- 取得进展，得到改善 ，增进健康
- 吸引， 引起
- vt. 获得,赢得 obtain sth useful, necessary, earned, etc.
- vt. ＆ vi. 增加; 获利 have an increase in sth
- vt. ＆ vi. (钟表)走快 (of a watch or clock) work too fast (by an amount of time)
- vt. 抵达 reach (a place), especially with effort or difficulty
- [U]获益; 增财 the act of making a profit; increase in wealth
- [C]利润; 增加 a profit; increase in amount
a quantity that is added;
"there was an addition to property taxes this year"
"they recorded the cattle's gain in weight over a period of weeks"
the advantageous quality of being beneficial
the amount of increase in signal power or voltage or current expressed as the ratio of output to input
the amount by which the revenue of a business exceeds its cost of operating
"derive pleasure from one's garden"
win something through one's efforts;
"I acquired a passing knowledge of Chinese"
"Gain an understanding of international finance"
derive a benefit from;
"She profited from his vast experience"
reach a destination, either real or abstract;
"We hit Detroit by noon"
"The water reached the doorstep"
"We barely made it to the finish line"
"I have to hit the MAC machine before the weekend starts"
obtain advantages, such as points, etc.;
"The home team was gaining ground"
"After defeating the Knicks, the Blazers pulled ahead of the Lakers in the battle for the number-one playoff berth in the Western Conference"
rise in rate or price;
"The stock market gained 24 points today"
increase or develop;
"the peace movement gained momentum"
"the car gathers speed"
earn on some commercial or business transaction; earn as salary or wages;
"How much do you make a month in your new job?"
"She earns a lot in her new job"
"this merger brought in lots of money"
"He clears $5,000 each month"
increase (one's body weight);
"She gained 20 pounds when she stopped exercising"
- No pain, no gain.
- He has no aspiration for fame or gain.
- It is not for the love of gain that he does so.
- You will gain experience if nothing more in that job.
- It's the first time we've ever had the power to gain knowledge at our fingertips.
- After swimming for an hour, he finally gained the shore.
- Did you gain weight after you stopped exercising.
- I did not gain very much by my inspection.
- They gain in security what they lose in liberty.
- The clock on my computer gains a minute every day.
- This clock neither gains nor loses.
- The man gained a lot in the business, but he lost the respect of his friends.
- He gained the rank of Colonel.
- Many countries have gained national independence after prolonged struggles.
- I gained my experience.
- To gain a complete mastery of English, one must study very hard.
- They gained the game with ease.
- He fought bravely in many battles and gained their respect.
- He gained the admiration of the whole world.
- The soldiers fought hard and began to gain ground.
- The sick man gained ground after being near death.
- Under strict management his business gained ground.
- He has had a hard time in his new business but he is gaining ground now.
- The car is gaining speed.
- Within two weeks, she gained five pounds in weight.
- My watch gains two minutes every day.
- The swimmer gained the shore.
- We cut a path through the forest and gained the river next day.
- Finally we gained the summit of the mountain.
- Our car gained the main street.
- Having overcome a lot of difficulties we gained our destination at last.
- Nothing can be gained without an effort.
- His persistence gained him victory.
- Her talent and hard work gained her success as an artist.
- His misfortune gained him much sympathy.
- He put a lot of money into the firm with the hope of gain in the future.
- The gain is greater than the loss.
- A fall into the pit, a gain in your wit.
- We shouldn't seek after comfort, personal fame and gain.
- He prefers the public welfare to personal gain.
- He will do anything for gain.
- He did it as much out of kindness as for financial gain.
- Gains cannot offset losses.
- No gains without pains.
- His ill-gotten gains have made him a rich man.
- They see gains of five to ten per cent this spring.
- A gain in health is a good thing.
- The gain in weight of the cattle over a period of weeks was recorded.
- Increase of wealth is not always a gain to one's happiness.
- The baby had a gain of half a pound in weight last week.
- Stocks this week has shown a significant gain over last week's prices.
- There has been a gain of two cents in the value of the pound against the dollar.
- Unemployment was high despite the gains of the civil rights movement.
