- 黑暗的 with no or very little light
- (颜色)深色的,暗色的 (of colour) not reflecting much light; nearer black than white
- (皮肤、毛发等)棕黑的 (of the skin) not fair
- 隐藏的,神秘的 hidden, mysterious
- 无希望的,悲伤的,无精打采的 hopeless; sad; cheerless
- (道德或智力上)未启蒙的,未发展的 unenlightened (morally or intellectually)
- 意义不明的,不易了解的,暧昧的 not clear to the mind
- [U]傍晚,黄昏 the time of day when there is no light
- [S]黑暗; 无光 absence of light
- [U]愚昧; 无知 ignorance; absence of knowledge
- absence of light or illumination
- absence of moral or spiritual values;
"the powers of darkness"
- an unilluminated area;
"he moved off into the darkness"
- the time after sunset and before sunrise while it is dark outside
- an unenlightened state;
"he was in the dark concerning their intentions"
"his lectures dispelled the darkness"
- devoid of or deficient in light or brightness; shadowed or black;
"sitting in a dark corner"
"a dark day"
"dark as the inside of a black cat"
- (used of color) having a dark hue;
"dark colors like wine red or navy blue"
- brunet (used of hair or skin or eyes);
- stemming from evil characteristics or forces; wicked or dishonorable;
"a black lie"
"his black heart has concocted yet another black deed"
"Darth Vader of the dark side"
"a dark purpose"
"dark undercurrents of ethnic hostility"
"the scheme of some sinister intelligence bent on punishing him"
"keep it dark"
- showing a brooding ill humor;
"a dark scowl"
"the proverbially dour New England Puritan"
"a glum, hopeless shrug"
"he sat in moody silence"
"a morose and unsociable manner"
"a saturnine, almost misanthropic young genius"
"a sour temper"
"a sullen crowd"
- lacking enlightenment or knowledge or culture;
"this benighted country"
"benighted ages of barbarism and superstition"
"the dark ages"
"a dark age in the history of education"
- marked by difficulty of style or expression;
"much that was dark is now quite clear to me"
"those who do not appreciate Kafka's work say his style is obscure"
- causing dejection;
"a blue day"
"the dark days of the war"
"a week of rainy depressing weather"
"a disconsolate winter landscape"
"the first dismal dispiriting days of November"
"a dark gloomy day"
"grim rainy weather"
- having skin rich in melanin pigments;
"National Association for the Advancement of Colored People"
- not giving performances; closed;
"the theater is dark on Mondays"
- It's a dark and moonless night.
- He ran against a lamp post in the dark.
- Reading in the dark is bad for the eyes.
That was a dark, moonless night.
The long dark night passed by.
The darkest hour is before the dawn.
A dark cloud is a sign of rain.
You seem in a dark temper.
There is some dark meaning in his words.
The war was a dark period for us.
It is dark.
When I got up at five that cold morning, it was pitch dark.
It was not quite dark as yet.
It was nearly dark when we came home.
It was getting dark when they arrived at the farm.
It's so dark here in the garden I think you'd better lead the way.
Outside the forest, it was not so dark.
The colour of this cloth is too dark.
The prospects look dark.
The building is dark with soot and smoke.
It is as dark as pitch.
He was always quite dark about that matter.
His face was dark with anger.
The night is too dark for us to see.
It's getting too dark to take photographs.
So dark are the shadows that a man standing there could not be seen.
The dark came very early.
You should turn the light on at dark.
They work from dawn till dark.
Some little children are afraid of the dark.
I made out two dim shapes in the dark.
The blind live in the dark.
They groped in the dark.
I hit my head against the door in the dark.
I could see the beam of his flashlight waving around in the dark.
She struggled in the dark, without advice, without encouragement.
There is too much dark in this painting.
- dark horse
黑马(有本事而深藏不露的人) person who hides special personal qualities or abilities
He's a bit of a dark horse: he was earning a fortune, but nobody knew. 他可算是藏龙卧虎:赚大钱,但没人知道。
Don't think you'll beat him easily, he may be a dark horse. 不要以为你会轻而易举地胜过他,他可能是出人意料的高手。
- 黑马(有本事而深藏不露的人) person who hides special personal qualities or abilities
- keep dark
保守秘密 keep as a secret; conceal keep sth dark
He kept his political activities dark.他对他的政治活动保守秘密。
I'll keep it dark about it as possible.对那件事我尽可能保密。
He keeps his plans dark.他对他的计划秘而不宣。
- 保守秘密 keep as a secret; conceal keep sth dark
- a leap〔shot〕 in the dark
盲目冒险地干,回答等 action, answer, etc. that is risked in the hope that it is correct
It's hard to know exactly what to do—we'll just have to take a shot in the dark. 很难说我们怎么办才对——我们只好瞎碰。
Jane's attempt to find her lost ring in the long grass was just a shot in the dark. 简试图在草丛中找回她丢失的戒指,那真是一种毫无成功希望的举动。
- 盲目冒险地干,回答等 action, answer, etc. that is risked in the hope that it is correct
- before〔after〕 dark
在天黑以前〔以后〕before〔after〕 the sun goes down
Try to get home before dark. 尽量在天黑以前回家。
He came to my house before dark. 他在日暮之前到我家来。
She will get home before dark. 她天黑以前将到家。
We still have some way to walk before dark. 天黑以前我们还要走一段路。
He arrived after dark. 他天黑以后才到达。
Is it safe to walk the streets after dark? 天黑以后在街上行走安全吗?
