- v. 完成；结束；最后加工；用完
- n. 结束；完成；最后一层涂饰
- 结束，终了，完毕，告终， 终止，终结，停止
- 修养，优雅， 文雅
- vt. & vi. 结束,完成 bring to an end; complete
- [S][U]结束,完成,最后阶段 the end or last part
- [S][U]完成的或完美的状态 state of being finished or perfect
a decorative texture or appearance of a surface (or the substance that gives it that appearance);
"the boat had a metallic finish"
"he applied a coat of a clear finish"
"when the finish is too thin it is difficult to apply evenly"
the temporal end; the concluding time;
"the stopping point of each round was signaled by a bell"
"the market was up at the finish"
"they were playing better at the close of the season"
a highly developed state of perfection; having a flawless or impeccable quality;
"they performed with great polish"
"I admired the exquisite refinement of his prose"
"almost an inspiration which gives to all work that finish which is almost art"
the place designated as the end (as of a race or journey);
"a crowd assembled at the finish"
"he was nearly exhausted as their destination came into view"
designated event that concludes a contest (especially a race);
"excitement grew as the finish neared"
"my horse was several lengths behind at the finish"
"the winner is the team with the most points at the finish"
the downfall of someone (as of persons on one side of a conflict);
"booze will be the finish of him"
"it was a fight to the finish"
event whose occurrence ends something;
"his death marked the ending of an era"
"when these final episodes are broadcast it will be the finish of the show"
(wine tasting) the taste of a wine on the back of the tongue (as it is swallowed);
"the wine has a nutty flavor and a pleasant finish"
the act of finishing;
"his best finish in a major tournament was third"
"the speaker's finishing was greeted with applause"
come or bring to a finish or an end;
"He finished the dishes"
"She completed the requirements for her Master's Degree"
"The fastest runner finished the race in just over 2 hours; others finished in over 4 hours"
finally be or do something;
"He ended up marrying his high school sweetheart"
"he wound up being unemployed and living at home again"
have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical;
"the bronchioles terminate in a capillary bed"
"Your rights stop where you infringe upon the rights of other"
"My property ends by the bushes"
"The symphony ends in a pianissimo"
provide with a finish;
"The carpenter finished the table beautifully"
"this shirt is not finished properly"
finish eating all the food on one's plate or on the table;
"She polished off the remaining potatoes"
cause to finish a relationship with somebody;
"That finished me with Mary"
- When do you finish your college course?
- She should finish with him he treats her very badly.
- I've finished with gambling it's a waste of money.
- That fever nearly finished him off.
- I'll finish off this dress in a few minutes; I'm just giving it the last finishing touches.
- Please put the saucepan away if you've finished with it.
- He was in at the finish and witnessed the excitement of the fans.
- You can come with us tonight if you want to be in at the finish.
- I want to see the job through to the finish.
- That's a smooth finish on furniture.
- The new hotel's finished, but it's not yet furnished.
- They start work early and finish late every day.
- I can't come till I have finished.
- Term finishes next week.
- He didn't finish in time.
- The performance has not finished yet.
- The war hasn't finished yet.
- The task finished.
- He finished a famous scholar.
- She finished the best student in her class.
- That long climb almost finished me.
- That shock almost finished her.
- My answer finished him.
- “Must I finish my composition in class?”“ No, you needn't.You may finish it after class.”
- You will never finish that job unless you forget everything else and get down to it.
- If the rain holds off for a few days more, they can finish the planting.
- If you had not interfered,I should have finished my work by now.
- The boy finished the cake just in a few bits.
- What shall we have to finish the meal with?
- They finished the bottle of beer between them.
- When she finished the mending, she paired up the socks.
- We decided to finish our plan more carefully.
- The ground-work will soon be finished.
- Once the winter ploughing is finished, it will be time to consider this question.
- Everything is finished between us.
- Hang on—I'm nearly finished.
- They have finished laying the light transport railway.
- Place the book back where you found it when you have finished reading.
- As soon as he finished reading the letter, he flew into a rage and tore it into pieces.
- There was a deadly silence after she finished speaking.
- Do you think you can finish reading the novel within the week?
- These are finished products.
- Finished labours are pleasant.
- He is putting the finishing stroke to the portrait.
- The meeting was a fiasco from start to finish.
- The two men fought to the finish.
- At ten-thirty the dinner finally dragged to a finish.
- He gives the last finish to the table.
- A cigarette burned the finish on the table.
- Her manners lack social finish.
- His singing lacks finish.
- finish in (v.+prep.)
以…告终 come to an end in (a state)
- finish off (v.+adv.)
吃光(某物); 耗尽(某物) eat or drink the last part; finish up sth
There are still a few jobs to finish off so we cannot be released for the time being.
还有几项工作需要完成,所以我们暂且还不能松劲。finish sth ⇔ off
We finished off the work by noon.
I must finish off this sewing while light is good.
During the debate, the second debater in the positive party failed to finish off his statement within the time limit.
I finally said we must finish off the war in Italy immediately.
His thesis is being finished off.
