- n. 家庭；亲属；家族；子女；[生]科；语族；[化]族
- adj. 家庭的；家族的；适合于全家的
- [C]家,家庭 group consisting of parents and their children
- [S]子女 people's children
- [C]家族,氏族 all the people descended from a common ancestor
- [C]语族,语系 group of things related by common characteristics especially a group of languages
- [C](动植物的)科 a group of plants or animals
a social unit living together;
"he moved his family to Virginia"
"It was a good Christian household"
"I waited until the whole house was asleep"
"the teacher asked how many people made up his home"
primary social group; parents and children;
"he wanted to have a good job before starting a family"
a collection of things sharing a common attribute;
"there are two classes of detergents"
people descended from a common ancestor;
"his family has lived in Massachusetts since the Mayflower"
a person having kinship with another or others;
(biology) a taxonomic group containing one or more genera;
"sharks belong to the fish family"
a loose affiliation of gangsters in charge of organized criminal activities
an association of people who share common beliefs or activities;
"the message was addressed not just to employees but to every member of the company family"
"the church welcomed new members into its fellowship"
- There are five people in my family.
- He was born in a wealthy family.
- He had to work hard to support his family.
- All our family came to Grandad's eightieth birthday party.
- Some families have farmed in this area for hundreds of years.
- She has a large family on her hands.
- Give my regards to Mr and Mrs Jones and family.
- The tiger is a representative of the cat family.
- These languages belong to the Latin family.
- English is a branch of the Germanic family of languages.
- Quarrels are a normal part of family life.
- She works in the family business.
- They rented a three-bedroom family home with a pool.
- She comes of a musical family.
- She comes from a famous family.
- He is a boy of a good family.
- We shouldn't judge a person by his family.
- He comes of a noble family.
- He came of a poor peasant family in the old society.
- The child was adopted into a wealthy family and received a good education.
- Each apartment could house a family of six.
- He is blessed in having such a family.
- His crimes stained the family honor.
- Mrs. Hall is well known to all the family, and I am certain that she will make a good servant in your house.
- There has been a lot of illness in the family recently.
- Would you steal from your own family?
- She was sustained by pride in her family.
- Who is more powerful in your family?
- She brought honour to her family.
- Something unfortunate must have happened to his family.
- Many families keeps snakes.
- We won't have a family until we've been married a few years.
- When do you hope to start a family?
- Her family is a large family so that she has to be often ignored.
- Tom is the eldest of the family.
- Does he has any family?
- Give my regards to Mr. Jones and family.
- Mary's whole family united in disapproving Jim.
- The family live in the big mansion near the coast.
- My family is very large.
- Mr. Smith and his family came together.
- My family have gone to my aunt's, but I stay at home.
- She disgraced her family and friends.
- The picture reminded him of his home and family in Taiwan.
- Though hardworking, he can hardly support his family.
- If you can't support your family, you can at least apply for relief.
- We'll let his family know that he is in danger.
- His family can trace its history back to the tenth century.
- Some families have farmed in this area for hundreds of years.
- Spanish belongs to the same language family as Italian, both being descended from Latin.
- The horse family also includes the donkey.
- The royal family consists of the king and queen and their relatives.
- The royal family is insulated from many of the difficulties faced by ordinary people.
- Many families have lived in new houses.
- His family are spending a holiday these days.
- Smith family are all very athletic.
- Are your family all well?
- The family were all present.
- These houses were built for families.
- He decided to reduce family expenses.
- The will obliges the heirs to live in the family mansion.
- Despite his poverty he refused to part with the family jewels.
- I go home every summer to see my family relations.
- His illness added to the family's troubles.
- I don't know any other family who would do so much.
- bring up a family 养家,养育妻子儿女
- come of a family 出身于…家庭
- disgrace one's family 给家庭带来耻辱
- have a family 有家庭
- head a family 担当一家之主
- leave one's family 抛弃家庭,离家出走
- limit the family 限制生育
- protect one's family 保护自己的家庭
- raise a family 养育家庭
- start a family 成家
- support one's family 供养家庭,养家糊口
- unite two -lies 联合两家
- big family 大家庭,人口多的家庭
- broken family 破裂的家庭
- complete family 父母双全的家庭
- entire family 全家
- good family 良家
- happy family 幸福的家庭
- high family 门第高的家庭
- large family 子女多的家庭
- lower-income family 收入少的家庭
- middle-class family 中产阶级家庭
- middle-income family 收入中等的家庭
- noble family 贵族名门,显贵的家庭
- poor family 贫穷的家庭
- rich family 富有的家庭
- single-parent family 单亲家庭
- small family 小家庭
- special family 特殊家庭
- upper-income family 收入高的家庭
- wealthy family 豪门富户
- well-to-do family 富裕的家庭
- whole family 全家
- in family 家中
- man of good family 名门子弟
- with a family 有家(要照应)
- animals of the cat family 猫科动物
- members of the deer family 鹿科动物
I am of Anglo-Irish stock on both sides of my family.出自： Day Lewis
- family的意思是“家庭”,指“家庭全体成员”时,为集合名词,作主语时,谓语动词要用复数形式。作为“家庭整体”看待时,谓语动词要用单数形式。谓语动词无论是单数形式还是复数形式, family都应该用复数代词指代。
- family, dwelling, home, house, residence
- 这五个词都有“家,家庭,家宅”的意思。其区别在于:home指某人出生以及成长的环境或与某人一起居住的地方; dwelling为文学用语,用以同商店、办公室及其他建筑物相区别的住宅; family指的是家庭成员,与居住地无关; house强调人们居住的建筑物本身; residence常指周围大片土地的宅邸,也可指普通的房屋,尤其是自己的住宅。例如:
- There's nothing like home.哪儿也没有家里好。
- Their clothes were in rags and their dwellings were small and poorly furnished.他们衣衫褴褛,住房狭小,家具简陋。
- Because our family is happy and healthy we reckon ourselves fortunate.因为我们一家人幸福健康,我们认为我们是幸运的。
- She offered to help Rose in house keeping when I was not here.我不在时,她主动帮助露丝料理家务。
- Buy a house, build a home.买一所房子,安一个家。
- The President's residence is the White House in Washington,D.C.总统的官邸是华盛顿特区的白宫。
- in a family way, in the family way
- 在英式英语中, in a family way作“不拘小节”解, in the family way作“怀孕”解; 而在美式英语中, in a family way和in the family way都作“怀孕”解。例如:
- She spoke to me in a family way.她与我说话不拘礼节。
- It makes folks happy to see a girl in the family way.人们看到女孩怀孕了会感到高兴。
- Sue and Liz are happy because their mother is in the family way.苏和利兹都很高兴,因为妈妈就要生孩子了。
- How are your family?
- How is your family?
- 如果侧重家里的每个人,则用“are”; 如果侧重全家,则用“is”,但在回答时都应用are。
- My family〔They〕 are all well.全家都好。
- a teacher family 一个教师之家(全是教师)
- a teacher's family 一位教师的家(主人是教师)
- He is family man.
- He is a man of family.
误 My family is all tall.
正 My family are all tall.
误 My family are very large.
正 My family is very large.
误 He abandoned his cosy family.
正 He abandoned his cosy home.
析 “家”是home,指一个人出生和居住的处所; 而family指家庭成员的集体或个体。王家已搬进新住宅。
误 The Wang of the family has moved into the new house.
正 The Wang family has moved into the new house.
- ☆ 1400年左右进入英语，直接源自古典拉丁语的familia，意为家庭，住户；最初源自未知语的famulus，意为仆人。