- 郑重其事的,非常认真的 determined and serious, especially too serious
something of value given by one person to another to bind a contract
characterized by a firm and humorless belief in the validity of your opinions;
"both sides were deeply in earnest, even passionate"
"an entirely sincere and cruel tyrant"
"a film with a solemn social message"
"one's dearest wish"
"devout wishes for their success"
not distracted by anything unrelated to the goal
- I'm sure he was earnest when he said he would come.
- He is a good, earnest, diligent student.
- I strive to live each day with earnest gratitude.
- Earnest was legally unnecessary.
- The money was given in earnest to finalize the contract.
- The current economic slump is an earnest of the major recession to come.
- You will have to pay"earnest money" to guarantee your participation till the end of the tender.
- She spoke half in sport, half in earnest.
- At last he has settled to his work in earnest.
- I could tell she spoke in earnest.
- We made an earnest endeavor to persuade her.
- Life is real and earnest.
- He is earnest about his studies.
- in earnest
I am in great Earnest when I declare..that I have a deep conviction.出自： J. Wesley
The snow..began again in earnest.出自： L. Garfield
Destruction, savagery; an earnest..of the universal doom.出自： R. Macaulay
What earnest can you give me that you will perform what you promised?出自： J. Rathbone
There was a good deal of earnest impetuosity in his temper.出自： I. D
The thought of going to college took root in my heart and became an earnest desire.出自： H. Keller
The chapel was..filled with an earnest congregation.出自： E. M. Forster
- earnest, ardent, eager, enthusiastic, zealous
- 1.eager指对成功的期望或进取的热情; earnest表示认真执著地对待一项工作; ardent指有如火一般炽热的感情; enthusiastic指根据爱好、兴趣而产生的热情洋溢的情感; zealous多指奉献的热情,也可指强烈的宗教信仰。例如:
- She is enthusiastic about the new teaching method.她对新的教学方法很热心。
- He was an ardent supporter of the reform.他是改革的热情支持者。
- It is my earnest wish that you use this money to further your research.我真诚希望你用这笔钱继续你的研究工作。
- The youths like to be zealous for liberty and freedom.青年人喜欢热情地追求自由。
- 2.eager含有难以等待或难以抑制的意味; earnest带有充满热情、专心、无私的含义; enthusiastic含有对某事极端酷爱、仰慕或赞许的含义; zealous则暗示热情来自信仰或态度以及为此而采取行动的可能性。例如:
- He made an earnest attempt to persuade her.他热心努力地去说服她。
- I am enthusiastic over a project for building a new bridge.我热衷于修建一座新桥的规划。
- They were zealous in the pursuit of the truth.他们热切追求真理。
- 3.earnest比eager更慎重、认真、持久; enthusiastic比earnest更生动。例如:
- Mary is an earnest student.玛丽是个认真的学生。
- When we put the suggestion to him he was enthusiastic for its immediate application.当我们把这项建议提交给他时,他热衷于马上把它付诸实施。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的eornost，意为热切的。
- serious 严肃的
- sincere 真诚的
- determined 坚定的
- resolute 坚决的
- decided 确定的
- devoted 投入的
- solemn 庄严的
- heartfelt 衷心的
- grave 坟墓
- sober 清醒的
- intense 强大的
- deep 深的
- strong 强烈的
- businesslike 有效率的
- devout 虔诚的
- dear 亲爱的