- vt. & vi. 伸开,展开,摊开 become wider
- vt. & vi. 传播,散布 (cause to) become widely known
- [S] 传播,蔓延 the act or action of spreading
- [C] 幅度,范围 a range or area over which sth spreads
- [U] 涂抹食品的酱 a soft food for spreading on bread, etc.
- [C] 整版的文章,整版的广告 a newspaper or magazine article or advertisement usually covering one or more pages and with pictures
- process or result of distributing or extending over a wide expanse of space
- a conspicuous disparity or difference as between two figures;
"gap between income and outgo"
"the spread between lending and borrowing costs"
- farm consisting of a large tract of land along with facilities needed to raise livestock (especially cattle)
- a haphazard distribution in all directions
- a tasty mixture to be spread on bread or crackers or used in preparing other dishes
- a meal that is well prepared and greatly enjoyed;
"a banquet for the graduating seniors"
"the Thanksgiving feast"
"they put out quite a spread"
- two facing pages of a book or other publication
- the expansion of a person's girth (especially at middle age);
"she exercised to avoid that middle-aged spread"
- decorative cover for a bed
- act of extending over a wider scope or expanse of space or time
- distributed or spread over a considerable extent;
"has ties with many widely dispersed friends"
"eleven million Jews are spread throughout Europe"
- prepared or arranged for a meal; especially having food set out;
"a table spread with food"
- fully extended in width;
"with arms spread wide"
- distribute or disperse widely;
"The invaders spread their language all over the country"
- become distributed or widespread;
"the infection spread"
"Optimism spread among the population"
- spread across or over;
"A big oil spot spread across the water"
- spread out or open from a closed or folded state;
"open the map"
"spread your arms"
- cause to become widely known;
"circulate a rumor"
"broadcast the news"
- become widely known and passed on;
"the rumor spread"
"the story went around in the office"
- strew or distribute over an area;
"He spread fertilizer over the lawn"
"scatter cards across the table"
- move outward;
"The soldiers fanned out"
- cover by spreading something over;
"spread the bread with cheese"
- distribute over a surface in a layer;
"spread cheese on a piece of bread"
- The radio spread the news as soon as the accident happened .
- The rumor was widely spread among the crowd.
- She spread her wings and flew lightly down.
- I spread my arms as far apart as I could.
- Who spread these rumours?
- We spread a rug on the grass for the picnic.
- He spread the map flat out on the floor.
- Its branches spread far and wide.
- But Langston Hughes spread his creative wings even further.
- I spread butter on my toast.
- She spread the bread with butter.
- The survey revealed a wide spread of opinion.
- What can we do to prevent the spread of the disease?
- Tv has become a more powerful vehicle for the spread of news.
- The wings of the bird have a 12-inch spread.
- The spread of the prairies was indeed a startling sight.
- Our host had a fine spread waiting for us.
Its branches spread far and wide.
The afforestation movement rapidly spread.
Spreading her wings, the bird headed for the island.
Dinner is ready. Spread the tablecloth!
We spread lime where the soil was sour.
Flies spread disease.
The radio spread the news as soon as it happened.
The chief of the police force spread the word that he would put to death all the arrested student representatives.
用于be ～ed 结构
The sea, blue and still, was spread before us.
Fertilizer must be spread evenly.
Please spread me some bread with butter.
He spread a blanket for me on the bed.
Many college students spread themselves thin by taking part in many activities during the semester.
Standing up, he unbuckled his belt, and spread it laden across his waist.
They spread themselves to entertain the visitors.
In the room there was a long table spread with candies, biscuits and fruits.
In the centre, there was a table spread with every luxury.
He saw before him a meadow spread with daisies.
The spread of cholera alarmed the whole city.
The spread of disease frightened the villagers.
The new drug arrested the spread of the disease.
We must try all means to block the spread of the epidemic.
The spread of this bird's wings is 20 feet long.
Our host has fine spread waiting for us.
The sun was now breaking through a fine spread of cloud.
These are biscuits coated with chocolate spread.
I like those cookies that are coated with chocolate spread.
Your double-page spread seems rather thin in places; can you fatten it out a little?
This diagram fits well into the spread.
- spread about〔around〕 (v.+adv.)
广泛散布scatter; spread widely spread sth ⇔ about〔around〕
Would you spread the news about that he is coming?请你宣布一下他要来的消息好吗?用于 be ～ed 结构
The papers were spread about on the desks and even on the floor.文件散布在桌上,甚至在地板上。
- 广泛散布scatter; spread widely spread sth ⇔ about〔around〕
- spread abroad (v.+adv.)
传布,公开publicize spread sth abroad
Spread it abroad!把它公开!
He has spread the news abroad that you are leaving.他散布一个消息,说你要离开了。
- 传布,公开publicize spread sth abroad
- spread for (v.+prep.)