他的论文快写完了。finish sb ⇔ off
〔说明〕 finish off作此解时常不用于进行体。
In less than half an hour we finished off the two enemy companies.
That year pneumonia nearly finished off him.
The high fever nearly finished him off.
Her illness last year nearly finished her off.
It was not the operation, but the fever that followed, which finished him off.
不是手术,而是手术后的发烧使他死亡的。finish sth ⇔ off
We finished off everything on the table.
Let's finish off the wine!
Whenever my cat finishes off her food, she will lick her lips.
Old Smith came round for a chat and finished off the remains of my whisky.
The pests finished off all the leaves of a pine tree.
Dishes served in restaurant are seldom finished off.
- finish up (v.+adv.)
喝光 eat or drink all
You can finish up now.
They will be going on a honeymoon tour, starting in Huangshan and finishing up in Xiamen.
I hope you won't finish up in jail.
希望你不要以入狱而告终。finish up v-ing
He never dreamed that he would finish up owning such a lot of property.
他做梦也想不到最终他会拥有这么多的财产。finish sth ⇔ up
I'll be back as soon as I finish up my business.
They finished up a can of paint.
他们用完了一罐油漆。finish sth ⇔ up
I finished up all the food in the house.
We finished up everything there was on the table.
He finished up the remains of the mutton for dinner.
The hungry baby finished up all her mother's breast milk and still expected more.
Do finish up the wine!Let's dance!
Everything on the lunch table was finished up soon by the hungry children.
- finish up with (v.+adv.+prep.)
以…告终 end up with (sth)
finish up with sth
The rally finished up with the singing of the Internationale.
- finish with (v.+prep.)
〈非正〉停止惩罚 stop punishing (sb)
- at the finish
结束时,终点 at the end
- be in at the finish
结束时在场 be present at the end of sth
- fight to a/the finish
战斗到底 fight to the end
- finish a bottle of wine 喝完一瓶葡萄酒
- finish one's investigation 完成某人的调查研究
- finish one's life in loneliness 孤独中结束一生
- finish one's sandwich 吃完某人的三明治
- finish one's work 完成某人的工作
- finish school 毕业
- finish the milk 喝完牛奶
- finish the tenth grade 读完十年级
- finish the top of the class 在班上考第一名
- finish beautifully 完美地结束
- finish completely 完全结束
- finish hurriedly 匆匆结束
- finish partly 部分结束
- finish slowly 慢慢地结束
- finish off 结束,完成,吃光,杀死,毁掉
- finish off with one's work 结束工作
- finish up 完成
- finish between 两人一起完成
- finish by 以…结束
- finish in 以…结束
- finish with 完成,结束,与…断绝关系
- finish with a song 以一首歌作为结束
- finish with school 完成学业
To look upon death..as the finish of your sorrows!出自： A. M. Johnson
They were pieces in a game that still had to be played to a grim finish.出自： L. W. Meynell
When Jordan Baker had finished telling all this.出自： Scott Fitzgerald
The colonel finished the last war as a brigadier.出自： E. Waugh
- finish后接off表示“做完”或“杀死”; 后接up表示“吃光”或“做完”; 后接with时表示“用完…”或“断绝与…的关系”。
- finish, finish up
- finish和finish up意思差不多。其区别是：
- 1.finish up的语气较强,含“最终结束”“彻底结束”的意味。例如:
- If I don't finish this work tonight,I'll surely finish it up tomorrow.如果今晚我完不成这项工作,明天肯定会完成的。
- 2.在接动名词时, finish v -ing的意思是“结束做某事”; finish up v -ing意思是“以某事的方式结束”。例如:
- Could I borrow that novel when you've finished reading it?你读完那本小说后可以借给我吗?
- Every time she tried to argue with her husband, she finished up shaking with anger. 每次她与丈夫争吵,总是以她气得发抖而告终。
- finish, accomplish, complete, conclude, end
- 这组词都有“结束”“完成”的意思。它们之间的区别是:conclude是比较正式的用语,常指达成协议,作出决定后正式“结束”,如正式的会议、事物等的结束。也有达到逻辑上的结论的含义。因此常用来表示结束一篇著作、一篇演说或议论; accomplish指坚持不懈地努力完成某项计划或达到预期的目的; complete强调把未完成的东西或事情完成,有通过弥补某种欠缺使之成为完整之意; end指“停止”“结束”某一进程,但不强调是否已经圆满完成。常用来指旅行、讲演、争论、战争等结束或终止; finish强调完成自己所计划要干的或所规定的事情或动作,并含有最后加以润色,使之完美的意味。
- Have you finished the newspaper?
- Have you finished with the newspaper?
- I have finished the composition.
误 I have finished the book for a week.
正 I finished the book a week ago.
正 It is a week since I finished the book.
误 Could I borrow that book when you've finished to read it?
正 Could I borrow that book when you've finished reading it?
正 Could I borrow that book when you've finished it?
- ☆ 14世纪进入英语，直接源自古法语的finiss，意为结束；最初源自拉丁语的finire，意为限制，末尾，结束。