- v. 增加；提高
- n. 增加；增强；提高
- vt. & vi. 增加,增大,增多 make or become larger in amount or number
- [C][U]增加,增大,增多 a rise in amount, numbers, or degree
a quantity that is added;
"there was an addition to property taxes this year"
"they recorded the cattle's gain in weight over a period of weeks"
a change resulting in an increase;
"the increase is scheduled for next month"
a process of becoming larger or longer or more numerous or more important;
"the increase in unemployment"
"the growth of population"
the amount by which something increases;
"they proposed an increase of 15 percent in the fare"
the act of increasing something;
"he gave me an increase in salary"
become bigger or greater in amount;
"The amount of work increased"
make bigger or more;
"The boss finally increased her salary"
"The university increased the number of students it admitted"
- We anticipate that demand is likely to increase.
- Wide reading will increase your vocabulary.
- They have increased the price of petrol again.
- We must increase our output to meet demand.
- There was a steady increase in population.
- The government is alarmed by the dramatic increase in violent crime.
- She is taking drugs to increase her fertility.
- Influence will increase along with economic heft.
- The rent increase will hit the pockets of the poor.
- Her family increased.
- The population of this city has greatly increased.
- The population of the earth is increasing very fast.
- In some cases output has increased more than three-fold.
- In 1973, the output value of heavy industry increased by four times than 1965.1973
- The output of steel of our country has greatly increased.
- My salary has increased one hundred yuan .
- His cough shook him little and his appetite increased.
- The number of tourists has increased greatly in recent years.
- The number of bicycles is increasing.
- Traffic accidents are increasing year by year.
- The volume of trade between the two countries has been increasing each year.
- Their difficulties are increasing.
- The factors for war were visibly increasing.
- The rain increased.
- The darkness increases the further we advance into the forest.
- Under the rule of Britain the prosperity of the island increased considerably.
- Since joining the Common Market,Britain's trade with Europe has greatly increased.
- We should increase production and practise strict economy
- Finding himself in a tight corner the boss had to agree to increase the workers' wages.
- You won't increase your earnings by loitering over your work.
- He increased the size of his farm year by year.
- Their government has recently increased taxation.
- Efforts should also be made to increase their variety.
- The government has increased the price of food.
- The driver increased speed suddenly.
- You'll be skating on thin ice if you ask Dad to increase your allowance again.
- We had better increase the amount.
- The purpose of criticism is to increase the Party's fighting capacity.
- His words only increased the anger of the workers.
- It has increased the contradictions between the two superpowers.
- Travel increased one's knowledge of the world.
- A serious incident along the border increased our fear of war.
- We have increased his salary from five hundred yuan to eight hundred.
- The physician increased the dosage from one to four.
- She increased her reading speed from 100 to 250 words per minute.
- New machines were introduced into the factory. As a result, not only were time and energy saved but production was greatly increased.
- The safety of cars has been increased by the addition of seats belts.
- We are badly in need of increased time for study.
- This reflects their increasing difficulties.
- These measures were necessary, owing to increasing population.
- Index-linked pay raise insulated them against inflationary price increase.
- They went on strike on Monday in demand of a 40％ wage increase.
- Increase in population made emigration necessary.
- The tobacco merchants rose up in arms over the increase in taxes.
- In this census, an increase in the number of illiterates was observed.
- We need increases in money.
- The report called for massive increase in defence spending.
- He diagnosed the increase of crime was due to too few patrolmen.
- increase at( v.+prep. )
以…增长 make greater in number
increase at sth
World energy demand is increasing at a rate of about 3％ per year.
- increase by( v.+prep. )
增长 become greater in number or degree
increase by sth
Traffic accidents have increased by three per cent in the past year.
The population of this town has increased by zero point three percent in the last three years.
In 1978, the farm's hilly orchards increased by 300 mu .1978
The output of 13 major products has increased by a wide margin.13
Their salaries increase annually by one hundred dollars.
The population has increased by 200,000 to 500,000.
人口增加了20万,共为50万。increase sth by sth
The workers, in cooperation with the management, have increased output by 10 percent.
In this way the average autumn catch has been increased by two or three times.
As from Sunday,May 1st, all fares on the corporation's transport services will be increased by ten pence in the pound.
- increase from( v.+prep. )
(使)…由(少)增多; (使)…由(小)变大 (cause to) become larger from (sth smaller)
increase from sth
My pay has not increased from the rate fixed two years ago.
