our march.
- The boy stopped the ratholes.
- I am stopping the holes in the wall with cement.
- She stopped her mouth.
- Let him go. Don't stop him.
- If you wish to take part in the competition, nobody's stopping you.
- Before we could stop him, he slid out.
- I'm sure he'll go, there's nothing to stop him.
- Everyone knows how serious the danger is, and does something to stop it.
- He stopped my wages.
- She'll soon come back if we stop her allowance.
- Stop the thief!
- I was stopped by a stranger and I pointed to him the way to a nearby bus stop.
- Why has our gas been stopped?
- Cos,I've been stopped.
- We could not stop laughing.
- Her heart seemed to stop beating.
- First stop bleeding.
- He stopped considering it.
- Even if we fail, we will not stop trying.
- You must stop smoking.It's bad for you.
- What can stop our going if we want to go?
- You must stop her telling them.
- If I can stop them going there,I'll do it.
- I wish you'd stop him playing that trumpet.
- What stops you coming?
- The rain stopped us going.
- How can we stop them landing?
- Nothing is ever going to stop them talking.
- I can't stop myself thinking.
- She could not stop the child crying.
- Do stop what you're doing.
- Her sudden stop startled us.
- The train goes through without a stop.
- We went straight there; we didn't make any stop on the way.
- The bus rolled to a stop.
- That moment's stop cost the U.S. team its lead.
- The strike caused a stop in construction.
- There is a stop up ahead.
- We wondered where the next stop would be.
- Where is the nearest bus stop?
- Which stop shall I catch the bus at?
- Turn left at the bus stop.
- We'll get off at the next stop.
- This train runs from Beijing to Shanghai without stop.
- This train goes from London to Leeds with only two stops.
- There is a full stop at the end of a sentence.
- When you write a sentence, you must begin with a capital letter and end with a full stop.
- ［p］ , ［t］ and ［k］ are stops. ［p］ , ［t］
和 ［k］ 是闭锁辅音。
- stop at( v.+prep. )
无所不为; 肆无忌惮 not be worried about anything
stop at sth
The express train does not stop at this station.
I stopped at the first word I didn't recognize.
碰见第一个不认得的单词,我就停下来了。stop at sth
The long gown stopped at his ankles.
长袍拖到他脚踝。stop at sth
Which hotel are you stopping at?
I stopped for a week at my friend's house.
我在朋友家里吃住了一星期。stop at sth
He's stopping at Tom's in town.
他正在城里汤姆家作客。stop at sth
Don't stop at the face value of the word.
It didn't stop at the top of the news but illuminated the dark underside of the news.
它不只是浮光掠影地报道新闻,而是揭开了这条新闻的不为人知的内幕。stop at nothing
The greedy boss stopped at nothing to gain profit.
They stopped at nothing to undermine the national liberation movement.
They will stop at nothing to achieve their aims.
He would stop at nothing when he wanted something very badly.
- stop away from( v.+adv.+prep. )
不在; 不出席 stay away from; not be present
stop away from sth
What made you stop away from that lecture?
He stopped away from the lecture when he found out it wasn't interesting.
Many of his former supporters disapproved of his latest opinions, and stopped away from the meeting when he came to give a speech.
- stop behind ( v.+adv. )
留下来 remain after meeting; stay behind
The audience was invited to stop behind to discuss the play with its author.
If you stop behind after class,I will repeat the instructions.
- stop by1( v.+adv. )
顺便走访 make a brief call
I'll stop by on my way home.
I was in the neighborhood and so I thought I might as well stop by.
Can you stop by for a moment on your way home?We could have a cup of tea.
Are you feeling better now, or shall I ask the doctor to stop by on her way home?
Don't forget to stop by at the gas station.
- stop by2( v.+prep. )
顺便走访 make a brief call
stop by sth
She stopped by my place the other day.
Please stop by the cleaner's on your way home and collect my coat.
- stop down ( v.+adv. )
缩小光圈 reduce the effective aperture of a lens
The sun's just come out; you'll have to stop down a bit.
太阳出来了,你得把光圈收小一点。stop sth ⇔ down
Shall we stop down the lens?
- stop for( v.+prep. )
stop for sth
Please stop for dinner, we'd love to have you.
We had to find somewhere to stop for lunch.
She invited me to stop for supper but I declined.
Why don't you stop for the night at my house?
你为什么不留在我家过夜?stop for sb/sth
We stopped for the post, that is why we are late.
I'll stop for you at the crossroads.
