- [C]最后部分,末尾 the last section
- [C]端,尽头,梢 the point at which sth stops or after which it no longer exists
- [C][U]终止,结局 stop, termination
- [U][C]〈正〉结果,目标,目的 an aim or purpose
- [S]死去 a person's death
- vt. & vi. 结束; 终止 come to an end; reach an end
either extremity of something that has length;
"the end of the pier"
"she knotted the end of the thread"
"they rode to the end of the line"
"the terminals of the anterior arches of the fornix"
the point in time at which something ends;
"the end of the year"
"the ending of warranty period"
the concluding parts of an event or occurrence;
"the end was exciting"
"I had to miss the last of the movie"
the state of affairs that a plan is intended to achieve and that (when achieved) terminates behavior intended to achieve it;
"the ends justify the means"
a final part or section;
"we have given it at the end of the section since it involves the calculus"
"Start at the beginning and go on until you come to the end"
a final state;
"he came to a bad end"
"the so-called glorious experiment came to an inglorious end"
the surface at either extremity of a three-dimensional object;
"one end of the box was marked `This side up'"
(football) the person who plays at one end of the line of scrimmage;
"the end managed to hold onto the pass"
a boundary marking the extremities of something;
"the end of town"
one of two places from which people are communicating to each other;
"the phone rang at the other end"
"both ends wrote at the same time"
the part you are expected to play;
"he held up his end"
the last section of a communication;
"in conclusion I want to say..."
a piece of cloth that is left over after the rest has been used or sold
(American football) a position on the line of scrimmage;
"no one wanted to play end"
have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical;
"the bronchioles terminate in a capillary bed"
"Your rights stop where you infringe upon the rights of other"
"My property ends by the bushes"
"The symphony ends in a pianissimo"
bring to an end or halt;
"She ended their friendship when she found out that he had once been convicted of a crime"
"The attack on Poland terminated the relatively peaceful period after WW I"
be the end of; be the last or concluding part of;
"This sad scene ended the movie"
put an end to;
"The terrible news ended our hopes that he had survived"
- The battle finally brought the war to an end.
- At the end of the film, the hero wept bitterly.
- He makes a knot in the end of the string.
- He could have achieved his ends by peaceful means.
- He came to an untimely end by accident.
- We need someone to handle the marketing end of the business.
- Jean is going to meet me at the other end.
- I answered the phone but there was no one at the other end.
- The teams changed ends at half-time.
- He threw his cigarette end on the floor.
- He came to an untimely end.
- He met his end at the Battle of Waterloo.
- The debate ended in uproar.
- They ended the party off with a song.
- Don't give away the end of the story.
- The story has a happy end.
- The two ministers did not close with each other until near the end of the meeting.
- Every club member must pay up his membership money before the end of the season.
- She reached the end of endurance.
- The date for the delivering of the lecture has been advanced to the end of the month.
- Come on. It isn't the end of the world.
- The pointed end of the stick pierced through its throat into its mouth.
- Gather the ends of the wool together and tie them in a knot.
- The fore end tube plate of the condenser has cracked beyond repair.
- When the end of the pipe was opened, the water flew in.
- The end of cloth is enough for a dress.
- He had prayed constantly to Allah for an end to this time of horror.
- They have decreeded an end to all this fighting.
- The two opposing armies fought through to the end.
- We must fight on until the end.
- Do the ends justify the means?
- That face called up in his mind the image of his end wife.
- My partner looks after the advertising end.
- Look at your dirty hands—you really the end!
- I'm arriving on Monday, could you make hotel arrangements at your end?
- I suppose the hotel has a shop where I can get odds and ends.
- That girl is just about the end of me.
- The road ends here.
- When the meeting ended,I began to chat with some of the members.
- Soon the third stage of the war ended and the fourth stage began.
- But the movement of knowledge does not end here.
- How does the story end?
- Everything ended happily.
- All is well that ends well.
- The Congress ended its first session on January 4.
- Something must be done to end the strike.
- Let's end our quarrel.
- A band ended the parade.
- I hoped that this might end my suffering.
- Drinking hard ended him.
- The strike was ended.
- at the end
在…的末尾 the point at which sth stops or after which it no longer exists
at the end
Owing to a long delay on the journey, he did not arrive until the meeting was at the end.
