- n. 街区；木块；石块；大楼；一组；阻塞(物)；障碍(物)
- v. 阻塞
- [C]大块 a big heavy piece of sth, with flat sides
- [C]街区,街段 group of buildings joined together; distance along a group of buildings
- [C]一排房屋,大楼 a row building with a lot of offices or flats inside
- [C]障碍物 a thing that stops sb/sth from moving forward
- vt. 阻塞,堵塞 make movement difficult or impossible
- vt. & vi. 阻碍,妨碍 put sth in the way of
a solid piece of something (usually having flat rectangular sides);
"the pyramids were built with large stone blocks"
a rectangular area in a city surrounded by streets and usually containing several buildings;
"he lives in the next block"
a three-dimensional shape with six square or rectangular sides
a number or quantity of related things dealt with as a unit;
"he reserved a large block of seats"
"he held a large block of the company's stock"
housing in a large building that is divided into separate units;
"there is a block of classrooms in the west wing"
(computer science) a sector or group of sectors that function as the smallest data unit permitted;
"since blocks are often defined as a single sector, the terms `block' and `sector' are sometimes used interchangeably"
an inability to remember or think of something you normally can do; often caused by emotional tension;
"I knew his name perfectly well but I had a temporary block"
a simple machine consisting of a wheel with a groove in which a rope can run to change the direction or point of application of a force applied to the rope
a metal casting containing the cylinders and cooling ducts of an engine;
"the engine had to be replaced because the block was cracked"
an obstruction in a pipe or tube;
"we had to call a plumber to clear out the blockage in the drainpipe"
a platform from which an auctioneer sells;
"they put their paintings on the block"
the act of obstructing or deflecting someone's movements
render unsuitable for passage;
"block the way"
"barricade the streets"
"stop the busy road"
hinder or prevent the progress or accomplishment of;
"His brother blocked him at every turn"
stop from happening or developing;
"Block his election"
"Halt the process"
interfere with or prevent the reception of signals;
"Jam the Voice of America"
"block the signals emitted by this station"
run on a block system;
interrupt the normal function of by means of anesthesia;
"block a nerve"
"block a muscle"
shut out from view or get in the way so as to hide from sight;
"The thick curtain blocked the action on the stage"
"The trees obstruct my view of the mountains"
stamp or emboss a title or design on a book with a block;
"block the book cover"
"My nose is all stuffed"
"Her arteries are blocked"
block passage through;
"obstruct the path"
support, secure, or raise with a block;
"block a plate for printing"
"block the wheels of a car"
impede the movement of (an opponent or a ball);
"block an attack"
be unable to remember;
"I'm drawing a blank"
"You are blocking the name of your first wife!"
shape by using a block;
"Block a hat"
"block a garment"
shape into a block or blocks;
"block the graphs so one can see the results clearly"
prohibit the conversion or use of (assets);
"Freeze the assets of this hostile government"
- Walk two blocks down the street and go past the city hall.
- The doctors succeeded in confining the contagious disease within the block.
- The floor was made of wooden blocks.
- The blocks should be laid on a bed of concrete.
- There is a block in the pipe and the water can not flow away.
- The chief stumbling block to his promotion is his lack of qualifications.
- The Pyramids are made of blocks of stone.
- The statue was cut out of a block of marble.
- The streets are paved with blocks of stone.
- To build the project, more than 3 million huge blocks of stone are needed.
- A block of stone lies on the road.
- The bridge is made of blocks of stone.
- Blocks of stone are often used in building.
- The blocks of stone in the Pyramids are five or six feet high.
- The house is built, the streets are paved of blocks of stone or wood.
- The house is built of concrete blocks.
- The floor was made of wooden blocks.
- A butcher cuts up his meat on a large block of wood.
- The salt has solidified into a single block.
- A block of ice fell on his foot.
- This was compared with a block of iron squeezed on an anvil.
- Don't just sit there like a block of wood!
- They would like to sell the goods in a block.
- He has just brought in a large block of mail.