- The price of gold fell again today following yesterday's gains.
- Agriculture has made rapid gains in recent years.
- We must consolidate and expand our gains in trade.
- gain by( v.+prep. )
通过…而取得进展 be improved by sth
gain by sth
You can only gain by further study.
Your side has obviously gained by the change.
The man supplying the capital expected to gain considerably by the enterprise.
提供资金的人期望从企业中得到相当大的收益。gain sth by sth/v-ing
We gain our experience by degrees.
He gained entry into the building by means of a bribe to the guard.
He gained his livelihood by teaching English.
A good command of English can only be gained by constant practice.
There is nothing to be gained by waiting any longer.
- gain from( v.+prep. )
从…获得利益 take advantage from
gain from sth
He hopes to gain from his crime.
They will gain from the training.
The students gained from military training.
They gained greatly from this experiment.
在这次实验中,他们收获很大。gain sth from sb/sth
I gained a good deal of enlightenment from him.
I gained a lot from my former experiences.
Men gained rich experience both from their success and from their failures.
He gained all this information from books, not from direct experience.
- gain ground( v.+n. )
前进，取得进步 go forward; make progress
- gain in( v.+prep. )
在…(方面)增加; 增长 increase in
gain in sth
You gained in wheat but lost in cotton.
He is gaining in weight after his recovery from illness.
They have gained in strength.
Alfred is a person who never seems to gain in wisdom, no matter how painful the results of his actions may be.
艾尔弗雷德是这样一个人,不管他的行为会产生多么痛苦的后果,似乎都不会使他聪明些。gain sth in v-ing
She has already gained some experience in teaching.
- gain on〔upon〕( v.+prep. )
超过 outstrip; surpass; exceed
- gain over1 (v.+adv.)
争取过来 win over; convert
gain sb ⇔ over
They have gained him over.
They gained him over in the debate.
They expect to gain over a lot of converts.
The new leader's popularity gained over many members of the opposing party.
I don't think you will succeed in gaining him over to our side.
- gain over2 (v.+prep.)
争取过来 win over; convert
gain sth over sb
Tom is trying to gain an advantage over me by getting Dick's support.
- gain a living 谋生,维持生计
- gain a prize 获奖
- gain a wide knowledge 获得广博的知识
- gain approval 得到批准〔认可〕
- gain ground 有进步,有起色,占优势
- gain impetus 获得动力
- gain land from sea 围海滩垦地
- gain momentum 获得势头
- gain one's interest 获得利益
- gain one's point 贯彻自己的意见
- gain permission 获得准许
- gain possession of sth 获得〔占有〕某物
- gain recognition 得到承认
- gain sb's attention 吸引某人注意
- gain speed 增加速度
- gain strength 恢复体力
- gain success 获得成功
- gain the battle 打胜仗
- gain time (故意)拖延时间,争取时间,(钟表)走得快
- gain wealth 获得财富
- gain weight (人)发胖,(牲畜)长膘
- gain wind 占上风
- gain a lot 大有好转
- gain daily 一天天好转
- gain finally 最终到达
- gain greatly 收获很大
- gain obviously 显然有利
- gain significantly 大大提高
- gain steadily 稳步赶上
- gain over 把…争取到自己一边,说服
- gain by 从…中获得利益
- gain from 在…收获,从…中获益
- gain in 增加,增进,积累,获得,在…方面增进
- gain in experience 积累经验
- gain in favour 更加受欢迎
- gain in health 恢复健康
- gain in influence 扩大影响
- gain in knowledge 增长知识
- gain in speed 增加速度
- gain in strength 恢复体力
- gain in weight 增加体重
- gain on〔upon〕 接近,逼近,逐渐赶上,追上,跑得比…快,超过
- gain on sb in a race 比赛中赶上某人
- gain an advantage over 胜过,占优势,占上风
- gain with an effort 努力获得
- achieve gains 得到利益
- consolidate one's gains 巩固自己的成果
- count one's gains 计算收益
- nullify a gain 使无利可图
- seek gain 牟利
- considerable gains 显著提高
- enormous gain 巨大的收获
- gradual gain 逐渐加快
- ill-gotten gains 不义之财
- personal gain 个人利益
- petty gains 小便宜
- substantial gain 巨大的进展
- tangible gain 实际的收益
- tremendous gain 巨大的收获
(After long fightyng) bothe parties departed without either greate gain or losse.出自： Joseph Hall
Greedy as they were of gain, they seldom became rich.出自： Ld Macaulay
The dull, flat voice gained a trace of animation.出自： I. Fleming
His ideas on Church Reform..gained him a good deal of respect.出自： W. Golding
Psychoanalysis..can gain access to the contents of the Unconscious.出自： E. Gellner
- gain用作不及物动词时后接介词in表示“在某方面有所增长”; 后接介词on或upon表示“接近,胜过或赶上”。
Her talent and hard work gained her success as an artist.
