- 老的,年老的 having lived a long time; advanced in age; no longer young
- 古老的,古代的,陈旧的 belonging to past times; not recent or modern
- …年龄的 of a particular age
- [A]早已认识的,熟悉的 known for a long time; familiar
- [A]以前的,从前的 former; previous
- [A]有经验的,老练的 having much experience or practice
- past times (especially in the phrase `in days of old')
- (used especially of persons) having lived for a relatively long time or attained a specific age;
"his mother is very old"
"a ripe old age"
"how old are you?"
- of long duration; not new;
- (used for emphasis) very familiar;
"good old boy"
"same old story"
- skilled through long experience;
"an old offender"
"the older soldiers"
- belonging to some prior time;
"our former glory"
"the once capital of the state"
"her quondam lover"
- (used informally especially for emphasis);
"a real honest-to-god live cowboy"
"had us a high old time"
"went upriver to look at a sure-enough fish wheel"
- of a very early stage in development;
"Old English is also called Anglo Saxon"
"Old High German is High German from the middle of the 9th to the end of the 11th century"
- just preceding something else in time or order;
"the previous owner"
"my old house was larger"
- The old lady fondled her cat as it sat beside her.
- He invited me to his home to talk over old times.
- The cupboard was stuffed with old fishing tackle.
- Public opinion was against the old feudal system.
- How old are you?
The old man is willing to pledge for him.
She turned away in revolt from the dirty old man.
The old man's health has gone to rack and ruin.
There is an old man sitting beside me.
The old man made a settlement on his youngest daughter when she married.
The old man lived in a little house in the woods.
The old woman couldn't forget her dead mate.
He gets tax relief because he supports his old mother.
In order to save younger men's jobs, some of the older workers were retired early.
The old car ground to a halt in front of the shop.
The old machine is well maintained and looks as good as new.
The sale of his old house made him sad.
He refined upon the older methods.
He posed as an expert on old coins.
Things were different in the old days.
In the old society, the peasants were ground by poverty.
Some of old newspapers had to go out of business for low sales.
She is now at leisure to visit old friends.
We are old friends.
I prefer the chair in its old place.
She always gives the same old speech.
She had visited the old scholar who avoided publicity.
The old professor was surprisingly humble at the meeting.
You're a funny old thing!
Ourselves no longer young, we can sympathize with those who are old.
You hardly look old enough.
He's forty years old.
This pine is a hundred years old.
The dog is two years old.
The house is two hundred years old.
How old are you?
How much older is he than you?
The houses in this street are very old.
This carpet's getting rather old now.
We won't buy new tyres when the car itself is so old.
This bread is a bit old.
That child seems old beyond his years.
I reckon that he is rather too old to marry again.
You are old enough to dress yourself now.
The old and the young do not always understand each other.
- any old how
随便地,胡乱地 carelessly; untidily
The books were scattered round the room any old how. 屋里到处乱放着书。
- 随便地,胡乱地 carelessly; untidily
- (as) old as the hills
很老的,古老的 very old; ancient
This dress is as old as the hills. 这件连衣裙算是老古董了。
Many of the tribe's customs and rituals are as old as the hills. 这部落的许多风俗、仪式都极其古老。
- 很老的,古老的 very old; ancient
- of old
从前的,过去的,自古以来 in or since former times
We know him of old. 我们老早就认识他。
Knights of old had to wear armor in battle. 从前的武士上战场时都穿盔甲。
- 从前的,过去的,自古以来 in or since former times
- old enough to be sb's father〔mother〕
比某人年龄大得多 significantly older than sb
You can't marry him! He's old enough to be your father! 你可不能嫁给他!他比你大得多了!
