- vt. & vi. 找寻 be in search of
- vt. & vi. 搜查,搜索,探查 look through; go over carefully; look for
- [C] [U] 搜索,寻找,探查 act of searching
- the activity of looking thoroughly in order to find something or someone
- an investigation seeking answers;
"a thorough search of the ledgers revealed nothing"
"the outcome justified the search"
- an operation that determines whether one or more of a set of items has a specified property;
"they wrote a program to do a table lookup"
- the examination of alternative hypotheses;
"his search for a move that would avoid checkmate was unsuccessful"
- boarding and inspecting a ship on the high seas;
"right of search"
- try to locate or discover, or try to establish the existence of;
"The police are searching for clues"
"They are searching for the missing man in the entire county"
- search or seek;
"We looked all day and finally found the child in the forest"
"Look elsewhere for the perfect gift!"
- inquire into;
"the students had to research the history of the Second World War for their history project"
"He searched for information on his relatives on the web"
"Scientists are exploring the nature of consciousness"
- subject to a search;
"The police searched the suspect"
"We searched the whole house for the missing keys"
- They searched the woods for the little boy.
- She searched through the pile of papers and found his letter underneath.
- He spent his life searching after truth.
- Investigators continue to search for the cause of the outbreak.
- The search proved fruitless.
- The search party spread out over the moor.
- The insurance company went to the hospital in search of the reason for his death.
They searched for eight days without finding a single clue.
We searched here and there, but could not find her.
The police have been searching around all day, stopping people and asking questions.
Her eyes were searching round.
Eight soldiers with rifles searched them from head to foot.
Two of the agents searched him, then led him out.
The enemy militia were searching all travellers.
They searched a criminal to see what he had in his pockets.
They searched him thoroughly, but nothing was found on him.
They searched Schweik thoroughly and found nothing except a pipe and some matches.
They searched every deedbox they had, but could not find the will.
We searched the whole town but could not find a barber-shop open.
They even searched their homes without any reason.
They searched the hamlet but were unable to find a single grain of food.
They searched every part of the building.
The enemy had searched the mountains for fifteen days without result.
They searched every nook and corner.
They hastily dispatched troops to search the neighbourhood.
The man searched the whole house with a flashlight inside out.
Big searchlights are searching the sky.
The cold wind searched the streets.
The doctor searched the wound and found the bullet.
He searched the records of the case.
I've searched my memory, but I can't remember that man's name.
Who was this Tom?Johnson searched his memory.
The house was searched very carefully.
They were searched every time they went through the gate.
In those days, our workers had no personal rights.We were searched thoroughly on entering and leaving the factory.
The suitcases were searched at the custom-house.
The search was abandoned when night came.
A search was made at once of his room.
I found the lock after a long search.
A massive sea search has failed to find any survivors.
The police search discovered no illegal drugs on the ship.
The soldiers were carrying out house to house searches.
- search after (v.+prep.)
- 寻找 look forFor a whole day they searched after the lost child.这个丢失的孩子他们找了一整天。
- 追求 seek; purpose; go afterHe said he was searching after truth.他说他在追求真理。
- search for (v.+prep.)
搜索,搜寻 look carefully for search for sb/sth
They searched for him everywhere.他们到处搜寻他。
We searched in vain for the missing child.我们到处寻找那孩子,但没有找到。
She next searched for a piece of blotting paper.接着她又去找一张吸墨纸。
She climbed the slippery slope with difficulty to search for herbs.她艰难地爬上滑坡寻找药草。
For over 100 years, men have been searching for gold in the hills.一百多年来,人们一直在山里寻找金子。
The newly married couple searched for rooms more suited to their needs.这对新婚夫妇到处寻找更适合他们需要的房子。
He who would search for pearls must dive below.要想找珍珠,就得下深海。
After he felt better, he searched for work at the various mills.他感到好些后,就在各工厂找工作。search sb/sth for sb/sth
The policemen searched them for concealed weapons.警察对他们进行了搜身,查找暗藏的武器。
In his off-hours he searched the public library for references.下班之后他就到公共图书馆去查找资料。
She was searching the shops for Jim's present.她为了给吉姆买件礼物,找遍了所有的店铺。
The villagers are helping to search the woods for the missing child.村民们正在帮助搜索树林寻找那个失踪的孩子。
I have searched my mind for a reason, but can't find one.我绞尽脑汁寻找原因,但是没找到。
She searched his face for some indication of how he felt.她在他脸上寻找某种能显示他感受的迹象。
- 搜索,搜寻 look carefully for search for sb/sth
- search into (v.+prep.)
调查 investigate; inquire search into sth
They are searching into this matter.他们正在调查这件事。
- 调查 investigate; inquire search into sth
- search me
- 〈口〉我哪里知道?我可不知道 I don't know
- search out (v.+adv.)