两年前给我定的工资额至今还没有增加呢。increase sth from sth
When is my pay going to be increased from its present rate?
- increase in( v.+prep. )
在…方面增长 become larger in amount, number, or degree
increase in sth
He increased in wisdom with the increase of age.
Activists are increasing in number day by day.
The library has increased in the total number of books, but not in space to hold them.
The country has increased in population.
The attack increased in vehemence.
The kingdom increased in wealth and prosperity.
China is rapidly increasing in industrial productivity.
In recent years China has increased in economic prosperity.
Our country has greatly increased in power and prestige.
- increase to( v.+prep. )
增长到… make larger to one degree
increase to sth
Both drinking and smoking among young people are increasing to an alarming extent.
在青年人中饮酒吸烟的现象已发展到惊人的程度。increase sth to sth
The director hopes to be able to increase your pay to $6000 a month.
My salary has been increased to one thousand yuan .
- increase with( v.+prep. )
随…增长 make larger following sth
increase with sth
His vanity increased with years.
The success of the book has been increasing with years.
- on the increase
- increase contacts 加强交往
- increase contradiction 增加矛盾
- increase efficiency of labour 提高劳动效率
- increase exports 增加出口商品
- increase imports 增加进口商品
- increase military expenditures 增加军费
- increase one's ability 增长才干
- increase one's alarm 使…更加惊慌
- increase one's conviction 进一步证实
- increase one's doubt 使…增加疑心
- increase one's effort 更加努力
- increase one's financial burden 增加财务负担
- increase one's happiness 增加某人的幸福
- increase one's knowledge 增加知识
- increase one's membership 扩大人员数量
- increase one's possessions 增加财产
- increase one's power 扩大权力
- increase one's prestige 扩大声望
- increase one's sense 增加…的感觉
- increase one's speed 加快速度
- increase price 提高价格
- increase production 增加产量
- increase productivity of labour 提高劳动生产率
- increase risk 增加危险性
- increase sb's uneasiness 使某人更加不安
- increase speed 加速
- increase standard of 提高…水平
- increase supply 增加供应
- increase tension 加剧紧张局势
- increase the anger 使更加愤怒
- increase the demand 增加要求
- increase the size 扩大规模
- increase daily 日渐增长
- increase fast 迅速增长
- increase abnormally 不正常地增长
- increase alarmingly 惊人地增长
- increase arbitrarily 随意地增加
- increase boundlessly 无界限地扩大
- increase commensurately 成比例地增长
- increase concomitantly 附带地增长
- increase constantly 不断地增加
- increase enormously 极大地增加
- increase gradually 逐渐增加
- increase greatly 大大增加
- increase grotesquely 可笑地增长
- increase infinitely 无限扩大,无限增加
- increase immediately 立即增长
- increase incessantly 持续不断地增长
- increase manifestly 明显增加
- increase notably 值得注意地增长
- increase noticeably 明显地增长
- increase partially 部分增长
- increase perceptibly 显而易见地增加
- increase proportionally 成比例地增加
- increase quickly 迅速增长
- increase rapidly 快速增加
- increase rationally 合理地增长
- increase reasonably 合理地增长
- increase relentlessly 无情地扩大
- increase remarkably 显著增加
- increase slightly 略有增加
- increase sporadically 零星地增加,偶然增长
- increase steadily 稳步增长
- increase stupendously 惊人地增长
- increase suddenly 突然增加
- increase temporarily 暂时增长
- increase by 按…增长
- increase from 从…增加
- increase in 在…方面增加
- increase in number 数量上有所增加
- increase in power 权力增大
- increase in value 增值
- increase to 增加到
- increase with 随…增长
- bring about an increase 使增加
- call for an increase 要求增加
- cause an increase 引起增长
- demand an increase 要求增加
- get an increase 得到增加
- give an increase 增加
- have an increase 得到增加
