- v. 传播；展开；散布；铺开；伸展；涂撒
- n. 范围；传播；差额；幅度；盛宴
- vt. & vi. 伸开,展开,摊开 become wider
- vt. & vi. 传播,散布 (cause to) become widely known
- [S] 传播,蔓延 the act or action of spreading
- [C] 幅度,范围 a range or area over which sth spreads
- [U] 涂抹食品的酱 a soft food for spreading on bread, etc.
- [C] 整版的文章,整版的广告 a newspaper or magazine article or advertisement usually covering one or more pages and with pictures
process or result of distributing or extending over a wide expanse of space
a conspicuous disparity or difference as between two figures;
"gap between income and outgo"
"the spread between lending and borrowing costs"
farm consisting of a large tract of land along with facilities needed to raise livestock (especially cattle)
a haphazard distribution in all directions
a tasty mixture to be spread on bread or crackers or used in preparing other dishes
a meal that is well prepared and greatly enjoyed;
"a banquet for the graduating seniors"
"the Thanksgiving feast"
"they put out quite a spread"
two facing pages of a book or other publication
the expansion of a person's girth (especially at middle age);
"she exercised to avoid that middle-aged spread"
decorative cover for a bed
act of extending over a wider scope or expanse of space or time
distributed or spread over a considerable extent;
"has ties with many widely dispersed friends"
"eleven million Jews are spread throughout Europe"
prepared or arranged for a meal; especially having food set out;
"a table spread with food"
fully extended in width;
"with arms spread wide"
distribute or disperse widely;
"The invaders spread their language all over the country"
become distributed or widespread;
"the infection spread"
"Optimism spread among the population"
spread across or over;
"A big oil spot spread across the water"
spread out or open from a closed or folded state;
"open the map"
"spread your arms"
cause to become widely known;
"circulate a rumor"
"broadcast the news"
become widely known and passed on;
"the rumor spread"
"the story went around in the office"
strew or distribute over an area;
"He spread fertilizer over the lawn"
"scatter cards across the table"
"The soldiers fanned out"
cover by spreading something over;
"spread the bread with cheese"
distribute over a surface in a layer;
"spread cheese on a piece of bread"
- The radio spread the news as soon as the accident happened .
- The rumor was widely spread among the crowd.
- She spread her wings and flew lightly down.
- I spread my arms as far apart as I could.
- Who spread these rumours?
- We spread a rug on the grass for the picnic.
- He spread the map flat out on the floor.
- Its branches spread far and wide.
- But Langston Hughes spread his creative wings even further.
- I spread butter on my toast.
- She spread the bread with butter.
- The current survey will have a wider geographic spread.
- The survey revealed a wide spread of opinion.
- What can we do to prevent the spread of the disease?
- Tv has become a more powerful vehicle for the spread of news.
- The wings of the bird have a 12-inch spread.
- The spread of the prairies was indeed a startling sight.
- Our host had a fine spread waiting for us.
- Its branches spread far and wide.
- The afforestation movement rapidly spread.
- Spreading her wings, the bird headed for the island.
- Dinner is ready. Spread the tablecloth!
- We spread lime where the soil was sour.
- Flies spread disease.
- The radio spread the news as soon as it happened.
- The chief of the police force spread the word that he would put to death all the arrested student representatives.
- The sea, blue and still, was spread before us.
- Fertilizer must be spread evenly.
- Please spread me some bread with butter.
- He spread a blanket for me on the bed.
- Many college students spread themselves thin by taking part in many activities during the semester.
- Standing up, he unbuckled his belt, and spread it laden across his waist.
- They spread themselves to entertain the visitors.
- In the room there was a long table spread with candies, biscuits and fruits.
- In the centre, there was a table spread with every luxury.
- He saw before him a meadow spread with daisies.
- The spread of cholera alarmed the whole city.
- The spread of disease frightened the villagers.
- The new drug arrested the spread of the disease.
- We must try all means to block the spread of the epidemic.
- The spread of this bird's wings is 20 feet long.
- Our host has fine spread waiting for us.
- The sun was now breaking through a fine spread of cloud.
