- [C][U]饥荒 (a case of) extreme lack of food for a very large number of people
an acute insufficiency
a severe shortage of food (as through crop failure) resulting in violent hunger and starvation and death
- War, famine and flood are terrible evils.
- Famine is often the sequel to war or drought.
- It's impossible to remain unmoved by her reports of the famine.
- We are collecting money for the famine victim.
- Thousands of people died of famine.
- People in the eastern cities thought they faced a serious coal famine .
- Many people die of starvation during famines every year.
- The long drought was followed by months of famine.
This was one of the periods of tobacco famine and there was not a cigarette in the place.出自： G. Orwell
- shortage 不足
- want 要
- starvation 饿死
- scarcity 缺乏
- lack 缺乏
- absence 缺席
- need 需要
- deficiency 缺乏
- dearth 缺乏
- food shortage 粮食短缺
- deprivation 剥夺