- promote the increase 促进
- receive an increase 得到增加
- show an increase 显示增长
- stimulate an increase 刺激增长
- urge an increase 迫切要求增加
- abnormal increase 非正常的增长
- anticipated increase 预期的增加
- apparent increase 明显的增长
- considerable increase 显著增长
- continuous increase 持续不断的增长
- corresponding increase 相应的增加
- definite increase 明显增长
- enormous increase 巨大的增长
- fivefold increase 增加五倍
- goodly increase 颇大的增长
- gradual increase 渐增,逐步增加
- happy increase 令人满意的增长
- immoderate increase 过分的增长
- inevitable increase 必然的增长
- large increase 大幅度增加
- moderate increase 适度增长
- natural increase 自然增长
- prodigious increase 不可思议的增长
- productive increase 生产扩大
- progressive increase 逐渐增长
- qualitative increase 质量上的提高
- quantitative increase 数量上的增加
- relative increase 相对增长
- sharp increase 剧增
- sizable increase 相当大的增加
- slight increase 略有增长
- sporadic increase 偶尔增长
- startling increase 惊人的增加
- steady increase 稳定的增长
- subsequent increase 随后的增加
- substantial increase 大量增加
- sudden increase 剧增,突然增加
- ultimate increase 最终增加
- unexampled increase 史无前例的增长
- unprecedented increase 前所未有的增长
- yearly increase 逐年增长
- budget increases 预算的增加
- pay increases 工资的增加
- price increases 物价的上涨
- salary increases 工资的增加
- wage increases 工资的增加
- on the increase 在增加
Dry up in her the organs of increase.出自：King Lear , Shakespeare
I could sense the boy's interest dwindle as the pull of his mother increased.出自： S. Plath
Wage rates have increased by 10 per cent.出自：Economist
Whether increasing the price of alcohol results in a decrease of alcoholism is not known.出自： D. W. Goodwin
- increase后接介词by时表示增加的具体数量; 后接介词in时表示在某方面的增加; 后接介词to时表示“增加到…”; 后接介词with时表示“随…增长”。
- increase用作名词的读音为 ［'inkriːs］ ,意思是“增加,增大,增多”,可指抽象的“增加”,也可具体地指钱的增加额、冷热的增加程度或人口、工作等的增加量或事态达到某种程度等。
- increase by, increase to
- 这两个短语的含义和用法并不相同。increase by指纯增数,而increase to则指增加后达到的数,即总数。increase by后一般接表示倍数和百分比的词,间或也接数词,而increase to后接数词,间或也接其他名词。
- increase, amplify, augment, enlarge, magnify
- enlarge指面积与范围的扩大,不能用以指重量、速度、时间的增大; increase可指距离、面积、力量、程度的增大,还可指数量、信心等增大和事物强度的加大,特别常用于统计方面; augment属于庄重用语,很少用来说明房屋、土地等物质的东西,通常用来表示势力、权势、财产、幸福、刑罚等增加或扩大; amplify是正式用语,在科技方面常指声音的扩大或电磁波的增强,也可指资料内容的增加; magnify指不从实际上,仅从外观上扩大某物,在俚语中, magnify有夸大事实、虚夸之义。例如:
- His strength will increase when his health improves.他的健康好转后,体力也会增加的。
- When sound is amplified, it can be heard a greater distance.声音一放大,可能传得更远。
- He augments his wages by working in his free time.他在空闲时间加班以增加工资。
- I want to enlarge the lawn.我要扩大草坪的面积。
- He often magnifies himself against others.他常用抬高自己贬低对方的方法反对别人。
- increase, add
- 两者均可表示“增加”。其区别在于:前者主要指自身数量、重量、价值、程度、力量等增加,多用于不可触知的事物; 而后者是指将某物加在另一物上,使之在数量、体积、重要性等方面有所增加。例如:
- We had better increase the amount.我们最好把数量再增加一些。
- I increased the amount of water to be added during cooking.烧饭时我增加了该加的水量。
- increase in, increase of
- 这两个短语意思不同。increase in指本身的增加,并未指出增加多少,而increase of则指增大的值。
- increase a tax of ten per cent
- a tax increase by ten per cent
- a ten per cent increase in tax
- an increase in tax of ten per cent
- a ten per cent tax increase
误 These machines increased three-fold.
正 These machines increased productivity three-fold.今年的产量已经增加了20％。
误 The production of this year has increased 20 percent.
正 The production of this year has increased by 20 percent.
误 There was a steady increase of population.
正 There was a steady increase in population.
析 increase表示“在…方面有增加”要用in。decrease(减少), drop(下降), rise(增长), fall(下跌)等词,有相同用法,这些单词之后都要用in。
- ☆ 14世纪初期进入英语，直接源自盎格鲁法语的encress；最初源自拉丁语的increscere：in (里） + crescere (生长），意为朝里生长。