- These are biscuits coated with chocolate spread.
- I like those cookies that are coated with chocolate spread.
- Your double-page spread seems rather thin in places; can you fatten it out a little?
- This diagram fits well into the spread.
- spread about〔around〕 (v.+adv.)
广泛散布scatter; spread widely
spread sth ⇔ about〔around〕
Would you spread the news about that he is coming?
The papers were spread about on the desks and even on the floor.
- spread abroad (v.+adv.)
spread sth abroad
Spread it abroad!
He has spread the news abroad that you are leaving.
- spread for (v.+prep.)
绵延; 伸展 stretch out
spread for sth
The deposits spread for 100 kilometres across four counties.
The top branches of that oak tree spread for forty feet.
- spread in (v.+prep.)
在…中传开 extend in sth
spread in sth
The pests spread quickly in these regions.
The news of this accident soon spread in London.
- spread on (v.+prep.)
在…上铺上 unfold sth on sth
spread sth on sth
An old worker spread his padded coat on the floor and insisted that I lie down for a while.
- spread oneself
(平直地)舒展 extend; be extravagant
- spread out (v.+adv.)
付清 pay out
The wood spread out in all directions.
A scene of prosperity spreads out before us.
一种欣欣向荣的景象展现在我们面前。spread sth ⇔ out
Spread the cloth out fully.
The resources are spread out too thin.
Spread out more. Don't bunch up on the centre.
再散开一点,不要都挤在中间。spread sth ⇔ out over sth
They spread the payments out over three years.
They will spread their payment of the loan out over a long period of time.
- spread over (v.+prep.)
分散; 传开 extend over
spread over sth
The disease spread over the whole country.
这种疾病在全国传播开了。spread sth over sth
She spread her toys all over her room.
- spread throughout (v.+prep.)
传遍 propagate; pass on
spread throughout sth
News of their victory spread throughout the country.
- spread to (v.+prep.)
spread to sth
The flames soon spread to the other buildings.
The strike soon spread to other parts of this island country.
- spread with (v.+prep.)
用…涂满 extend sth with sth
spread sth with sth
Did you spread the bread with butter?
- spread disease 传播疾病
- spread lime 撒上石灰
- spread the news 播放新闻
- spread the rumours 散布谣言
- spread the table cloth 铺上桌布
- spread the wings 展开翅膀
- spread the word 扬言
- spread breathlessly 匆忙伸开
- spread cautiously 小心翼翼地伸开
- spread conscientiously 诚心诚意地传播
- spread daringly 大胆地传播
- spread dramatically 出人意料地传播
- spread emphatically 重点传播
- spread energetically 充满活力地伸开
- spread eventually 最终展开
- spread extemporaneously 临时地传播
- spread falteringly 犹豫地散布
- spread fully 全面蔓延
- spread gracefully 优雅地伸开
- spread hesitatingly 犹豫不决地伸开
- spread hurriedly 匆匆地传播
- spread ignobly 不光彩地传播
- spread immediately 立即伸开
- spread inadvertently 非故意地展开
- spread ingeniously 巧妙地伸开
- spread insidiously 不知不觉地蔓延
- spread instinctively 本能地传播
- spread moderately 适度传播
- spread mysteriously 秘密地伸开
- spread officially 正式传播
- spread partially 部分展开
- spread peacefully 平静地伸开
- spread philosophically 冷静地伸开
- spread politely 彬彬有礼地伸开
- spread regionally 区域性传播
- spread regularly 定期地传播
- spread religiously 传播宗教
- spread reluctantly 不情愿地传播
- spread ruthlessly 无情地蔓延
- spread satisfactorily 满意地伸开
- spread scathingly 不留情地蔓延
- spread scrupulously 谨慎地伸开
- spread selectively 有选择地传播
- spread spaciously 宽敞地展开
- spread strenuously 艰难地传播
