- [U] 力,力气,力量,实力 the quality of being strong or powerful
- [C] 强度,浓度 intensity; concentration
- [C] 强点,长处 sth providing force or power
- [U] 人力,人数,兵力 force, especially measured in numbers
- the property of being physically or mentally strong;
"fatigue sapped his strength"
- capability in terms of personnel and materiel that affect the capacity to fight a war;
"we faced an army of great strength"
"politicians have neglected our military posture"
- physical energy or intensity;
"he hit with all the force he could muster"
"it was destroyed by the strength of the gale"
"a government has not the vitality and forcefulness of a living man"
- an asset of special worth or utility;
"cooking is his forte"
- the power to induce the taking of a course of action or the embracing of a point of view by means of argument or entreaty;
"the strength of his argument settled the matter"
- the amount of energy transmitted (as by acoustic or electromagnetic radiation);
"he adjusted the intensity of the sound"
"they measured the station's signal strength"
- capacity to produce strong physiological or chemical effects;
"the toxin's potency"
"the strength of the drinks"
- the condition of financial success;
"the strength of the company's stock in recent weeks"
- permanence by virtue of the power to resist stress or force;
"they advertised the durability of their products"
- I have hardly enough strength left to move my feet.
- In this game, you need more science than strength.
- By doing so, you can test the strength of steel.
- Tolerance is one of her many strengths.
His strength ran out.
For a small man he has surprising strength.
It's going to be some time before I recover my full strength.
He is a man of great strength.
It's a show of strength.
She has spent her strength without doing anything useful.
He is saving his strength for the heavy work he'll have to do this afternoon.
He succeeded by strength of will alone.
Their company's economic strength is phenomenal.
Our financial independence enables us to argue from a position of strength.
The houselights came up slowly to half strength.
They were doubtful about the strength of the new bridge.
The strength of feeling on this issue is considerable.
The strength of the solution is 1/100.
Is your tea the right strength?
Mike can get this drug in various strengths.
His strength as a general lay in his ability to gain the respect of his men.
The great strength of her plan is that it's so cheap compared to the others.
These were the strengths and weaknesses of his argument.
What strengths and weaknesses did you find in her?
What is the total strength of the enemy army?
What is the strength of the work force?
- at full strength
未稀释的,定额 undiluted, or having the required number〔complement〕
The best way to get stains off collars is to use liquid detergent at full strength. 去除领子上的污点最好的办法是使用未稀释的液体洗洁净。
The Home Secretary said that the Metropolitan Police had not been at full strength for ten years. 内务大臣说,大城市的警察10年来从没有满额。
- 未稀释的,定额 undiluted, or having the required number〔complement〕
- go from strength to strength
不断壮大 continue to improve
The company has gone from strength to strength since it was established five years ago. 这家公司自5年前创办以来一直不断壮大。
- 不断壮大 continue to improve
- in strength
大量地 in large numbers
Imes's supporters came in strength to see the fight. 艾姆斯的支持者大批涌来观看这场决斗。
Send for reinforcements—the enemy are attacking in strength. 请派援军来——敌人加强进攻了。
- 大量地 in large numbers
- on the strength
〈非正〉在编制内,是正式成员 being a member of an organization, company, armed force, etc.
Are you on the strength here? 你是这里的编制内人员吗?
The paperwork in the Sales Department has moved much more quickly since they took a qualified accountant on the strength. 自从他们招收了一名合格的会计以来,销售部的日常文书工作进展得快多了。
- 〈非正〉在编制内,是正式成员 being a member of an organization, company, armed force, etc.
- on the strength of
基于,依据 on the base of sth; relying on (a fact, sb's advice, etc.)
On the strength of my forthcoming salary increase I have decided to buy a better car. 由于我的工资即将增加,我已决定买一辆好一些的汽车。
I bought the car on the strength of her advice. 我听了她的劝告才买下这辆汽车。
- 基于,依据 on the base of sth; relying on (a fact, sb's advice, etc.)