- stop from( v.+prep. )
阻止某事发生 prevent sth from happening
stop sb/oneself/sth from v-ing
Stop him from making that noise.
I hope I'd stop him from bragging.
Parents should stop their children from telling lies.
The women tried to stop their husbands from eating too much.
The heavy rain stopped him from leaving the bookstore.
Nothing could stop me from going.
She could scarcely stop herself from crying aloud.
She had a plan to stop those birds from eating her corn.
Sadie had her hand over her mouth as if to stop herself from crying out.
Eyebrows stop sweat from coming down into the eyes.
The Great Green Wall will stop the wind from blowing the earth away.
- stop in ( v.+adv. )
留在家里; 顺便拜访 remain or stay in
Don't stop in just for me.
I've such a lot of work to do—I'll have to stop in tonight.
She used to stop in at her mother's on her way home after work in the afternoon.
I'll stop in and look after the kids.
I promised Cage that I would stop in to see her today.
- stop off( v.+adv. )
中途停下 stop for a short stay
We all stopped off at a bar.
我们都中途下车到一家酒吧去。stop off for sth
Let's stop off for a drink.
I'd like to stop off for a few days while I'm in the North to see something of the country.
我想中途在北方停留几天,看看北国风光。stop off to-v
On his way home, he stopped off in Paris to visit his friends.
On the way home I stopped off in London to attend a conference.
- stop on( v.+adv. )
留下继续读书; 留任,留在岗位上 remain at a place of study after others have left; remain in a place or position as at work
Can you persuade the manager to stop on?
He decided to stop on for an extra month in the university to make up for the time he spent while his family stayed with him.
- stop out( v.+adv. )
继续罢工 remain on strikeThe union decided to stop out until their demands were met.工会决定继续罢工,直到资方满足他们的要求为止。
- stop out of( v.+adv.+prep. )
从…中扣除 deduct sth from sth
stop sth out of sth
You can stop it out of my money.
The cost will be stopped out of your salary.
- stop over( v.+adv. )
歇宿,中途停留 stay; break a journey
She usually stops over with him in London.
Truck convoys often stop over for lunch here.
Are we allowed to stop over without additional cost?
We stopped over in Rome before continuing to Athens.
Is it possible to stop over in Chicago on my way to San Francisco?
He will stop over at Shanghai for a brief visit on his way home.
On the first night we stopped over in a small settlement.
Many motorists were forced to stop over in that town because of flood.
- stop still
停住不动 remain without moving
- stop up( v.+adv. )
封住 seal up
Please don't stop up for me,I may be in very late.
Last night we all stopped up late for listening to the important news.
昨晚我们全都熬夜听重要新闻。stop sth ⇔ up
A cork should stop it up all right.
You'll have to stop up those holes before you start painting.
You'd better stop up the small hole at the bottom of your wash-basin.
Some tried to stop up the leaks while others tried to steady the rudder.
They stopped up 120 leaks with 4000 gunny sacks.
She stopped up her ears to keep the noise out.
The drain was stopped up with fallen leaves .
The hole has been stopped up with putty.
His ears were stopped up with wax.
My nose is stopped up with the cold.
- stop with( v.+prep. )
与…暂住在一起 live with sb temporarily
stop with sb
While in London I always stop with my sister.
I want to go and stop with my brother for a couple of days.
- bring to a stop
使停止,使终止 cause sb/sth to halt
bring sth to a stop
The driver brought the bus to a stop.
The train was brought to a sudden stop.
Traffic was brought to a complete stop.
- come to a (dead, full, etc.) stop
(突然,完全)停住 stop (abruptly, totally, etc.)