- spread temporarily 暂时伸开
- spread thoughtlessly 轻率地传播
- spread unceremoniously 无礼地伸开
- spread unconsciously 下意识地传播
- spread unhesitatingly 毫不犹豫地展开
- spread usefully 有效地传播
- spread viciously 恶意地传播
- spread voluntarily 自动传播
- spread about 传播,传开去,散放着
- spread about on the desk (文件)散放在写字台上
- spread the news about 把此消息传出去
- spread around that story 散布传说
- spread out 伸张,铺开,扩展,展开,摊开
- spread out arms 伸开双臂
- spread out fingers 把五指伸开
- spread beyond the walls of the college 传到大学外边
- spread for hundreds of miles 绵延数百英里
- spread from...to 从…传到…
- spread from mouth to mouth 众口流传
- spread on 在…上涂
- spread butter on bread 在面包上涂黄油
- spread over 传遍,遍布,延续,覆盖
- spread over the city (消息)传遍全城
- spread through the village 传遍全村
- spread to 蔓延到
- spread to the houses nearby 蔓延至附近的居民
- spread to the other buildings (大火)蔓延到别的建筑
- spread with 用…涂…
- spread with butter 在…上涂黄油
- spread with jam 用果酱涂…
- spread with wild flowers 野花烂漫
With a sardonic..spread of his hands.出自： M. Spark
To allow the spread of payment over eight years.出自：Accountant
A male may..have arms with a spread of 2 1 / 2 metres.出自： D. Attenborough
A Bannerd Host Under spread Ensigns marching.出自： Milton
Four partridges..sailed down, spread-winged, into the field.出自： R. Adams
You see rice spread out to dry.出自： C. Mungoshi
She..spread out her pad, ballpoint pen, and a box of tissues.出自： J. Rossner
He spread a tartan rug gently over her.出自： B. W. Aldiss
A cop got out of the car...'OK...Spread those legs, lean over the hood.'出自： R. Rayner
- spread的基本意思是“伸开”,指把卷或叠着的东西展开或向四面八方扩大范围,强调有目的地均匀撒开。所涉及的空间范围可大可小; 可以计算,也可能无法计算。也可指在某物表面上敷上薄薄一层东西,引申可指某物“变得更流行”。
- spread的宾语后接介词on引起的短语,表示“把…铺在或涂在…上”; 接介词with引起的短语,表示“用…铺满或涂满”。
- spread, circulate, diffuse, disseminate, expand, extend, propagate, radiate
- She opened a window to allow the air to circulate.她打开窗户使空气流通。
- They use the press to disseminate right wing views.他们利用报刊来传播右翼观点。
- Light diffused from the window.光从窗户射进来。
- They extended the road for three more miles.他们把那条路又延长了三英里多。
- The headmaster extended our holidays by a week.校长把我们的假期延长了一个星期。
- This county has expanded its area under cultivation by more than 50,000 mu .该县扩大了50,000亩耕地。
- Heat expands metals.热使金属膨胀。
- He does exercises to expand his chest.他做体操扩胸。
- We should not only learn knowledge, but also propagate it.我们不仅应学习知识,而且应传播它。
- The Greek civilization was propagated all over Europe.希腊文明传播至整个欧洲。
- The sun radiates light and heat.太阳放射光和热。
- The electric heater radiated warmth.电暖器散发出热量。
- spread, scatter
- The police scattered the disorderly crowd.警察驱散了骚乱的人群。
- The thundershower had temporarily scattered the swimmers.雷阵雨暂时驱散了游泳的人。
- We spread the butter on the bread at din- ner.
- We spread the butter over the bread at dinner.
- We spread the bread with butter at dinner.
- Spread some newspapers on the floor to catch the dust.
- Spread some newspapers over the floor to catch the dust.
- Spread the floor with some newspapers to catch the dust.
误 Birth control is being widely spread.
正 Birth control is being widely practised.
析 birth control不能与spread搭配,可以改用动词 practise。也可以用 practice (名词)作主语,用“is+widespread (形容词)”作谓语,例如:The practice of birth control is widespread.另外,“计划生育”还常译作 family planning。
- ☆ 1200年左右进入英语，直接源自古英语的sprdan，意为铺开；最初源自原始日耳曼语的spraidijanan，意为铺展开。
- gather 聚集