- add strength to 给…增加力量
- build up the strength 增加力量
- concentrate all strength on 把全部力量集中在…上
- develop one's strength 增强体力
- draw strength 吸取力量
- find strength 发现实力
- gain strength 获得力量
- gather all one's strength 使出全部力量
- give strength to 给…力量
- have strength 有力量,有力气
- increase the strength 增加力量
- keep up one's strength 保持力量
- lose strength 丧失气力
- maintain strength 保存实力
- save strength 省力
- use one's strength 竭尽所能
- weaken strength 削弱力量
- measure the strength of 测量…的强度
- test the strength of 试验…的强度
- effective strength 实际人数,有生力量
- financial strength 财力
- frightening strength 令人害怕的力量
- full strength 最大的力气
- great strength 巨大的力量
- growing strength 日益发展着的力量,崛起的力量
- increasing strength 日益增长的力量
- national strength 国力
- overall strength 综合力量
- physical strength 体力
- psychological strength(s) 心理作用
- alcoholic strength 酒精浓度
- compressive strength 抗压强度
- at strength 在规定人数上
- at full strength 足额
- below strength 不足规定人数的
- beyond human strength 非人力所及
- from strength to strength 不断壮大,越来越强大
- in strength 在实力上
- equal sb in strength 力量和某人相匹敌
- in full strength 全体
- man of great strength 力气大的人
- show of strength 力量的显示
- on the strength of 凭着,依靠…
- up to strength 达到规定人数的
- with all one's strength 用全力
- with main strength 尽全力
He wished he had the strength of a giant.出自：M. Das
We have alcohol of different strengths.
- at full strength的意思是“未稀释的,定额”; go from strength to strength的意思是“不断壮大”; in strength的意思是“大量地”; on the strength的意思是“在编”; on the strength of的意思是“基于,依据,凭着”。
- strength, energy, force, might, power, vigour
这组词的共同意思是“能”“能量”“精力”。其区别在于:1.energy在物理学定义中为“能”“能量”,用于生理学上指“精力”。2.power系一般用语,可指动力、思维能力等各种力量或能力。例如:A car needs a lot of power to go fast.汽车高速行驶需要很大动力。Every normal, healthy person has power to think.每一个正常、健康的人都有思维能力。3.strength指某人或某物所具有的内在力量,可指体力、力气或抽象的力量。例如:He hasn't got enough strength to get out of bed.他没有足够的力气下床。At last his strength gave out.他的体力终于不支了。He has strength of character.他性格坚强。Union is strength.团结就是力量。4.force指的是物质或精神力量,多指为做成某事而使用的力量,也常指武力。例如:We had to use force to get into the house.我们不得不强行进屋。Some of them forced their way into our office.他们中有些人强行进入我们的办公室。His arguments forced them to admit he was right.他的论据迫使他们承认他是对的。The thief forced her to hand over the money.贼强迫她把钱交出来。5.might指“力量”“威力”“强权”“权势”等,既可指人体的力量,也可指政治、军事等的强大而产生的威力,其程度要比其他几个词强。例如:The army fought bravely, but it was crushed by the might of its powerful enemy.军队勇敢地战斗,但最终还是被敌人强大的势力所摧垮。They would have little chance to survive against our might.在我们的强大力量面前,他们几乎无法继续生存下去。The work was so difficult that it was beyond my might.这项工作太难了,它超出了我的能力。The competition is strong and we must study with all our might.竞争是强有力的,我们须尽全力地学习。6.vigour指生命产生的力量,常译为“活力”。例如:He is full of vigour.他充满了活力。
- power force strength
误 His mother had no strength on him.
正 His mother had no influence on him.
析 说“对某人有影响〔作用〕”要用had influence on sb,而不能用strength。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的setrngthu；最初源自原始日耳曼语的strangitho，意为权力，力量。
- strength:strength n. 力, 力量, 力气, 实力, 兵力, 浓度习惯用语at full strength 满额, 满员be [be taken] on the strength 【军】编入编制内be…