He went on spending lavishly until his money was at the end.
他继续挥霍无度,直到把钱用光为止。at the end of sth
Many citizens in Beijing got back their stolen bicycles at the end of last year.
At the end of three years, my son hopes to qualify as a lawyer.
Polly is due to pass out from training college at the end of July.
At the end of a month the club leader had the unruly youths eating out of his hand.
I am going to charge a new dress, and pay for it at the end of the month.
He cast up his accounts at the end of each day.
Give in your work at the end of the class.
Some countries, partitioned at the end of World War II, remain to be reunified.
The young singer was pleasantly surprised when waves of cheering broke over her at the end of her first performance.
At the end of the trip we reclaimed our luggage.
The hired hands were paid off at the end of the harvest season
There's room at the end of the garage to fit up a workbench.
The state started to construct a modern fishing harbour at the southern end of the bay.
At the end of the row, bind off seven stitches.
- at the other end of the line
幕后 really controlling sth
- be at an end
- be at dead end
无法进展下去 can't progress
- be at one's wit's end
无法可想 have no better idea
- by the end of
到…为止 the point at which sth stops
- end for end
- end to end
首尾相连地 with the points or the narrow sides touching each other
- in the end
- make ends meet
使收支相抵get just enough money for all one's needs
- towards the end (of)
- end by (v.+prep.)
以…方式结束 finish by way of
end by v-ing
He will end by marrying her.
He ended by remarking that he would come back soon.
- end in (v.+prep.)
以…结尾; 结果是 have as its concluding position; have as a result in
end in sb/sth
This street ends in the Children's Palace.
The rope ended in a knot.
The word ends in a consonant.
The strike ended in victory.
The match ended in a win for us.
After full 12 months the Long March ended in triumph.
A people's just war is bound to end in victory.
Their struggle over prices finally ended in a satisfactory settlement.
The election ended in the defeat of the Government.
The women's matches ended in a draw.
Their first meeting ended in disagreement.
Their marriage ended in divorce.
It will end in a great financial loss to us.
We discussed the affair for two hours, but it all ended in talk.
The incident ended in a laugh.
If you drive as recklessly as that, you'll end in hospital.
The enemy's dream ended in smoke.
- end off (v.+adv.)
结束 bring to an end; come to an end
Don't you think the film ends off rather suddenly?
The story ends off rather suddenly.
故事结束得相当突然。end sth ⇔ off with sth
He ended off his talk with a joke.
He ended off his speech with a very funny joke.
She ended off her speech with a quotation from Shakespeare.
The writer ended off his speech with a famous Chinese saying.
We ended off the meal with coffee and brandy.
- end up (v.+adv.)
〈非正〉(以…)结束; 最终成为或变得 do sth or be somewhere as a result of a previous action; reach a final situation
How does the story end up?
With Jim driving, you never know where you're going to end up.
The traveller took the wrong train and ended up at a country village.
If he had really pulled the trigger,I would have ended up then and there.
如果他真的扣动了扳机的话,我早就被当场打死了。end sb/sth ⇔ up
He finally ended up his speech.
Jim, the champion, seemed to end up two to three points ahead just about every night.
冠军吉姆好像每晚总是以二、三分的优势结束比赛。end up as sb/sth
In spite of the people's opinions, she ended up as the winner.
All those who try to falsify history are bound to end up as criminals in history.
The general began his army life as a private soldier and ended up as ruler of his country.
Most of the white liquid running out of these trees ends up as rubber tyres.
从这些树上流出来的大部分白色液体最后都变成了橡胶轮胎。end up adj\u002e
After gaining two fortunes, he ended up poor when he died.
Despite his efforts, he ended up unsuccessful after all.
尽管他奋发努力,最后还是没成功。end up v-ing
I ended up telling him everything although I tried not to.
If you don't watch the road more carefully, you'll end up having an accident.
I never dreamed that I would end up owning such a lot of property!
Every time she tried to argue with her husband she ended up crying her eyes out.
You'll end up getting burnt if you don't keep away from the fire.
If you don't eat less you'll end up looking like a whale!
如果你不少吃些,你最终会使自己看上去像一条鲸的!end up v-ed
They all ended up puzzled.
