gossip (usually a mixture of truth and untruth) passed around by word of mouth
tell or spread rumors;
"It was rumored that the next president would be a woman"
- I'm rather bored by the rumor.
- Despite persistent denials, the rumor continued to spread.
- A rumor went forth that the price of eggs would be raised soon.
- The rumor was without foundation.
- The Prime Minister refused to comment on the rumor he had planned to resign.
- All sorts of rumors are going around.
- There is a rumor that there will be a General Election in the autumn.
- We dismissed the story as mere rumor.
- Let's investigate the root of this rumor.
- He is rumored to have escaped to Dublin.
- rumour 谣言