找到,查出 find out or uncover by searching search sb/sth ⇔ out
The police were trying to search out the real murderer.警察正尽力找出真正的凶手。
He searched out an old friend of his in a small town.在小镇上他找到一位老朋友。
It took me several weeks to search out the book that I wanted.我费了几个星期的时间才找到我需要的那本书。
They are trying to search out the few remaining errors in the script.他们正在努力查找原稿中所留下的少数错误。
We have searched out all the facts we need.我们已经弄清了我们所需要的全部事实真相。
The lawyer searched out the weaknesses in the witness's statement.律师从证人的证词中找出了破绽。
They have made up their minds to search out new techniques.他们决心寻找新技术。
- 找到,查出 find out or uncover by searching search sb/sth ⇔ out
- search through (v.+prep.)
搜遍,查遍 examine carefully and thoroughly search through sth
He searched through his pockets for a cigarette.他摸遍衣袋想找支烟。
You can search through his autobiography without finding a single reference to his first wife.你可以翻遍他的自传,可是你不会找到一点点有关他第一个妻子的情况。search through sth for sb/sth
Police with dogs are searching through the building for the criminal.警察带着警犬在大楼里搜捕该罪犯。
I spent ten minutes searching through the drawer for the key, and it was in my pocket all the time!我花了10分钟翻遍抽屉找钥匙,而钥匙竟一直在我的口袋里!
I spent half an hour searching through dictionaries for the meaning of that word.我花了半个小时的时间在许多字典中寻找那个字的意义。
- 搜遍,查遍 examine carefully and thoroughly search through sth
- in search of
寻找,寻求 searching for sb/sth
He ran in search of her. 他跑去找她。
The boys went in search of something to eat. 男孩子们找吃的去了。
The herdsmen are living a settled life instead of roaming from place to place in search of water and grass. 牧民们过着定居的生活,不再为了找水草而到处游牧。
I'm in search of a house to let. 我在寻找出租的房屋。
I went off in search of a garage where I could buy some petrol. 我跑去寻找加油站买汽油。
They went over nationwide in search of uranium mines. 他们为了探寻铀矿走遍了全国。
Scientists are in search of a cure for the disease. 科学家想研究出治疗这种疾病的方法。
Birds fly south in search of winter sun. 群鸟南飞,寻觅冬天的阳光。
- 寻找,寻求 searching for sb/sth
- search after
寻找 act of searching
His search after fame ended in failure. 他追求名望,最后以失败而告终。
- 寻找 act of searching
- search for
寻找 act of searching
The search for the missing man has not been successful. 失踪的男子至今没有找到。
The police will leave no stone unturned in their search for the bank robbers. 警察千方百计缉捕抢劫银行者。
Their search for the escaped convict went on for several days. 他们对逃跑的罪犯的寻找用了好几天。
Volunteers joined the search for the lost sheep. 有人自告奋勇地来寻找那失踪的绵羊。
They made a search for their subject books. 他们寻找有关自己学术专业的书籍。
I have made a search for the missing letter. 我已查找过那封遗失的信。
We did a computer search for all the hyphenated words. 我们用电脑查找所有用连字符连接的词。
- 寻找 act of searching
- search a place 搜索某地
- search every deedbox 找遍了文件箱
- search every part of the building 对全楼进行了搜查
- search passers-by 搜查行人
- search sb's conscience 自我反省
- search sb's face 察看某人的脸色
- search sb's heart 自我反省
- search sb's memory 想了又想,苦思良久
- search sb's pocket 在衣袋里摸索
- search the apartment building 搜查公寓
- search the dictionary 查词典
- search the hamlet 搜遍了整个村子
- search the house 搜查房子
- search the mountains 搜山
- search the neighbourhood 搜索附近一带
- search the records 仔细查阅记载
- search the sky 搜索天空
- search the train 搜查火车
- search the travellers 搜查过往的行人
- search the whole town 搜遍全城
- search the wound 探查伤口
- search annoyingly 令人讨厌地搜索
- search artfully 狡猾地搜索
- search blindly 盲目地搜索
- search bravely 勇敢地搜索
- search breathlessly 匆忙搜索
- search briefly 短暂地搜索
- search carefully 仔细地搜查
- search cautiously 小心翼翼地搜索
- search challengingly 具有挑战性地搜索
- search conscientiously 诚心诚意地搜索
- search decisively 彻底搜索
- search deliberately 故意搜索
- search diligently 努力地搜索
- search energetically 充满活力地搜索
- search frantically 狂热搜索
- search fruitlessly 无结果地搜索
- search generally 一般性地搜索
- search impetuously 鲁莽地搜索
- search importunately 急切地搜索
- search informally 非正式地搜索
- search instinctively 本能地搜索
- search insultingly 侮辱性地搜索
- search legally 合法搜索
- search ludicrously 荒唐可笑地搜索
- search masterfully 专横地搜索
- search normally 正常搜索
- search partly 部分搜索
- search patiently 耐心地搜索
- search professionally 熟练地搜索