Of course, she was always a dark horse. But as for her and George — it's ridiculous. Why she's old enough to be his mother. 当然,她一向是个实力难测的竞争者,但至于说到她和乔治——那真荒唐,她老得简直可以做他的母亲了。
- 比某人年龄大得多 significantly older than sb
- old enough to know better
已经长大该懂好歹了 old enough to act in a more sensible way than one did
Have you been drawing on the walls?I thought you were old enough to know better. 墙上是你画的吧?我还以为你都懂事了呢。
- 已经长大该懂好歹了 old enough to act in a more sensible way than one did
All my children have gone before me, I am so old.出自：Tennyson
Delroy..bought his car last year before he was old enough to drive.出自：Sunday Express
I've been seeing a much older man who..only wants to be friends.出自：Bella
- old的基本意思是“老的,年老的”,指人或动物的生命接近结束; 也可指某物存在或使用了相当长的一段时间,即“古老的,古代的,陈旧的”。old还可指某人或某物处于“…年龄的”。引申可指“早已认识的,熟悉的”“以前的,从前的”“有经验的,老练的”等。old有时还可以用于表示一种亲密的关系。
- ...years old作“…岁”解时old须置于years之后,除用于人外,也可用于物。
- the old可泛指“老年人”,这时谓语动词应该用复数形式,但在一定上下文中也可以指某个人,这时谓语动词须用单数形式。
- 在非正式口语里,可以用You're how old?来表示“你多大岁数了?”
- old man(woman)可表示不同年龄段的人。例如:an old man(woman)常指65——75岁左右的老人; a very old man〔woman〕指75——85岁左右的老人; an extremely old man〔woman〕指90岁以上的老人等。
- 现代美语中,常可见以older和oldest代替elder和eldest者。例如:The older son is in college, the younger in kindergarten.大儿子在上大学,小儿子在幼儿园。
- old girl, old lady, old wife, old woman
这四者都指“女人”,但意思和用法并不相同:1.old girl一般用于子女对母亲或丈夫对妻子的昵称,也可用于对任何年龄女子的爱称(如老大姐),有时则用于贬义,是一种讽刺或不尊敬的称呼。在英国学校中可指“女校友”“女毕业生”。old girl还可用作母马的爱称,常译为“老伙计”。2.old lady和old wife同义,相当于汉语中的“老伴”“老婆”,用于比喻可指“婆婆妈妈的人”。3.old woman是口语用语,在子女与母亲间或夫妻间使用时意思同old girl。用于比喻可指“畏畏缩缩,行为像女人或办事缺乏主动性的男人”。
- old, aged, elderly
这三个词均可指“年老的,年迈的”。其区别是：old指年事已高,接近生命的终点; elderly指已过中年,意为“较老的,接近老年的”,常有尊敬和威严的意味。例如:She was an elderly woman, perhaps sixty years old.她已是上了年纪的女人,可能有60岁了。aged指“年迈的”,含有体弱多病、老态龙钟的意味。例如:An aged woman sat mumbling by the fire.一位年迈的妇女坐在炉火旁,口中念念有词。
- old, ancient
这两个词都有“古代的”“古老的”意思。ancient指发生或存在于很久以前,现在则未必存在; old则指其存在至今的,时间已相当长。ancient所指的时间一般比old长。ancient的反义词是recent; old的反义词是young或new。
- He is five years older than I.
- He is older than I by five years.
- He is five years senior to me.
- Old Tom died a week ago.
- The old Tom died a week ago.
- one's old man
- the old man
误 The three years old boy can dress himself.
正 The three-year-old boy can dress himself.
正 The boy three years old can dress himself.
误 The student who won the prize was a girl of nineteen years old.
正 The student who won the prize was a girl of nineteen.
析 用“of+数字”表达年龄时,数字后不接years old。
误 The oldest daughter does all the housework.
正 The eldest daughter does all the housework.
误 An older statesman, he is held in great respect.
正 An elder statesman, he is held in great respect.
误 I'm elder than my younger brother by three years.
正 I'm older than my younger brother by three years.
误 He is too aged to do so much work.
正 He is too old to do so much work.
析 aged作“年老的”解时常用作定语,如an aged man,不能用作表语。
误 Taijiquan is an activity for the old and young.
正 Taijiquan is an activity for the young and old.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的ald，意为长年的。
- old:old adj. 年老的, 老的, ...岁的, 陈旧的, 古老的 英英解释:名词old:1. past times (especially in the phrase `in days of old…