- full stop
完全停止 and that's final
- pull out all the stops
竭尽全力,全力以赴 do everything possible to complete an effect or action
- put a stop to
终止或废止… stop sth from happening any more; abolish sth
- stop a bullet 中断,挂彩
- stop a gap 修,补,弥补,补空,代理
- stop a passage 堵塞通道
- stop a wound 止住伤口出血
- stop one's cheque 止付
- stop one's salary 停发工资
- stop one's teeth 补牙
- stop sb's check 拒签某人的支票
- stop sb's complaints 制止某人的抱怨
- stop sb's electricity supply 停止给某人供电
- stop sb's misconduct 制止某人的错误行为
- stop the blood 止血
- stop the bus 把公共汽车停下来
- stop the car 把轿车停下来
- stop the clock 让钟停了
- stop the fight 制止打架
- stop the game 使比赛中断
- stop the gas 停止输送气
- stop the letter 扣住信件
- stop the machine 使机器停止运转
- stop the motor 使马达停下来
- stop the nonsense 制止胡言乱语
- stop the show (观众的热烈掌声)使演出中断
- stop the supplies 断绝供应
- stop the thief 捉贼
- stop traffic 断绝交通
- stop work 让工作停下
- stop dead 突然停止
- stop halfway 半途而废
- stop indoors 呆在家里,不出门
- stop short 突然停住
- stop abruptly 突然停止
- stop constantly 不断停止
- stop effectually 有效地止住
- stop entirely 完全停顿下来
- stop imperiously 专横地断绝
- stop instantaneously 即刻断绝
- stop instinctively 本能地停住
- stop properly 适可而止
- stop suddenly 突然停止
- stop timorously 畏怯地停住
- stop unreasonably 毫无道理地停留
- stop virtually 实质上断绝
- stop away 不在,保持疏远
- stop behind 留在后面,(会后等)留下
- stop by 顺便访问
- stop down 停留在较低的位置,逗留在胃中,缩小光圈
- stop in 顺便访问
- stop in to see sb 顺便去看某人
- stop off 中途下车,中途停留
- stop on 继续停留
- stop out 呆在外面,在外面过夜,继续罢工
- stop over 中途下车,中途停留
- stop over at a place 在某地作短期逗留
- stop up 堵塞,阻碍,不去睡觉
- stop up until 12 o'clock 直到12点才去睡觉
- stop at a hotel 住在旅馆里
- stop at nothing 无所顾忌,什么都做得出
- stop at one's post 坚守岗位
- stop for 为…停下来
- stop for rest 停下来休息
- stop...from 阻止
- stop sb from smoking 阻止某人抽烟
- stop in bed 不起床
- stop in one's tracks 突然停下
- stop in the town 呆在城里
- stop off 不能出席
- stop under water 停在水下
- stop with a relative 逗留在亲戚家
- stop with the firm 继续为这家公司工作
- stop within 继续受…限制
- come to a stop 结束,告一段落
- make a stop 停一停
- miss one's stop 错过了站头
- put a stop to 使某事物停下来,制止(某事)
- put a stop to this action 禁止这种行动
- abrupt stop 突然的停留
- brief stop 短暂的停留
- dead stop 猝然停下
- full stop 完全停止,句号
- regular stop 定班汽车的停车站
- smooth stop 平稳地停下
- sudden stop 突然的停留
- bus stop 公共汽车站
- flag stop 信号停车站
- lunch stop (工厂等)停车吃午饭的时间
- pit stop 加油停车,中途停车,中途停车点
- request stop 招手停车站
- streetcar stop 有轨电车停靠站
- tram stop 有轨电车停靠站
- truck stop 卡车停车场
- wage stop 失业补助限额
- whistle stop (只有火车站发信号才鸣笛停车的)小车站
- stop drill 钻头
- stop gap 权宜之计,补缺者
- stop key 风琴音钮
- stop lever 阻杆
- stop light 红灯,停车灯
- stop screw 停止拧螺钉
- stop sign 道路交叉点设置的停车标志
- stop watch 跑表,记秒表
- stop work 防止钟表发条上得过紧的装置
If people only made prudent marriages, what a stop to population there would be!出自： Thackeray
The..carriage stopping the way.出自：Society
- stop的基本意思是“停止,止住”,指动作、运动、活动或某项进程的中止,或运动中的物体的中止,有短期或突然停止的意味。引申可表示“逗留; 休息”“填塞,阻塞(道路)”“阻止,拦住”“拒绝给予或允许,止付,扣留”等。
- stop sb v -ing和stop sb from v -ing两种结构意思相近,前者多用于表示“制止某人正在做的动作”,后者多用于表示“阻止某人尚未进行的动作”,但并不绝对。
- stop也可作“标点符号,句点”解,英式英语把“句号”叫a full stop,而美国人称之为a period。
- 在音乐术语里, stop可表示“风琴的排列的管子”“球状或杆状的音栓”“管乐器上的按孔”等。
- 在语音学术语里, stop可作“塞音”解,指气流受阻后突然释放发出的辅音,又称闭锁辅音。
- stop v-ing, stop to-v
- 两者所表示的含义不同:“stop+动名词”表示停止(由动名词表示的)某动作; 而“stop+动词不定式”表示停下来(正在做的某事)而去做(由动词不定式表示的)另一动作,这个动词不定式不是stop的宾语,而是目的状语,相当于in order to- v 。试比较:
- When the teacher came into the classroom, the students stopped talking.