- You may take one from the block of tickets.
- Write your name in block letters.
- There was a block in the pipe and the water couldn't flow away.
- The traffic block lasted two hours.
- The snowstorm has caused a block on the railway.
- He has been detained by a road block from a landslide.
- I have been detained by a block in the street.
- The football player threw a block that knocked the ball-carrier out of bounds.
- He works in the block of offices.
- They are building a new block of offices near the school.
- His flat is on the fourth floor of five storey block.
- They have built a block of two-storey houses.
- Blocks after blocks of flats are being built now.
- The block of flats is that big building over there.
- The building occupies an entire city block.
- They went around the block.
- The office is four blocks from here.
- To reach the department store, walk two blocks north and then turn left.
- Walk one block east, and you'll find the store at the corner.
- The place you're looking for is three blocks along the street.
- The station is six blocks away from here.
- The hotel is two blocks away.
- The post-office is only three blocks away.
- My house is just two blocks away.
- American towns are built in blocks.
- The king was sent to the block.
- The revolutionary Parisians were not afraid to be sent to the block.
- King Henry caused two of his wives to go to the block.
- He was sentenced to the block.
- There are road blocks on the country road.
- The police set up a road block to catch the thief.
- There will be blocks on the road to the town.
- It has become a stumbling block to the progress of human civilization.
- Articles and prepositions are stumbling blocks to the beginners of English.
- These are stumbling blocks to our scheme.
- Do you like the pictures printed in colours from wooden blocks?
- This is a picture printed in colours from wooden blocks.
- Several museums tried to buy the famous painting when it went to the block.
- The children are playing with toy blocks.
- Are children's building blocks available in this shop?
- Build a house with your blocks.
- He doesn't get any baskets, but can block.
- The director will block tomorrow.
- With his own body Huang Jiguang blocked the muzzle of the enemy's machine gun.
- They blocked the entrance with big stones.
- They blocked the compound gate.No one of the bandits got away.
- A rough-looking man blocked her pathway.
- They blocked him down.
- A snowdrift blocked his path.
- Trees blocked our path.
- The trees outside the window block the sun.
- The high building blocked our view.
- Something is blocking the pipe.
- Something blocked the flow of the liquid in the pipe.
- The crowd blocked the street.
- Buildings were smashed and burning and rubble heaps blocked many streets.
- The player tried to block his opponent.
- Her father blocked her appointment.
- His illness blocked his progress of study.
- We blocked the enemy's plan.
- Someone is blocking our plan.
- Her sickness blocked my plan for the party.
- The general succeeded in blocking the enemy's plan.
- The Opposition blocked the passage of the bill through parliament.
- The dumping of foreign cotton blocked outlets for locally grown cotton.
- We must try all means to block the spread of the epidemic.
- The string of lofty Himalayan peaks blocks the moist air currents blowing up from the Indian Ocean.
- The door was blocked with big rocks.
- The street was completely blocked.
- The alley was blocked with crowds.
- The street is blocked in both directions.
- The street is blocked to traffic.
- The roads were blocked with crowds of people.
- The road was blocked by a big truck.
- The climbers suddenly found that their way was blocked by a perpendicular ice wall.
- All roads are blocked by the heavy snowfall.The passengers are in danger.
- You can't leave the city, all the roads are blocked by snow.
- The harbour was blocked by ice.
- The oil passage is partly blocked.
- On holidays the lake in the park is often blocked by pleasure boats.
- My nose was blocked by my cold and I couldn't breathe.
- The principal airports of Iraq are seriously blocked.
- The harbour is blocked from the rest of the world.
- The nearest exit was blocked by people.
- All our plans have been blocked by our opponents.
- knock block off
叫某人吃苦头,痛打某人 knock sb's head off
- mental block
思路中断 obstruction to a thought process
- on the block
出售中的 on sale
- put head on the block
自投罗网 deliberately make oneself vulnerable
- block in (v.+adv.)