I'm afraid to go out after dark in the city. 在城里,我害怕天黑后出门。
I never returned home from the office after dark. 我从不在日落后由事务所回家。
- 在天黑以前〔以后〕before〔after〕 the sun goes down
- in the dark
无知,不知 in a state of ignorance
He kept me in the dark about it. 他将此事隐瞒不使我知道。
I am completely in the dark concerning their plans. 我对他们的计划一无所知。
We are still in the dark about the cause of the fire. 我们还不清楚起火的原因。
I was in the dark about it until she told me. 这件事在她告诉我之前,我毫不知情。
We were kept completely in the dark about his plan to sell the company. 对他计划将公司出售一事,我们一直蒙在鼓里。
- 无知,不知 in a state of ignorance
- dark complexion 棕黑的肤色
- dark corner of the room 房间黑暗的角落
- dark dress 深色的衣服
- dark night 一个黑暗的夜晚
- dark secret 十分秘密的事
- dark threat 隐伏的威胁
- dark box (照相机)暗箱
- dark chocolate 不含牛奶或含奶量极少的巧克力
- dark day 烟雾迷蒙的日子,处于逆境的时候
- dark eyes 黑眼睛
- dark hour 不吉之时,运气不佳之时
- dark light 不可见光
- dark moon 一个月之中地球上看不见月亮的时候
- dark sentence 不易解释之语
- the dark Ages 欧洲中世纪
- the dark continent 黑暗的大陆(殖民主义者对非洲的蔑称)
- abysmally dark 漆黑无底地,黑暗莫测地
- alarmingly dark 黑暗得使人惊恐地
- appreciably dark 黑暗得可以想象地
- blessedly dark 黑暗得使人安宁地,黑暗得该死地
- fearfully dark 极黑暗地,黑暗得可怕地
- fragrantly dark 黑暗得使人恬静
- frightfully dark 极黑暗地,黑暗得可怕地
- impenetrably dark 黑暗得莫测地,抽象黑色地
- intensely dark 黑暗得窒息地
- mysteriously dark 黑暗得神秘地,抽象黑色地
- nearly dark 快黑天了
- oppressively dark 黑暗得沉闷,暗色浓重地
- peacefully dark 宁静地黑暗,平和暗色地
- perilously dark 黑暗得危险地
- quite dark 完全黑下来
- suddenly dark 突然变黑地,意外地黑
- thickly dark 非常黑暗,浓黑色地
- totally dark 完全黑下来地,全黑色地
- uneasily dark 黑暗得令人不安,黑暗得令人忧郁
- unnaturally dark 违背人道地黑暗,反常地黑下来
- utterly dark 完全地黑下来,纯黑色地
- dark with clouds 由于多云而很阴暗
- abysmal dark 极无知,无底的黑暗
- creeping dark 渐渐降临的暮色,可怕的黑夜
- early dark 薄暮
- fierce dark 令人难受的死一般的黑夜,极无知
- fragrant dark 恬静的黑夜,芬芳的日暮
- frosty dark 寒冷的黑夜
- haunted dark 鬼魂作祟的黑夜,闹鬼的黑夜
- intricate dark 抽象的黑色
- impenetrable dark 打不破的黑暗,神秘的黑暗
- leafy dark 树叶茂盛而显得暗的
- lugubrious dark 阴郁的日暮,悲哀的无知
- peaceful dark 宁静的黑夜,祥和的暮色
- perilous dark 危险的黑夜,危险的无知
- shadowed dark 阴暗的暮色,朦胧的暮色
- shuddering dark 可怕的黑暗
- silent dark 寂静的黑夜,宁静的暮色
- too much dark 太暗
The Darks of Hell.出自：Defoe
I..stayed away till dark.出自：J. Rhys
I couldn't see his face in the dark.出自：A. Lurie
The alley was dark except for one patch of light.出自：O. Henry
It was a dark night with no moon.出自：Scott Fitzgerald
- 形容词dark有时也可受名词修饰,如pitch dark night意为“漆黑的夜晚”。
- in the dark有两种意思,即“在黑暗中”“不知,蒙在鼓里”。
- dark, dim
dark与dim都有“黑暗”的意思,其区别是：dark的意思是“黑暗的”,指黑暗无光,而dim的意思是“灰暗的”,表示由于光照不足所造成的昏暗状态,刚好达到看不清或分辨不清物体。修饰光线、灯光、阳光等只能用dim。例如:With only the fire burning, the room was dim.只有火炉在燃烧,房里光线很暗。He was reading a magazine under the dim light of a candle.他在微弱的烛光下看杂志。
- dark, darkness
这两个词都有“黑暗”的意思。其区别是：1.dark多指经常的状况; darkness指一时的状况。例如:The old man enjoys sitting in the dark.这位老人喜欢坐在暗处。For a time, they kept silent, sitting in the darkness.他们一段时间坐在暗处,一言不发。2.表示“傍晚”时,只能用dark,不能用darkness。例如:The city looks more beautiful at dark.傍晚时分,这个城市显得更加美丽。3.in the dark表示“不知,蒙在鼓里”时,不能用darkness。
- dark dim black gloomy obscure vague grey
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的dorec，意为黑暗。
- adj.(形容词) black cloudy darkling dim evil gloomy grim ignorant infamous joyless lightless obscure shadowy shady wicked