- Leigh Hunt 亨特（1784-1859，英国诗人、评论家和小品文作者）
- Holman Hunt 亨特（1827-1901，英国画家）
- vt. & vi. 打猎,猎捕 chase (wild animals or game) and try to kill or capture them
- vt. & vi. 搜寻,寻找,追捕 search for; try to find
- vt. 驱逐,追逐 drive or chase away; pursue with hostility
- [C]打猎,猎取 act of hunting wild animals; chase
- [S]搜寻,寻找 act of looking for sth; search
- Englishman and Pre-Raphaelite painter (1827-1910)
- United States architect (1827-1895)
- British writer who defended the Romanticism of Keats and Shelley (1784-1859)
- an association of huntsmen who hunt for sport
- an instance of searching for something;
"the hunt for submarines"
- the activity of looking thoroughly in order to find something or someone
- the work of finding and killing or capturing animals for food or pelts
- the pursuit and killing or capture of wild animals regarded as a sport
- pursue for food or sport (as of wild animals);
"Goering often hunted wild boars in Poland"
"The dogs are running deer"
"The Duke hunted in these woods"
- pursue or chase relentlessly;
"The hunters traced the deer into the woods"
"the detectives hounded the suspect until they found him"
- chase away, with as with force;
"They hunted the unwanted immigrants out of the neighborhood"
- yaw back and forth about a flight path;
"the plane's nose yawed"
- oscillate about a desired speed, position, or state to an undesirable extent;
"The oscillator hunts about the correct frequency"
- seek, search for;
"She hunted for her reading glasses but was unable to locate them"
- search (an area) for prey;
"The King used to hunt these forests"
- The huntsman and I hunt the animals out of the garden.
- Wolves hunt in packs.
- They used to hunt with bows and arrows.
- He goes out on the weekends to hunt for game.
- John set out that day to hunt for work.
- We must hunt out all the facts we can.
- You'll have to hunt up the word in the dictionary.
- Police have launched a nationwide hunt for the killer.
- I am on the hunt for the perfect summer sandals.
The men only hunted, the women did everything else.
I've hunted everywhere but I can't find it.
They are hunting the foxes.
Police are hunting the killer.
They went to the island to hunt the buried treasure.
We hunted the neighbor's chickens out of our yard.
He was hunted out of the country.
I took part in the tiger hunt.
I had a good hunt for that book.
The police are on the hunt for further clues.
The hunt is on for the criminal.
I'm on the hunt for lodgings.
Despite a nationwide hunt for the kidnaping gang, not a trace of them was found.
- hunt after (v.+prep.)
追猎(某动物); 追逐(某物)try to gain (sth); chase and try to catch (sth) hunt after sth
Do you approve of hunting after foxes?你赞成猎捕狐狸吗?
Many people hunt after fame in their lives but never find it.很多人一生追逐名利,但是总不能成功。
- 追猎(某动物); 追逐(某物)try to gain (sth); chase and try to catch (sth) hunt after sth
- hunt down (v.+adv.)
搜索直至找到(某物)search for (sth) until it is found hunt sb/sth ⇔ down
The police have hunted down the escaped prisoner.警方已经追捕到了那个逃犯。
The hounds will soon hunt down the stag.猎狗很快就会追到那头牡鹿。
- 搜索直至找到(某物)search for (sth) until it is found hunt sb/sth ⇔ down
- hunt for (v.+prep.)
猎取…(通常指食物或毛皮)try to obtain (usually food or skins) by hunting, usually with a gun hunt for sth
He's on holiday in Africa, hunting for animals.他正在非洲度假打猎呢。
The natives live by hunting for their food.当地人以猎取野兽为食。
寻找某人〔某物〕search for sb/sth hunt for sb/sth
The whole neighborhood have been hunting for the missing child.整条街的人都在寻找那个失踪的孩子。
He has been hunting for a job.他一直在找工作。
- 猎取…(通常指食物或毛皮)try to obtain (usually food or skins) by hunting, usually with a gun hunt for sth
- hunt out (v.+adv.)
努力找出,努力获得,试图发现seek or obtain by diligent search; try to discover hunt sb/sth ⇔ out
If you come to Beijing again, remember to hunt me out.如果你再到北京来,别忘了来找我。
I hunted out one of my old notes.我找出了一本我的旧笔记本。
We must hunt out all the facts we can.我们必须尽可能查清全部事实。
- 努力找出,努力获得,试图发现seek or obtain by diligent search; try to discover hunt sb/sth ⇔ out
- hunt through (v.+prep.)
把…找遍search through (sth) hunt through sth
I had to hunt through all my drawers looking for the old photograph.我不得不翻遍所有的抽屉来寻找那张旧照片。
- 把…找遍search through (sth) hunt through sth
- hunt up (v.+adv.)
(在报纸上、书上等)找到(资料等)search for and usually find (sth such as information) often in books, papers, etc. hunt sth ⇔ up
You'll have to hunt up the word in the dictionary.你须在字典里查找这个字。
- (在报纸上、书上等)找到(资料等)search for and usually find (sth such as information) often in books, papers, etc. hunt sth ⇔ up
- a hunt for 追求…
The papers..were much taken up with the hunt for the missing Coronation Stone.出自：G. Gorer
A twice-a-year hunt to recruit more staff.出自：Medway Extra
He used to hunt with the Pytchley.出自：J. Buchan
An old dog-fox who had been hunted many times before.出自：T. F. Powys
The bustards..were hunted with falcons.出自：J. Raban
- hunt, explore, search, seek
这四个词都有“寻找”“搜索”的意思。其区别在于：第一, hunt和search都是指搜寻具体的人或某一具体事物,而seek则指对崇高目的或抽象事物的追求或向往; explore指对未知事物或新生事物的探索、观察与研究。第二, hunt含有急切的意味,也常指无结果地寻找,而另外三词没有此种意味。例如:A police patrol was organized to search for him.警察巡逻队被组织起来去寻找他。We must explore all the possibilities.我们必须探讨所有的可能性。We are earnestly seeking after the truth.我们在认真地寻找真理。I've hunted high and low for my socks.我到处在找我的短袜。
- hunt, track
这两个词的共同意思是“追捕”,其区别是：track强调跟踪或顺着线索追查; 而hunt既可指猎取动物,也可泛指搜寻人或其他事物。例如:The men had gone to the forest to hunt wild game.男人们已去森林中打野味了。They hunted everywhere for her.他们到处寻找她。She hunted the house over for her lost ring.她在屋子里翻箱倒柜,到处寻找那只丢失的戒指。
- pursue follow chase hunt trace track trail
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的hunatin，意为抓获，猎。