- （体育运动等 ）告诫…不要靠近，叫...离开
- vt. 警告; 告诫 give notice of possible danger or unpleasant consequences; inform in advance of what may happen
notify of danger, potential harm, or risk;
"The director warned him that he might be fired"
"The doctor warned me about the dangers of smoking"
admonish or counsel in terms of someone's behavior;
"I warned him not to go too far"
"I warn you against false assumptions"
"She warned him to be quiet"
ask to go away;
"The old man warned the children off his property"
notify, usually in advance;
"I warned you that I would ask some difficult questions"
- He warned me against going there at night.
- They warn her that if she do it again she will be sent to prison.
- The police warn us not to go out at night.
- I warned them that there might be snakes in the woods.
- If you can't arrive there on time, you should warn them.
- Birds sometimes chatter to each other to warn of danger.
- The doctor had to warn her, she must be prepared for the worse.
- This was a sign for sharks. They warned us and we all went ashore.
- If you warn the police when you go away on holiday, they will watch your house.
- He has been warned many times.
- She warned that the winter would be very cold.
- The company warned that another 2000 to 3000 workers may come shortly.
- The weather forecast warned that a storm was coming.
- I must warn you seriously that you're in a very dangerous state of mind.
- I have warned him that it is not allowed.
- Did he warn you that he might be late?
- They warned him that it was dangerous work, but he did not mind.
- I must warn you beforehand that I shall tell them everything.
- He was warned that the small bridge was unsafe.
- The Swede was warned that the great man would probably ask him some questions.
- I warned him not to do that.
- We warned him not to go skating on such thin ice.
- They warned the two sides not to continue the war.
- They warned him to be careful.
- There were spies posted outside. She warned him to be very careful.
- He was warned not to go there.
- He had been warned not to tell anyone about it.
- We were warned to wear long pants and take sweaters for our climb.
- warn against (v.+prep.)
告诫,当心,提防 advise sb to avoid sb/sth or doing sth
warn sb against sb/sth/v-ing
He warned me against pickpockets.
The doctor warned the patient against smoking.
They warned him against swimming in that part of the river.
She warned me against being overconfident.
I was once warned against him.
I've been warned against that company, so I'll take a job somewhere else.
He was warned against trying to get through here.
Have they been warned against doing that?
- warn of (v.+prep.)
发出关于…的警告 give a warning about
warn of sth
They warned of an approaching snowstorm.
The motoring organization is warning of thick mist and blowing snow on high ground.
机动车组织发出高地将出现浓雾和风雪的警告。warn sb of sth
They were warned of the approach of the enemy.
They had been warned of the danger.
The town's people have been warned of a possible earthquake.
- warn off1 (v.+adv.)
不许…上前 tell sb to keep away, prohibit from advancing, trespassing, intruding, etc.When we tried to enter the house, some men warned us off.我们想进入房子时有几个人叫我们走开。
- warn off2 (v.+prep.)
不许靠近 tell to keep away prohibit from advancing, trespassing, intruding, etc.
warn sb off sth
The police have put up signs to warn people off this area.
He realized that his doctor was warning him off drink.
- warn amply 广泛地告诫
- warn earnestly 严肃地警告
- warn faithfully 忠诚地告诫
- warn graciously 有礼貌地告诫
- warn grimly 讨厌地警告
- warn solemnly 严肃地警告
- warn subtly 巧妙地告诫
- warn sufficiently 充分地告诫
- warn urgently 紧急地警告
The doctor..warned me he might not last the month.出自： A. Lambert
He has warned..of the dangers of securitizing debts.出自：Times
Carelesse heauens..can..not warne death from wretched wight.出自： Spenser
- warn, caution, forewarn
- The judge cautioned the prisoner.法官警告了那个囚犯。
- The veteran worker cautioned me not to inspect the machine without turning off the power.老工人告诫我要关掉电源后才能检查机器。
- We had been forewarned of the risk of the fire that would break out.已经事先警告过我们有发生火灾的危险。
- I must warn you of that man, he's de- ceitful.
- I must warn you about that man, he's deceitful.
误 I warned him leaving at once.
正 I warned him to leave at once.
析 表示“提醒某人做某事”时,可用warn sb to- v 的句型,不可以用warn sb v -ing句型。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的warnian，意为警告。
- warning n. 发出警告; 受到告诫; 警告,前兆‖warningly adv. 警告地; 引以为戒地