- 较晚地,后来 at a later time;afterwards
coming at a subsequent time or stage;
"without ulterior argument"
"the mood posterior to"
at or toward an end or late period or stage of development;
"the late phase of feudalism"
"a later symptom of the disease"
"later medical science could have saved the child"
happening at a time subsequent to a reference time;
"he apologized subsequently"
"he's going to the store but he'll be back here later"
"it didn't happen until afterward"
"two hours after that"
at some eventual time in the future;
"By and by he'll understand"
"I'll see you later"
comparative of the adverb `late';
"he stayed later than you did"
- She had her baby weaned a year later.
- I'll speak with her later.
- I can't pay now, please bill me later.
- Later information showed that the sub did sink.
- Arrays will be covered in detail in later chapters.
- In her later years she gave herself over to writing full-time.
- We later learnt that this wasn't true at all.
- I'll call again later.
- He fell ill on Monday and died three days later.
- Tom and Mary got married in 1985.Two years later, they were divorced.
- for later
供以后用 for afterwards
- later on
- sooner or later
迟早 in the end
- later, afterwards
- 这两个词在表示“一段时间后”(at a later time)时可通用,但在与一段具体的时间连用时只用later,不用afterwards。例如:不能说He fell ill on Monday and died three days afterwards.而应说He fell ill on Monday and died three days later.他星期一患病,三天后就死了。
误 a just〔soon,shortly〕 later
正 a little〔much〕 later
析 later不可用just, soon, shortly, immediately等词修饰,但可用little或much等来修饰。我将在一周之后再给你打电话。
误 I'll call again a week later.
正 I'll call again in a week.一年之后,他作为一个英雄回来了。
误 He came back as a hero in a year.
正 He came back as a hero a year later.
析 later不可用于说明“从说话时算起若干时间之后”,应该用in a year, in a week等,只有在指“从过去或将来某一时刻算起若干时间以后”时才可用later。她一定是个55岁以上的女人。
误 She must be a woman in her later fifties.
正 She must be a woman in her late fifties.
析 表示“55岁以上接近60岁”用in one's late fifties,而不用later。