cut down on; make a reduction in;
"reduce your daily fat intake"
"The employer wants to cut back health benefits"
cut with sweeping strokes; as with an ax or machete
cause to come or go down;
"The policeman downed the heavily armed suspect"
"The mugger knocked down the old lady after she refused to hand over her wallet"
intercept (a player)
cut with a blade or mower;
"mow the grass"
cause to fall by or as if by delivering a blow;
"strike down a tree"
"Lightning struck down the hikers"
- The workers had to take a cut in pay.
- They are trying to whittle down our salaries.
- You'd better cut your report to five pages.
- Not a single word in the document can be cut.
- A child was struck down by lightning in the storm.
- He knocked down his opponent with a powerful left.
- He is said to have been blasted down by his nephew.
- The king put down the uprising and killed all the slaves involved.