- v. 剩余；逗留；留下；依然；保持
- n. 剩余物；遗迹；残骸
- vi. 留下,逗留 stay or be left behind after others have gone, been lost, etc.
- vi. 剩下,余留 be still present after a part has gone or has been taken away
- vi. 仍然是,依旧是 continue to be (in an unchanged state)
- vi. 留待 continue in some place or condition
stay the same; remain in a certain state;
"The dress remained wet after repeated attempts to dry it"
"He remained unmoved by her tears"
"The bad weather continued for another week"
continue in a place, position, or situation;
"After graduation, she stayed on in Cambridge as a student adviser"
"Stay with me, please"
"despite student protests, he remained Dean for another year"
"She continued as deputy mayor for another year"
be left; of persons, questions, problems, results, evidence, etc.;
"There remains the question of who pulled the trigger"
"Carter remains the only President in recent history under whose Presidency the U.S. did not fight a war"
"The smell stayed in the room"
"The hostility remained long after they made up"
- We must learn to conserve what remains.
- I didn't remain long in the city.
- Though the sore being healed, yet a scar may remain.
- The present international situation remains tense and turbulent.
- Most of the unearthed relics remain intact.
- After maintenance the main remains and remainders are left on the domain.
- They have found prehistoric remains.
- The remains of the wooden hull are fragile and need special handling.
- They went, but I remained.
- We all wish you to remain for dinner.
- Do you wish to remain with me?
- She remained at home to look after the children when her husband went out.
- The leadership instructed us to remain where we were.
- Of her three sons only one now remains.The rest were killed in battle.
- Though the sore being healed, yet a scar may remain.
- If you take three from ten, seven remains.10
- Only the walls of the building remained after the fire.
- Little of the original architecture remains.
- It's late autumn now, few leaves remain on the tree.
- A few apples remained on the tree.
- This remained over from yesterday's dinner.
- The children ate until no food remained on the table.
- The doctor remained by the sick child's side all night.
- She improved, but she remained in the hospital for another week.
- You can't let the room remain like this.
- It remains below 13℃ for about five months of the year.
- We have been friendly to each other, we must always remain so.
- Victory remains with us.
- The decision remains with the Government.
- I remained three days in Shanghai.
- He'll remain to accompany you.
- It remained for Mr. Parkhill to break through the impasse.
- A number of problems remain to be solved.
- Many questions have to be settled and much remains to be done in our educational work.
- One last point remained to be cleared up.
- I'm sorry you're tired, but the fact remains that the job has to be done, so hurry up!
- The fact remains that we are still lagging behind the other classes in maths.
- There remained in the village only women and children.
- There remained just a little money.What was to be done?
- There remains a still more difficult task for us.
- There remained just a little water. Please go and fetch some.
- He was and (still) remains our respected teacher.
- They remained good friends.
- He will always remain a shining example for us all.
- Whether it is true remains a question.
- This remains one of our principles.
- The strange visit remained a complete mystery.
- Language was, is and will remain the chief means of exchange of ideas.
- They all wanted him to remain as director.
- I urged him to rest, but he remained motionless.
- His face remained expressionless.
- In spite of the danger they remained calm.
- We must always remain modest and prudent.
- He remained firm in the face of the enemy.
- How can we remain silent on this question?
- The temperature of the human body remains nearly constant.
- If you begin the day with a cold bath, it's easier to remain cool.
- He closed his eyes but his mouth remained open.
- The shops remain open until late every evening.
- Our door remains open at all times for our friends.
- The soldier owed his courage to his ability to remain cool in the face of danger.
- The true author of the book remains unknown.
- If you won't eat, you'll just have to remain hungry.
- He remained single all his life.
- His knowledge of French remained very weak, because he was not good at learning languages.
- But the gap between promise and reality remained wide.
- Commodity prices remain stable and there are plenty of goods on the market.
- The wind remained low but the cold was intense.
- He remained ignorant of the serious situation.
- If I can only remain ahead for a few more yards,I can win this race.
- Jane used to have difficulty with her school work, but she has improved a lot recently, and now finds it easier to remain ahead.
- You have to work hard to remain ahead of your competitors in business, or you can easily lose your leading position.
- They never remained satisfied with their successes.
- Although in hospital, his heart remained linked with the masses.
- But fundamentally the situation remained unchanged.
- But supposing they remain unconvinced?
- The boundary questions still remain unsettled.
- The book, however, remains unfinished.
- The window remained closed.
- I remained confused about the difference between these expressions.
- The package remains untouched by anyone.
- He remained hanging in midair, saved by the belt.
- She remained sitting when they came in.
- He remained unbending under the severest of tortures.
- She remained standing where she was for some time, after he left.
- Let things remain as they have been in the past.
- She remains as she was.
- The only remaining question is whether or not we can raise the money.
- remain away (v.+adv.)
缺席 be absent
Many of his former supporters disapproved of his latest opinions, and remained away (from the meeting) when he came to give a speech.
- remain behind1 (v.+adv.)
在某人〔某物〕后面保持一段距离 stay at a distance behind sb/sth
It's safest to remain a good distance behind, in case the car in front suddenly stops.
- remain behind2 (v.+prep.)
