- vt. 纪念
- vt. 纪念,庆祝 be in remember of sb/sth; give honour to the memory of sb/sth
mark by some ceremony or observation;
"The citizens mark the anniversary of the revolution with a march and a parade"
call to remembrance; keep alive the memory of someone or something, as in a ceremony;
"We remembered the 50th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz"
"Remember the dead of the First World War"
be or provide a memorial to a person or an event;
"This sculpture commemorates the victims of the concentration camps"
"We memorialized the Dead"
- A monument was built to commemorate the victory.
- Christmas commemorates the birth of Christ.
- They reared a monument to commemorate the great musician.
- We celebrate this day to commemorate the brave soldiers.
- Today, moon cakes are eaten to commemorate this event.
- This building was built to commemorate the Fire of London.
- They built a tower to commemorate their victory.
- commemorate, celebrate
- celebrate着重指外表或行动上的欢庆,如举行盛会、张灯结彩等; 而commemorate着重唤起对某一事件的记忆,该事件不一定是使人欢庆的。例如:
- They had a party to celebrate their silver wedding.他们举行聚会来庆祝他们的银婚。
- This building was built to commemorate the Fire of London.这栋大楼是为纪念“伦敦大火”而兴建的。