绵延; 伸展 stretch out spread for sth
The deposits spread for 100 kilometres across four counties.这些矿藏绵延一百公里,跨越四个县。
The top branches of that oak tree spread for forty feet.那棵橡树的顶部树枝向四周伸展40英尺。
- 绵延; 伸展 stretch out spread for sth
- spread in (v.+prep.)
在…中传开 extend in sth spread in sth
The pests spread quickly in these regions.虫害在这些地区迅速蔓延。
The news of this accident soon spread in London.这个事故的消息很快就在伦敦传开。
- 在…中传开 extend in sth spread in sth
- spread on (v.+prep.)
在…上铺上 unfold sth on sth spread sth on sth
An old worker spread his padded coat on the floor and insisted that I lie down for a while.一位老工人把大衣铺在地上,一定要我在上面躺一会儿。
- 在…上铺上 unfold sth on sth spread sth on sth
- spread oneself
(平直地)舒展 extend; be extravagant
Tired of running, he spread himself on the ground. 他跑累了,舒展着仰卧在地上。
- (平直地)舒展 extend; be extravagant
- spread out (v.+adv.)
伸展; 延长extend; stretch spread out
The wood spread out in all directions.树木向四面八方延伸。
A scene of prosperity spreads out before us.一种欣欣向荣的景象展现在我们面前。spread sth ⇔ out
Spread the cloth out fully.把布完全地展开。用于 be ～ed 结构
The resources are spread out too thin.资源分布得极为贫乏。
分散; 散布scatter spread out
Spread out more. Don't bunch up on the centre.再散开一点,不要都挤在中间。
付清 pay out spread sth ⇔ out over sth
They spread the payments out over three years.他们分三年把款付清。
They will spread their payment of the loan out over a long period of time.他们将用很长时间分期偿还这笔贷款。
- 伸展; 延长extend; stretch spread out
- spread over (v.+prep.)
分散; 传开 extend over spread over sth
The disease spread over the whole country.这种疾病在全国传播开了。spread sth over sth
She spread her toys all over her room.她在她屋里到处放玩具。
- 分散; 传开 extend over spread over sth
- spread throughout (v.+prep.)
传遍 propagate; pass on spread throughout sth
News of their victory spread throughout the country.他们胜利的消息传遍了全国。
- 传遍 propagate; pass on spread throughout sth
- spread to (v.+prep.)
蔓延 extend spread to sth
The flames soon spread to the other buildings.大火很快蔓延到其他建筑物。
The strike soon spread to other parts of this island country.罢工不久就蔓延到了这个岛国的所有其他地方。
- 蔓延 extend spread to sth
- spread with (v.+prep.)
用…涂满 extend sth with sth spread sth with sth
Did you spread the bread with butter?你在面包上抹黄油了吗?
- 用…涂满 extend sth with sth spread sth with sth
- spread disease 传播疾病
- spread lime 撒上石灰
- spread the news 播放新闻
- spread the rumours 散布谣言
- spread the table cloth 铺上桌布
- spread the wings 展开翅膀
- spread the word 扬言
- spread breathlessly 匆忙伸开
- spread cautiously 小心翼翼地伸开
- spread conscientiously 诚心诚意地传播
- spread daringly 大胆地传播
- spread dramatically 出人意料地传播
- spread emphatically 重点传播
- spread energetically 充满活力地伸开
- spread eventually 最终展开
- spread extemporaneously 临时地传播
- spread falteringly 犹豫地散布
- spread fully 全面蔓延
- spread gracefully 优雅地伸开
- spread hesitatingly 犹豫不决地伸开
- spread hurriedly 匆匆地传播
- spread ignobly 不光彩地传播
- spread immediately 立即伸开
- spread inadvertently 非故意地展开
- spread ingeniously 巧妙地伸开
- spread insidiously 不知不觉地蔓延
- spread instinctively 本能地传播
- spread moderately 适度传播
- spread mysteriously 秘密地伸开
- spread officially 正式传播
- spread partially 部分展开
- spread peacefully 平静地伸开
- spread philosophically 冷静地伸开
- spread politely 彬彬有礼地伸开
- spread regionally 区域性传播
- spread regularly 定期地传播
- spread religiously 传播宗教
- spread reluctantly 不情愿地传播
- spread ruthlessly 无情地蔓延
- spread satisfactorily 满意地伸开
- spread scathingly 不留情地蔓延
- spread scrupulously 谨慎地伸开
- spread selectively 有选择地传播
- spread spaciously 宽敞地展开
- spread strenuously 艰难地传播
- spread temporarily 暂时伸开
- spread thoughtlessly 轻率地传播
- spread unceremoniously 无礼地伸开
- spread unconsciously 下意识地传播
- spread unhesitatingly 毫不犹豫地展开
- spread usefully 有效地传播
- spread viciously 恶意地传播
- spread voluntarily 自动传播
- spread about 传播,传开去,散放着