- search purposely 特意地搜索
- search regularly 定期地搜索
- search relentlessly 残酷地搜索
- search remarkably 翔实可靠地搜索
- search scrupulously 谨慎地搜索
- search selectively 有选择地搜索
- search sententiously 故作庄严地搜索
- search spontaneously 自发地搜索
- search strictly 严格搜索
- search symbolically 象征性地搜索
- search thoroughly 彻底地搜查
- search tirelessly 不知疲倦地搜索
- search unaccountably 莫名其妙地搜索
- search unkindly 非善意地搜索
- search about 四出寻找
- search about for food 四出寻找食物
- search out 寻找,找出,查出
- search out book 找出书
- search out the real murderer 找到真正的凶手
- search after 寻找,探求
- search after happiness 追求幸福
- search after the lost key 寻找丢失的钥匙
- search after truth 追求真理
- search for 寻找,查找,搜索
- search for bodies 寻找死尸
- search for clues 查找线索
- search for evidence 找证据
- search for lost child 寻找失踪的孩子
- search for references 找资料
- search for the keys 寻找钥匙
- search for the missing papers 寻找丢失的文件
- search into 调查
- search into the matter 调查此事
- search over the city 搜遍全城
- search through 查遍
- search through all the drawers 寻遍所有的抽屉
- search through documents 查遍各文件
- search through purse 翻遍手袋
- search to the root of it 追根究底
- avoid a search 避开搜查
- begin a search 开始搜捕
- carry out a search 进行搜查
- end a search 结束搜查
- escape search 逃避搜查
- finish a search 结束搜查
- make a search 搜查,寻找
- undertake a search 进行搜索
- careful search 仔细的搜查
- close search 严密的搜查
- hole-and-corner search 秘密搜查
- house-to-house search 挨家挨户搜查
- massive search 大规模的搜查
- public search 公开搜查,当众搜查
- secret search 秘密搜查
- systematic search 有步骤的搜寻
- vain search 毫无结果的搜查
- in search of a cheap hotel 寻找便宜的旅馆
- in search of a missing child 寻找失踪的小孩
- in search of an opportunity to rise 寻找晋升的机会
- in search of employment 求职
- right of search 搜查权
Robin..absconded, and escaped all search.出自：Sir W. Scott
Our discussion..has been a search after knowledge.出自：B. Jowett
Without the computer, a visual search through printed lists would have been required.出自：Science
Continued her search and eventually..found the thin volume.出自：E. Baker
Final searches..made on the title deeds.出自：What Mortgage
Frogmen..searched the wreckage and recovered the four bodies.出自：Times
They've searched the island twiceshelicopters, dogs, the lot.出自：P. B. Yuill
search作动词指“寻找”，后面跟寻找的范围，而search for后面跟寻找的目标，search out则指“找到”。
We are searching the house.
We are searching for the house.
We will search out the house.
- search for和search after都有“努力寻找”的意思。偶尔忘记把东西摆放在哪时，通常用look for，而不用search for或search after；
She went about the garden in search for/of her lost ring.
- search接介词of侧重“寻找的对象”; 接介词for侧重“寻找的目的”。
- search, search for
search和search for都是“搜寻”“搜查”的意思,当search用作及物动词时,其后直接接名词,如房屋,人身,衣袋等,其后直接接人时,是“搜身”的意思; search for则强调有目的,当后面接人时,是“寻找”的意思。试比较下面两个句子的异同：
- The policemen are searching for the secret agent.
- The policemen searched the secret agent.
- search after, search for
这两个短语的共同意思是“搜寻”“搜查”,常可换用。其区别是：1.后者比前者更常用。2.前者可表示“追求”,而后者无此义。3.后者中的search可带宾语,即search sb/sth for sb/sth,而前者不能这样用。
- search, explore, hunt, seek
这四个词都有“寻找”“搜索”的意思。其区别在于：第一, hunt和search都是指搜寻具体的人或某一具体事物,而seek则指对崇高目的或抽象事物的追求或向往; explore指对未知事物或新生事物的探索、观察与研究。第二, hunt含有急切的意味,也常指无结果地寻找,而另外三词没有此种意味。例如:A police patrol was organized to search for him.警察巡逻队被组织起来去寻找他。We must explore all the possibilities.我们必须探讨所有的可能性。We are earnestly seeking after the truth.我们在认真地寻找真理。I've hunted high and low for my socks.我到处在找我的短袜。
- search, find
两者都可作“找,寻”解。其区别在于:find指找到某人或某物; 而search指为找到某人〔物〕而搜查某地点或某人之身,但是search之后,结果不一定是find sb/sth。
误 They started off at once in search for the missing girl.
正 They started off at once in search of the missing girl.
析 in search of为固定短语,意思是“找寻”,其中的of不能换为for。
错句：are they still searching their child?
纠正：are they still searching for their child?
- ☆ 14世纪初期入进英语，直接源自古法语的cerchier，意为追寻。
- SEARCH:Southwestern Endangered Aridland Resource Clearing HouseAridland资源的票据交换所西南濒临灭绝
- SEARCH:Study of Environmental Arctic Change (University of Washington Applied Physics Lab; Seattle, WA)学习环境的变化(北极华盛顿大学应用物理学实验室,西雅图,华盛顿州)
- SEARCH:Sexism, Ethnicity, Ageism, Racism, Culturalism, and Homophobia性别歧视、种族、Ageism、种族、Culturalism、同性恋恐惧症