- They stopped to listen, but there was no sound.
- 他们停下来仔细地听,但什么也听不 见。
- stop, arrest, check
- 这三个词均可表示“阻止”,其区别在于:stop是一般用语,指使任何一种前进或运动事物的停止; arrest指有力地阻止,通常指有意识的行动; check指突然或有力地阻止,有时也指短暂地阻止。例如:
- A driver uses brakes to arrest his car's speed.司机用刹车降低车速。
- An awning over the sidewalk checked his fall.人行道上的天篷阻止了他的跌落。
- stop, desist
- 1.stop使用得较广泛,可用在正式或非正式场合; desist是一个非常正式的词,尤指通过自制或客观地权衡之后认为成功希望不大而克制、阻止。例如:
- Once I'm determined to do a thing, no one can stop me from doing it.一旦我下决心做一件事情,没有人能够阻止我去做它。
- He finally desisted in his fruitless efforts to find the missing heir.他最终放弃了寻找失踪继承人的毫无结果的努力。
- 2.stop可用作及物动词,后面可直接接名词或动名词; desist是不及物动词,常与from连用。例如:
- The enemy's fire power couldn't stop their advance.敌人的火力不能阻止他们前进。
- Seeing that I am coming, they stopped talking.看见我来了,他们停止了谈话。
- The government ordered them to cease and desist from false advertising.政府命令停止和终止做虚假广告。
- stop, cease, discontinue, halt
- 1.在指某种状态或活动的结束时, stop和cease可以互换。
- stop, cease, pause
- They stopped for a brief rest.他们停下来休息片刻。
- He began to speak but suddenly stopped.他开始讲话,但又突然停住了。
- Seeing that I was coming, they stopped talking.看见我来了,他们停止了谈话。
- She could not stop the child crying.她止不住孩子的哭声。
- The storm has ceased.暴风雨停止了。
- His influence ceased with his death.他的影响已随着他去世而消失了。
- He ceased from teaching.他结束了教书生涯。
- At last they have ceased work.最后他们停止工作了。
- stop up, sit up, stay up
- 这三个短语均可表示“熬夜”。其用法区别在于：sit up和stay up常跟现在分词短语,表示伴随动作; 而stop up常跟动词不定式表示目的。例如:
- They sat up all night discussing these questions.他们整宿没睡,讨论这些问题。
- We stayed up until midnight talking about our work.我们谈论工作一直到深夜还没睡。
- I stopped up to watch the match.我熬夜观看比赛。
- They stopped short of increasing taxes.
- They stopped short at an increase in taxes.
- They stopped by at my place last week.
- They stopped in at my place last week.
- They stopped off at my place last week.
- He stopped there to listen.
- (停下原做的动作,而在副词所表示的 地点做动词不定式所表示的动作,动词 不定式作目的状语)
- He stopped listening.
- (停止动名词所表示的动作,动名词作 宾语)
- He stopped there listening.
- (停在副词所表示地点而做现在分词所 表示的动作,现在分词作伴随状语)
- He stopped me from listening.
- (阻止某人做动名词所表示的动作,动 名词作介词的宾语)
误 He is stopping the car.
正 He has stopped the car.
正 He stopped the car.我的表已停了3天。
误 My watch has stopped for three days.
正 My watch stopped three days ago.
误 I stopped him to do that.
正 I stopped him doing that.任何事也阻挡不了我们到那里去。
误 Nothing will stop us to go there.
正 Nothing will stop us from going there.
析 stop不可接含动词不定式的复合宾语; stop sb from doing意为“阻止某人做某事”,是固定用法,有时from可以省略。昨夜突然停电,我们在黑暗中呆了几个小时。
误 Last night the electricity was suddenly stopped and we were left in dark for several hours.
正 Last night the electricity was suddenly cut off and we were left in the dark for several hours.
析 汉语中所谓“停电”,实际上是电流被切断了,英语用cut off,不用 stop。
误 We must put stop to their fighting.
正 We must put a stop to their fighting.
析 put a stop to sth/ v -ing 表示“制止”或“使停止”,是习惯用法, stop 前的不定冠词 a不能省略。这辆小汽车在街道中央突然停住。
误 The car came to stop in the middle of the street.
正 The car came to a stop in the middle of the street.
析 come to a stop表示“停住”“突然停下”, stop 为名词,习惯用 a 修饰。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的stoppian，意为停住。
- terminate n.