在某人〔某物〕后面保持一段距离 stay at a distance behind sb/sth
remain behind sb/sth
After remaining behind the leading runner for most of the race,Jim suddenly passed him and won.
- remain in1 (v.+adv.)
呆在屋里 stay indoor
If your cold's no better, you should remain in tomorrow, and not go out till the weather improves or you are feeling better.
- remain in2 (v.+prep.)
停留在… continue to be present in a place
remain in sth
One went to Manchester, while the other remained in London.
Only a few customers now remained in the bookshop.
They remained in the room for a long time. It was nearly sunset when they left.
He remained in love with her.
During this long time he had always remained in my thoughts.
Many moving stories of that time remain deep in people's hearts to this day.
The treaty shall remain in force for a period of ten years.
- remain of (v.+prep.)
…留下 be left from sth bigger or more complete
remain of sth
What will remain of the old city if the new road is built through the centre?
All that remains of the city is ruins.
Did anything remain of the wreckage?
Nothing remained of our house after the bombing raid.
- remain on1 (v.+adv.)
The lights remained on in his room.
- remain on2 (v.+prep.)
继续保持 keep sth or doing sth
- remain out (v.+adv.)
呆在户外 stay outdoor
The children remained out because of the good weather.
- remain together (v.+adv.)
保持在一起 continue to be in time or place
You singers must remain together or you will spoil the music.
When the mist comes down, we must remain together or we'll get lost.
- remain under1 (v.+adv.)
停留在水面以下 continue to be beneath sth (such as a surface of water)
If the swimmer remains under for more than a minute, pull him out, he may be drowning.
- remain under2 (v.+prep.)
保持在…下面; 由…照顾 continue to be beneath sth; take care of sb
remain under sth
The child remained under the table in a temper until his father came home.
There she remained under the care of Aunt Liu.
- remain up (v.+adv.)
继续处于一个适当位置 continue to be in the proper position
My trousers won't remain up,I've lost so much weight.
Price of meat have remained up even though the farmers are receiving less money from their cattle.
Her spirits remained up in spite of her disappointment.
- remain a bachelor 还是单身
- remain a complete mystery 一直是个谜
- remain a fisherman 仍是个渔民
- remain a little money 只剩一点点钱
- remain a little water 只剩一点水
- remain a question 还是一个问题
- remain a shining example 永远是闪光的榜样
- remain good friends 仍然是好朋友
- remain principles 保持原则
- remain the chief means 还是主要方式
- remain active 仍然活跃
- remain closed 仍然未开放
- remain confused 迷惑不解
- remain constant 保持不变
- remain expressionless 毫无表情
- remain hungry 只好饿着
- remain linked 还连在一起
- remain long 保持得很久
- remain modest 保持谦虚
- remain motionless 仍然不动
- remain prudent 保持谨慎
- remain silent 保持沉默
- remain unchanged 依然不变
- remain unconvinced 仍然不相信
- remain unfinished 仍然未完成
- remain unknown 依旧不详
- remain unsettled 仍然未解决
- remain deeply 深怀
- remain constantly 经常逗留
- remain courageously 英勇地呆在
- remain determinedly 决心留下
- remain generally remain 通常呆在
- remain hopefully 有希望留下
- remain impassively 冷淡地留下
- remain inflexibly 肯定呆在…
- remain motionlessly 不动地呆着
- remain peacefully 静静地呆着
- remain tensely 紧张地呆在
- remain wilfully 任性地留在
- remain in 呆在家里
- remain on 保持不变,维持下去
- remain out 呆在户外
- remain up 过了就寝时间还不睡
I know your master's pleasure, and he mine; All the remain is, welcome.出自：Cymbeline , Shakespeare
The remains of an Ionic temple.出自： R. H. Froude
Coal is the remains of an ancient vegetation.出自： J. N. Lockyer
No cake, only the remains of a..stale loaf.出自： B. Pym
What I learn And what remains to tell.出自： Tennyson
He had so..nearly lost his life that what remained was wonderfully precious.出自： D. H. Lawrence
Half of all that remained to me.出自： H. Read
When he left Olson ten minutes on the meter still remained to run.出自： R. Rendell
- remain主要用作不及物动词,常与 away , behind, in, of, on, out, up等介、副词连用,表示各种附加意义。
He remained faithful to his wife all his life.
For a long time he remained a bachelor.
- 将I remain用在书信来往中，在客套话之前时，应注意：不可用于第一次写信中，最好用Ｉam。remain后面的yours是表语，虽中间无须加逗号，但人们仍习惯用。I remain的用法如今已经不普遍使用了。在商业信函中，表示客套一般用I (We) beg to remain。
- remain, stay
- stay通常指在某地呆一段时间而不离开,或暂时留〔住〕在某地,尤指以宾客身份逗留; 而remain则指别人已经走了,而某人仍在原地。例如:
- He was staying at his father's.他在父亲家里暂住。
误 They never remained satisfiedly with their success.
正 They never remained satisfied with their success.
误 He continued to remains the principal of the school.
正 He remains the principal of the school.
误 History had remained us a lot of problems, some of which cannot be solved in a day or two.
正 History had left us a lot of problems, some of which cannot be solved in a day or two.
- ☆ 14世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的remain；最初源自拉丁语的remanere：re (回) + manere (放，置），意为保留。