画略图,草样 draw outline of sth without using details
- block off (v.+adv.)
关闭(某物); 封闭或封锁(某处) prevent sth from its usual use by closing
block sb/sth ⇔ off
The plumbers blocked off the gas pipe to check escapes.
Snow has blocked off traffic on the motorway
They have blocked off all side streets giving access to the main street.
The police blocked off the street where the gunman was hiding.
The landslide blocked off the railway to traffic.
People swept across the court blocking them off.
I tried to fix two or three things with her and she blocked me off each time.
They ran across areas which were blocked off by barrage fire.
All the side-streets have been blocked off by the police for the passage of the honor fleet.
The gas pipe has been blocked off to prevent escapes.
- block out (v.+adv.)
画出…的略图; 打草样; 计划 draw a plan or outline of sth without using details; lay out, plan
- block up (v.+adv.)
垫高 fix sth with blocks
- copy a block 复制一组数据
- cut blocks 截木块
- delete a block 消除一组数据
- do the block 在街上逛
- occupy an entire block 占整个街区
- walk one block 走一个街区
- chopping block 劈柴用的墩子
- five-storey block 五层大厦
- four blocks 四个街区
- functional electric block 功能块
- mental block 智能障碍
- mosaic blocks 嵌花木块
- solid wooden block 坚实的木块
- starting block 起跑器
- stumbling block 绊脚石
- alphabet blocks 字母积木
- brake block 煞车瓦
- building blocks 玩具积木
- butcher's block 肉案
- cement block 水泥空心砖
- cinder block 煤渣空心砖
- city block 城市街区
- concrete blocks 预制构件
- cylinder block 汽缸体
- headsman's block 斩首时用的垫头木
- heart block 心传导阻滞
- input block 输入部件
- large office block 一座办公大楼
- nerve block 神经传导阻滞
- output block 输出部件
- paving blocks 铺路石板
- road blocks 路障
- saddle block 鞍状阻滞
- screw block 千斤顶
- shoe block 鞋楦
- swage block 花砧
- the auction block 拍卖台
- the school physics block 学校物理大楼
- tower block 多层公寓大楼
- trade block 贸易团体
- traffic block 交通堵塞
- unsurpassable block 不可逾越的障碍
- block buster 巨型炸弹
- block capital 印刷体字母
- block chain 车链
- block charge 方形炸药包
- block diagram 方框图
- block house 碉堡
- block letter 印刷体字母
- block movement 地壳运动
- block tin 锡锭
- block in the water pipe 水管中的堵塞物
- a block of flats 一排公寓,公寓大楼
- a block of house 一个街区的房子
- a block of ice 一大块冰
- a block of mail 一批邮件
- a block of marble 一块大理石
- a block of offices 办公大楼
- a block of rock 一大块岩石
- a block of seats in a theatre 剧院中的一列座位
- a block of shares 一批股票
- a block of stone 一块石头
- a block of theatre tickets 一叠戏票
- a block of wood 一块木头
- a large block of wood 一大块木料
- block on a railway 铁路不通
- block to peace 和平的障碍
- block a path 封锁道路
- block a solution to the question 阻碍问题的解决
- block advance 阻挡某人前进
- block cultural development 阻碍文化的发展
- block funds 冻结资金
- block money 冻结货币
- block pathway 挡住(某人的)去路
- block progress of study 妨碍(某人)学习进步
- block sb's promotion 阻碍某人的晋升
- block sb's view 挡住某人的视线
- block the effective use of... 阻碍…的有效使用
- block the enemy 堵住敌人,阻击敌人
- block the entrance 堵住入口
- block the exit 封锁出口
