- v. 修剪；削减；装饰；调整帆以适应风向
- adj. 整洁的；匀称的
- n. 修剪；整齐；装饰
- 持观望态度，取中间立场，两面讨好，随风转舵 ，骑墙
- vt. 修剪; 修整 make neat, even, or tidy by cutting or removing unwanted parts
- vt. 削减 reduce, especially by removing what is unnecessary
a state of arrangement or appearance;
"in good trim"
a decoration or adornment on a garment;
"the trimming on a hat"
"the trim on a shirt"
attitude of an aircraft in flight when allowed to take its own orientation
cutting down to the desired size or shape
thin and fit;
"the spare figure of a marathon runner"
"a body kept trim by exercise"
of places; characterized by order and neatness; free from disorder;
"even the barn was shipshape"
"a trim little sailboat"
neat and smart in appearance;
"a clean-cut and well-bred young man"
"the trig corporal in his jaunty cap"
"a trim beard"
severely simple in line or design;
"a neat tailored suit"
remove the edges from and cut down to the desired size;
"pare one's fingernails"
"trim the photograph"
decorate, as with ornaments;
"trim the christmas tree"
"trim a shop window"
cut down on; make a reduction in;
"reduce your daily fat intake"
"The employer wants to cut back health benefits"
balance in flight by regulating the control surfaces;
"trim an airplane"
be in equilibrium during a flight;
"The airplane trimmed"
decorate (food), as with parsley or other ornamental foods
cultivate, tend, and cut back the growth of;
"dress the plants in the garden"
"trim my beard"
adjust (sails on a ship) so that the wind is optimally used
- I'll have my hair trimmed tomorrow.
- We have to trim our cost if we want to increase our profit.
- They trim their Christmas trees with strings of colored lights.
- The crew is in trim for the boat-race.
- The new house has a trim appearance.
- My daughter has a trim figure.
- I'd just like a trim and don't make it too short.
- Everything in his tool chest was in good trim.
- Install door waterdam and trim panel.
- I bought a dress with golden lace trim.
- The gardener trimmed the hedge.
- He trimmed his hair carefully.
- The children were trimming the Christmas tree.
- You must trim your costs if you want to make bigger profits.
- The government trimmed thousands from federal payrollers.
- The crew trimmed the sails of the ship to achieve greater speed.
- His beard was freshly trimmed.
- trim away (v.+adv.)
修剪掉 cut away neatly
trim sth ⇔ away
He has trimmed away all the rough edges on that hedge.
Waste material has been trimmed away.
- trim down (v.+adv.)
削减 reduce the bulk of
- trim off (v.+adv.)
修剪掉 remove by cutting neatly
trim sth ⇔ off
He has trimmed off all the jagged pieces in the hedge.
- trim up (v.+adv.)
把…打扮得整整齐齐 make neat in dress and appearance
- trim cautiously 小心地修剪
- trim exquisitely 细致地修剪
- trim fastidiously 过分讲究地修剪
- trim judiciously 慎重地修剪
- trim symbolically 象征性地修剪
- trim tastefully 有鉴赏力地修剪
- trim away 剪断,剪掉
- trim away the edge of a photograph 剪齐相片
- trim down branches 剪下树枝
- trim off 把…修剪掉
- trim dead leaves off 剪掉枯叶
- trim off the edge of a photograph 剪齐相片
- trim off the loose threads 把露出的线头修剪掉
- trim up 修整,把…打扮得整整齐齐
A ship requires a different trim for every variation of the..wind.出自： T. Reid
By pumping water..sideways trim can be altered to eliminate list.出自： C. Francis
His trim figure and his..attractive stance.出自： A. Thwaite
Into the grounds of Ham House. Across the trim lawns.出自： G. Swift
He had not so trimm'd and dress'd his land As we this garden.出自：Richard II , Shakespeare
Xerxes..Trimmed vain fleets for thy undoing.出自： J. S. Blackie
- trim, crop, poll, prune, shear
- crop指剪去顶部,目的在于加以区分或惩罚; shear指剪匀、剪平(如修剪草坪)以改善其品质; poll指剪枝,目的在于使其生长良好; trim指剪掉多余物以改善其外在形态; prune则既可指剪去外表的多余物,又可指删去内容的无用部分,从形式到内容全面提高其品质。例如:
- They will be shearing the meadow next week.他们将在下星期修剪草地。
- We polled many trees the day before yesterday.前天,我们给树剪了枝。
- Trim off the loose threads.剪掉松开的线头。
- They were pruning roses.他们正在修剪玫瑰。
- You should prune the speech down; it's too long.你的演讲应该删掉一些,它太长了。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的trymman，意为加强，准备好；最初源自该语的trum，意为强壮，稳定。