- n. 膝部；（衣服的）下摆；控制范围
- n. 重叠部分；(跑道的)一圈
- n. 舐；（波浪）拍打声
- v. 包围；（使）重叠；领先一圈
- v. 舔食；轻拍
- 用…包扎，（被）包住， 包裹
- vt. & vi. 领先 be one or more laps ahead of (another competitor) in a race
- vt. 舔;舔食 drink by taking up with the tongue, as a cat does
- vt. & vi. 包裹;缠绕(布等)于 wrap or fold (cloth, etc.)
- vt. 轻拍;冲拍 (of water) to move with a sound like the lapping up of liquid
- [C](坐着时)膝上腰下的大腿部分 the front part of a seated person between the waist and the knees
- [C]裙兜 part of a dress
- [C]一圈 a single journey round or along the track
the upper side of the thighs of a seated person;
"he picked up the little girl and plopped her down in his lap"
an area of control or responsibility;
"the job fell right in my lap"
the part of a piece of clothing that covers the thighs;
"his lap was covered with food stains"
a flap that lies over another part;
"the lap of the shingles should be at least ten inches"
movement once around a course;
"he drove an extra lap just for insurance"
touching with the tongue;
"the dog's laps were warm and wet"
lie partly over or alongside of something or of one another
pass the tongue over;
"the dog licked her hand"
move with or cause to move with a whistling or hissing sound;
"The bubbles swoshed around in the glass"
"The curtain swooshed open"
take up with the tongue;
"The cat lapped up the milk"
"the cub licked the milk from its mother's breast"
wash or flow against;
"the waves laved the shore"
- The child sat on its mother's lap.
- For quite some time, everything fell into his lap.
- The leading car crashed midway through the tenth lap.
- The cat lapped up the milk.
- He heard the lap of the waves.
- The two pictures are made to lap over each other.
- Hyperparasitic effect was observed at culture over lap of Cylindrocladium spathiphylli and some phytopathogen through microscope.
- The waves gently lap against the shore.
- James lapped in two minutes.
- Before the end of the race Bob had lapped Jimmy.
- The champion lapped him at the mile.
- She lapped my finger with gauze.
- The cat is lapping water.
- Water lapped the sides of the boat.
- The man was sitting in a chair with his hat on his lap.
- She was sitting with her hands on her lap.
- She put the apples in her lap.
- He put in a spurt at the beginning of the eighth lap.
- lap about〔around,round〕 (v.+prep.)
包住 be folded or wrapped round sth
lap about〔around,round〕 sth
Crowds lapped about the corner.
The ends of the cloth lap round the hole.
布的四角包住那个洞。lap sth about〔around,round〕 sth
The nurse lapped a bandage around his wrist.
- lap against〔on〕 (v.+prep.)
轻拍 pat slightly
lap against〔on〕 sth
Little waves lapped against the boat.
The waves were lapping against the side of the boat.
The sea was lapping on the rocks.
The little waves were lapping on the beach.
- lap in (v.+prep.)
裹;包围 surround sb/sth
lap sb/sth in sth
He lapped me in his arms.
He lapped himself in a blanket.
The mother lapped the child in a blanket.
The nurse lapped his wrist in a bandage.
Life flowed smoothly on lapping him in a changeless vacuum.
- lap over1 (v.+adv.)
(在空间或时间上)超过某物,超出限制 lie further than sth,(in space or time); go beyond a limit
This dog's ears are so long that they lap over .
The upper wings lap over.
上翼收回来。lap sth ⇔ over
The edges of the paper have been lapped over.
The ends are lapped over to prevent them rubbing.
This mat is too big for the room, it laps over at the edges.
Don't forget that we have to see the director at midday, we must make sure that this meeting doesn't lap over.
- lap over2 (v.+prep.)
重叠在…上 overlap, sit one partly on another
lap over sth
The two pictures are made to lap over each other.
两幅照片是搭接在一起。lap sth over sth
The boat is built by lapping the edge of one board over the board underneath.
- lap over into (v.+adv.+prep.)
延伸到 lie further than sth
lap over into sth
Our meeting lapped over into the next.
The reign of Queen Elizabeth lapped over into the seventeenth century.
- lap under (v.+adv.)
往下折叠 fold under
Any ends that were not smooth must lap under.
- lap up (v.+adv.)
急于接受或相信 be eager to accept
- drop〔dump〕 sth in sb's lap
将某事推给他人负责make sth the responsibility of sb else
- in the lap of luxury
在优裕的环境中in very great comfort
- in the lap of the gods
结果尚难预料,毫无把握dependent on chance or fate;uncertain
- lap affectionately 充满深情地拍打
- lap greedily 贪婪地舔食
- lap hungrily 饥饿地吞食
- lap ingratiatingly 迎合地重叠
- lap thirstily 很渴地喝下
- lap down 喝光
- lap over 垂覆下来
- lap under 折叠在下面
- lap up 舔光
- lap against 轻拍…
- lap against the sides of the boat 轻轻地拍击船的两侧
- lap around 包扎
- lap at 拍打在
- lap in 包住,包围
- lap on 拍打
- lap over 重叠起来
- the last lap of sb's term 某人任期的最后阶段
Wiped his eyes..with the lap of his plaid.出自： James Hogg
One lap of MacDowall's shirt curved out from beneath his sweater..like half an apron.出自： B. Hines
Those logs were joined together by a lap of about two feet at each end.出自： Z. M. Pike
A puppy laps water from a can.出自： R. Jarrell
He would lap a Piece of it about a Sore Toe.出自： Swift
The anaconda was lapped about herself in one corner of her box.出自： A. S. Byatt
- lap用作名词时,意思是“(跑道的)一圈”,用作不及物动词时,意思是“跑一圈”,用作及物动词时,意思是“领先(某人)一圈”。引申可表示“用…包住,包扎”,后面常接人体受伤的部位如手、手腕、手指、脚之类的名词,其常见结构为“lap sth round one's ...”或“lap one's...with〔in〕 sth ”。
- lap用作不及物动词时,可表示“重叠,包围,(波浪)拍打”,常与介词over或 against 连用。
- lap还可表示“(尤指动物)舔,舔食,(指人)贪婪地吃(喝)”,常与副词up连用;在口语中, lap sth up还常表示“(对新闻、消息、问题等的)急切而又迅速地了解、领会或接受”。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的lapian，意为舔食，喝掉。