- gain, achieve, acquire, attain, earn, get, obtain, secure, win
- 这组词的共同意思是“取得; 获得”。其区别是：
- 2.achieve主要指取得成功、成就或实现预期目的; acquire主要指逐渐获得知识、能力、荣誉等; attain主要指达到重要目标或获得珍贵的东西; earn凭借功劳赚得或获得工资、报酬、荣誉、赞赏等; gain主要指获得或赢得有一定价值的东西; get指以各种方式获得各种所需或不需之物; obtain指获得所需之物或达到预期目的; secure指得到渴望或竞争性的东西; win指在竞争、比赛、争论或战斗中击败对手而赢得胜利或获得人们的爱戴〔好感〕等。
- 3.achieve指克服困难之后而获得; acquire, attain, earn指通过努力而获得; gain指通过巨大努力而获得; obtain多指通过长期努力而获得,有时也指无须经过努力; 其他各词不强调通过努力与否; get可指通过各种方式获得; earn还指凭借功劳而赚得; win还指通过作出优异成绩而赢得。
- 4.achieve强调结果; acquire强调量的增加; attain含有达到完美地步的意味; gain强调所获得之物能够造成的优势; obtain强调愿望得到满足; secure强调有把握或成功地获得。
- 5.get是这组同义词中的最常用词,可指主动争取,也可指被动接受,有时不一定需要很大努力就能获得; acquire指持续,慢慢地获得,强调过程; 而earn, gain都强调经过艰苦努力而获得的这一结果, gain比obtain所付出的努力还要大些; win则指在竞赛中或战斗中赢得或获得胜利,可以通过努力获得,也可以偶然获得。例如:
- He did not get what he had earned他未获得他应得到的东西。
- The ability to use a language can be acquired by the act of using the language.运用语言的能力,只能通过不断练习才能获得。
- She gained rich experience in teaching.她获得了丰富的教学经验。
- I've got your telegram.我已经收到了你的电报。
- We wished to obtain first-hand information.我们要能得到第一手情报就好了。
- Industry won him his success.勤奋使他获得了成功。
- 6.acquire的宾语多为知识、技能等; earn的宾语多为金钱、荣誉等理应得到的东西; obtain的宾语多为期望已久的东西; gain的宾语多为经验、利益、优势、好处等; 而win的宾语则为比赛、战斗等; get的宾语则比较广泛,即既可以是具体的东西,也可以是抽象的事物。例如:
- He got what he had earned.他获得了他应得到的东西。
- You must work hard to acquire good knowledge of English.你要用功,以便精通英语。
- Our firm has gained a good reputation.我们公司赢得了好名声。
- Then I'll go and get you a chair.我去给你拿把椅子来。
- At last, he obtained his father's pardon.他终于得到了父亲的原谅。
- They won the basketball match.他们打赢了这场篮球赛。
- 7.这组动词都可跟简单宾语。get, earn, gain, obtain, secure和win可跟双宾语; secure还可跟wh-从句; win还可跟含不定式的复合宾语。此外, gain和win有时还可用作不及物动词。acquire和attain常跟抽象名词。
- ☆ 15世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自中古法语的中古法；最初源自古法语的gaaigne，意为获取，优势。
- win n.