- block the export of unclear fuel 封锁核燃料输出
- block the flow of water 堵住水,不让其流动
- block the gate 堵住大门
- block the leakage of news 防止走漏消息
- block the nomination of sb for the leader 阻碍提名某人作领袖
- block the outlay 阻碍销路
- block the pipe 阻塞管道
- block the plan 阻止计划(实施)
- block the road 阻塞道路
- block the spread of the epidemic 阻止流行病的传播
- block the street 阻塞街道
- block the sun 挡住阳光
- block down sb 堵住某人
- block in 塞满,使(某物)受限制或受阻,画略图
- block in by masses of ice 被大量冰块锁在里面
- block in one's idea 把构思画成草图
- block off 关闭,封闭
- block off a door 堵住门
- block off a passage 堵住过道
- block off a street 阻断街道
- block off a window 堵住窗
- block off road 挡住路
- block out 挡住,画略图
- block out a drawing 草画略图
- block out all thoughts of sth 丝毫不考虑某事
- block out an outline for one's essay 给文章写提纲
- block out the light 挡住阳光
- block out the sun 挡住太阳
- block out unwelcome ideas from abroad 把国外不受欢迎的思想隐瞒起来
- block up 封闭,堵塞
- block up the entrance to the cave 把洞口堵塞起来
- block up the log cabin 为小木屋造墙
- block up the passage 阻塞通道
- block up the rear wheel 把后轮垫高
- block up the street 阻塞街道
The more solid blocks of ice shoot forward in advance of the lighter debris.出自： J. Tyndall
The combination began by selling large blocks of the Stock for future delivery.出自： J. G. Holland
The information on the tape is concentrated into blocks, separated by empty gaps.出自： O. Dopping
Blocking vp their hearts against the Lord.出自： W. Prynne
Our little harbor was completely blocked in by heavy masses [of ice].出自： E. K. Kane
Mitch has started towards the bedroom. Stanley crosses to block him.出自： T. Williams
The passage was nearly blocked by dustbins.出自： G. Greene
Cressy had tried to talk to him, but he had courteously blocked conversation.出自： E. J. Howard
- block是可数名词,基本意思是指带有直边由较硬材料构成的长方形的块状物，如木块、石块或其他固体材料,引申则指高大的建筑物,即大厦、大楼等。在美国, block是指四面是马路的一块街区,或街区之间的距离; 在澳大利亚则指闹市或繁华的大马路。
- block用作单位词,其前可加some等修饰。block修饰不可数名词时,表示复数意义的名词不变,只需将block变为blocks; 修饰可数名词复数时, block和所修饰的名词都须变成复数。
- block可用作及物动词,也可用作不及物动词。用作及物动词时,接名词或代词作宾语,不接动词不定式或从句,可用于被动结构,常与一些副词或介词连用,如in, off, up等。
- block, piece
- 这两个词在意思上有所不同:block多指大块的木头或石块等; piece指一般的“片”“块”,最为常用。例如:
- Please give me a piece of cake.请给我一片面包。
- block, bar, dam, hinder, impede, obstruct
- 1.block指有效地堵住了所有通道,使人、物等无法通过; bar指堵住出入口; dam指挡住涌流物,如眼泪等; obstruct和impede都指在路上设障碍以使运动的物体或事物速度放慢或阻挡其前进, impede比obstruct语气更强些,指困难非常大; hinder则强调阻碍和干扰的有害或令人讨厌。例如:
- Heavy traffic blocked the road.拥挤的车辆阻塞了道路。
- She barred him out of her room.她把他关在她的房间外面。
- She barred up her tears.她抑制住了自己的眼泪。
- Tall trees obstructed his moving.大树阻挡了他的前进。
- The development of the project was seriously impeded by a reduction in funds.由于基金削减,工程进度严重受阻。
- My father barred smoking at the dinner-table.我父亲禁止在餐桌上用餐时吸烟。
- block, prevent
- prevent表示某种障碍阻止某人做某事, block指有效地堵住了所有的通道,使人、物等无法通过。例如:
- Bad weather prevented us from starting.恶劣的天气使我们不能动身。
- Heavy snow blocked our road.大雪堵住了我们的去路。
- ☆ 1300年左右进入英语，直接源自古法语的bloc，意为木材，树干；最初源自中世纪荷兰语的bloc，意为树干。