- end up by (v.+adv.+prep.)
〈非正〉以…结束 do sth or be somewhere as a result of a previous action; reach a final situation
end up by v-ing
Be careful, you could end up by getting hurt.
Such people can only end up by leaving the Party.
- end up in (v.+adv.+prep.)
死在 die in; kill in
end up in sth
If you go on doing that kind of thing, you'll end up in prison.
If they don't come to their senses, they will end up in the same grave as Hitler.
Acceptance of that view would also end up in a mess.
The business might end up in failure unless more care is taken with the accounts.
如果不加强对账目的管理,买卖最终会垮掉。end sb ⇔ up in sth
Stop spending so fast, or you'll end us up in debt.
别花钱这么冲,否则你就要叫我们背债了。end up in sth
The runaway prisoner ended up in a ditch.
The gangster ended up in the electric chair.
- end up nowhere (v.+adv.+adv.)
一事无成 not do sth useful
- end up with (v.+adv.+prep.)
〈非正〉以…结束have as its concluding position; have as a result with; reach a final situation
end up with sth
We had a banquet, which ended up with soup.
Jim entered the competition without much hope, not thinking he would end up with first prize!
In a word, the Long March ended up with victory for us and defeat for the enemy.
The party ended up with the singing of the Internationale .
晚会在《国际歌》声中结束。end sth ⇔ up with sth
He ended up his letter with good wishes to the family.
We ended the dinner up with fruit and coffee.
The students ended up their class meeting with a chorus singing.
The correspondent ended up his report with a short poem.
Englishmen often end up their breakfast with toast and marmalade.
- end with (v.+prep.)
以…结束 have as its concluding position
end with sth/v-ing
The play ends with the hero's death.
Most of the old stories end with the lovers' marriage.
Our experiment ended with success.
The meeting ended with dancing.
I should like to end with reminding members of the purpose of the club.
最后我想向各位成员提醒一下本俱乐部的目的。end sth with sth
We ended our meal with a nice dessert.
He ended his talk with a quotation from Shakespeare.
You should end the letter with “sincerely yours.”
- achieve one's end 达到目的
- bring to an end 使结束
- come to no good end 失败
- demand an end 要求终止,废除
- draw to an end 结束,完成
- fight to the end 战斗到底
- gain one's end 达到目的
- go off the deep end 冒险
- have an end 有目的
- keep one's end up 保持愉快和饱满的情绪,精神饱满地对待
- make an end 结束,终止
- meet one's end 死,送命
- put an end 结束,终止
- serve end 为目的服务
- take an end 告终
- think no end of 极端看重
- win one's end 达到目的
- chief end 主要目标
- common end 共同的目标
- happy end 愉快的结局
- opposite end 另一端
- political end 政治目的
- sad end 悲惨的结局
- same end 同一目标
- special end 特殊的目的
- successful end 圆满的结局
- after end 追求同一目标
- at the end 在末尾,完毕,结束
- at the end of one's rope 到了山穷水尽的地步
- by the end of 到…末
- for this end 为了这个目的
- from end to end 从一端到另一端,从头到尾
- from the beginning to the end 自始至终
- in the end 终于,最后,归根到底
- near sb's end 某人快死
- on end 竖着地,连续不停地
- put a box on end 把箱子竖起来
- to an end 结束,终止
- to the end that 为…起见
- end of one's rope 绳子的末端
- end of one's work 工作结束
- end of the earth 天涯海角
- end of the word 该词之末
- end of the world 天涯海角,天南地北
- end of the year 年底
- end of war 战争结束
- end to end 两头相接,衔接,不断地
- end any connection 断绝联系
- end the book 结束该书
- end the letter 结束了这封信
- end the matter 结束这件事
- end the meeting 结束会议
- end the programme 结束节目
- end the sentence 结束句子
- end the story 结束故事
- end the strike 结束罢工
- end abruptly 突然地结束
- end amicably 友好地结束