- spread about on the desk (文件)散放在写字台上
- spread the news about 把此消息传出去
- spread around that story 散布传说
- spread out 伸张,铺开,扩展,展开,摊开
- spread out arms 伸开双臂
- spread out fingers 把五指伸开
- spread beyond the walls of the college 传到大学外边
- spread for hundreds of miles 绵延数百英里
- spread from...to 从…传到…
- spread from mouth to mouth 众口流传
- spread on 在…上涂
- spread butter on bread 在面包上涂黄油
- spread over 传遍,遍布,延续,覆盖
- spread over the city (消息)传遍全城
- spread through the village 传遍全村
- spread to 蔓延到
- spread to the houses nearby 蔓延至附近的居民
- spread to the other buildings (大火)蔓延到别的建筑
- spread with 用…涂…
- spread with butter 在…上涂黄油
- spread with jam 用果酱涂…
- spread with wild flowers 野花烂漫
With a sardonic..spread of his hands.出自：M. Spark
To allow the spread of payment over eight years.出自：Accountant
A male may..have arms with a spread of 2 1 / 2 metres.出自：D. Attenborough
A Bannerd Host Under spread Ensigns marching.出自：Milton
Four partridges..sailed down, spread-winged, into the field.出自：R. Adams
You see rice spread out to dry.出自：C. Mungoshi
She..spread out her pad, ballpoint pen, and a box of tissues.出自：J. Rossner
He spread a tartan rug gently over her.出自：B. W. Aldiss
A cop got out of the car...'OK...Spread those legs, lean over the hood.'出自：R. Rayner
- spread的基本意思是“伸开”,指把卷或叠着的东西展开或向四面八方扩大范围,强调有目的地均匀撒开。所涉及的空间范围可大可小; 可以计算,也可能无法计算。也可指在某物表面上敷上薄薄一层东西,引申可指某物“变得更流行”。
- spread的宾语后接介词on引起的短语,表示“把…铺在或涂在…上”; 接介词with引起的短语,表示“用…铺满或涂满”。
- spread, circulate, diffuse, disseminate, expand, extend, propagate, radiate
这组词都有“延伸”“延长”“伸展”“展开”的意思。其区别是：1.spread指向四面八方扩大范围。2.circulate指无拘无束地或不间断地传播、散布到各处。例如:She opened a window to allow the air to circulate.她打开窗户使空气流通。3.disseminate指到处传播思想、理论等。例如:They use the press to disseminate right wing views.他们利用报刊来传播右翼观点。4.diffuse指光线、声音、气味等在空中传送或散布。例如:Light diffused from the window.光从窗户射进来。5.extend指延展物体的长度、宽度,延伸或扩大某一事物,以及延长时间、期限等,也指伸开四肢或躯体。例如:They extended the road for three more miles.他们把那条路又延长了三英里多。The headmaster extended our holidays by a week.校长把我们的假期延长了一个星期。6.expand指扩大面积或体积,也指把合拢的东西放开(即三维)。例如:This county has expanded its area under cultivation by more than 50,000 mu .该县扩大了50,000亩耕地。Heat expands metals.热使金属膨胀。He does exercises to expand his chest.他做体操扩胸。7.propagate通常指宣传某种信念、看法或传播某种言论,以使更多的人相信或参与。例如:We should not only learn knowledge, but also propagate it.我们不仅应学习知识,而且应传播它。The Greek civilization was propagated all over Europe.希腊文明传播至整个欧洲。8.radiate指从中心向四面八方散发,是技术用语,特指光或热的辐射。例如:The sun radiates light and heat.太阳放射光和热。The electric heater radiated warmth.电暖器散发出热量。
- spread, scatter
这两个词都有“散布”“撒开”的意思。其区别是：1.spread强调有目的地均匀涂抹、撒开。其宾语可以是具体名词,也可以是抽象名词。2.scatter强调随意性和无规律性,其宾语则只能是具体名词。例如:The police scattered the disorderly crowd.警察驱散了骚乱的人群。The thundershower had temporarily scattered the swimmers.雷阵雨暂时驱散了游泳的人。
- We spread the butter on the bread at din- ner.
- We spread the butter over the bread at dinner.
- We spread the bread with butter at dinner.
- Spread some newspapers on the floor to catch the dust.
- Spread some newspapers over the floor to catch the dust.
- Spread the floor with some newspapers to catch the dust.
- scatter disperse spread diffuse
误 Birth control is being widely spread.
正 Birth control is being widely practised.
析 birth control不能与spread搭配,可以改用动词 practise。也可以用 practice (名词)作主语,用“is+widespread (形容词)”作谓语,例如:
- The practice of birth control is widespread.另外,“计划生育”还常译作 family planning。
错句：the loudspeakers were spreading folk songs.
纠正：the loudspeakers were broadcasting folk songs.
- ☆ 1200年左右进入英语，直接源自古英语的sprdan，意为铺开；最初源自原始日耳曼语的sparidijanan，意为铺展开。
- spread:spread n. 伸展, 展开, 传播, 蔓延, 酒席, 宴会, 桌布v. 伸展, 展开, 铺, 涂, 敷, 摆, 传播, 散布 英英解释:名词spread:1. process or result…