- n. 可能；可能性；可能的事情；潜在的价值
- [U]可能性 state of being possible; likelihood
- [C]可能的事 event that may happen; prospect
- [P]可以利用和改善的余地; 潜力 capability of being used or improved; potential
a future prospect or potential;
"this room has great possibilities"
capability of existing or happening or being true;
"there is a possibility that his sense of smell has been impaired"
a tentative insight into the natural world; a concept that is not yet verified but that if true would explain certain facts or phenomena;
"a scientific hypothesis that survives experimental testing becomes a scientific theory"
"he proposed a fresh theory of alkalis that later was accepted in chemical practices"
a possible alternative;
"bankruptcy is always a possibility"
- I see great possibilities in the scheme.
- We must accept the possibility that we might be wrong.
- She saw the possibilities of the scheme from the beginning.
- We can't exclude the possibility that it will rain.
- She thought of several possibilities.
- The idea has tremendous possibilities.
- Is there any possibility that you'll be back by the weekend?
- There is one possibility of changing jobs.
- Jane is a possibility as a wife for Richard.
- The plan has great possibilities.
- avoid〔prove, remove〕 the possibility of 避免〔证明,消除〕…的可能
- exclude〔raise〕 possibility 排除〔产生〕可能性
- prevent the possibility of 防止…的可能
- see a possibility of 认识到…的可能
- trade possibility 贸易的可能性
- beyond the -ties of one human life 一个人一生不可能做的
- by any possibility 倘有可能
- out of〔within〕 the bounds of possibility 在可能的范围外〔内〕
Science and Revelation come into..collision on the possibility of miracles.出自： F. Temple
We often discuss the possibility of his buying a new jacket.出自： J. Diski
- possibility后不能接动词不定式,可接“of sth/ v -ing”结构或that同位语从句。
- ☆ 14世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的possibilite；最初源自拉丁语的possibilitatem，意为可能性。
- chance 可能性
- prospect 希望
- likelihood 可能性
- risk 危险
- probability 可能性
- odds 机率
- potentiality 潜力
- practicability 可行性
- plausibility 似有道理
- feasibility 可行性
- hazard 危险
- eventuality 不测的事
- contingent 代表团
- expectation 预料
- good chance 大概
- good prospect [经] 有希望
- good 好的
- favourable 赞成的
- odds-on 胜算
- theory 学说
- opening 开口
- hypothesis 假说
- impossibility 不可能之事