- end appropriately 合适地结束
- end badly 坏地结束
- end breathlessly 气喘吁吁地结束
- end casually 非正式地结束
- end coldly 冷淡地结束
- end completely 完全结束
- end creatively 创造性地结束
- end delightfully 愉快地结束
- end disastrously 灾难性地结束
- end dramatically 戏剧性地结束
- end eloquently 雄辩地结束
- end eventually 最终结束
- end fatally 毁灭性地结束
- end finally 最后结束
- end gradually 慢慢地结束
- end happily 愉快地结束
- end heroically 英勇地结束
- end immediately 立即结束
- end inevitably 不可避免地结束
- end laboriously 艰难地结束
- end magnificently 辉煌地结束
- end mournfully 悲哀地结束
- end nearly 将近结束
- end off 结束
- end ominously 不祥地结束
- end partially 部分结束
- end poetically 理想地结束
- end quickly 迅速结束
- end reluctantly 不情愿地结束
- end secretly 秘密地结束
- end sorrowfully 可悲地结束
- end successfully 成功地结束
- end swiftly 迅速地结束
- end tirelessly 不知疲倦地结束
- end tragically 悲剧地结束
- end ultimately 最终结束
- end unbelievably 不可思议地结束
- end unexpectedly 意外地结束
- end unsuccessfully 失败地结束
- end up 终了,结束
- end virtually 最终结束
- end well 很好地结束
- end wholly 完全结束
There was no end to the advantages.出自： J. S. Mill
That merciful deed For ever ends thy suffering.出自： Southey
- end还可作“目的”解,是可数名词,说“达到目的”时常可与accomplish, achieve, attain, compass, gain, obtain, reach, secure, win等动词连用。end作“结局”“结果”解时可加不定冠词。
- at one's end的意思是“在那里”,指说话人或对方所在地,介词at有时可省略。
- the end of sb 的意思是“令人受不了”。
- end既可用作及物动词,也可用作不及物动词,在用作不及物动词时,常常与介词或副词构成短语; 用作及物动词时,通常接名词或代词作宾语。可用于被动结构。
- end后常可接副词以加强语气。end up后可接“as+名词”、形容词、现在分词、过去分词和介词短语。
- at a loose end, at loose ends
- He had finished college but hadn't found a job yet, so he was at a loose end.他念完大学后没有找到工作,于是是闲着没事干。
- Don't put all these books at loose ends.不要把这些书摆得杂乱无章。
- at the end, in the end
- 1.at the end多用于时间(如星期、年月、学期、季节等)或地点; 而in the end多用于某件事情,即“最后,终于,到头来”。例如:
- Others were planning to go at the end of the term.其他人打算学期结束时去。
- I hope everything will turn out all right in the end.我希望最后一切结局圆满。
- 2.in the end可单独使用,而at the end通常须接of短语。
- bring an end to, come to an end
- We must bring an end to suffering and hunger in the world. 我们必须结束世界上的苦难和饥饿。
- The meeting came to an end late in the afternoon.会议开到傍晚才结束。
- end on, on end
- The book ends on 123.该书在123页结束。
- The book ends on a happier tone.这本书以较为愉快的调子结尾。
- He sat there for hours on end.他连续几个小时坐在那里。
- We had to stand the table on end to get it through the door.我们只能把桌子竖起来才能把它抬进门。
- in the end, at last, finally
- 1.in the end的意思是经过许多变化、困难和捉摸不定的情况之后,某事才发生。例如:
- We made eight different plans for our holiday, but in the end we went to Harbin again .我们定了八种不同的度假方案,但是最后我们又一次去了哈尔滨。
- 2.at last指一个动作从发生一直延续到结束,意思是“终于”。例如:
- In spite of every obstacle, we arrived at last.冲破种种障碍,我们终于到达了。
- Her wish to be a doctor has come true at last.她想做一个医生的愿望终于实现了。
- She felt joyful at the prospect of seeing him at last.她为终将看到他而感到欣喜。
- 3.finally在列举事物时可以用来引出最后一项内容,或者是直接放在动词之前, in the end和at last则不能。例如:
- We need to increase productivity.We need to reduce unemployment.And finally, we need to make our exports competitive on world market.我们需要提高生产力,我们需 要降低失业率; 最后我们还需要使我们的出口商品在国际市场上具有竞争力。
- They finally cracked the defence and scored a goal.他们终于突破了防守,射进一球。
- After toying it three times, we finally managed to have a holiday in Greece.经过三次延期之后,我们终于在希腊度了一次假。
- What by policy and (what by) force they finally liberated that town.部分用策略,部分用武力,他们终于解放了那个城镇。
- 5.at last也在主观上有“等了好久才…”的含义,但语气上比finally强得多,且at last也可以作感叹语。例如:
- When at last they found him, he was almost dead.当人们终于找到他时,他快死了。
- At last!Where the hell have you been?总算找到你了!你到底上哪去了?
- no end, no end of
- The book of yours amused me no end.我觉得你那本书十分有趣。
- It caused me no end of worry.这给我带来无穷的烦恼。
- without end, to no end
- I had trouble without end.我的麻烦没完没了。
- All their efforts came to no end.他们的一切努力付之东流。
- end, end up
- end只是一般性地说明结束时的情况,而end up起到加强语气的效果,往往用来强调事物发展的最后结局。试比较:
- The delegation ended their visit to China on March 3.
- Though friends for many years, the two lawyers finally ended up enemies.
- 虽然是多年老友,这两个律师最后还 是成了冤家对头。
- end by, end with
- end with的意思是“以…告终”,后接名词,而end by的意思是“以…(行动)来结束”,后接动名词。试比较:
- The book ends with a brief summary.
- He ended by agreeing as might be expected of him.
- end, accomplish, complete, conclude, finish
- 这组词都有“结束”“完成”的意思。它们之间的区别是:conclude是比较正式的用语,常指达成协议,作出决定后正式“结束”,如正式的会议、事物等的结束。也有达到逻辑上的结论的含义。因此常用来表示结束一篇著作、一篇演说或议论; accomplish指坚持不懈地努力完成某项计划或达到预期的目的; complete强调把未完成的东西或事情完成,有通过弥补某种欠缺使之成为完整之意; end指“停止”“结束”某一进程,但不强调是否已经圆满完成。常用来指旅行、讲演、争论、战争等结束或终止; finish强调完成自己所计划要干的或所规定的事情或动作,并含有最后加以润色,使之完美的意味。
误 In the end of six months, Marx had learned enough to read articles in Russian.
正 At the end of six months,Marx had learned enough to read articles in Russian.我儿子正在攻读法律,并且希望明年年底成为一名律师。
误 My son is reading for the bar, and hopes to become a lawyer in the end of next year.
正 My son is reading for the bar, and hopes to become a lawyer at the end of next year.
析 in the end后面不能接of短语,该短语的意思是“最后,终于”,相当于finally, at last。at the end of 后面可以接表示时间或地点的名词,意思是“在…末端”或“在…结尾”。到去年年底为止,已有六所新医院在这个城市落成。
误 At the end of last year, six new hospitals were set up in the city.
正 By the end of last year, six new hospitals had been set up in the city.露丝继续说,她认为这项工作在年底要完工。
误 Rose continued that she thought the work should be finished at the end of the year.
正 Rose continued that she thought the work should be finished by the end of the year.
析 说“到…末为止”,指的是一个时间段,要用by the end of。at the end of表示“在…末”,强调的是时间点。故在此句中应用by the end。到1980年底,他已完成了他的巨著。
误 He finished his great works by the end of 1980.
正 He had finished his great works by the end of 1980.
析 by the end of 后接表示过去的时间作状语,句子的谓语用过去完成时; 如果其后接表示将来的时间作状语,句子的谓语用将来完成时。当他表演结束时,观众席上爆发出一阵掌声。
误 The audience clapped as he came to the ending of his performance.
正 The audience clapped as he came to the end of his performance.
误 We must put an end of this foolish behavior.
正 We must put an end to this foolish behavior.
析 put an end to (结束,制止)中的介词to不能改成of。电线末端意外地与开关接合在一起,这非常危险。
误 The final end of the wire had become accidentally fused with the switch.
正 The end of the wire had become accidentally fused with the switch.
误 Carry that box of explosives carefully or we'll end up in getting killed.
正 Carry that box of explosives carefully or we'll end up by getting killed.
析 end up by 表示“最后(有某种结果)”“以…而告终”,后接动名词,表示由于做某事而陷入某种状态,要用end up in,后面常接表示地点或状态的名词。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的ende，意为结束，总结。